Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oof there was part of a ladder in the freeway yesterday but it was in easy to dodge from where I was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

Takes No Damage posted:

A while back I posted a clip of a mattress in the middle of the freeway, then yesterday:

I was really hoping you were going to post a clip of what I saw on 183 yesterday: a beat to poo poo old pickup truck flew past me in the far left lane doing about 80. About a half mile later, everyone in the left lane starts slamming on their brakes and coming to a dead stop. At the head of the line was the beater, living up to its appearance, with the hood smashed flat back against the windshield.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

I picked up the apeman c420d mainly because I had been wanting a dashcam for a while but particularly as restrictions ended I kept having people try to merge on top of me. So far pretty happy with it quality wise (mic is really poo poo though) I'm just fiddling with placement and need to install the rear camera on my next clear off day.

My largest problem is the windshield tends to reflect my dash quite a bit and while it's not affecting anything it's a little annoying. Do people tend to adjust the exposure on them before each trip?

Also it's getting sunny and hot here in Nashville so I take it off the hook and stick it in my glovebox when parked, but I'm wondering if that's going to keep being a good solution for not wanting to leave it in the sunlight as we head into the high 90 degree months. I don't have it tinted and really have never bothered with a sunshield although both probably wouldn't be a bad idea in general.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

the paradigm shift posted:

My largest problem is the windshield tends to reflect my dash quite a bit and while it's not affecting anything it's a little annoying. Do people tend to adjust the exposure on them before each trip?

You usually use a circular polarizing filter (CPL) to deal with that.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It doesn’t need to be a circular polariser.

SLRs need them because of the internal mirror.

It’s all the same to the image sensor. A linear polariser works fine.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

the paradigm shift posted:

Also it's getting sunny and hot here in Nashville so I take it off the hook and stick it in my glovebox when parked, but I'm wondering if that's going to keep being a good solution for not wanting to leave it in the sunlight as we head into the high 90 degree months. I don't have it tinted and really have never bothered with a sunshield although both probably wouldn't be a bad idea in general.

Most dashcams are made with some heat tolerance in mind, that's why they use capacitors instead of batteries. I've never had a problem with heat for any of mine in Dallas, but I also have covered parking both at home and work so I'm only sitting out in the sun a few hours a day.

SPEAKING OF MERGING INTO YOU...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb9WqSsm_OM

BULLETKISS
Jul 3, 2003

What do you use to trim your videos? I have a long video and tried to trim it, but it saved to windows movie player and after it was trimmed it won't play. Looking for a free program that's easy to use. It shouldn't be this difficult, but I have a windows 7 pc and google isnt helping.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Shotcut is a pretty good opensource cross-platform nonlinear editor; I've used it for a couple years now.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Just want to remind you that basically any camera will allow you to change the recording clip length, and I recommend you keep them at about 60 seconds. Much easier to handle/upload/edit/email.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
^^^
This is fair. Most cameras seem to default to 3 minutes, but at 1440/30fps that's still 600mb each file for me. Can be a pain to transfer the files around if I'm not at home.

Craptacular posted:

Shotcut is a pretty good opensource cross-platform nonlinear editor; I've used it for a couple years now.

+1, what I use as well. Still a little bit of a learning curve of course, but there are user forums and tutorials on YouTube so if all you want to do is 'fade in at x, fade out at y, output to .mp4' then it's really easy.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 06:16 on May 29, 2020

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

BULLETKISS posted:

What do you use to trim your videos? I have a long video and tried to trim it, but it saved to windows movie player and after it was trimmed it won't play. Looking for a free program that's easy to use. It shouldn't be this difficult, but I have a windows 7 pc and google isnt helping.

definitely overkill but Blackmagic is professional level (I think?) video editing software and free to use

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Takes No Damage posted:

Most dashcams are made with some heat tolerance in mind, that's why they use capacitors instead of batteries. I've never had a problem with heat for any of mine in Dallas, but I also have covered parking both at home and work so I'm only sitting out in the sun a few hours a day.

I haven't had any specific heat related issues with a dashcam and I leave my vehicles in uncovered parking year round in AZ. My ancient G1W went flaky after a few years (constantly resetting date) but as far as I can tell that was par for the course with that camera, and it got enough heat over the years that the plastics were noticeably lighter in color than a spare I had laying around in storage.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

What’s the current thread consensus on a good dash cam?

I have the one in the OP but the LiPo batter ballooned and soldering in a new one didn’t save it either. I checked on Amazon and there are so many legit looking ones now, I no longer know what I’m looking at.

a primate fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jun 1, 2020

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I went for the wirecutter recommendation and it works well. I like that I can do all the settings and grab video from my phone and it's super small and goes behind my mirror. I also ended up getting it like half the price as an ebay refurb so there's that.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-dash-cam/

I see a lot of people getting the Viofo stuff though.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Rusty posted:

I went for the wirecutter recommendation and it works well. I like that I can do all the settings and grab video from my phone and it's super small and goes behind my mirror. I also ended up getting it like half the price as an ebay refurb so there's that.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-dash-cam/

I see a lot of people getting the Viofo stuff though.

Neat, I wondered whether those wedge shaped ones were any good.

Are the $50-60 ones on Amazon any good? I wasn’t planning to spend over a hundred but if that’s what it takes to get a capacitor vs. a battery then welp

I’d buy another G1W but the mount it came with never stuck to my windshield and the LiPo battery skeeves me out. Bought it from CalgaryDashCam which afaik no longer exists

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

In like YI brand stuff: they get good reviews, the picture quality looks good (plenty of examples on YouTube) a d the android app seems to actually work.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I wouldn't buy another G1W at this point, if for no other reason than the camera vibrates like hell on that dangly mount. I've had Aukeys in my Jeeps and I'm happy with them. (I'm pretty sure that's not the first time I've hosed up the brand, lol)

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jun 2, 2020

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003
I've got one of these Aukey DR02 low profile wedge shaped dashcams with capacitor
I've had it for about 2 years, and it's done fine so far with 100F+ temperatures. It doesn't have any fancy features like wifi/bluetooth transfers, so you've gotta take the camera down or take the card out to get videos off of it.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

I’m a fan of DodTech cams. The one I use (LS470W+) records in full Hi-Def and has excellent low light abilities. You won’t get one for under $100 though.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

I have an old hand me down iPhone that has no memory so old fashioned SD card storage sounds great.

Thanks for all the recommendations :)
I think I’ll buy an Aukey

a primate fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 2, 2020

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

a primate posted:

I have an old hand me down iPhone that has no memory so old fashioned SD card storage sounds great.

Thanks for all the recommendations :)
I think I’ll buy an Aukey
The nextbase still uses flash, you just don't have to remove it to get the video off if you don't want to, you can though.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I'm probably an outlier here, but I have been very happy with my Garmin DriveAssist 51. Then again I do a lot of delivery poo poo so my use case is slightly different that just "record what's going on".

The VIRB app absolutely sucks rear end though. Ad-hoc Wifi video transfers have a transfer rate that I could swear is from the dialup era.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I have bought 5 of these so far, all working like a Swiss clock. Decent video, tiny size, capacitor, WiFi connection, what what could you ask for? $55. Oh, and I use 256gig card, no problem. Oldest camera is 3 years old by now, used daily.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0773FXVKL/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_ibL1EbKSVFJQE

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Nitrox posted:

I have bought 5 of these so far, all working like a Swiss clock. Decent video, tiny size, capacitor, WiFi connection, what what could you ask for? $55. Oh, and I use 256gig card, no problem. Oldest camera is 3 years old by now, used daily.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0773FXVKL/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_ibL1EbKSVFJQE

Do you run one in the front and back window? Anything else you can recommend with them, or is everything out of the box good?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

lazydog posted:

I've got one of these Aukey DR02 low profile wedge shaped dashcams with capacitor
I've had it for about 2 years, and it's done fine so far with 100F+ temperatures. It doesn't have any fancy features like wifi/bluetooth transfers, so you've gotta take the camera down or take the card out to get videos off of it.

I'm running this one too for about a year now, no issues. I like how small it is, disappears behind my rear view mirror.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

IOwnCalculus posted:

I wouldn't buy another G1W at this point, if for no other reason than the camera vibrates like hell on that dangly mount. I've had Aukeys in my Jeeps and I'm happy with them. (I'm pretty sure that's not the first time I've hosed up the brand, lol)

I couldn't tell you the model Aukey I had in my jeep, but other than the ease of wiring it had no redeeming qualities. And it died after about two months in the Nevada heat.

Edit: This was 2016 or 17, I have no idea what they've got now. I have other Aukey electronics that I like, though.

Edit2: That DR02 looks interesting.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 2, 2020

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Nocheez posted:

Do you run one in the front and back window? Anything else you can recommend with them, or is everything out of the box good?
I only run one in the front, both of my cars. Then I bought several to give away as presents, and everyone seemed too happy with them. No reported issues. My original camera got a firmware update, and I would look into that when you get yours. But I don't think it was necessary, it works right out the box. But if it's available, why not?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eOHlz0VKeI

I hate having to assume nobody around here knows how to use a roundabout, but it's saved me from several accidents.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

CornHolio posted:

I hate having to assume nobody around here knows how to use a roundabout, but it's saved me from several accidents.

Dude, I know your pain. There are two famous rotaries here on the Cape, and I'm regularly avoiding accidents on them. My favorite is people who signal and move into the inner lane of the rotary, then sweep to the outside, moving three loving lanes right to get off immediately. It's crazy making.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

CornHolio posted:

North Indy?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

stevewm posted:

North Indy?

nah, South Bend, right by Notre Dame. I know the ones you speak of, though.

Here's another one. Don't try to take a roundabout while high.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqAp1Q9DSfg

Dude entered a roundabout (cutting off a car that was in it), came nearly to a stop in the roundabout, then used the two exiting lanes all to himself, flooring it only when I went to go around his slow-moving rear end.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 15, 2020

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I don't think this is the AI consensus, but a lot of people around here like to poo poo on roundabouts because they think they cause accidents. Compared to a 2-way or 4-way stop, yeah a bad driver is going to mess it up. However, the accidents that happen in a roundabout, whether caused by the thing or not, are FAR less severe than a similar accident at a 2-way or 4-way stop.

CornHolio posted:

Even if the grey Forester (or whatever that was) kept going and hit you, they're going almost the same direction as you and the impact would be far less severe. It would be a sideswipe instead of a T-bone. Since head-on accidents are all but impossible, the worst accident you'll have is rear-ending someone. Even then, it'll be far less severe since you have to slow down to use the thing in the first place. Compare that with a 2-way and 4-way intersection, you can blast straight through at full speed if you want. Signals and signs can't stop you, but islands and obstructions very much will.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

NoWake posted:

I don't think this is the AI consensus, but a lot of people around here like to poo poo on roundabouts because they think they cause accidents. Compared to a 2-way or 4-way stop, yeah a bad driver is going to mess it up. However, the accidents that happen in a roundabout, whether caused by the thing or not, are FAR less severe than a similar accident at a 2-way or 4-way stop.

Even if the grey Forester (or whatever that was) kept going and hit you, they're going almost the same direction as you and the impact would be far less severe. It would be a sideswipe instead of a T-bone. Since head-on accidents are all but impossible, the worst accident you'll have is rear-ending someone. Even then, it'll be far less severe since you have to slow down to use the thing in the first place. Compare that with a 2-way and 4-way intersection, you can blast straight through at full speed if you want. Signals and signs can't stop you, but islands and obstructions very much will.

Oh I agree completely, I love roundabouts. I just with the people around here knew how to use them.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

CornHolio posted:

Oh I agree completely, I love roundabouts. I just with the people around here knew how to use them.

About 2 years ago a new roundabout was added on the newly built US50 bypass around North Vernon, IN in southern Indiana.

I have been through this roundabout 3 times since it was built. I have almost been hit 3 times in it.

People just can't seem to understand the concept of YIELD.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

CornHolio posted:

Same. I love them and it annoys me that Americans can't figure them out, they're often installed in non-round configurations, and Americans can't seem to figure out "yield". It doesn't help that the rules vary state to state. There are rotaries in Connecticut where vehicles entering have the right of way. :wtf:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah we have uncontrolled intersections in Seattle which means you yield to the right.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

https://twitter.com/RussianMemesLtd/status/1273248530858012672

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The hell is going on with people blazing through reds in this intersection :psyduck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBFENk6KyuE

e:

NoWake posted:

Signals and signs can't stop you, but islands and obstructions very much will.

:thunk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjCWmQbR2vQ

:thunk: :thunk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A7a6JjIK8I

:thunk: :thunk: :thunk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUqfG0t1W9U

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 18, 2020

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
There's no traffic device that can deal with somebody like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Charles posted:

There's no traffic device that can deal with somebody like that.

Listen, and understand. Those drivers are out there. They can’t be bargained with. They can’t be reasoned with. They don't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And they absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead.