Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
How in the hell are Fiero kits still around? How many donor cars can there be at this point? Like, it kind of made sense when a clean Fiero was easy to come by and cheap, but at this point most of them are rusty basket cases if they are still driving. The thought of tearing into one of those is nauseating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

i own every Bionicle posted:

How in the hell are Fiero kits still around? How many donor cars can there be at this point? Like, it kind of made sense when a clean Fiero was easy to come by and cheap, but at this point most of them are rusty basket cases if they are still driving. The thought of tearing into one of those is nauseating.

Are you in for a treat my friend. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7MvJcb2I6mYLHlI7eyPZ9JHE2Znstm0y

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

https://jalopnik.com/fieros-forever-giving-away-tools-and-rare-pontiac-parts-1843729198

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

There's four Fiero's for sale 25 minutes from my house. But you have to buy all four.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

They're around, but I'm guessing that all that exists currently are the molds to make new ones, or possibly maybe one or two sets that have been in storage/someone's barn for the last 25+ years.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I'm tempted for a summer gently caress around car to drive in the mountains and not care about it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Rhyno posted:

There's four Fiero's for sale 25 minutes from my house. But you have to buy all four.

So what's the downside?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Coredump posted:

I'm tempted for a summer gently caress around car to drive in the mountains and not care about it.

buy a lovely miata instead.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Suburban Dad posted:

qft

For that much you could get a decent NA/NB and have a much better car

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Suburban Dad posted:

I wish I could fit in either of those cars (I like the Saturn version better, though)

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Rhyno posted:

At the Napa?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Colostomy Bag posted:

At the Napa?

Yup!

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Coredump posted:

I still lol at the Solstice's trunk.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

I'm gonna make a kit to convert Camrys into Fieros to keep a steady supply of donors.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/dallas-1978-el-camino/7137298515.html

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

“Some rust.”

That might be the cleanest g-body Elky I’ve ever seen. They’re normally completely hosed into the ground. Like, I remember looking at 80s Elkys in the late nineties, and they were all rusty piles of poo poo because some pool guy filled the bed with chlorine for six months and poo poo like that.

I’m not saying it’s worth $5k, but I’d probably take a swing at him for $2.5k, see if he bites.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Yeah, the last one I saw that clean was my dad's, back in 1985 or so. I also didn't know if $5k was a good deal, but it didn't seem like a bad deal.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Nice G Bodies in general are starting to command a premium due to how badly they dissolved due to some design choices. As an example the doors tend to rot from the bottom as the drains are too small so when the rubber and felts go from windows a water just gets in and has no where to go.

I had a 1985 Elko SS that was a complete basket case after being left in the woods behind someone’s house for 10 years. Got it running and drove it around the yard a bit but it was clearly made out of at least 3 other cars, had a badly swapped in 350, bend suspension from a side hit and was home to an ant colony so it got stripped and sold as parts.

Driving a G Body reminds you of the 80s and not in a good way.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
g bodys are body on frame so you don't need body panels. just sayin.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
One of my friends spent an ungodly amount of money building a choo choo el camino. It's awesome but slow as balls.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

MrYenko posted:

“Some rust.”

That might be the cleanest g-body Elky I’ve ever seen. They’re normally completely hosed into the ground. Like, I remember looking at 80s Elkys in the late nineties, and they were all rusty piles of poo poo because some pool guy filled the bed with chlorine for six months and poo poo like that.

I’m not saying it’s worth $5k, but I’d probably take a swing at him for $2.5k, see if he bites.

A car with "some rust" here in Dallas is a lot less than "some rust" in, say the Northeast, which we would typically describe as rust with "some car".
$5K seems a bit high, but I'm a cheapskate, and I've already done my G-body penance with an '81 Regal V6. which I *almost* wish I still had.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

call text jim ANY time

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
"George Barris style"...gently caress off.

It looks like the Nimbus from Futurama.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

https://eauclaire.craigslist.org/ctd/d/stockholm-1974-rolls-royce-silver/7139799175.html

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i cannot decide whether the tree fiddy is good or not

upside: its more reliable and parts are available
downside: po bodge job and also it's not nearly as cool

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Would, but not $12K would.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Would. The interior looks nice and that car is pure class. Upgrade the stereo and it would probably be a fine daily. Put a bottle of grey pupon in the backseat and throw in the horn from Caddyshack too for maximum enjoyment.

I also suspect it's one of those cars you can drive for a couple of years and it won't lose any value at all. Or I could at least list it for $15k and shrug when it never sells.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
it might not lose value but i think your total running costs are likely to be somewhat high

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

slidebite posted:

Would, but not $12K would.

StormDrain posted:

Would. The interior looks nice and that car is pure class. Upgrade the stereo and it would probably be a fine daily. Put a bottle of grey pupon in the backseat and throw in the horn from Caddyshack too for maximum enjoyment.

I also suspect it's one of those cars you can drive for a couple of years and it won't lose any value at all. Or I could at least list it for $15k and shrug when it never sells.

Grey Poupon goes in the glove box.

YouTuber WatchJRGo acquire a '74 for $1400, and put an LSx and 4L80 in it for drifting. They put a bunch of stickers on it to take it to Cleetus And Cars at the time, but it still looks stock on the outside and mostly inside, just a Holley touchscreen dash replacing the original gauges, but skinned to look like them. They managed to rib the diff mounting subframe out doing burnouts, and are replacing the IRS with a Ford 9". I would have fixed the original - they just tore up the ancient rubber subframe mounts, and the original diff (which they welded for skids) is like a 10" ring gear. They also replaced the overwrought braking system. The thing had a valve that *kept you from stopping too abruptly*. You know, for the comfort of Sir in the back. Sadly, they did have to eliminate the electric shifter.
I would totally own one if I could find a reasonable one. WatchJRGo's actually ran, but had bad gas and those damned SU carbs. Modern EFI on the 6-3/4 would probably be an substantial improvement. Or even an Edelbrock 4-barrel.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Supposedly the six and three quarter is built like a fuckin tank with forged everything and has low compression for smoothness and will thus take boost very well

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Supposedly the six and three quarter is built like a fuckin tank with forged everything and has low compression for smoothness and will thus take boost very well

Pretty much.
“No fucks given” Corbin built one as a drift machine/polarizing art with a huge turbo and blow-through Holley. It’s got plenty of pier to spin the tires. His build is how I know about the diff. I hate some of the things he did with his car - it was in very good shape, and he ratted it a lot to stick with his NFG aesthetic.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Darchangel posted:

Pretty much.
“No fucks given” Corbin built one as a drift machine/polarizing art with a huge turbo and blow-through Holley. It’s got plenty of pier to spin the tires. His build is how I know about the diff. I hate some of the things he did with his car - it was in very good shape, and he ratted it a lot to stick with his NFG aesthetic.

Actually yeah that’s where I learned about it. I agree about him ruining one in nice shape. On one hand old Rolls in good shape are pretty easy to come by and pretty cheap for what they are, on the other hand they are also easy to come by in bad shape as well.

i own every Bionicle fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 12, 2020

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
https://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/d/columbus-vw-trike/7140682257.html

The springer front end makes this.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Rhyno posted:

One of my friends spent an ungodly amount of money building a choo choo el camino. It's awesome but slow as balls.

Like he bought all the trim parts? I thought it was appearance mods only, I assume you mean like they were really expensive?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Slippery posted:

Like he bought all the trim parts? I thought it was appearance mods only, I assume you mean like they were really expensive?

Yeah it is just some trim parts, a couple of badges and a sticker in the door jam. It also has the Monte Carlo SS front clip but you could get that by ordering an El Camino SS so really it was just a few bits of trim. I had one that someone had dropped a 90s 350 crate engine in and it was still slow as balls.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He did an engine swap but I have no idea what he slapped in there. It's really not quick at all.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Rhyno posted:

He did an engine swap but I have no idea what he slapped in there. It's really not quick at all.

Probably some lame-o 350 with a highway-geared rear end. The crate 350 in my Nova was only rated for like 250hp with long-tubes and a 4 barrel. Like 8.5:1 CR. Pretty sad.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Probably some lame-o 350 with a highway-geared rear end. The crate 350 in my Nova was only rated for like 250hp with long-tubes and a 4 barrel. Like 8.5:1 CR. Pretty sad.

Sounds perfect for a turbo or supercharger, though. Well, the compression ratio, anyway. Bottom end may not be up to the task

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

You can run some boost on a cast iron bottom end just don’t be throwing 20psi at it and probably want into run rich and watch the AFR like a hawk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil: