Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
When offloading unwanted humble bundle games, Is it better to post humble gift links or steam keys? Or :justpost:?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Hard disagree, Nioh isn't really anything like any of those games beyond surface-level. It's a really fun character action game that had some RPG elements and a soulsy corpse system sort of slapped onto it.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Hollandia posted:

When offloading unwanted humble bundle games, Is it better to post humble gift links or steam keys? Or :justpost:?

There's some speculation Humble will ban your account if you use too many giftlinks, as they might think you're trading them. Not sure where the limit is, but you should be ok if it's under a dozen or so. Probably.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Nioh definitely hits its stride a bit more after the London part, but it never stopped feeling a bit off and funky to me. The loot system in particular is really exhausting to deal with, and is constantly asking you to make completely inane decisions like "would you rather have 1.4% less stamina cost for blocking or 1.9% more damage dealt to oni-type enemies when striking from behind"

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Triarii posted:

Nioh definitely hits its stride a bit more after the London part, but it never stopped feeling a bit off and funky to me. The loot system in particular is really exhausting to deal with, and is constantly asking you to make completely inane decisions like "would you rather have 1.4% less stamina cost for blocking or 1.9% more damage dealt to oni-type enemies when striking from behind"
One possible solution to that is to stop fretting over minmaxing and just using what seems cool at the moment. Got me through the game and it was a lot of fun.
But it's definitely much more of a character action game than a soulslike.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jun 2, 2020

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah, build optimization is only A Thing in later difficulties and honestly player revenants will shower you on good armor sets at every point of the game.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Nioh is my favorite Soulslike because you can actually swing your swords fast in it, instead of pressing a button and watching your character take 6 seconds to swing a short sword

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

It's an Epic exclusive, but Maneater is a good and fun game.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

SirSamVimes posted:

I can't tell from videos, is it more RPG or more open world-y? Also how many SHARK SHENANIGANS can I get up to?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Orv posted:

Reminder that Star Citizen ...

I kind of think that the story about the FPS issues went somewhat differently, seeing as CIG had (and still probably has) zero design documents and planning. Or maybe I'm thinking about a different 3rd party company that CIG licensed and then changed basic requirements.

In any case everything even marginally associated with Star Citizen is poop

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
Dead Hand has very basic systems. An AP-based turn system from old tactical games. A modular weapons/hull/chassis system that wouldn't be out of place in a mecha game. And a progression system of 'This a gauntlet. Run it.' There is no between-level shop, or loadout management, or systems repairing. A bulldozer mounted to a hovercraft took out your machine-gun? Better loot a spare from the wreckage of your enemies. Which will outnumber you.
Not an easy game and doesn't pretend to be.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Bit of both? You level up and get "gear" in the form of various mutations of your body parts, and there's not much story.

As for shark shenanigans, need I say more than the fact that today I got into a gated community and flung myself out of the water onto a golf course and flopped and flailed around, grabbing rich people to drag to their dooms in the sea.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Command & Conquer Remastered is available for preload now. Must be loaded with FMVs because that motherfucker needs 25 gigs. Can't wait to play this and I want to watch all of the behind scenes, i'm so glad EA stopped dicking around with the IP and let Petroglyph remaster this.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I've played every C&C game without beating a single one. I should probably fix that this time around.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I wonder if the AI in the Tiberian Dawn campaign got fixed. It had this nasty habit of throwing absolutely every single unit at you if you so much as scratch their enemy harvester, and their tunnel vision targetting lets you abuse the AI by sending a tank to take hits and run away while the rest shoot from the sidelines.

Mordja posted:

I've played every C&C game without beating a single one. I should probably fix that this time around.

And seeing your avatar makes me want to go back and try to finish Homeworld. I could only beat 2's campaign with cheating. Mission 3 frustrated the absolute hell outta me

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jun 2, 2020

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Jamfrost posted:

Aaaaaand, The Evil Within 2 performed like garbage for me. So... huge bummer there.

Okay so it wasn’t just me. I found that, for the visuals I was getting on a GTX 1080, the game really did not run well at all. I know that people were complaining about performance issues when the game first came out, but some people insisted that the last patch completely improved the FPS drops (which is the patch I played the game on).

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I've owned Nioh for a few years but it only really clicked with me when I tried it once again this week and I'd say that despite the hiccups that usually are brought when the game is mentioned - the loot shower, the difficulty spike at bosses, excess of mechanics - its still a soulslike worth playing, though I have to agree it'd be much better if it had just picked one type of game instead of its weird mishmash.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I'm speaking from a watcher point of view. Nioh 2 seems like the better one, kind of like The Surge.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Also someone submitted the likeness of FF14's director as one of the preset faces in Nioh 2 and that's funny as heck to me.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Okay so it wasn’t just me. I found that, for the visuals I was getting on a GTX 1080, the game really did not run well at all. I know that people were complaining about performance issues when the game first came out, but some people insisted that the last patch completely improved the FPS drops (which is the patch I played the game on).

Back when I was on a 1080, I couldn’t get over ten to twelve FPS. I was shocked compared to how REMake 2 was performing, though I know that’s a miracle game.

I’m on a new machine now and hoping it will behave if I re-purchase it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

SirSamVimes posted:

Only just started, but I already like that you can hear collectibles from a long distance. :coolfish:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

my difficulty with nioh was that the skill ceiling is basically infinite, but the path upward was completely opaque to me. Between the massive number of systems to manage like stance switching, all the mechanics that impacts such as whether you should block vs dodge, all the unlockable special moves for every weapon, a big list of consumables/magic/ninja items to use, which stats to upgrade and how much, how to navigate the itemization, which guardian spirit to choose, etc it was just overwhelming.

anytime I beat something I had no sense of whether I won because I played well or if I had just fumbled through it with some crutch that would dissolve the moment I entered a higher difficulty. I watch a really good streamer sometimes and have no idea what the gently caress he’s doing, it’s like he’s playing a totally different game, but I somehow can’t pick out a single thing from it I should do differently to play better. I put nioh on hold two thirds of the way through the first difficulty and just never went back because it felt so daunting

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

my difficulty with nioh was that the skill ceiling is basically infinite, but the path upward was completely opaque to me. Between the massive number of systems to manage like stance switching, all the mechanics that impacts such as whether you should block vs dodge, all the unlockable special moves for every weapon, a big list of consumables/magic/ninja items to use, which stats to upgrade and how much, how to navigate the itemization, which guardian spirit to choose, etc it was just overwhelming.

anytime I beat something I had no sense of whether I won because I played well or if I had just fumbled through it with some crutch that would dissolve the moment I entered a higher difficulty. I watch a really good streamer sometimes and have no idea what the gently caress he’s doing, it’s like he’s playing a totally different game, but I somehow can’t pick out a single thing from it I should do differently to play better. I put nioh on hold two thirds of the way through the first difficulty and just never went back because it felt so daunting

There's no wrong way to play Nioh. You can beat the whole game from mid stance and nothing but a katana, or you can become a fight-wizard demolishing everything in your path with spells. Whatever works for you is fair which is why it's such a great game. Don't feel you need to play the way a streamer does or that you're using a crutch, there's no such thing.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Back when I was on a 1080, I couldn’t get over ten to twelve FPS. I was shocked compared to how REMake 2 was performing, though I know that’s a miracle game.

I’m on a new machine now and hoping it will behave if I re-purchase it.

Played EW2 for the first time one a i5-2500k with a 970 and that was >40 fps for the most part.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

That sums up my experience so far pretty well. The good part of having so many systems is that some of them end up being redundant, and easily ignored, but it doesn't make the whole thing any less of a mess.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Holy heck Survivalist has a sequel in EA :aaa:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1054510/Survivalist_Invisible_Strain/

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

What is the gameplay like on this? It popped up in my recommended, and the price is in the janky weird game range but I can't really figure out if its 3rd person action like a SoD with more RPG or some kind of strategy game.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 2, 2020

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Azran posted:

Yeah, build optimization is only A Thing in later difficulties and honestly player revenants will shower you on good armor sets with Warrior of the West sets at every point of the game.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Awesome! posted:

you cant say this and then not post the picture of the cool bird wtf

HopperUK posted:

I too want to see the cool bird

Hey sorry I don't check this thread that often but here is the cool bird, apologies for the delay.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Whoa I'm impressed, that is a cool bird.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Lone Goat posted:

Hey sorry I don't check this thread that often but here is the cool bird, apologies for the delay.

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Whoa I'm impressed, that is a cool bird.

:hmmyes:

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
drat that bird looks like a midmarket Nike

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That bird's a 3-series BMW owned by a 24-year-old white dude

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Lone Goat posted:

The bird is so cool, it needs to be appear on 10 more pages. It's really cool, I'm serious.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Lone Goat posted:

that bird? yeah I'm thinking it's cool

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Lone Goat posted:

I only dip in and out of this thread so I'm very happy I got to see the cool bird

Orv
May 4, 2011
An quality birb.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

We regret to inform you the bird is racist

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Lone Goat posted:

A happy ending in the steam thread. Thank god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The Pirate Captain posted:

There's no wrong way to play Nioh. You can beat the whole game from mid stance and nothing but a katana, or you can become a fight-wizard demolishing everything in your path with spells. Whatever works for you is fair which is why it's such a great game. Don't feel you need to play the way a streamer does or that you're using a crutch, there's no such thing.

Yeah, whatever works for you is what works.

I absolutely love Nioh, the combat is so good it makes it hard for me to play other souls-likes. The itemization is garbage, but on the first difficulty you can pretty much ignore it. Just equip better armor or weapons when you find them, don't pay attention to the bonuses. It feels like kind of a mess of a game because it was in development for over a decade and changed genres several times (it was originally a JRPG based on an unfilmed Akira Kurosawa script).

Really hope that Nioh 2 makes it to PC this year. The first one came out on steam like 6 months after PS4, hopefully it'll be the same this time.