Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
My 5 year old would cry out and scream hysterically like someone was just beating the poo poo out of her. Let me tell you, that hasn't gotten any less terrifying in the 3 years since she started having terrors.

My son is almost 21 months and his night terrors just started. His are more that shrill 'oh poo poo I am alone' type of wail. They are just so sad and break my heart. I am secretly pleased they aren't murder shrieks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

wizzardstaff posted:

How do night terrors manifest for a toddler? Is it just (haha, "just") inconsolable crying or is there something unique to it?

My mother-in-law gets something like that and it's extremely unsettling. In the middle of the night she'll start screaming in a high-pitched voice helllp meeeeee!!! over and over again without waking up.

It's bad enough to hear an adult do that when both you and she know she's safe. I really don't look forward to the same experience with a small child.

He came out of it and went back to sleep so that’s good, but it’s basically thrashing and screaming. They will do this for up to a half hour sometimes and not respond to parents attempts at comforting, can hurt themselves too. Basically we only go in there to make sure he doesn’t hurt himself because there’s nothing we can do about it or for him.

It’s like a waking nightmare, except nightmares are in REM sleep and night terrors are in non-REM and happen about an hour and a half after they go to sleep. So they will even seem awake and open their eyes and look right at you but not actually be aware that you’re there. They aren’t supposed to remember anything in the morning, but if you wake them up during it they will be really confused and have a hard time going back to sleep so you wait it out. It’s the scariest and worst thing we’ve gone through with him. Our kiddo threw things tonight, both his pacifiers he just flung in the air. Then he just came out of it and looked at us like, “Oh hey, what are you guys doing in here? Not that I mind...” This was his second episode and it was worse than the first. Still didn’t see it coming tonight even though he refused a nap and has been sleeping like poo poo the past month. Can be brought on by stress or depression or lack of sleep, ours is most definitely that last thing. Sucks because he just seems allergic to sleep lately and we’ve tried so many things, so I am surprised that I was surprised it happened again tonight. It sucks horribly to watch your kid go through it and know you can’t do poo poo about it, you feel really bad for them but all you can do is keep them from hurting themselves and then they just wake up and don’t even know it happened. Your kid may or may not ever have night terrors I think? Apparently it’s a smaller fraction of kids that get them and can sometimes run in the family, if so my wife is the main factor there. So I don’t think it’s like an inevitable thing for kids to experience it, we just happen to have a kid who is somewhat prone to them. Edit: from what we’ve read and observed, they are really asleep during this and since they don’t remember, who knows gently caress all of what they see during this. Broke my heart tonight to imagine how we looked to him as he had night terrors and we stood over his bed trying to comfort him to no avail.

What also sucks is that I was this close to getting laid tonight and now nope, that poo poo is a mood killer

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 31, 2020

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
poo poo, that sounds absolutely terrifying on at least two or three levels. I hope it works out for all of you. And that it doesn't run in the family. My wife is fine at least.

and good luck next time on the sex-having

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My older one had a couple episodes of that when he was a toddler. The other terrifying thing is you worry there's something physically wrong with them and question if you should take them to the ER.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Mat Cauthon posted:

It's the sleep deprivation. Same thing happens when you go through military training - they deliberately keep you so worn out and leaving sleep that your brain starts to short circuit, which makes it easier to engrain whatever training you're doing and modify behavior.

Sleep deprivation is also traditionally used for cult indoctrination, brainwashing, and interrogation/torture. Much the same thing, really.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah I mean, sleep deprivation in the military can be used in training, but in my experience it’s purely per case. One example would be the US Army’s Ranger School, where the intentionally deprive trainees of sleep and send them on patrol to gauge their decision-making under battle conditions and whether or not they can even make coherent decisions when deprived of sleep and lives are on the line. Infantry officers are by and large expected to attend Ranger School and get tabbed, NCOs and anyone else can attend but mostly I haven’t heard of lower-enlisted troops going (maybe E-4 or anyone of whom leadership and responsibility is expected). Overall my experience in the Army was one where even in Basic they gave ample opportunity to sleep because long days of training and physical activity were ahead. All in all, it’s not so much they think you’ll learn to make decisions because no one is absolutely at their mental best with little or no sleep, but in a sense, lots of things that are trained into troops by repetition can be easily repeated without a lot of complex thought, even when they haven’t had enough sleep. It all just goes back to, train how you fight, and when in battle you’re not always going to get the sleep you need but you’ve still got to function as needed.

BUD/S in the Navy is similar, they’re trying to break new recruits and weed out people who simply can’t handle the stress to push through, moreso than they’re trying to gauge decision-making under sleep deprivation (I don’t have experience with SEALs or the Navy, just from what I’ve read).

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 31, 2020

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

My son today (paraphrasing since he’s 2): Oh I had night terrors last night? Sucks for y’all, let me show you how much I care about sleeping by taking a nap that barely stretches to an hour the very next day

Like, my thumb is hovering over a button that would order some melatonin

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Just buy the goddamn melatonin.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
My 10 year old was a sassy jerk all day and promptly passed out at 7:30 after being sent to his room to read a book (after losing video game privileges)

And yet here I am, composing an email to the social worker, asking about a 13 year old boy that needs a home. Am I stupid? Does yelling at sassy jerks fill some unearthly demonic need within me??

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I’m lucky enough that I don’t think my kid has night terrors but man has his sleeping and eating been poo poo since the move.

He pretty much only eats fruit, unless I make pizza-then he’ll eat three slices without batting an eye.

His sleep-he’s back to waking up once or twice a night and demanding we go down and feed him whatever he wants. We have into that the first few nights because he was stressed from the move but tonight is the first night we’re putting our foot down. God drat I hate it. Pretty sure he’s not even hungry-it’s just comforting to him.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Edit: Ours (also 18 months) is having some sort of sleep regression, or whatever you want to call it. I suppose it's related to starting pre-school/daycare last week. Some evenings, she flat-out refuses to go to stay in bed after her goodnight storybook. It devolves into a wrestling match where she gets more and more upset, and if I break it up and let her go back out of the bedroom, she just wants to keep playing with her toys or looking through books. (She's too tired, though, so keeps falling over/hurting herself and rubbing her eyes trying to stay awake...) Eventually she gives up but it takes an hour and a half past her normal bedtime. Really sucks the energy out of us when every day has to end on a sour note. I really hope this is over once she gets used to the new daytime environment! Yesterday was fine, but the other nights this past week have been p/ horrible.

Wow, has it been five weeks already?

Yesterday something seems to have clicked. If it's in me or her, I don't know. We suddenly went from "no, I refuse to lay down and sleep after the bedtime story" to "Oh, the story is over? I guess I'll lay down on my back and wait for sleep now."
She's done this for bedtime yesterday and today, and today's nap. No wrestling and only a single demand for a drink of water! From 2-hour bedtime to 30 minutes, overnight. Hoping it's a trend...

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 1, 2020

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Wow, has it been five weeks already?

Yesterday something seems to have clicked. If it's in me or her, I don't know. We suddenly went from "no, I refuse to lay down and sleep after the bedtime story" to "Oh, the story is over? I guess I'll lay down on my back and wait for sleep now."
She's done this for bedtime yesterday and today, and today's nap. No wrestling and only a single demand for a drink of water! From 2-hour bedtime to 30 minutes, overnight. Hoping it's a trend...

Well done, rejoice!

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I give up. I don’t understand why the gently caress I can’t get this kid to even sleep in by 15-30 minutes when he takes a billion years to fall asleep. JUST loving SLEEP IN, WHAT IN THE loving WORLD DO YOU NEED TO DO THAT YOU GOTTA WAKE UP EARLY FOR?! JUST. SLEEP.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I get that breast rejection is a thing sometimes but my 5 month old now wont even latch on the right side for my wife. Even the sight of the bare cursed titty from a distance makes him yell like Goku powering up until she puts it away. No trouble at all with the left.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

life is killing me posted:

I give up. I don’t understand why the gently caress I can’t get this kid to even sleep in by 15-30 minutes when he takes a billion years to fall asleep. JUST loving SLEEP IN, WHAT IN THE loving WORLD DO YOU NEED TO DO THAT YOU GOTTA WAKE UP EARLY FOR?! JUST. SLEEP.

That is a pretty standard young kid thing for a lot of kids.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

kecske posted:

I get that breast rejection is a thing sometimes but my 5 month old now wont even latch on the right side for my wife. Even the sight of the bare cursed titty from a distance makes him yell like Goku powering up until she puts it away. No trouble at all with the left.

I think that's about the age one of my sisters was when she stopped nursing. No idea if it was accompanied by screaming at the sight of the boob, though.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

It seemed like my 12mo old was weaning from her two daytime feeds a couple weeks ago. Now, at 13mo I’m suddenly having to deal with her reaching into my shirt and trying to nurse all the time, and throwing tantrums when I don’t let her. I’ll offer her food/cow milk/water snacks at those times, but she usually rejects them. Eating and growing fine otherwise.

Where did this come from? Is it just that she figured out how to access The Boob without it being offered and is now testing that boundary? I don’t intend on returning to a newborn nursing schedule right now, but this is exhausting. I feel like I can’t pick her up or sit on the floor to play without causing a meltdown. And even if I were going to nurse her on demand, she’s gotta learn that dragging a boob out of a crewneck shirt via the nipple is NOT OK. Any suggestions for dealing with this?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

life is killing me posted:

friend you consistently seem to expect your child to operate by rules of reason and logic which is never gonna happen. your kid is not a rational actor. being a kid is hard, they aren't doing this to spite you.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
How are you guys deciding when it's going to be safe to send kids back to school / daycare? How am I supposed to make a decision about risk to my family? I'm scared as hell because the schools are going to be huge infection vectors and there's nothing I can see to prevent it.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I kinda expect that virtual learning well into the fall. I'm in the same boat in that I don't know when to send my kids back to school. I'm so worried about the second wave of this virus.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Twerk from Home posted:

How are you guys deciding when it's going to be safe to send kids back to school / daycare? How am I supposed to make a decision about risk to my family? I'm scared as hell because the schools are going to be huge infection vectors and there's nothing I can see to prevent it.

We didn't have a choice in the matter. But despite us living in one of the hardest hit places, there's only been one positive cast at the daycare, a teacher who self quarantined and didn't spread it into the building.

I mean, I wouldn't send my kid to school if I could avoid it for as long as possible. But eventually real life gets in the way and you may not have a choice. And at that point, as long as the school is doing the best that it can, what else can you do?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Basically you have to decide if you’re ok with sending them back or waiting a year or more until there’s a vaccine.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Our daycare just announced they will be re-opening on June 29th, with limitations of 9 kids per room for Pre-K age and 6 kids per room for toddlers/infants. Assuming that we get a spot, we will probably send our toddler. I'm job searching right now and can't really accept a position while balancing taking care of the kid every day - though the state of economy makes me think I'll be extremely lucky to get hired anywhere at the moment.

We're a little hesitant but I trust our daycare. Only caveat is if there's a spike in new COVID-19 cases in two weeks as a result of the protests we will probably keep him home until things die down again.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
My 6 year old's opened in June 1st but our 1 year old's isn't opening until at least July 1st (just in time for a buncha idiots to go gather on July 4th and bring it back) so we're keeping them both home until at least then.

It's tough because yeah we can't wait for a vaccine (well we can... just not "and keep our jobs.") but I'm just torn about voluntarily putting them in the middle of a health hazard. Our state is in the middle of our peak right now.

They're both churches and are being super strict. The one that just opened released their guidelines for check in and general care and it's extremely rigorous and protective. So... I guess there's that at least.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

We have 3 kids, ages 6, 15 and 18. My daughter will be continuing distance learning for 1st grade (with my oldest likely helping out when I go back to work since his post-high school plans are on hold for the moment). We're still undecided for my 15 year old. He misses socialization terribly and has been feeling pretty depressed. I think we trust him to abide by the social distancing stuff, but my husband has an autoimmune disease and it makes me very nervous. With budget cuts and cases rising, I won't be surprised if we see 100% distance learning continue for everyone in my area in the fall.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
We're still pretty open here my county hasn't had one confirmed case of corona yet. My kids went to preschool and it ended on may 29th and they're now in public summer day care again, they're really happy about it, they're meeting younger friends who they haven't seen since last summer when they left day care for preschool. Just this morning they met another kid who is a year younger and didn't move onto preschool with them. And they ran and hugged each other, it's so nice to see stuff like that :)

BTW in Finland it works like this:
-Daycare ages 0-5
-Preschool 6-7
-School 7-16 (gonna get changed to 18 now I hear)

And my kids will get an extra year of preschool to help them catch up before going to 1st grade.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...
We went back to daycare as soon as it opened. I just couldn't handle trying to work full time AND providing full time care for an extremely energetic toddler 5 days a week (we had a babysitter 2 days/wk). I found myself getting burnt out and starting to check out from it all, and both my work and my ability to care for my son were starting to suffer. I weighed the risks, and it just wasn't worth my sanity.

pseudomonas
Mar 31, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

Here is an article that talks about evaluating and trying to mitigate risk when asking this question (because there is no right answer)

https://emilyoster.substack.com/p/grandparents-and-day-care

I'm in Australia where number of cases and community transmission is low. My 6yo has been back at school for a couple of weeks and the 2yo is at daycare 2 days a week.

Although this study was small, it made me feel better about sending them back
http://ncirs.org.au/covid-19-in-schools
Basically 18 staff and students with corona had close contact with 863 people at school and only 2 students contracted the virus, so transmission rates in schools seem to be very low (at least in my local school system?)

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, but then there are stories like this. https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/06/03/868507524/israel-orders-schools-to-close-when-covid-19-cases-are-discovered

"Two weeks after Israel fully reopened schools, a COVID-19 outbreak sweeping through classrooms — including at least 130 cases at a single school — has led officials to close dozens of schools where students and staff were infected."

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
EDIT: I'm an idiot

As for me, we have kept sending our kid to preschool (because that's what everyone does in Sweden) even though one of the teachers tested positive. (She was off work for 2.5 weeks and luckily made a good recovery despite being slightly on the older side and with high BP.)

Apart from "I trust the authorities to close preschools if needed" , my reasoning is along the line of:

* Children generally suffer little, if at all, from COVID-19 (ie as concerns baby, I'd be more worried about her catching other bugs; it'd only manifest as a mild cold/flu for her)
* No one in our household is in a risk group, so doesn't matter much if we get sick as long as we self-quarantine properly once it hits
* Even if we fail at self-quarantine (say, by becoming asymptomatic carriers), we still won't be seeing any elderly or at-risk people for a looong time so we're unlikely to kill anyone.
* Case studies have shown that most spread occurs either at work or at social gatherings, and we're not attending either.
* We need the money and our employers expect us to work as normal (but from home)

Maybe I'm being selfish and stupid? Feel free to tell me.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jun 4, 2020

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I don't think that's selfish. Ultimately it's a poo poo situation but as you pointed out the overall risk for complications seems low and the unfortunate reality is that many of the societies and economies in our world aren't designed to let us just put poo poo on hold while we deal with this and to be honest I don't think that it's good for the kids either (mentally).

My wife and I are going crazy and at this point we basically have no idea if we'll get daycare back and what we'll do if that happens. Our daycare is awesome in general but we've managed to screw ourselves/get screwed in all of this as our daycare remained open as a site for essential workers when everything else closed. Now daycares are allowed to open again (as of last Monday) but they're taking another whole month to open up one of their other facilities AND still giving preference to the people from that facility if they want to stay at the current place, and that combined with the requirement of smaller class sizes means they don't have enough room for everyone to come back even with the people who are probably going to stay out of daycare altogether until a vaccine comes.
My wife is actually designated an essential worker by her division and can work in the office but we haven't done that because she doesn't actually HAVE to go in so we've been telling daycare "no no it's OK other people who have to do this should be first" and we're just realizing that we my have just screwed ourselves by saying that.

On the other hand, it's true at least at the start that I think other essential workers needed it more than us, so our complaining is dumb when looked at that way. But we have no family support around here, we don't make enough money to hire private help, I'm sure some of the people using the essential centers could have one or both of those things, and we're feeling hopeless at this point because we may just have to literally move if we can't get back in and can't find another daycare (I can't imagine any have spots available) and it throws a lot uncertainty into the future. It's frustrating because yes we may not be workers who are required to go in to work but we can't keep trying to work two full time jobs and do child care full time either and expect to keep our jobs. Like...it's pretty loving important that we get childcare back sometime or we'll be in a bad spot.

Meanwhile I think it's pretty lovely and hard on my kid to not be able to play with anyone else right now and have no socialization with kids his age. Whole thing just sucks.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

* Children generally suffer little, if at all, from COVID-19 (ie as concerns baby, I'd be more worried about her catching other bugs; it'd only manifest as a mild cold/flu for her)

The tough part is that this is entirely uncertain. Early data indicates that it's likely the case but we have about 6 months worth of data on a virus that's different enough from anything else out there that it's brought the world to a halt.

How willing are you to bet that there won't be long-term effects?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Blinkz0rz posted:

How willing are you to bet that there won't be long-term effects?

I don't mean to derail this into yet another coronavirus thread, but since it's related to parenting...

Do we really have a choice? What are in fact our options? Risk management is difficult, but let's start with identifying what the question actually is.

There is no sign that the U.S. or Europe will be able to stop the spread outright.

If you think about it, our first choice is between:

A. Send kid to school in the short term.

B. Wait until there is a vaccine or until spread stops spontaneously due to widespread immunity.

Since B. will take at least 6-12 months, while we will not be able to make a living, that's kind of not an option.

So, instead the choice becomes:

C. Use preschool now and work, make money
D. Use preschool later and don't make money, for now. This is assuming we can get unpaid leave which is actually not likely, so one of us would have to quit their job and try to find a new one when this blows over.

C and D Both run a risk of infection, and frankly I think it's more or less a marginal difference. Maybe if you have enough money saved up, it could work, just be a stay-at-home parent for a year?

To more directly address your concern, why would this particular respiratory virus have nasty long-term effects when other respiratory viruses don't?
It's not like scientists have never seen a coronavirus before, and they behave pretty similarly. If you know of any particular corona facts I have missed, I'd be interested in hearing about them.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 4, 2020

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
I absolutely agree with you. It's just a monumentally awful choice to have to bet all of our lives on it.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

To more directly address your concern, why would this particular respiratory virus have nasty long-term effects when other respiratory viruses don't?
It's not like scientists have never seen a coronavirus before, and they behave pretty similarly. If you know of any particular corona facts I have missed, I'd be interested in hearing about them.

Not a scientist but iirc there's been some new info on how Covid binds to ACE2 receptors and while respiratory effects are the most common symptoms there are a whole host of other ones that look more like inflammation in various parts of the body. It's what scientists theorize causes anosmia and the GI issues that have been prevalent. Anyway, I'm just saying that we've been using the "if it quacks like a duck it must be a duck" model for risk assessment but it turns out it might not necessarily just be a duck.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
At long last our trusted childminder will be opening up in July and we'll be her only client, just with extra added policies/procedures.

Our 4 year old was actually slated to go back to school nursery on the 15th... but we've actually decided against it as it's not really worth it, the school surveyed everyone for who was returning so all the pupils could be divided into small groups that will only interact with each other which seemed great, but nursery pupils are only allowed to go in two days a week and there is no more after school club... so we figure there's no point considering holidays are just around the corner.

I don't think there's really much of a good choice anyone can make, I'm actually incredibly fortunate that my job has kept me on full pay while I've been playing full time dad but I can't rely on their good graces forever. The more important factor is we've noticed our 4 year's condition is deteriorating a bit; health-wise he's not been eating his dinners and been losing weight (He used to have some heft but now I can lift him around like a feather) and always has bags under his eyes, mentally his mood can be quite lovely and gets upset much more easily plus he just seems to have gone backwards in most of his learning and abilities, although his speech has actually improved a little.

On whole we think being around his peers would do a world of good, he knows the childminder and her two kids very well so that should help some compared to me constantly splitting my attention between him and his baby brother. It's pretty sad all around as before COVID hit things were looking up as he was super happy in school and improving, my wife had a phone call from his teacher the other day and explained our plan, and apparently she was a little emotional that he wouldn't be returning until September time as the teachers are quite bummed out also being at home not being with their pupils.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Our area has had a real decline in the number of active cases and overall we have had a very low rate of deaths and infections so I feel pretty comfortable letting my 8 year old go back to school for 2 days a week. They’re doing half the class 2 days, wed off then the other half. And really it’ll be less because some kids are not going back.

My son has become very conscientious about social distancing and hand washing so he’ll be a good example for the other kids to follow. The remote learning just hasn’t really been cutting it mostly because the teacher is utterly hopeless at technology.

It’s a sucky situation and whatever someone’s risk tolerances they are comfortable with is the important thing.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Super Slash posted:

I don't think there's really much of a good choice anyone can make, I'm actually incredibly fortunate that my job has kept me on full pay while I've been playing full time dad but I can't rely on their good graces forever. The more important factor is we've noticed our 4 year's condition is deteriorating a bit; health-wise he's not been eating his dinners and been losing weight (He used to have some heft but now I can lift him around like a feather) and always has bags under his eyes, mentally his mood can be quite lovely and gets upset much more easily plus he just seems to have gone backwards in most of his learning and abilities, although his speech has actually improved a little.

I'm in the same boat where my work is kind of looking the other way while I'm at like..maybe 40% capacity. Basically I part-time work and full-time dad m-f, and my wife full-time work and part-time moms, and then we reverse on the weekends. Mostly because my work is more understanding. "Fortunately" my co-workers, even the ones without kids, seem to be suffering pretty hard under the current circumstances of the world so no one's all that productive. Not sure how much longer it can go on like this though. The higher ups are already making noises about re-opening completely on the 15th and I have no idea how I can find daycare for that or what we're going to do, hopefully I can keep working from home but I suspect I'm going to have to figure out how to be more efficient or find some way to send my kid somewhere at least a few days a week. She seems to be weathering it OK, but I can definitely tell she's tired of just being at home all day every day.

I'm in kind of a dumb position where I was leaning on public pre-school, which closed in march and never re-opened, and normally they would have summer programs for Pre-K aged children, but the district is only running distant learning summer programs so now I'm pretty much hosed. It's hard to find a pre-school slot in normal times and now it's probably going to be absurd. Most of the summer camps I see that are starting to open are for school age children. I think I'm going to see if I can find a small home thing for her or something. I'm immune compromised so I'm pretty worried about covid-19, but it's not like losing my job and my health insurance somehow puts me in a better position.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Super Slash posted:

The more important factor is we've noticed our 4 year's condition is deteriorating a bit; health-wise he's not been eating his dinners and been losing weight (He used to have some heft but now I can lift him around like a feather) and always has bags under his eyes, mentally his mood can be quite lovely and gets upset much more easily plus he just seems to have gone backwards in most of his learning and abilities, although his speech has actually improved a little.

Yeah while our kid hasn't had some of those big shifts, he's obviously not sleeping as well, his mood swings are worse (though with some patient work they've gotten better), he occasionally talks about missing his teachers and sometimes talking about daycare stuff is too sad for him, and this is probably me overthinking it but he's gotten big into super hero stuff and all of that (some neighbor kids introduced it to him before the pandemic kicked off) and sometimes feels like he's trying to pretend to be someone else, someone with super powers and the ability to save people or stop bad guys, just to avoid the reality of a lovely situation. Or he could just be a kid being excited about super hero stuff, if this wasn't in the middle of a pandemic and all this poo poo I wouldn't think about it that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

We came to a head tonight with our son’s bedtime, as he rolled around and refused to go to sleep after an evening of no fewer than four timeouts for willfully and gleefully not listening. So we tried leaving his child lock unlocked (he can now break it anyway) and decided to take turns picking him up and putting him back into bed (without interaction) every time he got out of bed and came out to the living room. Which was pretty much almost immediately upon him seeing our backs turn to walk out of his room. Each time he did it, he seemed to think it was super cute and would be smiling, and I explained to him finally that he is to stay in bed, it’s time for sleep and not play, and each time he gets out of bed I’m going to be right there to put him right back into bed. He did stay in bed this time but was not happy about it, and he screamed himself to sleep. Like, he seemed to think we were playing a game or thought we weren’t serious, and I’m not sure how to show him we are serious without scaring him because that doesn’t do anything anyway.

sheri posted:

That is a pretty standard young kid thing for a lot of kids.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

friend you consistently seem to expect your child to operate by rules of reason and logic which is never gonna happen. your kid is not a rational actor. being a kid is hard, they aren't doing this to spite you.

Thank you for your words, and in the best of times when I’m getting sleep and downtime I am good at remembering those things. I’m not yelling at him and I’m not lacking affection and love for him, but it was either vent here or vent to my wife. Like, bedtime is a struggle too so by the time he’s down I’m finishing chores around the house and it’s 9pm and I’ve got maybe an hour to myself. Yeah I am in major need of a break, I’m imagining that most of you are in the same boat