Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I'm sorry I keep talking about glee in here but this is something we can all enjoy because it's good when racists and bullies get their comeuppance.

Lea Michele made a black lives matter tweet and all of the black lives she made a living hell on set had words to say about it

https://twitter.com/graciex43/status/1267680389608271872

https://twitter.com/graciex43/status/1267681808751063040

That would be a guest star, a new cast member from season 6, a new cast member from season 4 and an OG Glee cast member, plus Yvette Nicole Brown (fresh off of "don't burn police cars, you're wasting our tax dollars"ing on Twitter). And Supergirl (fka Marley) liked a bunch of the shady tweets, and Iris West responded with this:

https://twitter.com/candicepatton/status/1267668193063186433

Lea Michele: getting dragged like a toddler's blankie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I guess I feel officially too old because I have no idea how to navigate what the gently caress people are saying on Twitter. Looks like a mix of gibberish, clapping emojis, and gifs. It's like tumblr but popular.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
You need to have a brain injury to understand those tweets.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

DC Murderverse posted:

I'm sorry I keep talking about glee in here but this is something we can all enjoy because it's good when racists and bullies get their comeuppance.

Lea Michele made a black lives matter tweet and all of the black lives she made a living hell on set had words to say about it

https://twitter.com/graciex43/status/1267680389608271872

https://twitter.com/graciex43/status/1267681808751063040

That would be a guest star, a new cast member from season 6, a new cast member from season 4 and an OG Glee cast member, plus Yvette Nicole Brown (fresh off of "don't burn police cars, you're wasting our tax dollars"ing on Twitter). And Supergirl (fka Marley) liked a bunch of the shady tweets, and Iris West responded with this:

https://twitter.com/candicepatton/status/1267668193063186433

Lea Michele: getting dragged like a toddler's blankie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLi4n4iXY-A

She's always reportedly been a huge diva bitch so I am not at all surprised. It sucks she is also a garbage human on top of that, but I love that people are calling her on her poo poo.

I'ma sip this with, shall I say, glee.

sidenote I completely forgot Willam and Shangela were in the background of a Glee number that one time

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Pedro De Heredia posted:

I don’t think nested message threads and memes/image macros are all that difficult to understand in tyool 2020, but you do you.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Could be worse, could be a reddit thread.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rhyno posted:

Could be worse, could be a reddit thread.

tea

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Crumpets?

I don't understand

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Speaking of the thread title, I had no idea that was her in Labyrinth. That was one of my first movie crushes...

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

muscles like this! posted:

I know that a lot of people don't mean it that way but it is kind of troubling how often fiction writers will do stuff where Nazis win WWII or are still around and they have all kinds of advanced super science like somehow being Nazis mean that we'd go to the Moon faster or something like that.

Not to defend Nazis, but they really did a lot of the rocket science we have today. It's not like there wasn't a mad scramble to snap up all their scientists (many of which ended up right here in the USA) after the war. The V2 itself was a revolution which led to science that was used in our space program, so it's not a terrible stretch.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I feel like the people who designed those are scientists who just happened to be alive while the nazis were in power

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Iron Crowned posted:

Not to defend Nazis, but they really did a lot of the rocket science we have today. It's not like there wasn't a mad scramble to snap up all their scientists (many of which ended up right here in the USA) after the war. The V2 itself was a revolution which led to science that was used in our space program, so it's not a terrible stretch.

They even had a cool name for it, Operation Paperclip!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

I feel like the people who designed those are scientists who just happened to be alive while the nazis were in power

von Braun was quite happy to use slave labour to get V2s get built, even though it was killing them at a higher rate than said V2s were causing casualties. He also became a Party member in 1937 and joined the SS in 1940. He might not necessarily have been slavering to exterminate all the Jews but he was by any sensible definition of the word a Nazi.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The best you can say about the rocket scientists is at least they created some usable results, unlike the “medical” experiments that happened in German camps and Unit 731. You didn’t get a job like that without showing dedication to being a goddamn nazi.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, more people died making the V-2 than actually died from the V-2. Von Braun knew this, and the US Army explicitly told him to lie to cover it up in his US citizenship application process after the war.

Also von Braun "borrowed" a lot of the baseline stuff for his rockets from homegrown American Robert Goddard.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
If you want to go down the road of "positives some Nazi's did" you could at least go for fashion with Hugo Boss and Coco Chanel.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I love how nu-Wolfenstein handled it. Nazis stole ancient Jewish super-tech. Delicious irony.

There's a lot to like about The New Order but making it so that there actually was a secret Jewish conspiracy where a shadowy cabal of elders possessed weapons of unbelievable power is really muddled since it both makes Hitler's anti-Semitic propaganda be technically correct and also makes it so that the Jews not only failed to stop the third Reich and their own extermination but were actively responsible for creating the technology that let Hitler conquer the world.

Mu Zeta posted:

I guess I feel officially too old because I have no idea how to navigate what the gently caress people are saying on Twitter. Looks like a mix of gibberish, clapping emojis, and gifs. It's like tumblr but popular.

Pedro De Heredia posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMqZ2PPOLik

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Ugh

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
you gotta admire the commitment though

just kidding

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
I love the idea that telling someone you are going to "poo poo on their wig" is a microaggression.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
gently caress Off Sleeveless

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rhyno posted:

gently caress Off Sleeveless

New thread title right here

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Hughmoris posted:

Is Broadchurch worth getting in to?

Season 1 is great tv, season 2 is kinda bad, season 3 is good. You should watch.

DC Murderverse posted:

I'm sorry I keep talking about glee in here

I would really like to hear what went wrong with Glee, I suspect that it’s a combination of Ryan Murphy being a hack, and the network taking control of the show once they realized that the songs were a cash cow. I don’t think I have ever been so disappointed in a show as I was with what happened to Glee.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Chairman Capone posted:

Yeah, more people died making the V-2 than actually died from the V-2. Von Braun knew this, and the US Army explicitly told him to lie to cover it up in his US citizenship application process after the war.

Also von Braun "borrowed" a lot of the baseline stuff for his rockets from homegrown American Robert Goddard.

The low British death count from the V2 is really interesting- the British caught every single German spy that made it over there, and turned a lot of them. They had their double agents feed the Germans false information about where the V2s were landing, so German targeting got worse and worse as the V2 attacks went on.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

swickles posted:

If you want to go down the road of "positives some Nazi's did" you could at least go for fashion with Hugo Boss and Coco Chanel.

I would argue that fascist uniforms has a really limited use, even if they're well designed.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The low British death count from the V2 is really interesting- the British caught every single German spy that made it over there, and turned a lot of them. They had their double agents feed the Germans false information about where the V2s were landing, so German targeting got worse and worse as the V2 attacks went on.

And if you’re on this tip, look up Juan Pujol García, who ran a Nazi spy ring of more than two dozen fake sources. One of those sources “died” in the line of duty and García got Germany to pay out a pension to his widow

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

theflyingexecutive posted:

And if you’re on this tip, look up Juan Pujol García, who ran a Nazi spy ring of more than two dozen fake sources. One of those sources “died” in the line of duty and García got Germany to pay out a pension to his widow

He wasn’t even officially working for the british! The British and Americans both rejected his offer to work for them so he said “gently caress it, I’ll do it myself”.

He also got the Iron Cross from Nazi Germany and then ended up knighted by the British during the war. Operation Overlord wouldn’t have gone nearly as well without him getting the Germans distracted.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

feedmegin posted:

von Braun was quite happy to use slave labour to get V2s get built, even though it was killing them at a higher rate than said V2s were causing casualties. He also became a Party member in 1937 and joined the SS in 1940. He might not necessarily have been slavering to exterminate all the Jews but he was by any sensible definition of the word a Nazi.

Once the rockets go up who cares where they come down?
"That's not my department" says Werner von Braun

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

theflyingexecutive posted:

Wow! That guy was awesome. How has there never been a big movie or prestige series about him?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Operation Overlord wouldn’t have gone nearly as well without him getting the Germans distracted.

The subterfuge involved in Operation Overlord was insane. The allies would invent army groups and leak plans that said that they would invade other countries, they came up with fake contests to make tourists send in pictures of the beaches in Normandie. They even sent an actor pretending to be general Montgomery to North Africa. Operation Bodyguard seems like one enormous prank when you read about it.

The really funny part is how they were caught. One german spy was caught because he had a briefcase full of german sausages. Another one was caught because he went to a pub and ordered something to drink, not knowing that you couldn't do that in the morning.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 2, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
An anthology show about WWII espionage and counter espionage would be incredible. Do the episode about the german spies in Britain in the style of Drunk History and it'd be gold.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

An anthology show about WWII espionage and counter espionage would be incredible. Do the episode about the german spies in Britain in the style of Drunk History and it'd be gold.

After "The Spy" I think I'd watch an anthology espionage show where Sacha Baron Cohen plays most or all of the main characters.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Alhazred posted:

I would argue that fascist uniforms has a really limited use, even if they're well designed.

They aren't.

Like the uniforms were so complicated and hard to make every group had to have a personal tailor. The German military uniforms were impractical as gently caress and essentially what a 10 year old would think up when playing pretend military dictator dress up.

There's an effort post somewhere on the forums about it, but for comparison a typical 3 piece suit would take ~24 pieces of fabric to make and a german military uniform took ~200. It was over-designed to an insane and wasteful degree, like so much else going on in Nazi Germany.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

I think a part of the problem is that only until recently was a lot of this stuff declassified, so we've had decades of the big dumb heroics that were public knowledge but people like The Ghost Army who used creativity and art to prevent countless deaths without firing a single shot remained shrouded in secrecy.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

pentyne posted:

They aren't.

Like the uniforms were so complicated and hard to make every group had to have a personal tailor. The German military uniforms were impractical as gently caress and essentially what a 10 year old would think up when playing pretend military dictator dress up.

There's an effort post somewhere on the forums about it, but for comparison a typical 3 piece suit would take ~24 pieces of fabric to make and a german military uniform took ~200. It was over-designed to an insane and wasteful degree, like so much else going on in Nazi Germany.

So many of the weapons that the History Channel would describe as amazing were hot garbage. The MG42, firing over 1200 rounds a minute? Needed a barrel change every 150 rounds, so it really only got out a little over 150 rounds a minute. The Tiger and Panther tanks? Way too overengineered and finicky, with transmissions that wouldn’t even last 100 miles. Even when their aircraft weren’t being hangar queens that make the F35 look reliable, they lost so many of their experienced pilots early and they were basically being flown by amateurs.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hugo Boss was clearly a secret spy for the allies who made cumbersome and impractical uniforms in order to slow German movements and waste axis resources that's all for today don't forget to like and subscribe

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

pentyne posted:

They aren't.

Cessna's effortposts about bad Nazi uniforms were in one of the recentish iterations of the MilHist thread, but I don't remember which one offhand. They were a fascinating read though.

Life, as they say, comes at you fast

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1267887955902947330

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I think we need to prescribe Nazis into different groups that include, but are not limited to, "hated the Jews" and "didn't like what the Nazis stood for, but were required by German law to join".

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Oof, if you're a writer specializing in police procedurals, Dick Wolf is the worst possible person to piss off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

If you were mainly a writer for police shows, more than likely you're extremely pro cop.