Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Astro Boy is a gently caress toy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Astro Boy is a gently caress toy?

He has a machine gun coming out of his rear end. You tell me.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
How can I tell you? I'm the one asking you dolt.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Cinematic scifi has been obsessed with sexy murderous fuckbots for almost a century now:

https://i.imgur.com/9CwigNU.gifv

The first known novel to use the word "android" published in 1886 was all about Thomas Edison building fuckbots for his buddies. Decades before that you had fictional dudes wanting to gently caress sexy automatons. Centuries before that you had myths and legends about horny dudes like Pygmalion who were obsessed with bringing sexy statues to life so they could gently caress them.

Fuckbots have been buried deep in the human psyche for over an aeon.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Alan Smithee posted:

it's like a cyber word we came up with in the 90s

it might literally be that
It literally is

Uhhh, :nws: warning but we're all at home right

AIM chat but for your dick.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Cinematic scifi has been obsessed with sexy murderous fuckbots for almost a century now:

https://i.imgur.com/9CwigNU.gifv

The first known novel to use the word "android" published in 1886 was all about Thomas Edison building fuckbots for his buddies. Decades before that you had fictional dudes wanting to gently caress sexy automatons. Centuries before that you had myths and legends about horny dudes like Pygmalion who were obsessed with bringing sexy statues to life so they could gently caress them.

Fuckbots have been buried deep in the human psyche for over an aeon.

can the Israelites build me a gently caress golem

I just wanna smash rock

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Oooh yeah look at that hot little slut...

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Alan Smithee posted:

can the Israelites build me a gently caress golem

I just wanna smash rock

It's clobberin' time!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Reminds me of the "Literary" author (whose name escapes me at the moment) who wrote a book in the last year or two about an android that was indistinguishable from humans and the allegory it represented, and then said in interviews that's the kind of subject science fiction that should tackle, not stuff like warp drives and transporters.

It was like, dude, every sci-fi author has written your story. You didn't come up with anything new.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

See also: David Cage

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Davros1 posted:

Reminds me of the "Literary" author (whose name escapes me at the moment) who wrote a book in the last year or two about an android that was indistinguishable from humans and the allegory it represented, and then said in interviews that's the kind of subject science fiction that should tackle, not stuff like warp drives and transporters.

It was like, dude, every sci-fi author has written your story. You didn't come up with anything new.

who is this guy

I want to give them a wedgie

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

who is this guy

I want to give them a wedgie

Found him. Ian McEwan

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Is that the same guy who wrote "Enduring Love"? That was a good book, it's a shame he's such a weenie now if that's the case.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Can't believe this website is still up:
http://www.easylife.org/fufme/

Davros1 posted:

Found him. Ian McEwan

What a loving revolutionary idea man

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

BioEnchanted posted:

Is that the same guy who wrote "Enduring Love"? That was a good book, it's a shame he's such a weenie now if that's the case.

he's a fairly prominent new atheist, hitchens dedicated a book to him, so he's always been a dickhead. that's hardly incompatible with being a good novelist

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

ALFbrot posted:

The first thing that popped in my mind (after "God, what a pompous rear end.") was Frankenstein, largely considered to be the first sci-fi novel.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Frankenstein's a really great look at post-partum depression, I think. As well as a woman taking down all the Natural Sciences men that were high on peering into the veil of the natural world and whatever bullshit else they thought.

But god, what a knob. District 9 was only like 10 years ago...

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

McEwan arrogance is pretty much the same as guys who write stories about rape, then try to claim it's really about female empowerment because the woman gets revenge.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

ALFbrot posted:

"I'm one of the few people you'll meet who's written more books than they've read."

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

ALFbrot posted:

do not see a purchase button please assist

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

he wrote Atonement which I bought as a kid bc the NYT told me to and never read it

that's my story

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Davros1 posted:

Found him. Ian McEwan

spoken like a writer of realistic fiction

Alan Smithee posted:

he wrote Atonement which I bought as a kid bc the NYT told me to and never read it

that's my story

here's my story: I've been meaning to watch the film adaptation for a while, but now... I don't think I will. ~Fin~

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I swear there was another literary fiction writer that said/did something very similar when it came to sci-fi.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Harlan Ellison famously raged when he wasn't called a writer of speculative fiction.

There was also some hack in an old Penny Arcade post that was like (paraphrased) "that word, elf... you insult me with such a narrowminded description of my work. Frankly you aren't equipped to understand my writing. It is not merely "fantasy" it is worldbuilding"

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I feel like I haven't heard the words Penny Arcade in a century.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The whole genre fiction ghetto seems to be something of a generation gap; I don't think it meaningfully exists for most people under 30.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The whole genre fiction ghetto seems to be something of a generation gap; I don't think it meaningfully exists for most people under 30.

The "high arts" are much less of a thing in general.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

FilthyImp posted:

Harlan Ellison famously raged when he wasn't called a writer of speculative fiction.

There was also some hack in an old Penny Arcade post that was like (paraphrased) "that word, elf... you insult me with such a narrowminded description of my work. Frankly you aren't equipped to understand my writing. It is not merely "fantasy" it is worldbuilding"
Was this Rothfuss or something? :lol:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Schwarzwald posted:

The "high arts" are much less of a thing in general.

Even all the rich failsons and faildaughters are trying to make woke hot takes on cartoon movies and video games instead. And making things like rap musicals about the Founding Fathers. Trying to be a culture snob just doesn't work anymore.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/MilesKlee/status/1267166833070583808?s=20

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebr...iage/ar-AAHu2S9

quote:

Crazily enough, he added, the lifestyle has now bled over to their careers. "This is actually the premise for a comedy series we're writing together," Thomas told Playboy.

who will greenlight it now :smith:

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

Their relationship made headlines when Middleditch told Playboy in a 2019 interview that they decided to open their marriage shortly after exchanging vows.

"Only after I got married was I like, 'Mollie, I'm sorry, but we have to get nontraditional here,'" he shared. "To her credit, instead of saying 'F--k you, I'm out,' she was like, 'Let's figure this out.' To be honest, swinging has saved our marriage."

Lmao

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I remember when that story first hit and wondering if he'd ever looked in a mirror before.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I'm mixed on Silicon Valley. At it's best it could be a sendup of techbro culture and at its worst the Big Bang Theory without a laughtrack.

I haven't watched his improv show but I'm sure there's a ukulele involved and watching HBO Bazinga man doesn't appeal to me

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Safety Factor posted:

Was this Rothfuss or something? :lol:
God I don't know. I wish I could find that post again. It was from an external interview, too.

Ok so I can't find the PA newspost but I'm 90% sure it's from this interview and the Douche in question was Terry Goodkind

Some choice bits:

interview posted:

Weymouth, MA: In your opinion who is the most must-read, cutting edge writer publishing today?

Terry Goodkind: Ayn Rand

Haddonfield, NJ: Second Question - I've noticed similarities between your Sword of Truth series and Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series...(Black Sisterhood vs. Black Ajah; The Order vs. The Seanchan; Richard vs. Rand both discovering their powers, both have Nameless evil Gods...etc.) I've often voiced my suspicion that these two series might be occurring on the same world...how crazy am I?

Terry Goodkind: If you notice a similarity, then you probably aren't old enough to read my books.

Kansas City, KS: What made you choose to leave out other common races(dwarves, elves, etc) from your books?

Terry Goodkind: Please refer to the previous answer, in which I explain that I'm not writing fantasy ... My purpose is not weirdo cultural diversity. I repeat: I am writing stories about important human beings.

Groovelord Neato posted:

I remember when that story first hit and wondering if he'd ever looked in a mirror before.
Yeah boy was swinging way, way out of his weight class there.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 2, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Thomas Middleditch is an incredible improviser and a really good actor. He just sucks a bit as a person. If you think he's a ukulele kind of guy you've got a very distorted view of him as a performer.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

feedmyleg posted:

Thomas Middleditch is an incredible improviser and a really good actor. He just sucks a bit as a person.

I must have some dog-sense about people, because I knew nothing about Thomas Middleditch as a person whatsoever, but have found him repellent in everything I’ve seen him in for no reason.

Likewise TJ Miller. Silicon Valley was unwatchable to me immediately because I got such douche vibes off of the cast.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Xealot posted:

Silicon Valley was unwatchable to me immediately because I got such douche vibes off of the cast.

Pretty good casting for your average techbro, then.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Middleditch was bad in Godzilla: King of the Monsters, but then again so was most of the cast. I have no further thoughts.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

God I don't know. I wish I could find that post again. It was from an external interview, too.

Ok so I can't find the PA newspost but I'm 90% sure it's from this interview and the Douche in question was Terry Goodkind

Some choice bits:

Yeah boy was swinging way, way out of his weight class there.

"I am writing stories about important human beings."

JFC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Even if you are middling to cold on Middleditch I would highly recommend his Netflix improv special with Ben Schwartz. I never really cared for the guy either but it is hilarious.