Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Also yeah, the eBay specials for screens are fine, if by fine you mean they crack as soon as you drop them the first time, and that they're completely impossible to see in direct sunlight, and that the color reproduction is more than a little rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Now you can just replace the glass (and I'd only try it with an original Apple screen) but that requires you to be capable of heating glue to 70C without going over 80C... fairly uniformly... and to source the supplies.

It does result in a screen worse only in touch sensitivity, glare and impact resistance, but it's also a lot of precise work.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Someone just messaged me with an iphone 7 stuck at the apple logo, wont go any further, itunes is no help. Concerned about baby photos. They are most likely SOL right?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

codo27 posted:

Someone just messaged me with an iphone 7 stuck at the apple logo, wont go any further, itunes is no help. Concerned about baby photos. They are most likely SOL right?

See if you can get it in DFU mode but don't wipe it. Once you get it in that mode, try giving it a hard reset. If that fails, then yeah, SOL.

Also, to go along with my earlier posts, if anyone is looking at AirPod Pros, they're $235 at Amazon. I picked them up there since they arrive tomorrow and I could get AppleCare bundled.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

people in 2020, still, somehow: "i'll just carry around my only copy of this irreplaceable data on an easily lost or broken device"

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

They still carry iphones, so

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Were they not using iCloud photos or Google photos? If you talking like only copy of baby photos they may look at 3rd party recovery services

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Were they not using iCloud photos or Google photos? If you talking like only copy of baby photos they may look at 3rd party recovery services

Thats the kicker, I told them to use icloud in the future but apparently they actually used to pay for the extra storage but stopped. Its fuckin 3 or 4 bucks a month or something isn't it? Jesus.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

codo27 posted:

Thats the kicker, I told them to use icloud in the future but apparently they actually used to pay for the extra storage but stopped. Its fuckin 3 or 4 bucks a month or something isn't it? Jesus.

it is one dollar

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Using two sets of airpods at once used to work fine, and now it's suddenly broken on my iPhone SE. When I go to the AirPlay menu, I can only check one set or the other, not both at the same time. I updated to the latest iOS and this didn't fix it. Extremely frustrating as I used this feature every day to go running with my gf. Anything I can do other than a restore?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
There's more recovery tricks than just the dfu into hard reset one, but all of them are... very involved and need someone competent to pull them off.

EDIT: Also the extra space is $1/mo for one enough for a reasonable amount of photos. $3 for 200gb.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Or install the Google Photos app which is completely free for an unlimited amout of photos!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Using two sets of airpods at once used to work fine, and now it's suddenly broken on my iPhone SE. When I go to the AirPlay menu, I can only check one set or the other, not both at the same time. I updated to the latest iOS and this didn't fix it. Extremely frustrating as I used this feature every day to go running with my gf. Anything I can do other than a restore?

Hit "Share Audio..."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

FCKGW posted:

Or install the Google Photos app which is completely free for an unlimited amout of photos!

Free until Google decides to retire the product that is.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

FCKGW posted:

Does it store the full size/resolution of images? Does it save the 4k/60fps stuff?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Jose Oquendo posted:

Does it store the full size/resolution of images? Does it save the 4k/60fps stuff?

No, the free tier is in the "good enough" for most people bucket though: https://support.google.com/photos/answer/6220791?hl=en&ref_topic=6156061

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Your choices are unlimited but compressed or full resolution but it counts towards your Google account storage (which is shared with Gmail and Drive and whatever).

Maneki Neko posted:

No, the free tier is in the "good enough" for most people bucket though: https://support.google.com/photos/answer/6220791?hl=en&ref_topic=6156061

The wording in that article is a bit misleading IMO as it will compress <16MP photos (it just won't lower the resolution). Still a lot better than losing everything entirely.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
I saw something that said if you upload HEIF/HEIC files from an iphone they're basically stored as-is on the free tier but I haven't done any legwork to verify that. It's also a little too much janitoring for me to have to worry about that difference.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

Hit "Share Audio..."
I don't see that anywhere.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't see that anywhere.

When you put an airpod in your ear and tap the little carrot in the control center, it shows up below your headphones.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Not for me.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Share Audio is iPhone 8 and later feature according to https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/iphone/iph8ad1f667b/ios

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I think the iPhone SE is a "later" phone. Using two sets of AirPods (one AirPods regular and one AirPods Pro) was working great until a few days ago.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Which iPhone SE though? 2nd gen has iPhone 11 innards so definitely is a newer phone but I assumed 1st gen.

I'm not at all doubting that it was working before, I'm just wondering if maybe it was unsupported before and Apple pulled an Apple.

If it's 2nd gen, it should work, and I don't know.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

A few general things to try:

-Hard reset
-Update to 13.5.1
-Toggle BT radio off and on
-Remove the problem devices from your list of paired BT devices
-Reset network settings

At that point if it's still not working, a wipe/restore is in order. Do you know what version iOS was on it when that stuff worked? If after wiping and restoring to 13.5.1 doesn't fix it, maybe rolling it back to that if possible, assuming they are still signing that version.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Apologies if this is too many photos, but after 9 months I just want to say that I have been nothing but happy with the performance of the iPhone 11's main shooter.
No editing beyond the auto settings, and maybe some cropping:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

Apologies if this is too many photos, but after 9 months I just want to say that I have been nothing but happy with the performance of the iPhone 11's main shooter.
No editing beyond the auto settings, and maybe some cropping:

I want this.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I think the iPhone SE is a "later" phone. Using two sets of AirPods (one AirPods regular and one AirPods Pro) was working great until a few days ago.

It's not on the list of supported phones.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is there a good reason why the 2020 SE shouldn’t have the navigation swipe gestures of the higher end iPhones? Besides it having a dedicated button that fulfills those functions.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Rinkles posted:

Is there a good reason why the 2020 SE shouldn’t have the navigation swipe gestures of the higher end iPhones? Besides it having a dedicated button that fulfills those functions.

Jailbreak, and it can. Only if you haven’t updated to 13.5.1 though.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

It's really bizarre, since non-Pro iPads (which still have a home button) include all the navigation swipe gestures.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
No system app way to resize images, correct? Can you even check dimensions?

What I'll often do is take a screenshot and upload that instead, if I want to share a photo without having it be massive. Imgur's large and medium autoresizes completely kill image quality (even more than usual), so I try to avoid that too.

On that note, taking screenshots singlehandedly is significantly harder on this SE than it was with the old button placement.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Rinkles posted:

i don't think there's a need to swap the rest of the gesture interface around and potentially confuse people who've been using the phone for years to accommodate swiping up from the bottom when there's no real huge benefit from doing so.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Rinkles posted:

What I'll often do is take a screenshot and upload that instead, if I want to share a photo without having it be massive. Imgur's large and medium autoresizes completely kill image quality (even more than usual), so I try to avoid that too.

On that note, taking screenshots singlehandedly is significantly harder on this SE than it was with the old button placement.
I’ve had this with Discord and I’ve found a weird workaround. If you do any adjustments to the image at all, the file size when uploaded elsewhere shrinks dramatically. So sometimes an iPad screenshot of a game is too large to send, but if I modify it by adding +1 to exposure which you don’t even notice, the file size is like 1/5 of what it was before.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Is this new? I’ve never seen a notification with this built in before. This was on my lock screen notification pull down tray fwiw and I’m on 13.5.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Rinkles posted:

In iOS 13+ Shortcuts is installed by default and can do that. Here’s a quick and easy one.

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/5456a95835c54136b4202f0832de5a01

To use it just “Share” the picture and select the shortcut. You might need to “Edit Actions” if it doesn’t show up.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is this new? I’ve never seen a notification with this built in before. This was on my lock screen notification pull down tray fwiw and I’m on 13.5.

I've been getting that for a while now (I think since 13 was installed, though don't quote me on that). I feel like I see them particularly often right after an OS update.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

This likes to show up for me with Target app notifications (and has been happening for a while now).

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

I tend to only get it with apps that haven't sent me a notification for a while or never sent me one before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ijyt posted:

I tend to only get it with apps that haven't sent me a notification for a while or never sent me one before.

I get it on apps that I don’t open for a long time.