Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
One of the great things about B5 is the characters. I'm on the edge of my seat to see if the blind watchers will like the characters I like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
It's always so great to see new people watch for the first time. I'm rooting for y'all!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Bell_ posted:

This is still one of my favorite moments of the entire series, and what got me hooked on B5 as a whole. It's still my favorite science fiction series.

I didn't expect to have a speech about that be better written in this show than in most of the instances I've read about it in novels. I am hooked for sure.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

The_Doctor posted:

The Gathering: “There’s a hole in your mind.”

Lots of cases of pilot-itis all over the place, but good setup. Sinclair’s past is explored nicely, and everyone gets good time in the limelight to establish their characters. Londo’s speech about the fall of the Centauri Empire was utterly spellbinding.

Takeshima’s actress sounds bored being there, Ivanova being more engaging from what I’ve seen. And now I know who the Dr Kyle is mentioned in ep 2. Shame he left, he was very good, but it seems like he retired from acting for health reasons after filming this, so I can’t blame him.

I’m glad they changed Delenn’s makeup for the series, what they started with looks very odd.

Definitely the place you need to start from for the series.

There was a long time (at least a year?) between the filming of the pilot and them getting the first season order so a few of the actors were no longer available come S01E01. Some 'refinements' were also made, such as the makeup you addressed.

So happy about this thread, this is giving me much needed joy in this awful time we're in right now.

PLEASE KEEP CHUGGING FORWARD AND SHARING EVERY STRAY THOUGHT AND OBSERVATION

When you're done with the series. Join us in the main discussion thread.

Well, look at that, the suns coming up.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

TheAardvark posted:

also I will just get it out of the way:

the CGI is so horrible as to be jarring during some scenes and I am actively closing my eyes to ignore it at points

It was very very very good for the time, but unfortunately the original assets were mostly lost which is why it looks so bad now, you're seeing like the 4:3 what rendered for an SD TV broadcast iteration of it. IIRC some of it has been found+restored in fan stuff and looks really good.

This show is so insanely loving good. My wife had never seen it so we did a full watch of it a year or two ago it was so awesome to see someone's reactions to it for the first time. Also was absolutely stunned at how consistently good it is. There's some cheesy/not great episodes but no straight up clunkers.

Also that little detail you mention in your first post. I know Star Trek does have aliens that aren't human but with a different nose/forehead but Babylon 5 really did a great job of selling that that was a regular thing with the non-oxygen breathing area you mention, there being a deck just for aliens that aren't as humanoid, etc.. It's crazy how much they get across in that show despite some major budget limitations - depending on how you're watching it, when they're on the Centauri home world during the throne room scenes, you can see the large cardboard tubes holding up the curtains because there's just nothing else back there. :perfect:

The cast is so loving good though it doesn't even matter like everyone just sells it 100% to me.

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

It's always so great to see new people watch for the first time. I'm rooting for y'all!

MonsieurChoc posted:

One of the great things about B5 is the characters. I'm on the edge of my seat to see if the blind watchers will like the characters I like.

TraderStav posted:

There was a long time (at least a year?) between the filming of the pilot and them getting the first season order so a few of the actors were no longer available come S01E01. Some 'refinements' were also made, such as the makeup you addressed.

So happy about this thread, this is giving me much needed joy in this awful time we're in right now.

When you're done with the series. Join us in the main discussion thread.

All of this. :hfive:

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 2, 2020

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Just sat down and watching 1x2 - Soul Hunter now!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

TraderStav posted:

This please. It's the only way those of us who have watched it multiple times can live through that spellbinding first watch again.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
1-2 finished!
w Morgan shepherd was pretty awesome in this and goodness what an interesting kind of alien.

I was really intrigued by his mentioning of Delenn being a Satai? (Not sure the correct word) but from her introduction I have had that bit of dialogue from the first episode about how the minbari just stopped the war with humanity and why that was.

It feels like an episode that any other series would treat as a monster of the week episode but in fact is laying down ground work for something bigger!

No idea what but that is why I am watching.

I do like the new doctor too!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

VideoGames posted:

1-2 finished!
w Morgan shepherd was pretty awesome in this and goodness what an interesting kind of alien.

I was really intrigued by his mentioning of Delenn being a Satai? (Not sure the correct word) but from her introduction I have had that bit of dialogue from the first episode about how the minbari just stopped the war with humanity and why that was.

It feels like an episode that any other series would treat as a monster of the week episode but in fact is laying down ground work for something bigger!

No idea what but that is why I am watching.

I do like the new doctor too!

S1E2
Definitely a fan of the bits of long-term plot getting sprinkled around right from the beginning.

Also I liked the mention in Soul Hunter of "well, you could capture a 'soul' by putting them in a personality matrix" (not direct quote). It's exactly what I was thinking myself at the time. Like yeah, you could totally do it given the right technology.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Delenn is a satay. She comes with peanut sauce.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
S1E2

I love something they do with the Soul Hunter. They try to make him sympathetic and understandable and THEN they pull the rug out from under you by having another Soul Hunter come and go "no he's loving crazy."

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

TraderStav posted:

Goddamnit, I have work to do.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Oh boy oh boy, these threads are like catnip to B5 nerds. How I envy your journey :allears:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

McCloud posted:

Oh boy oh boy, these threads are like catnip to B5 nerds. How I envy your journey :allears:

Yarp.

I love reading peoples reactions. I'm currently up to s3e2 with the other half (I have seen it plenty of times, she has never seen it before) so it's interesting to see how you guys get on

The_Doctor posted:

Watching The Gathering now, and it's definitely required viewing. LOTS of setup all over the place, dearly missing from the first eps of the series.

Ehhhh kinda. It gets brought up when it's important.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

TheAardvark posted:

also I will just get it out of the way:

the CGI is so horrible as to be jarring during some scenes and I am actively closing my eyes to ignore it at points

This is the first TV show that heavily relies on CGI and it improves substantially over the years. Part of the frustration is the models are higher res but were never remastered:

Someone has been upscaling them himself to show how it could be. DO NOT LOOK AT THE REST OF HIS VIDEOS IF YOU ARE WORRIED ABOUT SPOILERS, but this one is spoiler-free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxEtUeXcgSI

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Those remastered videos getting linked is actually what reminded me to give the show a try!

Also, just got my best friend to start watching too. He's a huge TNG fan, I am curious to see what he thinks.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
1-3 Born to the Purple

Can I just say that I have seen some of the title names for the episodes and they are great. They have a sort of old skool scifi feel to them.

This one was even better. Londo is a really interesting character. I am not quite sure what to make of him. I absolutely buy his feelings for Adira and hers for him despite what she did. That final wave at her as his expression changes to sadness and loss is excellent acting.

I also liked seeing Sinclair be a bit devious (leading to that wonderful moment with g-Kar. G-kar’s little “oh you” grin when Sinclair complimented him made me grin.

I think so far I most enjoy the back and forth between Londo and G-Kar and wish to see more of them. They act like Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon in the odd couple and while they feel like arch enemies there is also a kind of playful respect and friendship. It is great!

Something else I like is that despite having a big cast they only show the people necessary. The episodes are dense and too often in big ensembles you have to show every character even if they are not doing things. This feels more tightened.

The Garabaldi and ianova sub story was also very touching.

I think I have enough time for two more episodes tonight!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

VideoGames posted:

1-3 Born to the Purple

Can I just say that I have seen some of the title names for the episodes and they are great. They have a sort of old skool scifi feel to them.

This one was even better. Londo is a really interesting character. I am not quite sure what to make of him. I absolutely buy his feelings for Adira and hers for him despite what she did. That final wave at her as his expression changes to sadness and loss is excellent acting.

I also liked seeing Sinclair be a bit devious (leading to that wonderful moment with g-Kar. G-kar’s little “oh you” grin when Sinclair complimented him made me grin.

I think so far I most enjoy the back and forth between Londo and G-Kar and wish to see more of them. They act like Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon in the odd couple and while they feel like arch enemies there is also a kind of playful respect and friendship. It is great!

Something else I like is that despite having a big cast they only show the people necessary. The episodes are dense and too often in big ensembles you have to show every character even if they are not doing things. This feels more tightened.

The Garabaldi and ianova sub story was also very touching.

I think I have enough time for two more episodes tonight!

Agreed across the board. Love Londo and G-Kar's interactions, and really everything G-Kar. He reminds me a bit of Herman Munster (voice-wise if nothing else).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

TheAardvark posted:

and really everything G-Kar. He reminds me a bit of Herman Munster (voice-wise if nothing else).

Strange seeing him with both arms.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Blindeye posted:

This is the first TV show that heavily relies on CGI and it improves substantially over the years. Part of the frustration is the models are higher res but were never remastered:

To add to what's already been shared: the CGI on the show was extensive for the time, and it was done in Lightwave on Amiga computers. Personal computers.

They made the foresighted decision to shoot the show in widescreen, anticipating that in the future that format would become standard. The guy running the CGI shop went to one of the executive producers and said he needed $10,000 for a widescreen monitor and they could render all the CGI, both composite shots and full CGI scenes, in widescreen. The EP said no.

So when the time came for the Sci Fi channel to snap up the show for rerunning and they opted to pay to get the widescreen version, but none of the CGI was in that format. Solutions ranged from stretching the image to putting black bars at the top and bottom of the screen for CGI-rendered scenes. None of this has helped with the image quality, which was much better on original broadcast.

The EP who I'm fairly sure nixed the widescreen monitor purchase, Doug Netter, also replaced the original CGI folks on the show in the fourth season with Netter Digital, run by you can guess who. It's unclear whether that, plus the collapse of that company soon after the first B5 spinoff got canceled, is responsible for all the apparently missing CGI models, or whether they were handed over to Warner Brothers appropriately and WB either lost them or is deliberately withholding them.

It's probably worth briefly covering the B5/WB thing: B5 was a show on the PTN network, which was essentially a syndicated package of shows developed and peddled by a subdivision within the WB corporate structure. This subdivision was NOT the WB TV subdivision, which had been working on a WB network. That effort ended up competing with PTN. The other PTN shows died out, with B5 remaining in syndication, but the WB TV executives didn't consider it theirs and believed its success would undermine them. Creator JMS has said that one WB executive despised the show and did everything possible to damage it, including screwing with advertising, and that person is still at WB in a senior position.

So WB, despite owning the show, has been actively disinterested in doing anything even vaguely like what Paramount did with Star Trek. JMS claims WB demanded that film masters of every episode, in its original airing format, be submitted to them by the production, and that they still have these masters in the vault. WB shows no interest in making them available for a potential original aspect Bluray set, or even for a higher quality digital source.

Doctor Who had the cheapskate BBC funding it, and at least at times wasn't very popular with their execs. B5, when produced, had amateur execs who essentially allowed the production team to do what they wanted, which was good, but that same circumstance means that the show had no champions at WB later on, only enemies.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
you mentioned a spin-off, and I know there are other movies but I think they were all post series.

when will we need to think about watching spin-offs/movies? Not for a long time? I tried a combined Buffy/Angel rewatch a couple years ago and working out production order between both was a nightmare.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

1x3: “Whispers in the dark, knife in the back”

I’ve just realised that a few of the names in the main credits have yet to actually appear.

Londo and G’kar clinking glasses over mutual appreciation of women is a lovely moment. There’s some really great Odo/Quark-style friendly antagonism developing.

I’ve never noticed that the male Centauri all seem to have fangs. And god yes, Vir is very much Guillermo from WWDitS.

Londo not suffering any illusions about himself and his status is some great character work. His relationship with Adira is so sweet, and I could genuinely believe at any other time and place they would have made it together. :gbsmith:

:geno: “No, not the mind probe.”

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TheAardvark posted:

you mentioned a spin-off, and I know there are other movies but I think they were all post series.

when will we need to think about watching spin-offs/movies? Not for a long time? I tried a combined Buffy/Angel rewatch a couple years ago and working out production order between both was a nightmare.

Production order on Buffy/Angel is simple - from S4/S1 alternate between the two shows.

For spinoffs and movies of B5, should you get that far: watch In The Beginning and Thirdspace between S4 and S5 and River of Souls and A Call to Arms after S5 but before Crusade.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

TheAardvark posted:

You can just watch them all after you finish the series, there's no need to try to slot things in.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Yarp.

I love reading peoples reactions. I'm currently up to s3e2 with the other half (I have seen it plenty of times, she has never seen it before) so it's interesting to see how you guys get on

Ehhhh kinda. It gets brought up when it's important.

The hardest part of these treads is the urge to resist commenting due to fears of spoiling anything. Even something like "oh X has one of the best arcs in modern television" is too much.

And y'all drat well know who I'm talking about

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Should the newbies watch in the standard order or the modified order? I did the modified order after I found out about it half way through Season 1 and some stuff made more sense that way.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Wait, there’s a modified order? :ohdear:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

TraderStav posted:

Should the newbies watch in the standard order or the modified order? I did the modified order after I found out about it half way through Season 1 and some stuff made more sense that way.

Watch it in the order it aired.:colbert:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Wait, there’s a modified order? :ohdear:

It attempts to correct some issues with airing of episodes that has some minor continuity problems, but nothing major.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jedit posted:

Production order on Buffy/Angel is simple - from S4/S1 alternate between the two shows.

For spinoffs and movies of B5, should you get that far: watch In The Beginning and Thirdspace between S4 and S5 and River of Souls and A Call to Arms after S5 but before Crusade.

A Call to Arms is the pilot episode of Crusade so definitely get that in order if nothing else.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

S1e4 “Don’t. You’re too young to experience that much pain.”

Illya Kuryakin/Duckie! :toot:

David McCallum gets to do a Roy Batty: “In the last five years, I’ve seen things off-world you can’t imagine. I stood in the lbendi Desert and saw all seven moons go into eclipse. I’ve walked in vaults sealed longer than humans have existed, breathing air that’s five million years old. Call that a shortcut if you will, but I’ve lived. By god, Stephen, I’ve lived.

There’s a horrible representation of a journalist here, all ‘freedom of the press!’ when there’s clearly an emergency going on, and getting in the way. Observe the story, don’t be the story.

Where did those cool huge guns from the pilot go? They’d be better than the pea shooters security have.

Picking and choosing from the Alien franchise here; Bioweapons, breaking quarantine for profit margins, transformation of human into an alien, etc. Probably the first ‘eh’ episode, with what feels like a ‘Well that will never happen here! <wink wink>’ foreshadowing at the end.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

The_Doctor posted:

S1e4 “Don’t. You’re too young to experience that much pain.”

Illya Kuryakin/Duckie! :toot:

David McCallum gets to do a Roy Batty: “In the last five years, I’ve seen things off-world you can’t imagine. I stood in the lbendi Desert and saw all seven moons go into eclipse. I’ve walked in vaults sealed longer than humans have existed, breathing air that’s five million years old. Call that a shortcut if you will, but I’ve lived. By god, Stephen, I’ve lived.

There’s a horrible representation of a journalist here, all ‘freedom of the press!’ when there’s clearly an emergency going on, and getting in the way. Observe the story, don’t be the story.

Where did those cool huge guns from the pilot go? They’d be better than the pea shooters security have.

Picking and choosing from the Alien franchise here; Bioweapons, breaking quarantine for profit margins, transformation of human into an alien, etc. Probably the first ‘eh’ episode, with what feels like a ‘Well that will never happen here! <wink wink>’ foreshadowing at the end.

I thought this episode was pretty weak too for what it's worth, but nice seeing David McCallum so relatively young.

The worst part was the suspension of disbelief required that the Doctor would be called away from meeting his friend and his mercenary guy who just arrived with artifacts, to look in on the unexpected murder of a cargo inspector, and not put two and two together.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
1-4 Infection

The episode felt pretty standard to me for most of it (alien tech going awry due to capitalist greed) but despite this, the way Babylon 5 has approached it feels fresh which I suspect is due to the strength of the writing for the characters.

It was the last few minutes, however, where it really shone. When Sinclair was fighting the man weapon, everything he was saying was mesmerising. Michael o'Hare was an acting powerhouse in that scene and even though he was the main star I was still on the edge of my seat. Plus I thought it strange how yet again he was going up against an enemy despite being the guy in charge 'surely there are other departments for that.'

It was then the moment with Garibaldi that put a beautiful capstone on it. Him actually voicing my thoughts and the writing being so real as to not really have a proper resolution to what Garibaldi said. That we as the audience knew he was acting against himself but having a friend bring it to light is not the kind of thing that just fixes it.

Then Sinclairs final words about what we would lose if we did not reach the stars. Honestly, that retroactively lifted the whole episode for me and if the show is made up of these moments as I am lead to believe, then I am surely in for an incredible treat!

There is another thread I was directed to and the lovely people directed me back here for fear of spoilers so I will remain here having fun :)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

1x05 “In a world where every day is a struggle, you need all the gods you can get.”

Ohh! I think this is the first episode I saw way back when it was broadcast on Channel 4 in the UK!

G’kar singing what sounds like Gilbert & Sullivan while cooking is an absolute delight. :allears:

Ah, Na’toth finally appears after several episodes as just a name in the titles. She’s nicely sensible.

I’m fully on board with the Centauri religion. :dance: Seeing Ivanova crack a smile is nice, especially after last week’s heartache for her.

Danger Will Robinson! Lennier is here! His wide-eyed innocent abroad thing is great. :3:

I forgot to note last episode that apparently 2 years have passed since The Gathering, compounded this episode by Sinclair saying his gf split a year ago.

Background gag of G’kar swapping his fruit/Swedish fish with ivanova was great. Also, G’kar’s tiny considering look down at the underwear as Garibaldi leaves is comedy gold. GOLD.

Soft porn ambient as Jeff and Kathryn make out.

The assassin’s glasses are another great comedy bit.

And what a nice ending with the looooong line of religions. That was a really great and very funny episode, and I’m surprised how much I remember from so many year ago. I recalled the ‘first you will know pain’ back and forth with Na’Toth and G’kar at the end and smiled on seeing it again. More like this please!

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 2, 2020

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Watching S1E7 now but forgot to post speculation last night after watching S1E0, and I assume wild accusations are appreciated by the people who've seen this before so
Nothing so far has convinced me that Vorlons couldn't just be another section of humans. :colbert:

E:S1E7
I posted the above right after Sinclair meets him at the beginning. Also you were right about them recapping everything from the pilot. I'm glad they didn't retcon seemingly any of it! Going to finish the ep before I post any more thoughts

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 2, 2020

head58
Apr 1, 2013

You’re blowing through these at a fair clip but if you’re looking for some companion media I will not so humbly invite you to listen to my podcast “The Name of the Pod.” We do episode by episode but don’t do synopses, more looking at the themes of the show and why it is one of the most important programs in shaping what genre (and non genre) tv is today. We watched and loved the show in the 90s but don’t do spoilers, so you’re safe.

We’re recording our penultimate episode tonight, looking at the Lost Tales dvd from 2008. Then a series wrap up in a couple weeks.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-name-of-the-pod-a-babylon-5-podcast/id1244239639

https://www.ilinxilinx.com/nameofthepod

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

head58 posted:

You’re blowing through these at a fair clip but if you’re looking for some companion media I will not so humbly invite you to listen to my podcast “The Name of the Pod.” We do episode by episode but don’t do synopses, more looking at the themes of the show and why it is one of the most important programs in shaping what genre (and non genre) tv is today. We watched and loved the show in the 90s but don’t do spoilers, so you’re safe.

We’re recording our penultimate episode tonight, looking at the Lost Tales dvd from 2008. Then a series wrap up in a couple weeks.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-name-of-the-pod-a-babylon-5-podcast/id1244239639

https://www.ilinxilinx.com/nameofthepod

Confirmed legit good podcast. I listened to it through my first watch through. My only regret was that you hadn't finished season 5 and I was watching 2-3 episodes a day!

I won't spoil anything regarding Max

RIP you opinionated cat :(

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
S1E7 thoughts

Cotto telling people back home he's the amabassador made me lol

Londo's 3 wives, Pestilence, Famine, and Death. Amazing

Woof the asian xenophobe guy's acting. big woof

If Garibaldi's ex from years ago shows up out of the blue in the next few episodes too I'm going to be peeved.

drat, Cotto standing up for his beliefs, and Londo's response. "My shoes are too tight, but I've forgotten how to dance." Fantastic stuff.

Good episode overall, maybe a little weaker on the xenophobe storyline. Flipflopping my favorite characters basically by episode :love: Londo

E: forgot to follow up on my last post, I was glad to see them not only fully embrace the pilot but address the obvious question of who the gently caress's hand she psychically saw get poisoned

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 3, 2020

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

TheAardvark posted:

S1E7 thoughts

Londo's 3 wives, Pestilence, Famine, and Death. Amazing

As a corollary to this comment
That would make Londo War, the 4th horseman of the apocalypse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

head58
Apr 1, 2013

TraderStav posted:

Confirmed legit good podcast. I listened to it through my first watch through. My only regret was that you hadn't finished season 5 and I was watching 2-3 episodes a day!

I won't spoil anything regarding Max

RIP you opinionated cat :(

Thanks! We’ve finished s5 now, and three of the movies. Not doing Crusade or Legend of the Rangers.

Max was always the most popular host and I’m okay with that