Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Stare-Out posted:

Circle for confirm and X for cancel is japanese only because they use those symbols for those exact things (Circle for "Correct" and X for "Wrong") and everywhere else, not just the US, it's the reverse.

0 means Off. But yes I know the japanese use circle to mean correct and x for wrong, oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
PAL translations of games often used the circle for confirm, X for cancel thing even when the NTSC versions used X for confirm, circle for cancel. It was really annoying, because you never knew what you'd get until you started up the game.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

LifeSunDeath posted:

Primary button being the one closest to your thumb, and down, makes sense because people can't remember right/left very well in general, up down is better, so bottom button just works best for a primary.

This is why I like that convention, regardless of whether it lines up with the symbolic meaning on Sony's controller layout.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Playing halo solo in tyool 2k20 is real tough imo. It's still very fun in coop tho which is the strong point of the series anyways to me.
https://i.imgur.com/pQLrI07.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/KgeTQ3N.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/3Mb4mFu.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/4K293LO.mp4

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Nintendo's layout is correct in Japan, Microsoft's layout is correct in the west, and Sony flip-flops to always be right. However, the most correct layout is this:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Dabir posted:

Nintendo's layout is correct in Japan, Microsoft's layout is correct in the west, and Sony flip-flops to always be right. However, the most correct layout is this:

I had no problem flipping back and forth from the GameCube controller to more standard ones than any other Nintendo controller. The completely different button layout and differently shaped and sized buttons made a huge difference.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Dabir posted:

Yeah, I love the Pro/Xbox controller layout but having a good design where the buttons are just completely distinct is awesome. Probably hurt by the fact that it looked like a kids toy, but it felt great.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Well, it kinda was a kids' toy. It is a pretty great layout, though. You're not hitting the wrong button in any QTEs on that one.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I’m reminded of how I could never instinctively tell what stats were raised/lowered by a Pokemon’s Nature in Sun/Moon, because red and blue both have “negative” color connotations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'm pretty sure they swapped which was which at some point too. Like, there were no colours at all in Ruby/Sapphire, Emerald made them red/blue and Diamond/Pearl made them blue/red and it absolutely proves your point that I know that and I can't remember which is which either.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That's another Japanese thing, I think. Circles are drawn in blue, crosses are drawn in red.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I always hated the shoulder buttons on the PS controllers. I am pretty sure my hands are normal size but the r2/l2 buttons never feel very natural and I always use my index fingers to push them unless they are combined with r1/l1.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Cardiovorax posted:

That's another Japanese thing, I think. Circles are drawn in blue, crosses are drawn in red.

Have you, like, ever looked at a PS controller?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dabir posted:

How did GameCube games handle pressing two face buttons at the same time? Was it always A + something else? Any other combination looks pretty awkward to perform.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

HenryEx posted:

Have you, like, ever looked at a PS controller?
Are you ever not bitching about something?

And no, not in about twenty years. So sorry for misremembering.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Cardiovorax posted:

Are you ever not bitching about something?

And no, not in about twenty years. So sorry for misremembering.

I didn't even ever own a PlayStation :shrug:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Have you, like, ever gazed longingly at a Playstation controller from the other side of the glass for hours on end? Memorizing every curve, every shape, every color...

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Have you, like, ever gazed longingly at a Playstation controller from the other side of the glass for hours on end? Memorizing every curve, every shape, every color...

Who needs that when you have a game boy at home though.
Two buttons is more than enough for anything worthwhile (which is Tetris)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

HenryEx posted:

(which is Tetris Attack)

:colbert:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

O for confirm and X for cancel is objectively correct because O is button 1 and X is button 2. Simple.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

RandomFerret posted:

O for confirm and X for cancel is objectively correct because O is button 1 and X is button 2. Simple.

They should have done it, Point, Line, Cube, Tesseract.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
       Yup
Xeft    Bright
     dAwn

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Lobok posted:

How did GameCube games handle pressing two face buttons at the same time? Was it always A + something else? Any other combination looks pretty awkward to perform.

I guess X+Y is a little tricky but otherwise, same as any other console?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Kennel posted:

Yup
Xeft    Bright
     dAwn
       △p
□eft    ○ight
     ✕own

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Dabir posted:

X and y on a gamecube is easier than o and square on a playstation

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dabir posted:

I mean I dunno, that's why I asked. X & Y looks a bit awkward since it looks like you have to press on the edges to avoid A and B & Y doesn't look doable with just a thumb (not like Square & Triangle is a great combo either). Then again A & Y is obviously easy while Cross & Triangle just doesn't ever work.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Remember when triangle was cancel on some early playstation games? Yeah that sucked.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Kennel posted:

Yup
Xeft    Bright
     dAwn
            the skY
aXross               Buhhhh
            Ah yeah

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Cardiovorax posted:

Well, it kinda was a kids' toy. It is a pretty great layout, though. You're not hitting the wrong button in any QTEs on that one.
I could never remember which button is X and which is Y on the GameCube controller. I guess there weren't many QTEs that used those and if they did, they probably showed the button shape so it didn't matter.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Doc M posted:

I could never remember which button is X and which is Y on the GameCube controller. I guess there weren't many QTEs that used those and if they did, they probably showed the button shape so it didn't matter.

Only now do I realize that X is in the positive direction on the X axis of a coordinate system and Y in the positive of the Y axis.

loving genius.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

organburner posted:

Only now do I realize that X is in the positive direction on the X axis of a coordinate system and Y in the positive of the Y axis.

loving genius.

gently caress!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

organburner posted:

loving genius.
Holy poo poo :staredog: (I'll still probably get them mixed up because my brain is broken and I never remember which axis is which)

The main problem with the GameCube controller is the fact it has fewer buttons than the PS2 and Xbox controllers. No left shoulder button, select button or clickable sticks. Nintendo games were obviously designed for this layout, but it wasn't great for multiplatform stuff because they'd require button combinations for some things and it was kind of a pain in the rear end.

But that's enough about controllers, here's a Red Dead Redemption glitch I posted in the RDR2 thread months ago but forgot to post here. Due to the sudden shortage of horses in the town of Blackwater, the inhabitants of the town had to ride each other:

Hey, whatever works. One US army soldier even ended up riding his grandma to a battle:

I don't know why the game broke like this. I died a few times in the annoying turret section because you can't hit anything with that gatling gun, and then after a few attempts I noticed that guy riding an old lady instead of a horse. I loaded my earlier save and discovered nearly everyone in Blackwater was now riding a person, as you can see in the top screenshot. The game crashed shortly after that.

DMorbid has a new favorite as of 11:00 on Jun 3, 2020

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dabir posted:

Thanks to this piece of poo poo I have used controllers where the "X" button is in the top, right, bottom, and left position. Whenever something tells me to press X is get this horrible moment of uncertainty. :mad:

Game: Press X!
My brain:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

dialhforhero posted:

I always hated the shoulder buttons on the PS controllers. I am pretty sure my hands are normal size but the r2/l2 buttons never feel very natural and I always use my index fingers to push them unless they are combined with r1/l1.

Uh wait what are you supposed to use them any other way?

Barudak posted:

Remember when triangle was cancel on some early playstation games? Yeah that sucked.

BallisticNG, which emulates the first Wipeout games, has that as a default control scheme and it confused the gently caress out of me.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I don’t know. When I grab a PS controller I feel like it was designed to have your ring and pinky on the handles with your middle on the r2 and l2 and index on r1 and l1.
I say that because of how short the handles are in comparison to the Xbox controller or Gamecube even.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It may have been designed that way, but you'll be hard pressed to find a game that asks you to press both regularly.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I mean pretty much every Fromsoft game uses the shoulder buttons more than the face buttons.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

organburner posted:

loving genius.

poo poo. Literally the only controller that makes sense.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

marshmallow creep posted:

I mean pretty much every Fromsoft game uses the shoulder buttons more than the face buttons.

And when are you gonna press both buttons on the same side at the same time? Holding shield plus pressing parry, maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Fighting games.