Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Brother Entropy posted:

a not very entertaining thing once the novelty of it wears off

See this is exactly how I feel. Silver Age Superman is real great stuff for people who don't actually like Superman, they can have a sensible chuckle about Superman feeding Jimmy Olsen a serum to turn him into a Merman so that he can visit Atlantis. If you actually try to read Silver Age Superman it's just a chum bucket of silly stuff. It's more coherent than Axe Cop because it's not ACTUALLY written by a child but it does know that it's kiddie stuff.

Also the way it treats women in general and Lois in particular is just nasty. It is just a relic of the time but it isn't fun or funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Silver Age Superman ephemera is fantastic.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

feedmyleg posted:

The Superman series gave us Gilbert Godfried as Mr. Mxyzptlk for which I will be eternally grateful.

feedmyleg posted:

Supporting, nothing! The DCU should just adapt the episode where Superman hilariously makes Mxyzptlk spell his name a dozen times, effortlessly outsmarting him at every turn and endlessly frustrating him. No bigger conflict, no teamup, no crossover, no melodrama. Just do that for 2 hours and everything that came before will be forgiven.

:hai:

I loved Superman: The Animated Series so much, that's part of why I found the N64 Superman game such a disappointment. Honestly, the various animated shows of the 90's/00's are what's most tempting to me about DC Universe

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The best Batman is Roger Smith.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK_HTdn3NPE

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Boris Galerkin posted:

So I have a few days left on my Disney+ trial and I wanna watch Infinity War and Endgame but the only MCU movies I've seen are Iron Man 1-3, Black Panther, Thor Ragnarok and the original Avengers. If I had all the time in the world I would watch them all eventually but I don't so are there any movies I should watch before watching Infinity War to not be too lost? I'm looking at the poster for IW and I don't recognize like half+ of them.

The MSJ posted:

As far as I know, Avengers 2 is where Vision was introduced and one of the Infinity Gems is part of the story. The GOTG crew also plays a significant part in IW and Endgame. Ant-Man actually helps kickstart the story of Endgame.

I think the "streamlined" Infinity Saga list would go like:

Iron Man
*Iron Man 2
*Thor
Captain America: The First Avenger
Avengers
*Captain America: Winter Soldier
*Thor: Dark World
Guardians of the Galaxy
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Captain America: Civil War
*Guardians of the Galaxy 2
*Doctor Strange
*Thor: Ragnarok
Avengers: Infinity War
*Captain Marvel
*Antman & The Wasp
Avengers: Endgame

*These movies could be skipped and you wouldn't be completely lost but there would definitely be huge stuff in Infinity War/Endgame that don't make sense that are answered/setup in those films.

That still a long list (even if you take out the *s) but it would introduce all the stones, Thanos' whole deal, most of the characters, and most of the relevant plotpoints. There'd still be unanswered stuff because even the films that don't tie directly to the Infinity Gauntlet or Thanos usually have some kind of important character development for someone who shows up in IW/Endgame. But if you gotta speed through those would be my two lists of how to do it without missing too much.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jun 3, 2020

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Dan Didio posted:

Superman: The Animated Series had some bangers too.

The Late Mr. Kent, pretty much anything that involved the New Gods, the World's Finest episodes where Lois and Batman are set to be wedded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a04xWjjgqos

Why'd you have to pick the episode where they glorify the death penalty?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Freakazoid_ posted:

Lois Lane canonically votes republican.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Freakazoid_ posted:

To be fair it's more neutral in the episode. Keep in mind that same death penalty was going to murder a perfectly innocent man.

I don't imagine Clark likes it either way it goes but that's the system they're stuck with. And while he could make them change the system, that opens the door to other problems that the show also addresses.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

Lois Lane canonically votes republican.

Maybe 30 years ago. Hardly today

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

STAC Goat posted:

I think the "streamlined" Infinity Saga list would go like:

Iron Man
Iron Man 2
Captain America: The First Avenger
Avengers
*Captain America: Winter Soldier
*Thor: Dark World
Guardians of the Galaxy
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Captain America: Civil War
*Guardians of the Galaxy 2
*Doctor Strange
Avengers: Infinity War
*Captain Marvel
*Antman & The Wasp
Avengers: Endgame
I'd add in SpiderMan: Far From Home HOMECOMING to give more context to Tony's mentorship of Peter Parker.

Darn. Sorry.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 3, 2020

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

FilthyImp posted:

I'd add in SpiderMan: Far From Home to give more context to Tony's mentorship of Peter Parker.

Except it takes place after Infinity War/Endgame.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Freakazoid_ posted:

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

The issue there is that you mentioned the singular standouts of the entire New Adventures section there. There is a reason that Over The Edge and the Clayface episode are the ones that get brought up constantly.

There is a rotating 10-12 list of "good-great" episodes there, though. It becomes an issue where 12/24 comes off better than 10/60 or whatever. The animation style also makes it more of a distinct change.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

McCloud posted:

Maybe 30 years ago. Hardly today

LOL she voted for McCain in 2008. I know even that's forever ago but still.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Neo Rasa posted:

LOL she voted for McCain in 2008. I know even that's forever ago but still.

This isn't a defense at all- that's actually very in keeping with her character.

Her usual character at least. Military brat, lots of right leaning sympathies, she'd definitely go for McCain. Mitt and Trump are right out though, she's never been a my party right or wrong character.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Burkion posted:

This isn't a defense at all- that's actually very in keeping with her character.

Her usual character at least. Military brat, lots of right leaning sympathies, she'd definitely go for McCain. Mitt and Trump are right out though, she's never been a my party right or wrong character.

Yeah now that you mention it she is generally a "I like small government/low taxes" when it's brought up. It's rare to have comics (especially over years obviously) commit to one take on a character but her going for McCain specifically but not necessarily someone like Mitt does make sense.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I kinda want to write about a superhero team with Italian food themed superpowers: using mozzarella cheese as a rope, turning into marinara sauce Alex Mack style, turning into dough and being stretchy like Plastic Man or Clayface. Those powers work well for a disaster rescue team, fitting through tight spaces like rocks in a cave-in, and they'd have gadgets like superheated pizza rollers that can cut through metal. It'd be story-of-the-week most of the time with Scooby Doo-like explanations

- controlling animal-shaped globs of pasta to make them attack park-goers and agitate animals into attacking park-goers to try to get the park shut down so that the city will be more willing to lease a mining company mineral rights. One of the human-shaped globs starts asking "Why am I here" and then becomes a roommate for a while
- mold and mushrooms that can eat through concrete and metal, as a convoluted form of a business owner burning down the property to collect the insurance money
- a serial killer uses a shrinkwrap gun (for no real reason other than it's vaguely related to a frozen pizza theme) to target journalists, union leaders, and activists on a list
- The one with dough powers turns traitor and sabotages their weapons. The individual stories connect with the governor of the state developing the mold and mushrooms into a doomsday weapon that can eat the metal at the Earth's core while demanding that the U.S. government, in a much more utopian alternate timeline, let the state secede
- The one with dough powers, Dough Man, usurps the governor and tries to turn the state back into a corporate paradise, Singapore authoritarianism style, while promising elections that never come as the media praises him, as the end-villain

- Sauce Man is afraid of a lot of things, like heights, mortgage payments, his mom dying from liver failure, and bears, but he never gives up. If he got an arm severed by a serrated pizza pan, he'd leave his arm behind in order to turn to sauce while holding the citizen and flow out of harm's way, and then he'd keep on going. He's a civil engineer who can take anything apart and put it back together. He's not adept enough at hiding his secret identity or who he cares about enough that they make good hostages.
- Mozzarella is a pharmacology student who takes an interest in Sauce Man's disaster rescue activities. She can shoot rope made of cheese, which works for acrobatics or trapping. She is initially sometimes lacking in confidence enough to let petty villains get away, or overeager to take on villains more powerful than she can handle. She lives with her elderly parents, who taught her the importance of fighting for someone she doesn't know, and changes bedpans in the evenings.
- Dough Man is a stoic negotiator who isn't afraid to let villains shoot the hostage when it strategically makes sense. In fact, he's realized that people care a lot less about minimizing casualties than stopping the villain, so he'll let other people take care of that work while he gets the credit. After having an arm after having it pinned under some rubble, when no one helped him, one of his arms is permanently made from dough. He was already feeling burnt out, and after that he stopped caring about helping anybody else. He's got "printer carrying" mentality about hero-work that's ready to metastasize.

Side characters:
- Pepperoni Surprise uses topping-related gadgets, such as pepperoni spinning blades for slashing tires of getaway vehicles and cutting ropes. She's almost always cheerful, and she brings homemade goods on stakeout missions. She's studying to be a chef while working as a waittress part-time.
- Breadstick Cannon works in another area of the city, so she doesn't show up as often as the other heroes. She specializes in gadgets like serrated pizza pans. She's more brutal than analytical, but she's very dedicated to an idea of making the world a safer place. She's a single mom who works at an antiques shop at a mall that also sells leather goods. She sides with Dough Man all the way, defending him at his worst as a lesser evil.
- Deep Fry (hot oil and french fry weapons) and Firebird are experienced vigilantes who turned to lawlessness after a warehouse was genetically modifying people into hummingbirds so they'd transfer goods faster. After Dough Man takes over the city, Sauce Man and Mozzarella need to distract the people guarding the doomsday device in order to minimize the fighting while they get to the controls. Deep Fry and Firebird show Sauce Man and Mozzarella the ways of subterfuge.
- Upper Crust, a villain with the power to petrify people into crust (pretzel dough, specifically) by laying a hand on them.

I vaguely think about it once in a while but I have better things to do than to expand on it

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 8, 2020

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
as long as the opening theme is Pizza Time

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ungulateman posted:

as long as the opening theme is Pizza Time

And every episode ends with them eating turtle soup.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Something something, the Samurai Pizza Cats.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

galenanorth posted:

I kinda want to write about a superhero team with Italian food themed superpowers: using mozzarella cheese as a rope, turning into marinara sauce Alex Mack style, turning into dough and being stretchy like Plastic Man or Clayface. Those powers work well for a disaster rescue team, fitting through tight spaces like rocks in a cave-in, and they'd have gadgets like superheated pizza rollers that can cut through metal. It'd be story-of-the-week most of the time with Scooby Doo-like explanations

- controlling animal-shaped globs of pasta to make them attack park-goers and agitate animals into attacking park-goers to try to get the park shut down so that the city will be more willing to lease a mining company mineral rights. One of the human-shaped globs starts asking "Why am I here" and then becomes a roommate for a while
- mold and mushrooms that can eat through concrete and metal, as a convoluted form of a business owner burning down the property to collect the insurance money
- a serial killer uses a shrinkwrap gun (for no real reason other than it's vaguely related to a frozen pizza theme) to target journalists, union leaders, and activists on a list
- The one with dough powers turns traitor and sabotages their weapons. The individual stories connect with the governor of the state developing the mold and mushrooms into a doomsday weapon that can eat the metal at the Earth's core while demanding that the U.S. government, in a much more utopian alternate timeline, let the state secede
- The one with dough powers, Dough Man, usurps the governor and tries to turn the state back into a corporate paradise, Singapore authoritarianism style, while promising elections that never come as the media praises him, as the end-villain

- Sauce Man is afraid of a lot of things, like heights, mortgage payments, his mom dying from liver failure, and bears, but he never gives up. If he got an arm severed by a serrated pizza pan, he'd leave his arm behind in order to turn to sauce while holding the citizen and flow out of harm's way, and then he'd keep on going. He's a civil engineer who can take anything apart and put it back together. He's not adept enough at hiding his secret identity or who he cares about enough that they make good hostages.
- Mozzarella is a pharmacology student who takes an interest in Sauce Man's disaster rescue activities. She can shoot rope made of cheese, which works for acrobatics or trapping. She is initially sometimes lacking in confidence enough to let petty villains get away, or overeager to take on villains more powerful than she can handle. She lives with her elderly parents, who taught her the importance of fighting for someone she doesn't know, and changes bedpans in the evenings.
- Dough Man is a stoic negotiator who isn't afraid to let villains shoot the hostage when it strategically makes sense. In fact, he's realized that people care a lot less about minimizing casualties than stopping the villain, so he'll let other people take care of that work while he gets the credit. After having an arm after having it pinned under some rubble, when no one helped him, one of his arms is permanently made from dough. He was already feeling burnt out, and after that he stopped caring about helping anybody else. He's got "printer carrying" mentality about hero-work that's ready to metastasize.

Side characters:
- Pepperoni Surprise uses topping-related gadgets, such as pepperoni spinning blades for slashing tires of getaway vehicles and cutting ropes. She's almost always cheerful, and she brings homemade goods on stakeout missions. She's studying to be a chef while working as a waittress part-time.
- Breadstick Cannon works in another area of the city, so she doesn't show up as often as the other heroes. She specializes in gadgets like serrated pizza pans. She's more brutal than analytical, but she's very dedicated to an idea of making the world a safer place. She's a single mom who works at an antiques shop at a mall that also sells leather goods. She sides with Dough Man all the way, defending him at his worst as a lesser evil.
- Deep Fry (hot oil and french fry weapons) and Firebird are experienced vigilantes who turned to lawlessness after a warehouse was genetically modifying people into hummingbirds so they'd transfer goods faster. After Dough Man takes over the city, Sauce Man and Mozzarella need to distract the people guarding the doomsday device in order to minimize the fighting while they get to the controls. Deep Fry and Firebird show Sauce Man and Mozzarella the ways of subterfuge.
- Upper Crust, a villain with the power to petrify people into crust (pretzel dough, specifically) by laying a hand on them.

I vaguely think about it once in a while but I have better things to do than to expand on it

source you are quotes

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Syncopated posted:

source you are quotes

look up Dozerfleet and you'll get the idea

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

galenanorth posted:

Side characters:

Sir, this is an Olive Garden

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Sir, this is an Olive Garden

...and we would like to license these characters.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Something something, the Samurai Pizza Cats.
Need to go back in time and photoshop pizza-rat into a Samurai Pizza Rat

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FilthyImp posted:

Need to go back in time and photoshop pizza-rat into a Samurai Pizza Rat

You really just need either Charles Entertainment Cheese or Splinter from the TMNT opening with the pizza slice on his head

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I uh...hmm.

https://twitter.com/PlayAvengers/status/1272921879003770881?s=20

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Beyond the obvious problem, I guess you have to know that in the premise of the game AIM has taken over New York? And the structure of the tweet is weird, like the two sentences are related to the same place but are just unconnected bullet points about the park. The third sentence could be "The public washrooms are still open from 11am to 6pm."

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
*blows off dust of statue* Captain CONFEDERATE STATES OF America?!?!?

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

yikes lol

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

quote:

there are still people who believe and pay their respects to Captain America.

exact same energy

https://twitter.com/BenSutton91/status/1272203200586801153

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It looks like it got removed but for some reason the Twitter app was able to show it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I wasn't sure if they'd actually take that down or not but whoof

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/playavengers/status/1273011969193201665?s=21

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

That it took that long to respond is lol.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I would have respected them more if the next tweet doubled down and called Hulk a looter or something.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Game is furiously being reworked to feature this guy as a key villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The comments, as usual, kick rear end and are very fascinating. Built into the whole "why does everything have to be political" thing is the implication that the SJW's want to tear down Captain America's statue because he's white. Maybe I'm way too easily amused by brickheaded MCU fan autocritique but that's good stuff right there.