Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I don't think it looks terrible but I'd be constantly concerned that the whole thing was going to tip over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Grim Up North posted:

I'm gonna say it op: It looks terrible.

Can't you stuff the speaker into that insanely wide credenza?
The credenza is actually 2x IKEA Hemnes TV stands (I just didn’t install the drawers) so there’s no centered cubby hole. Regardless, the cubbies are about 1” too narrow. I only bought them last week as an experiment and IKEA has a 365 day return policy.

I’m souring a bit on the whole idea since the cubby won’t fit an HTPC. There were other TV stands I was considering, and I even thought about getting really short tables, but I guess my question is, should I get a normal TV stand and then separate speaker stands, or should I stick with the super long console look? I was inspired by this which I thought looked really cool but maybe it’s actually really lame and oh god I’ve made a terrible mistake haven’t I? :cry:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 4, 2020

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I've got the Brimnes from IKEA which looks nice, has extra storage and actually puts the TV at eye height. Drawers are a little cheap-feeling but beyond that no complaints

It's wide enough you should still be able to fit the speakers, too.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Buying and assembling ikea furniture as an experiment? Brave soul.

Anyways I have a Costco tv stand that I like, holds my tv well.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Just mount your tv over the fireplace as god intended.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

TheWevel posted:

gently caress this is the worst idea of anyone ever.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I don't think the idea is bad, just the execution. If you had a blank wall behind it you'd be fine but as it is the lines look uneven and cluttered and you don't get to appreciate the symmetry. I would keep looking for a bench that is open at the ends so you can drop the centre speaker underneath the TV and have the TV on a regular stand not looking like a War of the Worlds tripod, or wall mount the tv if it's possible to offset the mount and have the TV still central.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TheWevel posted:

loving realtors

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

TheWevel posted:

Heh, I mounted my TV so low that I spent 2 hours drilling into the faux granite on the fireplace :rms:

Costco had a media center with an integrated TV mount that looked like it would do the job.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Tricky Ed posted:

The thing is that there are no 12 bit HDR 120Hz 4k sources that currently exist to use up all that 48GBps of bandwidth the C9 has. It's also important to note that the screen on both models "only" displays 10 bit HDR, which both models' ports can support at 120Hz 4k. It's all theoretical at this point and there's nothing out there a consumer (or reviewer) can plug in to both tvs to try to see the difference.

It might be a Problem! It might not! We're all guessing here.

Oh, right, I guess the bandwidth thing is also a (weird) consideration and I am intensely curious if that's ever going to go anywhere when the PS5 gen really gets rolling (nobody's going to be rendering at 4K120 in any way that matters but I can see a lot of people running a UI layer at that res and running an upscaled frame under it, which everything past the console's HDMI out will see as 4K120 HDR), and in the meantime this will super duper not mattter for literally anything other than video games.

No, I was referring more to the thing where the C9's panels are apparently appreciably brighter than the CX's. It's probably not something I could identify without seeing them side by side, but it would be fairly apparent side by side, and knowing about it would bug the absolute hell out of me, I think. All this, and I'll save like £500 into the bargain. And I won't have to wait for Black Friday.

I could buy it now.

But, I don't want to buy it now. It'd be a huge pain, I don't want to have to try and get rid of my KS8000 during lockdown, I'm troubled by trifling notions about financial responsibility and other such, and the idea that the Correct Choice Here was to buy a CX during Black Friday was a very convenient way for me to not have to think about these things. And now that's gone, and I don't like it.

Going over the RTings comparison of the C9 and CX it's striking how the latter seems to be a broad, though minor, regression.

This reminds me. RTings lists the C9 as having a 4K VRR maximum of 60Hz, but also says 4K120 is "not tested" (though it was tested on the CX), and I've seen various writeups saying LG says it does support that. So... does it? Lack of 120Hz 4K VRR is the closest thing we'll get to a dealbreaker for the C9 for me; like I said no video game is really going to push that but lots of them are going to run in ways that might push that, and someone's going to make a showcase game that's ridiculously well optimised enough to nail it, and I can tell you now I might as well already have purchased that game.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jun 3, 2020

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

im buying it now (later this month)

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Fedule posted:

Oh man. Learning that I was wrong about HDMI 2.1, VRR and the C9/X has messed me right up.

I was holding out. I've got a plan. I was gonna get a CX during Black Friday, after getting a PS5, and probably also after moving house.

Now I learn that after all this time the C9 is not only on par but actively superior (in a way that I would definitely care about), and cheaper, and probably not on shelves for a whole lot longer...

...I don't like being in this position at all.

Yeah, the CX overall was a disappointing iteration. A lot of people, including myself, were probably gonna do a TV upgrade before the new consoles, and they made it less exciting.

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jun 3, 2020

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Butterfly Valley posted:

I don't think the idea is bad, just the execution. If you had a blank wall behind it you'd be fine but as it is the lines look uneven and cluttered and you don't get to appreciate the symmetry. I would keep looking for a bench that is open at the ends so you can drop the centre speaker underneath the TV and have the TV on a regular stand not looking like a War of the Worlds tripod, or wall mount the tv if it's possible to offset the mount and have the TV still central.
Yeah it's very different when you're looking at a TV stand to use on its own vs 2x or 3x to use side-by-side, especially the requirement of open sides for the center speaker. Getting a single stand means I'd have to budget at least $50 for speaker stands, which is fine and obviously cheaper than buying multiple TV stands.

With a single stand, you just want something that's functional and looks fine, but when you do multiples, it really affects the look and feel of your living room which makes the choice even more important.

What do you think about single stand vs multiples? The 3 other people who have chimed in referenced single stands (Costco, Ikea Brimnes).

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Given all the positives things I've read about LG's standard included warranty for brand new OLED panels, are Amazon/Best Buy extended protection plans even worth it? I'm leaning towards no but am open to other points of view.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Josh Lyman posted:

What do you think about single stand vs multiples? The 3 other people who have chimed in referenced single stands (Costco, Ikea Brimnes).

A friend has two of these IKEA Fjallbo units underneath their wall mounted TV

And it looks great, but they perfectly span a section of free standing wall so there's a lot of symmetry there and no clutter.

This is my set up

I really spent a long time hunting for the perfect unit that would fit the TV size, hold the soundbar without having to put it in front of the TV because it was too wide to fit between the legs, and have room for all my consoles and poo poo. I got it from IKEA a couple of years ago but it looks like it's been discontinued, I can't find it on their site. Open ended units do exist though is my point.

Or have you considered having a single unit and two vertical shelves on either side with the side speakers in/on them? It would give you some more storage space to play around with.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Realizing this is highly subjective, for those of you who upgraded from a plasma TV to OLED, how much of a difference did you notice? I realize there are more newer technologies, but my 2008 Samsung plasma is chugging along and I’m really trying to justify replacing it when it’s still working like a champ.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Silly Burrito posted:

Realizing this is highly subjective, for those of you who upgraded from a plasma TV to OLED, how much of a difference did you notice? I realize there are more newer technologies, but my 2008 Samsung plasma is chugging along and I’m really trying to justify replacing it when it’s still working like a champ.

I think upgrading to something with HDR is worth it, especially if you watch sports or movies. Doubly so if you're going to OLED.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Silly Burrito posted:

I went from a 2007 Panasonic Plasma to a E9 OLED right before Covid. Holy lol it's not even close.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I'm trying to understand the controversy behind what LG did with their HDMI 2.1 on the CX models. I watched these two videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnB-UC5zDGs and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7S1P-GSMjY.

If I'm understanding him correctly the C9/E9 actually have true HDMI 2.1 and the CX does not? He's a bit hard to follow when he dives into the technical aspects, but he seems to be saying that the implications of this are that the CX's HDMI aren't the true 48gbps, meaning it won't support improvement sto BT2020's color gamut if they are updated in the future? Also you possibly won't be able to get 4K at 120hz? But the C9/E9 will be able to do these things?

Can anyone break this down in a simpler explanation for me and tell me if there is truth to what he is saying?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Didn't they nix Dolby Vision (12-bit HDR) or something, too, or was that another company?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Silly Burrito posted:

I did this, except my plasma was (I think) one of the last models Panasonic made, purchased in 2013. Upgraded to a C9 early this year.

loving do it if you have the cash. It's not even a question. Every single aspect of this TV is way better than the old one. Hell, I might prefer this TV over going to the theater (tho I haven't had the chance to compare as I haven't been to the theater since I got it, because quarantine).

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I upgraded from plasma to LED, and there are still so many enhancements beyond black levels that make it look much better imo. Especially for gaming. And then there're all the HDMI 2.1 features like VRR to look forward to as well.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Butterfly Valley posted:

A friend has two of these IKEA Fjallbo units underneath their wall mounted TV

And it looks great, but they perfectly span a section of free standing wall so there's a lot of symmetry there and no clutter.
2x Fjallbo was actually my other finalist besides the 2x Hemnes I actually got, but it doesn't have open sides. I could do a single Fjallbo, but then there's the question of what to do with my L/R speakers.

quote:

Or have you considered having a single unit and two vertical shelves on either side with the side speakers in/on them? It would give you some more storage space to play around with.
If the vertical shelves are attached, that unit would be massive. I'm dealing with a very specific amount of space, 128" wide, so it's unlikely any such unit would allow me to maximize the distance between my L/R speakers for better soundstage.

I could put my L/R on separate bookshelf-type things, but I don't really need storage in-around my TV. What do people put there anyway?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

beep by grandpa posted:

Given all the positives things I've read about LG's standard included warranty for brand new OLED panels, are Amazon/Best Buy extended protection plans even worth it? I'm leaning towards no but am open to other points of view.
Best Buy's will apparently cover burn-in. And it's likely they'll either straight up replace the thing or give you the cash value of the set to get a replacement yourself.

SquareTrade won't cover burn-in so beware.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

TheWevel posted:

I think upgrading to something with HDR is worth it, especially if you watch sports or movies. Doubly so if you're going to OLED.

Residency Evil posted:

I went from a 2007 Panasonic Plasma to a E9 OLED right before Covid. Holy lol it's not even close.

Arcsech posted:

I did this, except my plasma was (I think) one of the last models Panasonic made, purchased in 2013. Upgraded to a C9 early this year.

loving do it if you have the cash. It's not even a question. Every single aspect of this TV is way better than the old one. Hell, I might prefer this TV over going to the theater (tho I haven't had the chance to compare as I haven't been to the theater since I got it, because quarantine).

ufarn posted:

I upgraded from plasma to LED, and there are still so many enhancements beyond black levels that make it look much better imo. Especially for gaming. And then there're all the HDMI 2.1 features like VRR to look forward to as well.

Thank you all. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a marginal improvement, because at the time everyone raved about plasma being the best possible picture ever. But I do want to get something as future proof as possible because I've held on to this TV for 12 years, and while nothing lasts forever, I don't want to plunk down a large sum of money to just go "that's it?" Sounds like the 77" C9 might be the best upgrade (currently a 55" plasma) for the buck.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Silly Burrito posted:

Sounds like the 77" C9 might be the best upgrade (currently a 55" plasma) for the buck.

The 77" is literally twice the price of the 65" and 77" is a fuckload of TV. If it's worth it to you, go for it, but if you're looking for the best upgrade for the buck it's probably the 65".

Though if you're going to keep it for over a decade maybe you should splurge.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Arcsech posted:

The 77" is literally twice the price of the 65" and 77" is a fuckload of TV. If it's worth it to you, go for it, but if you're looking for the best upgrade for the buck it's probably the 65".

Though if you're going to keep it for over a decade maybe you should splurge.

That's my thought. The last 4K TV I bought in 2015 for our bedroom turned out to be a disappointment because it couldn't handle different modes of 4K (at least from the Xbox One X). So I want something that will be big, will last, and will be compliant with all video available today (minus 8k) and have HDMI 2.1.

I just upgraded our internet to 300Mbps (best available) and I already have my Nvidia Shield, so I'd be ready to go for some 4K streaming. :)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Arcsech posted:

It’s hard not to notice crappy cinema black levels when you’re used to pitch black.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

Best Buy's will apparently cover burn-in. And it's likely they'll either straight up replace the thing or give you the cash value of the set to get a replacement yourself.

SquareTrade won't cover burn-in so beware.

Thanks! This might have done it for me. I'll confirm with them in person but I went to look at the site after reading your post, it does look to back this up!

quote:

Pixel repair and burn-in coverage for TVs.
We'll get your screen back to pristine condition if your pixels start looking weird or a shadow image sticks.
source

It's about $9/mo for 5 years so if I can afford to spend $99999 on a tv made of crystals and magic then I can swing the cost of a salad every month to protect it. With the quarantine I was thinking it might be better to get it delivered here since I'm just working from home now but now I need to measure the back of my Explorer to see if a 65" box will fit since my local Best Buy is only like 2 miles away :D

edit: oh drat, looks like best buy has a $200 gift card included with the tv purchase too? https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-65-class-oled-c9pua-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6338500.p?skuId=6338500 (right below the price) fuuuck I hope this is still available in like 2 weeks

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jun 4, 2020

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

I could put my L/R on separate bookshelf-type things, but I don't really need storage in-around my TV. What do people put there anyway?

That's what I meant, and, erm, stuff? Books, ornaments, plants, board games, records, Lego, from a cursory look at my shelves

But yeah around the TV I understand you don't want too much clutter but I think more plants and books is always a good thing

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Butterfly Valley posted:

That's what I meant, and, erm, stuff? Books, ornaments, plants, board games, records, Lego, from a cursory look at my shelves

But yeah around the TV I understand you don't want too much clutter but I think more plants and books is always a good thing
I'm all for decorating--after all, this whole process started because I'm redoing my living room furniture. If we went with a single TV stand, I could figure something out for my LR mains whether that be speaker stands or open shelving. The question is whether the super long console aesthetic is still worth pursuing.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jun 4, 2020

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Fedule posted:

This reminds me. RTings lists the C9 as having a 4K VRR maximum of 60Hz, but also says 4K120 is "not tested" (though it was tested on the CX), and I've seen various writeups saying LG says it does support that. So... does it? Lack of 120Hz 4K VRR is the closest thing we'll get to a dealbreaker for the C9 for me; like I said no video game is really going to push that but lots of them are going to run in ways that might push that, and someone's going to make a showcase game that's ridiculously well optimised enough to nail it, and I can tell you now I might as well already have purchased that game.

Reupping this because this is the last block I have on deciding this: The C9 is a 4K 120Hz display with HDMI 2.1 (and therefore VRR). Does this necessarily mean that the C9 will support 120Hz at 4K in VRR?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Fedule posted:

Reupping this because this is the last block I have on deciding this: The C9 is a 4K 120Hz display with HDMI 2.1 (and therefore VRR). Does this necessarily mean that the C9 will support 120Hz at 4K in VRR?

afaik yes.

although don't make the mistake of thinking that just because something supports HDMI 2.1 it automatically supports VRR, it is an optional part of the standard and you can have HDMI 2.1 devices without VRR support. The C9 does support VRR though.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Fedule posted:

I think the issue here is just that no one has a source to test 4k120 VRR yet.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Megasabin posted:

Yeah, the CX overall was a disappointing iteration. A lot of people, including myself, were probably gonna do a TV upgrade before the new consoles, and they made it less exciting.

I agree but also think you have a pretty sour attitude.

Last year's 9 series sets are exactly what you wanted the whole time, you just aren't tracking it right because you are assuming that a more recent set is by definition a better set. Therefore you're mistakenly getting less excited.

The exciting thing just happened a year before you're assuming it is. It was basically a complete miracle that LGs 2019 sets arrived with full-feature HDMI 2.1. That was a huge win.

Now people like you are actively being disappointed because they made the touchdown a year early.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
99% of people in this thread would be absolutely floored by a B9. The amount of fencesitting that happens here when you could be enjoying a great TV is sad. It's not just this thread either, it's just some weird mindset with people who follow TV tech. My brother has been texting me about prices on OLEDs for the past 4 years and he's still sitting there watching a 46" Sony LCD from 2009. If RE can pull the trigger then anyone here can. Just do it. You won't regret it.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

American McGay posted:

If RE can pull the trigger then anyone here can. Just do it. You won't regret it.

I'm honored. Thank you.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
My Samsung KS8000 died on me last year. I went and got a B9. I don't think I can go back to LED. The perfect black levels make so much of a difference. I'm usually right in front of my tv but the viewing angles are good on the side.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

KS posted:

I think the issue here is just that no one has a source to test 4k120 VRR yet.

Something must, because RTings are putting their foot down saying the CX supports it, but the C9 remains "not tested".

This is my dilemma. If I can settle this uncertainty in the affirmative, I might as well go and get a C9 tomorrow. If not, I risk not having guaranteed compatibility with the source device that's going to define my entertainment center for the next 5 years or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

My guess is language is that way because the CX was designed with VRR in mind in its chipset and the C9 had to have it patched in later. Yes we're taking them at their word for both but considering one had to be patched in sounds like that's being held to a bit more scrutiny than the one that had it native from the get go.

Also I'm surprised more of you aren't talking about that deal I mentioned before where best buy has a $200 gift card! Hopefully it's still available in 2 weeks cause I'm def going the Best Buy route then using the gift card to get a cheap PS5 this holiday.