Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Hipster_Doofus posted:

I've got an LG aristo 3 updated (officially) to pie and they are still separate. Is that an LG thing like with Samsung?

Possibly! I'm guessing LG isn't 100% stock. A lot of the complaints on various Google forums specifically mention the Pixel.

Google does really annoying stuff like that a lot. Another one off the top of my head is that Google Calendar for Android used to show something that went past midnight across two days. For example, if I am working 9 pm to 9 am from Monday night to Tuesday morning, Google Calendar used to show I was working on Monday and Tuesday. Now for some godforsaken reason it only shows Monday.

They try to oversimplify stuff way too often and it drives me nuts. I should be able to tell in "month view" in the Calendar that an event might actually span two days. But ever since a Calendar update like two years ago, I can't. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
LG does android a LOT better than Google if you ask me. The last G7/G8/V30/V40 have been just beautiful. No bugs, long battery, no crap interface. Whats not to love?

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I use Bluetooth Volume Manager to control media/ringer/call volumes per device and it automatically adjusts them on connection. I also use "disable absolute volume" in the developer options menu. This is on a Pixel 2.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Possibly! I'm guessing LG isn't 100% stock. A lot of the complaints on various Google forums specifically mention the Pixel.

Google does really annoying stuff like that a lot. Another one off the top of my head is that Google Calendar for Android used to show something that went past midnight across two days. For example, if I am working 9 pm to 9 am from Monday night to Tuesday morning, Google Calendar used to show I was working on Monday and Tuesday. Now for some godforsaken reason it only shows Monday.

They try to oversimplify stuff way too often and it drives me nuts. I should be able to tell in "month view" in the Calendar that an event might actually span two days. But ever since a Calendar update like two years ago, I can't. :shrug:

As someone who has worked overnight for two decades, let me assure you that in your scenario it's Monday until you go to sleep on Tuesday at 10am. Google is correctly depicting how anyone whose waking life straddles the arbitrary delineation between one day and the next accounts for time.

That being said, doesn't Google Photos consider days to end at like 0200 or some weird time so your party pics all end up on the same "day"?

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

taiyoko posted:

I use Bluetooth Volume Manager to control media/ringer/call volumes per device and it automatically adjusts them on connection. I also use "disable absolute volume" in the developer options menu. This is on a Pixel 2.

This solved my problem. Thanks!

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
Is there a good app that will immediately upload a video you are taking to the cloud? Ideally, one that could punch through airplane mode to do it (I realize that may be asking too much)?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

Is there a good app that will immediately upload a video you are taking to the cloud? Ideally, one that could punch through airplane mode to do it (I realize that may be asking too much)?

It's not possible to "punch through" airplane mode. That's not how it works. It turns off the radios.

As for apps that upload videos like that, even Google Photos will do it (if you enable it in the options to work on cellular data) right after you film it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
If you're asking about uploading WHILE recording (since the time between recording and an upload completing is long enough for bad actors to destroy your phone, which I assume is what this is about), I have to imagine the bottleneck of upload speed would cause the recording to stop, and I don't think things like Dropbox will upload actively-changing files. I think Facebook Live records and stores streams though, if that's an option?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

If you're asking about uploading WHILE recording (since the time between recording and an upload completing is long enough for bad actors to destroy your phone, which I assume is what this is about), I have to imagine the bottleneck of upload speed would cause the recording to stop, and I don't think things like Dropbox will upload actively-changing files. I think Facebook Live records and stores streams though, if that's an option?

Ohhhh if you mean that, you have to look for a livestreaming app - Some like Youtube live will save the stream automatically afterwards. Correct, Dropbox, Google Photos, OneDrive, etc, don't save/sync files until the handle is closed, ie. once you hit "stop" on the record and it finishes writing it will start the upload.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Seems like it might be the best way to do it. And you have correctly surmised my desire, but I do not under any circumstances want anything owned by Facebook on my phone.

quote:

It's not possible to "punch through" airplane mode. That's not how it works. It turns off the radios.
Yeah, I didn't know if maybe there was an Android permission you can enable for allowing this or not (in spite of being an IT person, my knowledge of Android permissions is woefully lacking).

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

Seems like it might be the best way to do it. And you have correctly surmised my desire, but I do not under any circumstances want anything owned by Facebook on my phone.

Yeah, I didn't know if maybe there was an Android permission you can enable for allowing this or not (in spite of being an IT person, my knowledge of Android permissions is woefully lacking).

Unfortunately it's not just a permission thing, it's a toggle on the radios. Is youtube live okay for you to use? You could probably make your stream private so no one can view it, and then it would still save the livestream. Caveat: I haven't used it before, so I'm making educated guesses here.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

If you have the concerns we're all assuming you have make sure to turn off fingerprint or face unlock.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

If you have the concerns we're all assuming you have make sure to turn off fingerprint or face unlock.
Yeah, I have a legal-adjacent background, so I know that much. Switching messaging apps to Signal, been using Brave browsing on my phone and PC since Chrome stopped letting me use Adblocking... Any other app-related steps I should be taking?

EDIT: Also trying to figure out a good balance between wanting to be secure/difficult to trace, and wanting the ability to take high-quality videos where you can easily make out what is happening and ideally who is involved. Vacillating on the use of burners and/or airplane mode. I have a Pixel 3XL, so the camera quality is very high; airplane mode locks out the locations and the tracing/capture devices used by the police, but doesn't allow for immediate upload of videos/photos. Burners obviously make it next to impossible to trace.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 3, 2020

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

Burners obviously make it next to impossible to trace.
Simply avoiding the risk of losing or damaging your IRL phone or not giving access to all your daily poo poo to anyone who comes into possession of it unlocked probably makes a burner a good idea. I started to type up some reasons why you shouldn't get overconfident (buy it in front of a camera? forget to turn it off before you went home? leave fingerprints on the screen?) but I'm just some dumbass spitballing so I'd recommend you seek out some advice on this topic published by whatever sort of organization you consider trustworthy.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
Convoluted and clumsy and probably a total horrible PITA, but I'd imagine USB OTG +adapters coupled to a hotspot/router could allow airplane mode uploads.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The problem is going to be bandwidth if you want high quality streaming video. Especially if you are in an area with a ton of (internet) traffic.

You may wanna look at using a VPN, though you'll take a battery hit.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

sweart gliwere posted:

Convoluted and clumsy and probably a total horrible PITA, but I'd imagine USB OTG +adapters coupled to a hotspot/router could allow airplane mode uploads.

That....might work! Interesting.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

What's the simplest way to share URLs from an android phone to an iPad? Wife and I just found an old iPad Air 2 and are using it as a kitchen ipad now, would be nice to find recipes on our phones and send them to the ipad quickly.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

smoobles posted:

What's the simplest way to share URLs from an android phone to an iPad? Wife and I just found an old iPad Air 2 and are using it as a kitchen ipad now, would be nice to find recipes on our phones and send them to the ipad quickly.

I just put them as Google Keep notes

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Thanatosian posted:

Yeah, I have a legal-adjacent background, so I know that much. Switching messaging apps to Signal, been using Brave browsing on my phone and PC since Chrome stopped letting me use Adblocking... Any other app-related steps I should be taking?

EDIT: Also trying to figure out a good balance between wanting to be secure/difficult to trace, and wanting the ability to take high-quality videos where you can easily make out what is happening and ideally who is involved. Vacillating on the use of burners and/or airplane mode. I have a Pixel 3XL, so the camera quality is very high; airplane mode locks out the locations and the tracing/capture devices used by the police, but doesn't allow for immediate upload of videos/photos. Burners obviously make it next to impossible to trace.

The ACLU Mobile Justice app might be what you're looking for as far as a certain set of interactions goes.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

smoobles posted:

Chrome and syncing the bookmarks?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

smoobles posted:

If you don't mind spending a bit of money paprika works really well for this

It will sync recipes between devices and saving a recipe is as simple as opening it in the apps browser and hitting download

I use it on a kindle in the kitchen but use my phone to save recipes

Its also a lot nicer than reading recipes off a website

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

smoobles posted:

Firefox Mobile and tab sync works pretty well.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

So now that google is killing another app which seemed to be perfectly fine, which music streaming service do you recommend instead of Google Play Music? I’ve only been using this and nothing else so I don’t know if spotify or the likes are better

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

smoobles posted:

Pocket app works for me.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

KinkyJohn posted:

So now that google is killing another app which seemed to be perfectly fine, which music streaming service do you recommend instead of Google Play Music? I’ve only been using this and nothing else so I don’t know if spotify or the likes are better

I converted from GPM to Spotify about a year ago when they offered a free trial for a few months. I like Spotify much better, it feels like it was built to actually be used instead of built to check "music streaming app" off Google's list. I didn't expect to enjoy the social aspect as much as I do; pretty much all my friends are on it and it is a joy to see what they are listening to and explore publically curated playlists, etc.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

KinkyJohn posted:

I switched to Spotify from Google Play Music when I learned Google was going to force us to migrate to another app at some point. Less laggy and the sound quality is much better. I'm glad I switched.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Spotify is also like the only example of The Algorithm that serves me new things I find myself genuinely enjoying.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Spotify works great for me, and as said I really like what its Algorithm recommends to me.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
An unpopular opinion but I kind of like Youtube Music - the app performs a lot better than GPM ever did and the recommendations are spot on for me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I actually find the Spotify app to be pretty universally terrible. It desyncs from the notification frequently, displaying song information several songs ago (I've had this happen on a P4 XL, S20 Ultra, and OP8P so it's not one device thing) or just flat out vanishes from the notifications altogether. They also hide the cast under this weird devices menu that's only available once you START playing something which just bugs the everloving poo poo out of me. I want to connect to a device first, then start streaming, not hear 1 second of song while I pull up the menu and then select the destination device.

That and the cast menu frequently is missing devices including my "Home" group which casts to all the speakers in my house.

I tried premium out for a bit but then cancelled it. I'll just keep the free one around to see what it occasionally curates for me and then move the stuff I like into YTM for regular rotation.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Spotify is also like the only example of The Algorithm that serves me new things I find myself genuinely enjoying.

Edit: I also don't have any of the notification issues you see but i'm a P3XL

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've tried Spotify some, but the system inability to shuffle all of an artists' songs is just baffling.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Buff Hardback posted:

The ACLU Mobile Justice app

Holy poo poo! Did anyone else immediately think of the phrase/meme "There's an app for that!" and have a rl lol?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Holy poo poo! Did anyone else immediately think of the phrase/meme "There's an app for that!" and have a rl lol?

it's an emergency app to record and upload interactions you have with the police so that if you get stopped for a broken taillight and mysteriously commit suicide by shooting yourself in the back of the head someone gets to know what really happened to you

it's a real big rl lol

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Is this the thread where we lol irl?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I switched to Spotify and it's a million times better than GPM. The recommendations are great and while the app has its weirdness, it works well. Unlike bull, I like how they do casting and I've never had the app decouple from the notification. It's worth every penny.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

I switched to Spotify and it's a million times better than GPM. The recommendations are great and while the app has its weirdness, it works well. Unlike bull, I like how they do casting and I've never had the app decouple from the notification. It's worth every penny.

This is my stance on it too. I haven't had the issue Bull is talking about with the notification, and I don't mind the casting controls at all and use it regularly.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

dissss posted:

An unpopular opinion but I kind of like Youtube Music - the app performs a lot better than GPM ever did and the recommendations are spot on for me.

Same here, it does everything I want and the your mixtape thing is really good a suggesting new stuff for me

I did spend a lot of time in the beginning actively liking songs and subscribing to artists so it's got a good base to work from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Count me as another fan of youtube music, it predicts my taste better than any other app.

Hello Apps thread, I am looking for an app that will play a sound or flash and then record the time until a subsequent sound. Basically we are training/testing reaction times, measuring the reaction time between go and punching a bag. The closest I've found is Phyphox which measures the time between two sounds, it works in a quiet environment, but extraneous sound sometimes gives a misleading result. Ideally the app would flash a light or beep then count until the slap on the bag.