Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

One of my faaaaaavorite sly Artie bits was when Gary's kids were in the studio, Artie made some joke and Jackson/Lucas said "that's racist" and Artie goes "well when I was your age, Howard was racist"

Also not Artie related but there was also the time Howard and Dice were reminiscing about the time Howard advised Dice to stick with the racist comedy but Dice disagreed and pivoted to sex material.

thumper57 fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jun 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Yeah, the show yesterday was noticeably apolitical, specially given the riots. A little more slipped through today.
I'm grateful for this, Howard sucks so much cop dick that I don't actually want to hear his opinions of the riots.

Also, last week i realized that they are NOT doing a Robin's news segment anymore. I mean, ever since the started on Zoom, there have been a variety of technical and structural reasons why then haven't done the news like the used, but last week finally Howard said something along the lines of, the whole program is about the news these days.

thumper57 posted:

One of my faaaaaavorite sly Artie bits was when Gary's kids were in the studio, Artie made some joke and Jackson/Lucas said "that's racist" and Artie goes "well when I was your age, Howard was racist"

Aye, classic.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
He's likely not saying anything and hoping no one reads what he published in his books over 20 years ago.

https://old.reddit.com/r/howardstern/comments/gv2sy6/howard_stern_on_the_rodney_king_beating/

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Bonzo posted:

He's likely not saying anything and hoping no one reads what he published in his books over 20 years ago.

https://old.reddit.com/r/howardstern/comments/gv2sy6/howard_stern_on_the_rodney_king_beating/

Pfft. He was out of his mind back then.

I think it's the same book, but I wonder if his BFF Ellen knows about the part where he says that homosexuality is a mental illness that can be cured?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Bonzo posted:

This comment, I feel naked:

It doesn’t. I read it as an adult and I realized why I loved it when I was 13–it sounds like what a 13 year old would write.

Ouch. Except I have less of an excuse, I was 19 when it was published.
And I loved it. Except for the homosexuality as mental illness, even then I knew that was wrong, and worse, just cheap heat to sell books.

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

Bonzo posted:

First reply is "give Rodney a chance!"

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Squashy Nipples posted:

This comment, I feel naked:

It doesn’t. I read it as an adult and I realized why I loved it when I was 13–it sounds like what a 13 year old would write.

Ouch. Except I have less of an excuse, I was 19 when it was published.
And I loved it. Except for the homosexuality as mental illness, even then I knew that was wrong, and worse, just cheap heat to sell books.

:same: I was in a VERY different place in my life, that's for sure.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I just reread the Rodney King passage, and holy poo poo, I still have that book out on my bookshelf. Time to move it to the cardboard box in the basement.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Squashy Nipples posted:

I'm grateful for this, Howard sucks so much cop dick

And the military. Remember when Howard couldn't shut up about all the books he was reading about the Navy SEALs and how Americans are all sheep and we need protecting by sheepdogs? BAA BAA!

Holy poo poo that was cringey. It was straight up American Sniper right wing propaganda.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Former Human posted:

And the military. Remember when Howard couldn't shut up about all the books he was reading about the Navy SEALs and how Americans are all sheep and we need protecting by sheepdogs? BAA BAA!

Holy poo poo that was cringey. It was straight up American Sniper right wing propaganda.

Yeah, he's 100% behind the use of military force against the protests.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It hasn't aged well but I admit "They didn't beat this idiot enough" as an opening line made me laugh. I can picture the Jackie Puppet saying it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Did Sirius extend the free stream? Because I was still able to listen all day today.

EDIT: It still streams free on my desktop cpu but not on my phone anymore. Weird.

kylej posted:

It hasn't aged well but I admit "They didn't beat this idiot enough" as an opening line made me laugh. I can picture the Jackie Puppet saying it.

A lot of it has aged real bad. The whole "that's gay" bullshit that they still do for some reason and also the transgender jokes.

It's not unique to Howard. A lot of comedians I like have material that needs to go into the trash. I think that's part of why I find good comedy so interesting. It evolves in ways that fit the times and it's interesting to watch things become less funny (or sometimes more funny and on point) as attitudes change. A ton of poo poo I used to find to be be peak material from comics I still like just makes me cringe now.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jun 3, 2020

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Ugghgh, Howard final adresses the ongoing revolution, and it's the lamest take possible.

"These white people posting black squares? 99% of them are racist hypocrits. You see, when I was a kid, all the white people said nice things about black people, but then they all moved out in the middle of the night when they saw one black face in the neighborhood."

In some ways, it's a clever side step, but um... gross. gently caress off Howard, just suck it up and admit that some cops are psychotic murderers, and the rest of them dummy up about it.

BiggerBoat posted:

A lot of it has aged real bad. The whole "that's gay" bullshit that they still do for some reason and also the transgender jokes.

It's not unique to Howard. A lot of comedians I like have material that needs to go into the trash. I think that's part of why I find good comedy so interesting. It evolves in ways that fit the times and it's interesting to watch things become less funny (or sometimes more funny and on point) as attitudes change. A ton of poo poo I used to find to be be peak material from comics I still like just makes me cringe now.

As a fellow student of comedy, I love this phenomenon, too. It's interesting how some comedians age better then others; and whether or not it's still funny is a separate axis from acceptability of targets.

Like, Eddie Murphy: still really funny, but holy poo poo cringe-fest .

On the other hand, Carlin's earlier stuff is no where's near as funny as it was when it first came out, particularly Toledo Window box. I mean, still holds up, but it's not fall-over funny anymore. But yet, his politics are nearly unimpeachable across his whole career. If anything, Carlins favorite targets have only gotten more acceptable.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

does anyone really want howard to comment because my bet is his take would be to tell the protesters to "behave" themselves or some other awful poo poo

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

lol did Marci pay to have this published?

https://www.nickiswift.com/213731/the-tragic-real-life-story-of-howard-stern/

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Why the gently caress would anyone write this in the year of our lord 2020? What was the intent? Who needs to know all this about Howard Stern who doesn't know it already? By the way, I love the "he lost the love of his life" sub-headline, like his wife just abandoned him out of loving nowhere. :rolleyes:

I've never seen such an rear end-kissy article in my life. Is Brian Yost real?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

holy poo poo. yeah I think I gotta throw these books away.

https://old.reddit.com/r/howardstern/comments/gvalp7/howards_parody_song_on_the_la_riots_in_91/

Like, every singe late night person has come out swinging on this. What is Howard afraid of?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

YeahTubaMike posted:

I've never seen such an rear end-kissy article in my life. Is Brian Yost real?

I took a quick look and had the same exact thought.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Bonzo posted:

Bonzo posted:

holy poo poo. yeah I think I gotta throw these books away.

https://old.reddit.com/r/howardstern/comments/gvalp7/howards_parody_song_on_the_la_riots_in_91/

Like, every singe late night person has come out swinging on this. What is Howard afraid of?

Wow, I never read his books before. Now it's really funny to listen to clips of Howard being appalled at Sal's racist humor.

He learned it from watching you, dad!

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Bonzo posted:

What is Howard afraid of?

The truth -- that he's completely irrelevant now. Thus you see the paid fluff pieces like that one from today trying desperately to get his name back out there. The book was just an excuse to go on talk shows and tout his "evolved" persona in the hopes of trying yet again to land the Netflix interview show gig he's been hoping for since 2012, but as was the case then and remains so now, there's just no interest in it.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Are there things that show has completely runied for you? I love the Dixie Chicks but anytime I see Natalie Maines now all I can hear is ETM talk about her "chubby butthole"

Shopping (before Covid anyway) has me singing every single song parody from the last 20 years as I hear the soft rock over the store speakers.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Bonzo posted:

Are there things that show has completely runied for you? I love the Dixie Chicks but anytime I see Natalie Maines now all I can hear is ETM talk about her "chubby butthole"

Shopping (before Covid anyway) has me singing every single song parody from the last 20 years as I hear the soft rock over the store speakers.

Yeah, mostly songs that have been parodied, e.g. "Carmina Burana".

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Bonzo posted:

For those about to rock!

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Feliz Navidad. And Animal House. I used to be able to watch it as a regular movie, but now I only can hear Artie. Probably old Doctor Who episodes as well, I haven't tried recently.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

ultraviolence123 posted:

Animal House. I used to be able to watch it as a regular movie, but now I only can hear Artie.

I'm sorry to hear it. His incessant quotes were my least favorite part of his appearances, although obviously 0.0 is classic.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Squashy Nipples posted:

Ugghgh, Howard final adresses the ongoing revolution, and it's the lamest take possible.

"These white people posting black squares? 99% of them are racist hypocrits. You see, when I was a kid, all the white people said nice things about black people, but then they all moved out in the middle of the night when they saw one black face in the neighborhood."

In some ways, it's a clever side step, but um... gross. gently caress off Howard, just suck it up and admit that some cops are psychotic murderers, and the rest of them dummy up about it.

Howies never heard of gentrification before.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

even in the fluff article I linked above, he trips over him self saying that his family never moved even when all the other whites did. I think he's more salty than proud about it tbqh

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you

ultraviolence123 posted:

Feliz Navidad. And Animal House. I used to be able to watch it as a regular movie, but now I only can hear Artie. Probably old Doctor Who episodes as well, I haven't tried recently.

How many Doctor Who bits did they do? All I can recall is that the Doctor Who theme became Eric the Actors theme song.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Sorry, that's what I meant. All I think about now when I hear that theme is Eric.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
So many songs just make me think of KC Armstrong having gay sex, like so many

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

ultraviolence123 posted:

Sorry, that's what I meant. All I think about now when I hear that theme is Eric.

My wife and I get stoned and watch Classic Who and spend about 3-5 minutes giggling about that.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

AxeManiac posted:

So many songs just make me think of KC Armstrong having gay sex, like so many

Yup.

For me though, the king is that Goo Goo Dolls song. As soon as I hear like one or two notes, I immediately get a visual of a gay dance party with sailor suits and John Stewart.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Here in my butt

I want

Steve Langford’s cock

I want

Simon Cowell’s finger

I want

gaaay
loving sex
In my butt

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Release Robin's bra!

Release Robin's bra!

(The best part of the song is George Takei laughing in the background whenever they play it during his appearances)

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Yeah, after the KC songs, sour shoes Steve Langford songs are a close second, in terms of songs ruined.

Kind of random, but here's a little historical perspective on the events of Howard's youth:

https://slate.com/human-interest/2020/06/blm-merrick-long-island-protest-history.html

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

hanales posted:

Here in my butt

I want

Steve Langford’s cock

I want

Simon Cowell’s finger

I want

gaaay
loving sex
In my butt

One of the few videos I've uploaded to my own channel, just so I could always easily find it. It's my favourite parody song, and previously, I was only able to find it in a huge ETA parody compilation clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qu_Ix9xvd8

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yup.

For me though, the king is that Goo Goo Dolls song. As soon as I hear like one or two notes, I immediately get a visual of a gay dance party with sailor suits and John Stewart.

you are not alone. I remember hearing that live and nearly doubled over when they showed it on E. I don't like the Goo Goo Dolls (maybe I did for a month in 96) but I always thought they were awesome for being good sports about it.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I never really had an opinion one way or the other on that song whose name completely escapes me right now, but after hearing them play it during the gay dance party, I pretty much now associate it with gayness. Nothing wrong with that song or the LGBTQ+ community, I just have it imprinted in to my head whenever I hear it.

E: had to look it up.

Iris is the song.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jun 6, 2020

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

YOU BLEED JUST TO KNOW YOU'RE ALIVE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Bonzo posted:

I always thought they were awesome for being good sports about it.

Incredibly good sports about it!

I totally respect them for it.