Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

I think we need to prescribe Nazis into different groups that include, but are not limited to, "hated the Jews" and "didn't like what the Nazis stood for, but were required by German law to join".

Sixties film Judgment at Nuremberg makes a big deal of calling out 'oh so y'all were in the latter huh?' and the hypocrisy of the world that was willing to accept that fiction to move on post-war.

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There was supposed to be a show in development about the Allied misinformation campaign during WWII but it never really came together.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cessna posted:

No, sorry...

Here's how they were bad.

First and foremost, they weren't adjustable. No, really - you had to get one that was the right size for your head, like a hat. They came with 52, 54, 56, 58, 60, or 62 cm liners and corresponding shell sizes. You could not swap a different sized liner into a non-corresponding shell. Think that makes logistics easier?

Helmets were made in multiple stages with multiple mechanical presses. It took multiple individual presses to give the helmet its shape. These are WWI helmets, but the same process was followed in WWII:

There was no real assembly line - a worker would make one press, then put it on a pile. After the pile was high enough the next worker would take the helmets and carry them to the next press. This is confirmed by multiple photos of factories:

The edges were then press rolled by hand. They were also heat-tempered on the front of the helmet. This wasn't done with a huge industrial oven - there are photos of workers grabbing individual helmets with a big steel set of tongs and sticking them in an open furnace. Rivets for ventilation, the liner, and the chin strap were pressed in by hand. They were also spray-painted by hand, not on an assembly line.

After the helmets were painted they were given an individual paper wrapper to make sure the paint wasn't scuffed before it was issued. Think about that for a minute. Here are helmets being wrapped:

Each helmet had two decals (until 1940), again, applied by hand. If you've ever built a model airplane, imagine having to apply thousands of decals all day long:

The liner consisted of five leaf-springs wrapped with a leather liner which was, yes, sewn in by hand. This took a LOT of specialized labor. Here's a photo of a helmet liner. (Not my helmet, but I can take a photo of one of mine if anyone is interested.) You can see the rolled rim pretty well. See that stitching on the seam in the back? Done by hand.

Here's a Fallschirmjager/paratrooper's helmet. See that stitching across the liner? Hand sewn.

In contrast, an American/British/Russian helmet was hot-stamped. This made the helmet in one step and tempered it. Each step after that was automated, done by assembly line. And helmets had adjustable liners, so any soldier could wear them.

By 1942/3 the Germans stopped rolling the edges, dropped the decals, and simplified the manufacturing. Too little, too late.

There's several other posts by Cessna in that thread about it, its a fascinating read.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

howe_sam posted:

Cessna's effortposts about bad Nazi uniforms were in one of the recentish iterations of the MilHist thread, but I don't remember which one offhand. They were a fascinating read though.

Life, as they say, comes at you fast

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1267887955902947330

One more reason The Tick was good:

https://twitter.com/GriffLightning/status/1267666336731324416

e. Consider this a reminder that Moonbeam City was better than everyone gave it credit for and was cancelled too soon.

https://twitter.com/scottgairdner/status/1267881851407831040

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Moonbeam City had an absolutely amazing bit of comedy where Will Forte's character was forced to come up with jazz album names in order to fake being rich and the bit just keeps going on and on and on.

Also, according to Entertainment Weekly Batwoman is not going to just recast the lead and instead are just making a brand new character who will now be Batwoman. How exactly will this work when so much of Batwoman's plot revolves on her being directly related to many of the characters, including Bruce? :shrug:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's gonna be Bruce's long lost daughter or some bullshit.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Dig up Helena Wayne but have her be Batwoman instead of Huntress

and then turn it into season two of the horrible unintentionally camp masterpiece Birds of Prey

e: wasn't ashley scott in that giant crossover event. just use her again lmfao

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Anyways, it might be bullshit. EW did a report off a Reddit post that was removed.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Griffin Newman has always been a pretty good guy

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

muscles like this! posted:

Moonbeam City had an absolutely amazing bit of comedy where Will Forte's character was forced to come up with jazz album names in order to fake being rich and the bit just keeps going on and on and on.

That was a style of joke they did a lot and it was always great, the cop-themed restaurant where the waitress keeps reading off the menu and every item being a police food pun was wonderful.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Also, according to Entertainment Weekly Batwoman is not going to just recast the lead and instead are just making a brand new character who will now be Batwoman. How exactly will this work when so much of Batwoman's plot revolves on her being directly related to many of the characters, including Bruce? :shrug:

What happened to the old lead

edit: oh

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

GreenNight posted:

Anyways, it might be bullshit. EW did a report off a Reddit post that was removed.

Deadline says they got a copy of the casting notice and that sources confirm it is accurate.

The Clowner posted:

What happened to the old lead

edit: oh

She quit because she hated working the long hours and did not like living in Vancouver. From reports it was a mutual thing where she wanted out and the show execs didn't exactly want her to stay around because having a lead hate the show doesn't bring about the best work environment.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Vancouver sounds like a nice place if you're rich

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I visited there last year. Loved the city. Not so much the $17 cocktails.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Vancouver owns if you get lucky and manage to find affordable housing near major transit lines.

That said everything else here is still expensive as gently caress, and lol I'm only lucky on the rent/location front because of rent control and having stayed in the same lovely old building for 7 years.

Though technically I live in Burnaby but lol that makes 0 difference to people not from the lower mainland.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Presumably, she would have her apartment paid for her, which is a plus.

But she would have 2 hours max of free time per day because of scheduling, which is a minus.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
She was also nearly paralyzed by a stunt fuckup, so I'm sure that's part of it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Honestly she probably shouldn't have been doing too many stunts in the first place, afaik Rose had already suffered from chronic back pain, and she had prior surgery for that before the stunt sent her to the emergency room again.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I’m wondering how they write her out.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

TV Zombie posted:

I’m wondering how they write her out.

There's basically no good options. It has to be permanent because otherwise there will be a pall over the show about the "real" Batwoman coming back and they can't just have her mysteriously vanish because that is the reason Batman isn't around any more. It will really depend on how amicable the split really was and maybe they can film something with Ruby Rose to bridge the gap.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I mean, you've got the plot of making a Batwoman-killing gun right there. Just have her take a kryptonite bullet to a not-quite-lethal area, say something to Luke and Mary about keeping Gotham's hope going, and then stagger off to some sort of retirement while they get to find, recruit, and train the new Batwoman.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Big Mean Jerk posted:

She was also nearly paralyzed by a stunt fuckup, so I'm sure that's part of it.

Oh the irony

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Edward Mass posted:

I think we need to prescribe Nazis into different groups that include, but are not limited to, "hated the Jews" and "didn't like what the Nazis stood for, but were required by German law to join".

Nobody was required by German law to join the Nazi Party (it just impacted your job prospects) let alone the SS. You may be thinking of the Hitler Youth but that's not usually a factor with the rocket scientists.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
man.....should I watch Moonbeam City? I thought it was generally not that well-regarded.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Had fun watching the Kimmy Schmidt special, it was worth getting a vpn for it. Tina Fey even admonished me for being a nerd

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

man.....should I watch Moonbeam City? I thought it was generally not that well-regarded.

It's fine. Aesthetically has a lot going for it

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

lmfao this is gold

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Sleeveless posted:

There's a lot to like about The New Order but making it so that there actually was a secret Jewish conspiracy where a shadowy cabal of elders possessed weapons of unbelievable power is really muddled since it both makes Hitler's anti-Semitic propaganda be technically correct and also makes it so that the Jews not only failed to stop the third Reich and their own extermination but were actively responsible for creating the technology that let Hitler conquer the world.

two things.

one, it's very specifically subverting the "shadowy cabal of elders" thing by having them be, y'know, the unambiguous good guys. like there's not really any reading of the MachineGames Wolfenstein series that makes the Da'at Yichud look bad. they're probably the actual most decent people in the entire setting. the message here is that, if there were a shadowy ancient Jewish conspiracy, they'd probably actually be pretty swell guys who are trying to stop all the bad poo poo, and I can't really hate that.

two, they failed because they consist of elderly men who are absolutely not fighters. they have all the superweapons and sci-fi tech, sure, but for that to be even remotely useful, they need people who can actually use them and are trustworthy, and that doesn't come along until BJ does. and when he does, suddenly the tide turns and the Nazis start getting their poo poo dunked in by Terror Billy.

Wolfenstein good.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

feedmegin posted:

Nobody was required by German law to join the Nazi Party (it just impacted your job prospects) let alone the SS. You may be thinking of the Hitler Youth but that's not usually a factor with the rocket scientists.

It depends on how much you believe "ex"-nazis and their unreliable (gasp!) narrative about how it was a really, really bad idea to say no however.

Personally I don't believe any of it. Once a nazi, always a nazi. :blastu: :godwinning:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I didn't get very far in the second Wolfenstein game. There's a 30 minute long scene of your dad emotionally and physically abusing your mom and then you, and then I shot a few guys, then there was a 47 minute long scene of Nazi Mom literally fat shaming her daughter and calling her a lesbian

And I was just like, jesus christ this is miserable

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Escobarbarian posted:

Half the episodes are good. The other half are fine.

I'd certainly rather have more seasons of Moonbeam City than Archer.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

New trailer for Lovecraft Country
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJV9acMsDwM
It looks like a pretty straightforward adaptation which leaves me excited because there are some pretty good stories in the book. Like the zero-g death trap or the alien planet.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

There's basically no good options. It has to be permanent because otherwise there will be a pall over the show about the "real" Batwoman coming back and they can't just have her mysteriously vanish because that is the reason Batman isn't around any more. It will really depend on how amicable the split really was and maybe they can film something with Ruby Rose to bridge the gap.

Do people not just recast anymore? TV shows used to do that poo poo all the time and not even address it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I don't think "canon" was really a mainstream concern when Roseanne was on the air.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Lurdiak posted:

Do people not just recast anymore? TV shows used to do that poo poo all the time and not even address it.

Arrow recast Sara Lance.

I'm honestly surprised Legends has never made a joke about that.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

howe_sam posted:

Arrow recast Sara Lance.

I'm honestly surprised Legends has never made a joke about that.

Yeah technically but she was in season 1 for 2-3 minutes max, I didn't even realize it until I read your post.

I feel like tons of shows end up recasting parts from pilots just because of the difference between a pilot and a series in terms of actor availability. The pilot of Mad Men looks like a completely different show compared to the rest of season 1 and it was shot something like a full year before the rest of season.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

GoT had some pretty comical recastings.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Pedro De Heredia posted:

GoT had some pretty comical recastings.

They've got nothing on Mad Men where they recast Bobby like 4 times and it wasn't even close.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Disfiguring explosion resulting in plastic surgery and robot voice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

Disfiguring explosion resulting in plastic surgery and robot voice

Funny, I don't remember that episode of Mad Men...