Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Applewhite posted:

Would really be a great opportunity to take the piss out of stupid grimdark tropes and make a statement about how important it is to have inspirational TV.

Or you could just watch The Orville.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Iron Crowned posted:

They need to just put Seth Mcfarlane in charge of regular Star Trek.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Applewhite posted:

Crosspost from Picard thread:

Had an idea that could turn out really great or really bad.

Galaxy Quest: Taggart

It's twenty years later and all SCI FI is dark and lovely. Nesmith is doing a dark and gritty Galaxy Quest spinoff but comes to discover how his show's tone has negatively affected the naive Thermians.

Would really be a great opportunity to take the piss out of stupid grimdark tropes and make a statement about how important it is to have inspirational TV.

i had fun thinking about it for a min or two, thank you

- he crews a ship of tech sergeant chen's like 800 children
- visits space monument to security chief roc ingersol who died on his very first mission
- alexander dane decides dr lazarus is gay

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Get Taika Waititi to direct and I'm sold. Make a sister show about young Dr. Lazarus and his half-sister who get along just great.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

- gwen demarco gets side jobs as a sign language interpreter and a court reporter
- mathesar becomes a dictator

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Iron Crowned posted:

The Orville doesn't really deconstruct modern serial drama, it just does old episodic drama competently

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Applewhite posted:

They need to just put Seth Mcfarlane in charge of regular Star Trek.

honestly I think his show is better off without all the baggage, and having modern Star Trek shows be as tone deaf and lovely as they are helps further radicalize people against the status quo

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The Orville doesn't really deconstruct modern serial drama, it just does old episodic drama competently

Yeah, but it's definitely inspiring TV.

Tighclops posted:

honestly I think his show is better off without all the baggage, and having modern Star Trek shows be as tone deaf and lovely as they are helps further radicalize people against the status quo

I was actually about to post something like this. Sure it looks and feels a lot like Star Trek, but it's an entirely new world, and it works very well.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

maybe lower decks will be about everything going well and life being great all the time

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
My prediction about Lower Decks is that it will more closely resemble other things that are popular than Star Trek as per the last two CBS projects

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I was so stoked for lower decks but I know it’s gonna suck hardcore poo poo :(

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Applewhite posted:

I was so stoked for lower decks but I know it’s gonna suck hardcore poo poo :(

it was always going to be bad but at least now you wont be disappointed :)

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Tighclops posted:

My prediction about Lower Decks is that it will more closely resemble other things that are popular than Star Trek as per the last two CBS projects
Something like Bojack Horseman I reckon (of which I know nothing but it seems the kind of thing Trek would go for in this context).

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

My Lovely Horse posted:

Something like Bojack Horseman I reckon (of which I know nothing but it seems the kind of thing Trek would go for in this context).

Not on its best day will Lower Decks approach the worst episode of Bojack Horseman.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

My prediction is that Lower Decks will be bland and unremarkable and get cancelled after two seasons, but be held up by a contingent of goons going "it's the closest thing we've gotten to real Trek since 2003!"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

We've been tasked with interrogating the captured Pakled, it is rumored they know the location of the Breen fleet.

Pakled! What do they know? Do they know things? Let's find out!

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

my prediction is that I will keep forgetting lower decks exists until someone here mentions it, triggering that memory in my mind for a brief second before it clears. this process will repeat for decades, and each time I will think about that TNG episode about the lower decks and how good it was.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

My prediction is that Lower Decks will be bland and unremarkable and get cancelled after two seasons, but be held up by a contingent of goons going "it's the closest thing we've gotten to real Trek since 2003!"

I'm excited for the first real Trek since Nemesis absolutely

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

this always made me so sad because the internal affairs guy episode was so good

so good

when he turns around and is like "i would be honored to someday work with you guys as a member of your crew" i was so impressed. what a nice, nuanced episode and message. an excellent antagonist who was not in any way a villain

and then it turns out that he's the alien bug master. gently caress that.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

GolfHole posted:

maybe lower decks will be about everything going well and life being great all the time

I know you're being glib but this is a really dumb way to frame TNG era Star Trek. Telling stories against the backdrop of a utopian society doesn't mean everything is great all the time, as evidenced by watching literally any episode of TNG. That also doesn't make them equivalent to the dour bullshit that Picard pulls, for literally no reason beyond the lack of skill of the writers.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lower Decks will be about the hardass space marines who make up 99% of the crew of the USS Destroyer and be about the hard men making hard choices.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Arcsquad12 posted:

Lower Decks will be about the hardass space marines who make up 99% of the crew of the USS Destroyer and be about the hard men making hard choices.

I love watching hard men in the lower decks.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
gently caress it, we're aping from Enterprise scripts and doing 9/11 2: 9/11 Harder

THEY want to destroy your planet freedom isn't free OORAH SUPPORT ARE REDSHIRTS UFP UFP UFP

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like how in A Matter of Perspective they don't even try to defend the whole incident between Riker and the scientist's wife as being a fabrication. Dude is such a horndog that Picard barely even blinked at the rape accusation.

"Look, advocate, he might be a lecherous pig who seduced the scientist's wife, but he's not a murderer, drat it!"

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jun 3, 2020

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The bone down everyone figured happened, but everyone balked at the rape accusation itself. Riker is incapable of nonconsensual horny :colbert:

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Coincidentally I just got to the Voyager rape allegory episode that ends with Seven of Nine feeling remorse that her false accusation ruined the life of an innocent arms dealer. Yeesh.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
i really liked what riker became by the end of tng. and that show had some really serious sex positive framing in many episodes. it was actually really cool to have adult discussions of sex and sexuality.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Yeah, you could say ol' Gene "Rod n' Berries" was sex positive.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
lower decks will be a re-airing of big bang theory, except they dub over the swooshy door opening sounds whenever anyone enters or leaves a room.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

John Wick of Dogs posted:

We've been tasked with interrogating the captured Pakled, it is rumored they know the location of the Breen fleet.

Pakled! What do they know? Do they know things? Let's find out!

a bolian (tapping his nose): they know things that make us go

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

infernal machines posted:

Yeah, you could say ol' Gene "Rod n' Berries" was sex positive.
he was also dead by then.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

RaySmuckles posted:

i really liked what riker became by the end of tng. and that show had some really serious sex positive framing in many episodes. it was actually really cool to have adult discussions of sex and sexuality.
it was funny when Geordi got owned for making a holo-fuckpuppet of that physicist

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Juul-Whip posted:

it was funny when Geordi got owned for making a holo-fuckpuppet of that physicist

Got owned by becoming friends with her and marrying her in at least one timeline.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

dudeness posted:

Got owned by becoming friends with her and marrying her in at least one timeline.

oh yeah... gently caress

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
everyone knows he married holo-brahms.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

everyone knows he married holo-brahms.

Graft an EMH holomatrix onto her and she can be people!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Everybody talks about killing Tuvix to get Tuvok back, but what about the time the EMH was malfunctioning from too much uptime, so the stabilized him by canibalizing another hologram?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
ds9 was pretty sex positive as well, they let the sex hologram become sentient