Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Luke witnesses Kate's death to the Super Bat-Killing Gun from the batcave and decides, drat it all, he's got to step into the cowl himself this time.

BATWING!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

What if the new character has backstory with every other character that Kate didn't. She's Magpie's cousin on one side, Mary's cousin on the other side. She used to work Elliot Enterprises and had plastic surgery done by Cartwright that went completely smoothly. She also used to date Julia Pennyworth too, because of course.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It just seems like recasting would be an easier choice. Sure it would be awkward at first but they have to completely revamp the show for this to work. There's no way to write a satisfactory exit for Kate since this all happened after they finished filming so they can't build up to her quitting. Killing her off would be a bad look and also the fallout would be really messy and you can't just have her disappear because they already went to that well with Bruce.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The show is already kind of a hot mess without having to change everything, too. Although maybe it will improve due to that. Either way the show needs a lead who can actually carry a show, but it's silly to not just recast Kate imho.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

If you're looking for parallels, Supergirl kinda had something similar when they moved production from LA to Vancouver after season one and had to write out one main and several recurring characters and get several different sets.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

howe_sam posted:

NYPD Blue comes to mind rapidly.

That seems like a good one, looks like Caruso left after the fourth episode of the second season. Enough to at least wrap up the character.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

It occurs to me that the writing staff had to know Rose was leaving by the time they were working on the finale, and I wonder if maybe they would've addressed the transition more gracefully (in other words kill Kate) if they'd been able to finish the season.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

howe_sam posted:

It occurs to me that the writing staff had to know Rose was leaving by the time they were working on the finale, and I wonder if maybe they would've addressed the transition more gracefully (in other words kill Kate) if they'd been able to finish the season.

If not, it would have been one hell of a dick move on Ruby Rose’s part.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Teek posted:

That seems like a good one, looks like Caruso left after the fourth episode of the second season. Enough to at least wrap up the character.

Yeah, Caruso agreed to do the first four episodes of the second season in exchange for being released from his contract several years early.

Other examples off the top of my head would be Farrah Fawcett leaving Charlie's Angels after the first season and George Dzundza bailed on Law & Order after its first season.

Edit: poo poo, Star Trek changed leads between pilots.

Timby fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 3, 2020

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That's the dumbest idea I've ever heard.

People would accept a recast, just suddenly changing the main character and gutting the central aspect of the show will probably kill it. I feel like I got a Monkey Paw wish to have less focus on Alice and getting rid of the Crows.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Timby posted:

Edit: poo poo, Star Trek changed leads between pilots.

FWIW this isn't too out of the ordinary, Star Trek just ended up showing us that version of the show too. Most shows which retool after the pilot never let the original see the light of day.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Teek posted:

FWIW this isn't too out of the ordinary, Star Trek just ended up showing us that version of the show too. Most shows which retool after the pilot never let the original see the light of day.
Yeah, just as another example, for a hot second I was thinking Voyager when Star Trek was mentioned.

nine-gear crow posted:

If not, it would have been one hell of a dick move on Ruby Rose’s part.

You'd think, but at the same time the season ended so chaotically you never know. They also might've negotiated her exit after filming stopped but before the last episodes aired. It'll make for a killer oral history in a few years if people are willing to talk openly,

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 3, 2020

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
The only way it even comes close to working is if we have a shot in episode one of a stunt person in the batsuit or something; and batwoman gets killed or something; and everyone finds out it was Kate Kane. Then the season becomes about someone else taking up the mantle.

Otherwise you basically have to sack the whole cast and do a reboot. At this point I’m not sure I wouldn’t prefer it to be a one season wonder and have them just shift to Arrow Beyond instead (assuming the rumours are true and that show wasn’t going to end up happening). I was impressed with Mia from what I saw on arrow; I think she’s a much better character to carry a show.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Just dump the whole thing, have the Legends pick up Mary in the Batwoman costume next season and say she's from a few years into the future.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Ryan Wilder sounds like a direct to DVD release of Van Wilder's much younger cousin who is enrolling at the same school and feels pressure to live up to his reputation

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Make the new character Bruce's second cousin twice removed, and also like, reveal that she's the sister of Van Wayne from Powerless (I never watched it, I don't know if he has a sister)

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
If there is any truth to this, it's mind-boggling. A recast would be so much simpler.
"Hi, Kate. Say, did you do something different with your hair today? Cool. Anyway, Magpie is up to her old tricks again..."
Verbal wink to the audience, move on, job done. If Legends can recast the same actor as a new character, Batwoman can cast a new actor as the same character.

Or, go the Avengers (1960s UK) route and upgrade a sidekick to be Batwoman. Julia or Sophie can punch poo poo, it's fine. (Unless something happened to them in the last episode – I don't know, I still have that to go.) The orignal comic Mary was a Batgirl, so fast-track Mary into a suit.

Hell, if you're going to bring in a fresh character, why not one of the existing Bat-adjacent women with a bunch of backstory you can copypaste, rather than trying to invent someone wholly new? Or at least their name so you can claim the bare minimum connection to DC. Kate in this show has already been more like Violet Paige than comic Kate, and Violet's start in comics was her being scouted by Batwoman; there's your introduction episode. Or there's Claire Clover or Stephanie Brown – if BoP hadn't taken it I'd say Cassie Cain, too. There have been so many Bat ladies to use.

Ryan Wilder :psyduck:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Moon Slayer posted:

If you're looking for parallels, Supergirl kinda had something similar when they moved production from LA to Vancouver after season one and had to write out one main and several recurring characters and get several different sets.
Legends of Tomorrow pretty much completely changed after season one. And it's not like this show has been good so far.

Argue posted:

reveal that she's the sister of Van Wayne from Powerless (I never watched it, I don't know if he has a sister)
I don't think he ever said that he didn't? :shrug:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

People are assuming that this isn't actually the character's name and is just a placeholder for a real Bat-character. This wasn't an official announcement and was from a leaked casting notice and they do that sometimes.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Legends of Tomorrow pretty much completely changed after season one. And it's not like this show has been good so far.
Legends simply focused on the stuff that worked from the first season (Vandal Savage showing up with a casserole, the Legends smoking a joint with Stein's younger self) and making that the focus of the show. What Batwoman is apparently doing is taking the core of everything in the first season, and tossing it in the dumpster. The first season of Legends wasn't good, but I don't feel bad about saying people should watch it because it builds the foundation of the relationships between Sara, Mick and Ray. Replacing Kate on the other had, seems like it makes the first season of Batwoman completely inessential.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
"would steal milk from an alley cat" and "raw, untamed ex bad person" is giving me strong Catwoman vibes.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

howe_sam posted:

The first season of Legends wasn't good, but I don't feel bad about saying people should watch it

You should.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sloth Life posted:

"would steal milk from an alley cat" and "raw, untamed ex bad person" is giving me strong Catwoman vibes.

I wonder what the writer's room was like when they were kicking around ideas for Ryan.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Dawgstar posted:

I wonder what the writer's room was like when they were kicking around ideas for Ryan.

High, horny on main, desperate.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

It was likely done over a Zoom call which means that it's one particularly loud person's idea with everyone passively agreeing after the fact.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

People are assuming that this isn't actually the character's name and is just a placeholder for a real Bat-character. This wasn't an official announcement and was from a leaked casting notice and they do that sometimes.

I'm gonna assume that this is the case.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

I'm gonna assume that this is the case.

Yeah, everything is NDA'd to hell and back these days. I recall a story Travis Willingham once told about an audition he went to where he wasn't even told a single detail about what he was auditioning for other than the character was a "military officer", and he read about five lines on the audition script until he got to "SONIC BOOM!" and he realized then and there he was auditioning for Guile in the then-new Street Fighter game.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, everything is NDA'd to hell and back these days. I recall a story Travis Willingham once told about an audition he went to where he wasn't even told a single detail about what he was auditioning for other than the character was a "military officer", and he read about five lines on the audition script until he got to "SONIC BOOM!" and he realized then and there he was auditioning for Guile in the then-new Street Fighter game.

It's no wonder one of the voice acting guild's demands in their last strike was essentially 'tell us what character we're playing we can keep a secret you ninnys.'

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The guy who played Kellogg (the badguy cyborg) in Fallout 4 didn't learn what game he was in until it actually came out.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
so I just read the series plans and yup that sure was a decision

:rip: this show. You can't pin this (entirely) on Ruby, they somehow found a way that's even stupider than an unnoticed recast and shoved all their chips in

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Chokes McGee posted:

so I just read the series plans and yup that sure was a decision

:rip: this show. You can't pin this (entirely) on Ruby, they somehow found a way that's even stupider than an unnoticed recast and shoved all their chips in

Yeah, the cast has been pretty much consistently great, it's the writers and producers that have repeatedly seen fit to torpedo the show at every turn.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > TV IV > The Batwoman is dead. Long live the Batwoman!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Showrunner is saying that Ryan Wilder is a brand new character not based on any existing DC property. Unfortunately the well has been completely poisoned on statements like that.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

God damnit, it’s Jason Todd

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's Khan and Blofeld and Jason Todd.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

But Blofeld is from the novels as well as original movies ... I'm so confused rn :thunk:

is it a joke about how bad the Craig Bond version of Blofeld is :thunk: :thunk:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Is the new Batwoman also going to be mysteriously in love with Sophie?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Azhais posted:

Is the new Batwoman also going to be mysteriously in love with Sophie?

At this point the only reason I have for watching the next season is to see how dumb and awkward they make it. And them maybe check in on it in two or three when’s if it pulls an Arrow and suddenly gets really good for like half a season here and there for making GBS threads the bed again with something like another Outsiders arc or whatever.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

esperterra posted:

But Blofeld is from the novels as well as original movies ... I'm so confused rn :thunk:

is it a joke about how bad the Craig Bond version of Blofeld is :thunk: :thunk:

When Spectre was in production they swore up and down that Christoph Waltz was not playing Blofeld.

Same as Benedict Cumberbatch for Into Darkness and the Arkham Knight in Arkham Knight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

muscles like this! posted:

When Spectre was in production they swore up and down that Christoph Waltz was not playing Blofeld.

Same as Benedict Cumberbatch for Into Darkness and the Arkham Knight in Arkham Knight.

ooooh I get it now. Will lol if that's the case here. But I'll lol even harder if it actually does end up being some original character donut steal.