Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Is it just me or is the Torch luck mechanic even more convoluted now? Like, they made it matter less, but to do so they made the formula MORE complicated -- way too much so. It's weird to think about "well if I have one torch and another torch type they cancel out, but positive score and negative score are considered separately, check each of them within ranges since some scores are only .5, then apply a lower bound of zero at the end because it can only increase luck, then...."

Like, compared to the rest of Terraria the Torch Luck and Happiness seem to be the least well-conceived (or most half-baked) mechanics left in the game, in terms of payoff versus excess complexity. All the complexity is just kind of there. The same probably applied to a lot of mechanics before they were refined to be better over different versions, but here we're supposedly on the last version.
The NPC unhappiness aspects in particular seem like they were put in just awkwardly shoehorned in for the sake of "Well, we GOTTA have some kind of flaw/penalty!". At least the initial addition of torch luck had the insane but comprehensible justification of "But my torch aesthetic :argh: "

The most common sticking point I've seen is the understandable "Where are the pylons?" confusion, due to how NPCs will sell pylons once they are happy, but unlocking new NPCs from progressing the game will make them stop selling them because of "crowding". Which I solved by evicting people into some quick prison cubes just to get the sale, defeating the whole point of encouraging me to make nicer housing for people.

Also the NPCs are morons who when left to their own devices will choose to live in a bathroom next to someone they hate on arrival, then loudly complain about it. Instead of an empty room next to somebody they like 60+ tiles away.

The most justification you get at best is "Well who cares? It's not a big deal". But the end result really doesn't seem to have reason a reason to be here in the first place, except to fill a checkbox. "Yup, this mechanic has penalties."

While I'm rambling, it would be nice if you could flag rooms as "Never use this as a house". Because it felt silly removing the lighting from all the smooth marble bathroom to prevent NPCs self sabotaging their happiness. "As you can see, my uninspired sideways H tower has a three bedroom plus bath setups with a pointless luxurious 31 tile wide empty hallway between you and anyone else." "You mean four bedroom. I hate that it's so crowded" "No it's... Oh, so that's where the Stylist went."

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jun 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Khanstant posted:

I almost wish I hadn't seen this. There are map-editing tools and we can make worlds for other people to play on?? How granular is it, can you go in and make custom dungeons and underground areas to discover?

How bad of an idea would it be to make Subnautica Terraria? The Ocean is by far the least developed biome and every other biome could work in some way as an underwater version of some kind.

Sorry to reply so late, the map editing tool tEdit is a WYSIWYG map editor that gives you the ability to edit and change blocks, walls, entities etc. Think like Paint, but with an actual useful set of tools. You can easily make large biome changes by using the block/wall painting tools, set to replace one block type for another, and painting over areas you want to change. Pretty much most biomes are defined by the presence of a certain number of particular blocks, so e.g painting crimson grass/stone over regular grass/stone is a cakewalk. Copy and paste functionality is very well done, so picking stuff out of an existing world and cleaning it up into a stamp-able schematic is trivial.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
To put it another way, during their rushed patching of the torch luck mechanic, I wish their fix would have uncomplicated it instead of the opposite. Like, just take out all the negative scores entirely. There, simple formula now.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I think NPC happiness is good. It encourages you to make multiple villages which gives you a lot more room for new and interesting themes. I also think it's great for multiplayer because everyone has their own little areas they can set up. Having multiple people working on the same megabase is a real too-many-cooks situation, at least if you care about creative vision and aren't just the 100% utilitarian NPC gulag type.

The torch thing is dumb but at least it is very easy to completely ignore now. We've all completed this game just fine without luck bonuses in the past, and we're all perfectly capable of doing it again.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Complaining about complicated mechanics in Terraria seems to be missing the forest for the trees.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Especially complicated mechanics that are entirely behind the scenes. Why are you worried about torch luck formulas? That's like worrying about rain/ladybug/moon phase fishing power formulas beyond "oh I'm catching more fish today."

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Why have a mechanic exist and give the player ways to influence it if they shouldn't think about it?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

You can think about it, you shouldn't obsess and whine about it.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

you do know that you can manually add and remove npcs from homes, right? in the housing tab you can click on the npc flag and put it where you want them to live, and you can also right click on it to remove them from that house

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I was messing around with tEdit (thanks for the tip btw) and saw something on one of my maps that seemed a bit odd. A switch wired to lava? Alright, let's check it out.

Yep, a pressure plate switch that opens up a lavafall above you. Pretty neat!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

watho posted:

you do know that you can manually add and remove npcs from homes, right? in the housing tab you can click on the npc flag and put it where you want them to live, and you can also right click on it to remove them from that house
I mean, yeah. But it highlighted how slapdash the whole "crowding and hate their neighbors" aspect feels when you shuffle them away from their first choice of room to avoid whining. My moving NPCs to another room after the fact, didn't make it any less silly to discover they moved into a toilet for apparently the sole purpose of making people complain about crowding. It could have been at least, funny enough to leave it be as emergent NPC behavior without such penalties.

It didn't add anything, it didn't reward attempts to make better housing than a series of cubes in a row. It just reminded me that NPCs would rather live in a torch lit 7x7 cube than anything you put thought into, because their #1 concern is proximity to other NPCs.

The unhappiness elements are a mild annoyance at worst in the long run, sure. But that just makes it even more bizarre to see people try and act like they are some great encouragement to creativity.

If I go out and make a meteor furniture themed fishing lodge next to my meteor brick lined oasis pool, the Dye trader would loathe it if more than a few NPCs were within 30ish tiles of his flag. He'd wish for the good old days of having a double cube with the arms dealer for five minutes to get a pylon sale, before cruelly forcing them back to their 17x9 room with their own bed and actual windows in the forest :v:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dareon posted:

Corruption spreads from corrupted blocks, the altars have nothing to do with spread (outside one specific interaction). Before beating the Wall of Flesh, corruption will only spread via grass and can be stopped by three or more blocks of non grass or a sunflower.

After beating the giant shaft of meat :quagmire: a burst of corruption will shoot diagonally upward through your world, essentially ruining all your hard work. Now corruption can spread through stone, sand, and grass, as well as converting mud into dirt and spreading grass across that. A second type of infection, the Hallow, will also spawn and follow the same rules. Additionally, smashing the altars with a hammer the WoF drops will change random blocks into tiny pockets of corruption and hallow.

This all sounds terrible, but the spread is slow (a lot slower than it used to be in previous versions) and as you progress further you start getting more options for dealing with it, like chlorophyte and the clentaminator.

Before hardmode, invasive biomes (corruption, crimson, hallow) only spreads through grass.

After hardmode, they also spread through stone, sand (including hardened sand) and ice. And yeah, mud is turned to dirt by corruption and crimson so as to spread over the jungle, but the Hallow leaves the jungle alone, so you can plant some Hallow to protect the jungle, and also corruption and crimson cannot attack mushroom grass so glowing shrooms can also be used to protect the surface jungle. Inversely, you can use the jungle to contain the hallow's growth (just dump a layer of mud and plant some jungle grass)

Snow is safe, so a snow biome without any ice will remain a pure snow biome; and any sort of artificial block is also safe, so ebonstone bricks and lesion blocks will not spread corruption, crimstone bricks and flesh blocks will not spread crimson, pearlstone bricks will not spread hallow. Ebonwood, shadewood, and pearlwood will not spread biome either, and neither will demonite or crimtane ore. No type of brick can be converted.

On the other hand, chlorophyte will spread to mud, and will convert dirt into mud.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Today's progress on building a custom world:

Further shaping of the overworld terrain and biomes, extensions to the temple, dungeon, desert, marble and granite biomes and a space cleared out to fill in with an underground ocean + river. Pyramids will go in once I rework them a bit, they're boring as is. Still a lot of work to do (cloud biomes and hell mainly) but overall things are coming along well. I'll probably host a server for this map once it's done, after I do some playtesting with a group of friends.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Memento posted:

I was messing around with tEdit (thanks for the tip btw) and saw something on one of my maps that seemed a bit odd. A switch wired to lava? Alright, let's check it out.

Yep, a pressure plate switch that opens up a lavafall above you. Pretty neat!

Yeah, there's something similar in the underground desert with sand that feels even more insidious, suddenly you're at the bottom of a 8x16 block of sand and digging just makes more sand fall on you.

Section Z posted:

I mean, yeah. But it highlighted how slapdash the whole "crowding and hate their neighbors" aspect feels when you shuffle them away from their first choice of room to avoid whining. My moving NPCs to another room after the fact, didn't make it any less silly to discover they moved into a toilet for apparently the sole purpose of making people complain about crowding. It could have been at least, funny enough to leave it be as emergent NPC behavior without such penalties.

It didn't add anything, it didn't reward attempts to make better housing than a series of cubes in a row. It just reminded me that NPCs would rather live in a torch lit 7x7 cube than anything you put thought into, because their #1 concern is proximity to other NPCs.

The unhappiness elements are a mild annoyance at worst in the long run, sure. But that just makes it even more bizarre to see people try and act like they are some great encouragement to creativity.

If I go out and make a meteor furniture themed fishing lodge next to my meteor brick lined oasis pool, the Dye trader would loathe it if more than a few NPCs were within 30ish tiles of his flag. He'd wish for the good old days of having a double cube with the arms dealer for five minutes to get a pylon sale, before cruelly forcing them back to their 17x9 room with their own bed and actual windows in the forest :v:

The idea is to encourage you to make small villages around the map you goober.

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jun 3, 2020

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Lifeforce Potions are really good, I feel like they're so good they're basically mandatory for me since I'm bad at the game, and I don't like it because why would you have a consumable that's that good? But it helps. So I guess that's okay. Killed Duke Fishron, done everything except Dreadnautilus (lol) and Moon Lord, then I'm gonna go for the Zenith cause I just need the Moon Lord's drops.

also wow the Solar Flare is insane nobody told me it was "haha flail go brr" levels of hilarity

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Terraprisma is Good. With a bit of summoning support, it solos all content aside from golem+ bosses (where you have to move a bit). Otherwise you can just sit in an arena and AFK.

It’s, like, appropriately endgame. So powerful it trivializes the entire game.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

DNK posted:

Terraprisma is Good. With a bit of summoning support, it solos all content aside from golem+ bosses (where you have to move a bit). Otherwise you can just sit in an arena and AFK.

It’s, like, appropriately endgame. So powerful it trivializes the entire game.
Seems appropriate for something you have to fight an enraged boss where all their moves become instant kills to get.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I haven't thought about this game in forever and I guess it's basically tripled/quadrupled in size since I played it at release, so I thought I'd revist it.

Is this the sort of game where there are some cool modpacks and poo poo I should grab from the workshop or am I good to go just playing the latest build?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

mods aren’t updated for the current version and won’t be for a long while

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

thankfully tmodloader is officially supported by the company that takes three years to make two bosses and some settings tweaks

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

I'm going to be critical of 7 years of free updates, too! I am extremely normal.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

gently caress SNEEP posted:

I'm going to be critical of 7 years of free updates, too! I am extremely normal.
And let's not talk about the completely new game mode and the 1000+ new items, those don't count.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah, there's something similar in the underground desert with sand that feels even more insidious, suddenly you're at the bottom of a 8x16 block of sand and digging just makes more sand fall on you.

The idea is to encourage you to make small villages around the map you goober.

it was presented as encouraging players to not make a giant floating prison of 3X10 cells

Instead now you should make several small floating prisons of 3X10 cells

at no point were "small villages" encouraged in any way

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Excelzior posted:

it was presented as encouraging players to not make a giant floating prison of 3X10 cells

Instead now you should make several small floating prisons of 3X10 cells

at no point were "small villages" encouraged in any way
It's encouraged in that you need to have at least 2 NPCs per pylon, so you're encouraged to spread them out a little and since you've got only two of them to take care of per location, a bit of fancy architecture is easier than when you keep getting more and more new ones and need to make additions to your central base over and over.

Fishy Flip
Jan 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So I was just about ready to start hardmode and one of the few things I had left to do was build some NPC housing to get my pylon network up. I still had all my NPCs crowded in my main base. Since I'm playing journey mode and have access to unlimited building materials, I decided to actually try and put some effort into my NPC towns. Now it's a week later and I've pretty much done nothing but build stuff. Never even got around to starting hardmode yet. In the past when I've played Terraria I've never really bothered with trying to build anything beyond a pretty basic main base. It's great not having to go farm all the materials you need, you can just get right down to it. Just wanted to share what I came up with. They're nothing spectacular, but I had fun making them and am pretty happy with how they turned out.

I'm playing on a large world, Journey mode (mostly legit, only using duplication for building materials), Classic difficulty.

Wasn't sure if building my cavern base all the way down in the underworld was a good idea or not, but I decided to just do it anyway. I do get the occasional fire imp teleport inside but it's mostly quiet. The top entrance is my hellavator which connects to my main base in the forest biome.

Snow Biome Cabin / Watchtower

Oceanside Condos / Bar

Surface Mushroom Biome House

Desert Village

Jungle Mountain Retreat w/ Bamboo Fishing Hut

Aaaand my main base that I've been using since I started on this world. Probably the least impressive, I just dug out a space between two living trees I found close to spawn. I never really had a plan for it. I recently rebuilt some parts of it adding more room for storage and crafting and replacing all my now unused NPC housing with an herb farm. The left tree is the start of the hellavator that connects to the cavern base in the underworld. What I'd maybe like to do one day is replace to two trees at the top with one GIANT tree. But that's a big project for another time. I think I'm done building for now.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Dareon posted:

Corruption spreads from corrupted blocks, the altars have nothing to do with spread (outside one specific interaction). Before beating the Wall of Flesh, corruption will only spread via grass and can be stopped by three or more blocks of non grass or a sunflower.

After beating the giant shaft of meat :quagmire: a burst of corruption will shoot diagonally upward through your world, essentially ruining all your hard work. Now corruption can spread through stone, sand, and grass, as well as converting mud into dirt and spreading grass across that. A second type of infection, the Hallow, will also spawn and follow the same rules. Additionally, smashing the altars with a hammer the WoF drops will change random blocks into tiny pockets of corruption and hallow.

This all sounds terrible, but the spread is slow (a lot slower than it used to be in previous versions) and as you progress further you start getting more options for dealing with it, like chlorophyte and the clentaminator.

Oh, only grass pre-hardmode. So I haven't had corruption spread in ages lol. I'm using Scarab Bombs to dig diagonal shafts for my minetracks, it's really fun going on those things all fast and I haven't even touched mechanical stuff yet. Maybe those shafts will make it easier to quarantine hardmode corruptions when it comes. Something tells me I'll still be obsessively trying to clear it with manual powder before I get to those things you mentioned haha.

Speaking of WoF, I have a vague memory of the strategy to build a long minecraft track from end to end in the lava level?

Fishy Flip posted:

I'm playing on a large world, Journey mode (mostly legit, only using duplication for building materials), Classic difficulty.

Two questions, what's duping in this context, in-game or using a program? Two, how'd you build those stairs- Is it just diagonal platforms(if so, wow, how did i never notice that option) or something you craft that I hadn't noticed yet?

Loving your little homes by the way, the desert outpost is my favourite. Definitely need to revisit my lonely Demolitionist's desert home. Last night I just discovered you can hammer blocks to make them into corner slabs and stuff, game changer.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 3, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Khanstant posted:

Two questions, what's duping in this context, in-game or using a program? Two, how'd you build those stairs- Is it just diagonal platforms(if so, wow, how did i never notice that option) or something you craft that I hadn't noticed yet?
In-game, the Journey Mode comes with a "research" function that lets you feed a certain number of items of a given type into it and then duplicate them freely. It's entirely optional and you have to find the item type first to be able to do that, so it doesn't usually feel cheaty.

Stairs are something that automatically happens when you place platforms diagonally to each other.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

OgNar posted:

If you hold the alt key (i think) you can select your potions and other items and they wont go to a chest.

Oh, this will be very handy, I've often found myself ill-equipped somewhere because I autosorted it into a box. Thanks!

Cardiovorax posted:

In-game, the Journey Mode comes with a "research" function that lets you feed a certain number of items of a given type into it and then duplicate them freely. It's entirely optional and you have to find the item type first to be able to do that, so it doesn't usually feel cheaty.

Stairs are something that automatically happens when you place platforms diagonally to each other.

Oh doy, I knew that for some reason I was thinking journey mode was the default mode when I read it. Can't believe I've not placed two platforms diagonal yet to make a stair, haha. I mean, I hadn't tried to make any designs that need stairs yet anyway, but i did pour like 2,000 sand over a little mountain to make a perfect diagonal sand-ramp over it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Dunno if you have maybe not noticed that yet, either, but you can use hammers on solid blocks to beat them into diffent shapes, including triangles and half-blocks. If you're willing to go the distance, you could make that ramp be actually smooth and diagonal, no choppy stair effect. Just figured I'd mention it.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
It's kind of a shame that you can't get certain entire classes of items without going into Master mode. I get it, it should have rewards but I'm a wuss and play on Journey because getting splatted 8 times in 1 night is kind of ruining my fun. Just more of a whine than "game is bad".

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Master rewards are 99.9% cosmetic and 0.01% The Black Spot (which isn’t even that good; its maneuverability is terrible and you have access to teleporters). Witch’s Broom is the best flying mount for general combat-related stuff. You can do some silly kiting with TBS, but... idk, you can do that with an asphalt skyway even better.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Khanstant posted:

Oh, only grass pre-hardmode. So I haven't had corruption spread in ages lol. I'm using Scarab Bombs to dig diagonal shafts for my minetracks, it's really fun going on those things all fast and I haven't even touched mechanical stuff yet. Maybe those shafts will make it easier to quarantine hardmode corruptions when it comes. Something tells me I'll still be obsessively trying to clear it with manual powder before I get to those things you mentioned haha.
Uh, you're going to WANT corruption to exist because you'll need materials that drop from underground corruption enemies.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

gently caress SNEEP posted:

ah the old "free update no complaining" argument, classic. i just wish i could play thorium, a free mod made by half as many people in a quarter of the time with four times the content

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Getting rid of surface corruption won't hurt for that, the hardmode corruption spread goes from the bottom of the underworld all the way to the surface in a wide diagonal light. Not having corruption at that point does not stop this.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

ah the old "free update no complaining" argument, classic. i just wish i could play thorium, a free mod made by half as many people in a quarter of the time with four times the content

You can? Just roll back to 1.3 and install Thorium

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

In fact, there is even a working 64-bit version of tModLoader that you can easily install over the Steam version and play all of the mods at once without ever running out of memory again. It's what I've been doing for the last few days.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Zore posted:

You can? Just roll back to 1.3 and install Thorium

I did, and I loved it, but pylons and the incentive to build outside of your npc hotel is really fun too

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Dunno if you have maybe not noticed that yet, either, but you can use hammers on solid blocks to beat them into diffent shapes, including triangles and half-blocks. If you're willing to go the distance, you could make that ramp be actually smooth and diagonal, no choppy stair effect. Just figured I'd mention it.

Just noticed that last night by accident, definitely going to need to smooth out my sand-dune ramp because it's really fun to go up and will be even better smooth without me going so fast i clip into the blocks lol.

That first "boost spin" jump you get from triple-balloon item is so drat fun, I sometimes just hop around the surface for no reason. I know there are more movement options to get eventually but I wonder if any of them are as fun as these funny jumps.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

I did, and I loved it, but pylons and the incentive to build outside of your npc hotel is really fun too

mods take time and effort to update to new versions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

There is a pylons mod for 1.3, albeit better. Wall Mounted Magic Mirrors.