Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Bortus would never protest that he is not a merry man.

I AM A VIRGIN

IN THAT WAY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

You all are making me miss this show.. :( may have to do a rewatch

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Last Chance posted:

You all are making me miss this show.. :( may have to do a rewatch

:same:

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Thirded

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Does anyone else find themselves skipping the pilot? There are just a lot of strange cringey elements that were ironed out by the second or third episodes.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zurui posted:

Does anyone else find themselves skipping the pilot? There are just a lot of strange cringey elements that were ironed out by the second or third episodes.

It's important to see it once, though. If nothing else for the setup to

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I discovered I had access to this on streaming and have ended up just binge watching the whole lot over a week. I wasn't sure what to expect and ended up finding it scratched an itch better than Picard or Discovery (the latter I gave up on). It kinda feels a bit like Spartacus in that it is outgrowing its baggage (tits, cock & blood / Macfarlane's brand of humour) to deliver a well written show that puts a lot of more illustrious shows to shame.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Pablo Bluth posted:

I discovered I had access to this on streaming and have ended up just binge watching the whole lot over a week. I wasn't sure what to expect and ended up finding it scratched an itch better than Picard or Discovery (the latter I gave up on). It kinda feels a bit like Spartacus in that it is outgrowing its baggage (tits, cock & blood / Macfarlane's brand of humour) to deliver a well written show that puts a lot of more illustrious shows to shame.

Yeah the worst part is putting himself in the show, but he's such a huge startrek geek it's hard to hold it against him. Whoms't among us wouldn't be a spaceship captain if we had the chance?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Yeah, when he says "engage quantum drive!" for the first time you can tell he's been living for this day since he was like, 5.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Zurui posted:

Yeah, when he says "engage quantum drive!" for the first time you can tell he's been living for this day since he was like, 5.

Hell, I have been too

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mooseontheloose posted:

I find Bortus to be interesting because he clearly is very liberal/non-traditional for his culture.

Same, I think Bortus is the only* Moclan adult we've seen who really seems to buy into the Union as a cultural exchange instead of just an economic-defensive alliance. Virtually all of the other Moclans practically resent any serious interrogation of their society or idea that they can learn anything from other cultures, they're socially conservative almost as a species trait.

*Not counting the gender dissident underground, who understandably have a different perspective about all of this.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Agreed, but Bortus addresses this head-on in one of the episodes - it's understandable that Klyden has a lot of culture shock, but he's been presented with endless opportunities to learn and integrate with the crew and has denied or rebuffed them all.
Why's it on him to assimilate and not the crew?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

The crew has consistently made allowances for Moclan cultural norms and participated in Moclan games and ceremonies. Klyden has consistently refused to meet them halfway and instead spends most of his time hiding himself in Bortus' quarters.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

The crew takes a detour to Moclus so that Bortus can take a ceremonial piss off a mountain

Klyden refuses to acknowledge the ship's commander in conversation because she's a woman

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 2, 2020

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Zurui posted:

To be fair, that fits perfectly with Mercer's character too.

The Bloop posted:

It's important to see it once, though. If nothing else for the setup to

JA'LOJAAAAAAA!!!!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I know people love to hate Seth but he definitely had the self-awareness to write his character as a dad-joking goober

I think Mercer is a good character and well played

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Agreed, and I hate Seth in virtually everything else he's done. It helps a lot that Mercer is written as clearly a flawed person.

Honestly, on a Star Trek Captains scale he's pretty good too. He clearly values the input from his crew, plays to their strengths and goes to great lengths to make sure everyone feels important.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

And he allows them to have beverages on the bridge.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Davros1 posted:

And he allows them to have beverages on the bridge.

So did the old captain, there are also cup holders for the command chairs.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I like that he doesn't play his own character off like a Mary Sue. Mercer does lovely things and gets called out on it by everyone.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Feel like poo poo just want her back

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I feel like Moclans are almost more a riff on Ferengi than Klingons; their primary industry seems to be arms dealing, they're misogynistic, etc etc.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Cojawfee posted:

I like that he doesn't play his own character off like a Mary Sue. Mercer does lovely things and gets called out on it by everyone.

He also takes a back seat a lot too. Sometimes Mercer is barely around in an episode and it really just focuses on other characters. It does make the project seem a little less self indulgent (still *really* self indulgent).

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

And he isn't a bad rear end. He is just a normal dude. His First Officer is the kickass one.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
We no longer fear the banana!

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Yeah. Hating it only because Seth is in it is stupid. He's perfect for the role as written. If you wanna hate it just because Seth made it, fine. (you're still an idiot though)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Especially since apparently a lot of the cheaper humor was forced in by Fox, who looked at the concept and went "oh ok Family Guy dude, you want to make Family Guy Star Trek? go for it!"

S3 is gonna rule now that they're on Hulu

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
One thing I like is that the Orville itself isn't a flagship or technically anything special. Ed isn't the first Captain, and there's nothing experimental about it. It's just a regular old exploritory ship, that ends up making history.

Hell, Isaac was probably stationed there for that very reason.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

JossiRossi posted:

He also takes a back seat a lot too. Sometimes Mercer is barely around in an episode and it really just focuses on other characters. It does make the project seem a little less self indulgent (still *really* self indulgent).

Reminder that this exists. It's an earned self-indulgence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TnCS1RNBFE

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Im 96% certain that most seth-haters among trek fans would gladly take same place he has now. And gently caress up badly but that's optional (:stare: picard/discovery big budget gold names fanfics)

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

mllaneza posted:

Reminder that this exists. It's an earned self-indulgence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TnCS1RNBFE

I keep hoping they show a bit of that clip on the show as "When Mercer was young he was THIS kind of dork" and change the commbadge and the like.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

JossiRossi posted:

I keep hoping they show a bit of that clip on the show as "When Mercer was young he was THIS kind of dork" and change the commbadge and the like.

They don't need to change anything. Just make Trek a show in their world (implying it's ours)

They do it with other shows

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Yup. Remember they were watching Seinfeld on the bridge.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Yup. Remember they were watching Seinfeld on the bridge.

Somehow this reminded me of this https://www.huffpost.com/entry/tv-show-fake-tommy-westphall-universe_n_55f84ba1e4b00e2cd5e8118a?guccounter=1

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is that the thing where someone notices someone has a can of coke in a show, and there was a can of coke in St. Elsewhere so the shows are connected?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Cojawfee posted:

Is that the thing where someone notices someone has a can of coke in a show, and there was a can of coke in St. Elsewhere so the shows are connected?

Looks like it's about which shows feature the same background references and/or have had direct crossovers (regardless if they were promotional one-offs or regular episodes). The fake Morely Cigarettes brand seems to have been pretty common across a lot of productions, and so that "counts" as being part of a shared universe.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Season Three when?!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tarquinn posted:

Season Three when?!

Well, first we need to get "filming tv shows" added to the list of essential businesses.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Looks like it's about which shows feature the same background references and/or have had direct crossovers (regardless if they were promotional one-offs or regular episodes). The fake Morely Cigarettes brand seems to have been pretty common across a lot of productions, and so that "counts" as being part of a shared universe.

They're in The Walking Dead so that shared universe has a hell of a twist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I"m declaring that chart invalid due to labeling "The Ropers" as "The Rodgers."

The Bloop posted:

They're in The Walking Dead so that shared universe has a hell of a twist

https://www.theearlhayspress.com/

Now you can get your own issues of Playpen to leave around the house.