Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Serra has discovered the front facing camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

omg

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Captain Log posted:

Serra has discovered the front facing camera.

Serra you are entirely too cute to be real.

HOW do you do it??

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
here is my instagram if you want to see more Tango pictures (there are only 2 at the moment, but will be uploading more over time)

https://www.instagram.com/300chickens/

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Day 2 of having our infant son home. Nicky seems fine as long as he's not too close, but is afraid of him a little bit. Like, just enough to move away, but not enough to freak out. It appears the jealousy has yet to set in, hopefully it never does.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

The Smuggest Cockatoo got posted on the Portland Facebook Group.

I thought I'd share -

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean
Been a while since I last checked out the thread or posted. Some of you might remember my two birds Scallop and Chicken.

They're both still doing great, Scallop is just over one year old now and chicken is almost one.

Scallop has mastered the wolf whistle, she even finishes it off if you do the first part. Still very attached to me, even with chicken around.

Chicken is still afraid of hands and forearms but loves shoulders. She's perfectly comfortable with people now even when scallop isn't with her but just can't handle fingers near her if they're moving. Hasn't been a problem since instead of hands she has her special tray that she gets on to.

Scallop with some post bath red dye from a toy

Chicken climbing all over me

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Ansith posted:

Been a while since I last checked out the thread or posted. Some of you might remember my two birds Scallop and Chicken.

They're both still doing great, Scallop is just over one year old now and chicken is almost one.

Scallop has mastered the wolf whistle, she even finishes it off if you do the first part. Still very attached to me, even with chicken around.

Chicken is still afraid of hands and forearms but loves shoulders. She's perfectly comfortable with people now even when scallop isn't with her but just can't handle fingers near her if they're moving. Hasn't been a problem since instead of hands she has her special tray that she gets on to.

Scallop with some post bath red dye from a toy

Chicken climbing all over me

Awww, they still have their little bright baby beaks. :3:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Owning a grey in 2 pictures

Chillin out with his best friend

OR MURDEROUS RAGE FOR FLESH

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jun 3, 2020

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Greys are good and although I will never have one myself, I love them.

Did anyone order juvenile birds? Because I've got a bunch of baby birds screaming at me when I go to shift now.

A young California Towhee, who not only screeched horribly the entire time I held them, but continued screaming after release, landed in a nearby tree and continued the horrible noise for several minutes.

So you know, baby birds.

Young European Starlings are quite plain looking!

I mean I think they are still very nice looking birds but significantly less colorful.

As a side note, I typically find them in pairs. Siblings, perhaps?

What doofs

House Sparrows, the smart ones escape as I approach

We have so many of these little friends

House finch babby.

Some goslings that are way too big to fit in the traps even if they tried

Lastly, a bonus friend from one trap:

I've just started taking my old camera to work today, so hopefully I'll have some higher quality pictures soon.

Stay safe and comfy, birds and bird friends!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

You have the literal best job. :3:

Bonus Serra Photobomb -

She is enjoying her new mirror friend. :derptiel:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Hannah :kimchi:

I bet if you spoke to him in that first pic he'd just snuggle his beak into his shoulder more firmly, as a hint that he is too busy snoozing for conversation.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Captain Log posted:

You have the literal best job. :3:

Bonus Serra Photobomb -

She is enjoying her new mirror friend. :derptiel:

Although adorable, I can't help the weird nerd brain screaming at me

Is that a Michael Whelan print in the background? Golden Dream? I had to go look up the name but I recognized it instantly.

Sorry, I know I kinda failed as an artist but he's the artist who inspired me to become one and I can't help but notice his work. Really cheered me up, beyond just 'cute bird pics'

I have a signed print of Dragon Fire on my wall, it's a prized possession of mine.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Chaosfeather posted:

Is that a Michael Whelan print in the background? Golden Dream? I had to go look up the name but I recognized it instantly.

Sorry, I know I kinda failed as an artist but he's the artist who inspired me to become one and I can't help but notice his work. Really cheered me up, beyond just 'cute bird pics'

I have a signed print of Dragon Fire on my wall, it's a prized possession of mine.

I have bought books purely on the strength of Michael Whelan's cover art. He's really good at what he does.

(The best purchase of this type was the Coldfire Trilogy by CS Friedman, which I bought in a used bookstore in California on a trip to see family. The back of the book's description wasn't very good but the cover art was SO drat good I bought books 1+3 and found book 2 later, just so I could have that art. And to my delight the inside of the book was good, with an engaging story about a priest and a vampire in a weird fantasy/sci-fi world.)

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

I have bought books purely on the strength of Michael Whelan's cover art. He's really good at what he does.

(The best purchase of this type was the Coldfire Trilogy by CS Friedman, which I bought in a used bookstore in California on a trip to see family. The back of the book's description wasn't very good but the cover art was SO drat good I bought books 1+3 and found book 2 later, just so I could have that art. And to my delight the inside of the book was good, with an engaging story about a priest and a vampire in a weird fantasy/sci-fi world.)

Goddamn you just sold me on some books with that combo.

And yes, I've bought books solely on going "hey I know that artist! I generally like the stories he paints for...."

Time to grow to my ever-growing books-to-read pile. Sorry for the derail, thread! Hope to be back with a bird pic from today in thanks.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Here's Ama flipping out on his wheel post-bath yesterday, sound on.

https://i.imgur.com/G0EL2J0.mp4

I'm in love with the enraged little HONK!! a couple seconds in where he's so worked up he forgets how to breathe

e: cannot figure how to make it smaller

i would die for him :supaburn: :kimchi:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Here's Ama flipping out on his wheel post-bath yesterday, sound on

I'm in love with the enraged little HONK!! a couple seconds in where he's so worked up he forgets how to breathe

e: cannot figure how to make it smaller
He's just SO BUSY SO HARD AT WORK, it's amazing :3:

So many lovely birbs in this thread, seeing them all is a real bright spot in my day :)

Edit: I know people are mostly only joking about greys being evil , but in my experience, African greys are very reasonable and sweet-natured, they only get violent when they are ignored. Unfortunately they communicate a lot by subtle bits of body language, so often what seems like an attack out of the blue is, to the bird an.explosion of bad temper after many hints being ignored. Pookie used to bite fairly often, but hasn't bitten anyone for years now because we are all much better at seeing what the heck she is saying. Nowadays it just blows my mind when I see someone try to cuddle her when she's puffed like a football and has her rage face on to defend a potential nest site. Basically, they are smart birbs and we are dopey monkeys a lot of the time.

(however some birds are just straight-up assholes)

Pookah fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 3, 2020

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

On the off chance that this will help someone:

A cockatiel (presumably one with an owner that misses them) was found in Dallas yesterday, and their owner is yet to be found.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
tuckered himself out!

don't make any noise... don't make any noise *floorboard creaks*

shoot

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Chaosfeather posted:

You have one hell of an eye!

My father was a very smalltime published horror author in the 80's and used to read voraciously. He has multiple signed Whelan prints he picked up from seeing them on the cover of books he read. That one was from my great grandfather, who died before I was born. He sent some money from England and told my father to get an heirloom that I'd keep around. Dad picked that and it's hung over my bed most of my life. The funny thing is my great grandfather wore a gold pinky ring his whole life, which got handed down to my father, which got handed down to me twenty years ago. I've worn it every day for twenty years.

I think Whelan inscribed it, "To Logan, may all your dreams be golden ones!"

Despite never being alive at the same time, my great grandfather managed to pass down multiple heirlooms to his only great grandchild. :downs: (I also have his camera from WWII and a lot of wild stuff. If I could meet one person who died before I was around it would be him.)

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

In TFR, I was complaining at being bored a posted a random Serra picture -

Captain Log posted:

God drat, this lockdown is getting old. I need more busywork.

BIRD!

Cyrano then told me to look closer. I cannot believe I missed this -

Cyrano4747 posted:

Look again man, looks like you're missing a hint

I need to pay more attention.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

they're all so offended :allears:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Captain Log posted:

In TFR, I was complaining at being bored a posted a random Serra picture -

Cyrano then told me to look closer. I cannot believe I missed this -

I need to pay more attention.

Cyrano knows what he's talking about.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Eejit posted:

If something is wrong (explicitly, if humans are not holding birb) Teeka yells. What a great communicator

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Cyrano knows what he's talking about.

:hmmyes:

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Captain Log posted:

You have one hell of an eye!

My father was a very smalltime published horror author in the 80's and used to read voraciously. He has multiple signed Whelan prints he picked up from seeing them on the cover of books he read. That one was from my great grandfather, who died before I was born. He sent some money from England and told my father to get an heirloom that I'd keep around. Dad picked that and it's hung over my bed most of my life. The funny thing is my great grandfather wore a gold pinky ring his whole life, which got handed down to my father, which got handed down to me twenty years ago. I've worn it every day for twenty years.

I think Whelan inscribed it, "To Logan, may all your dreams be golden ones!"

Despite never being alive at the same time, my great grandfather managed to pass down multiple heirlooms to his only great grandchild. :downs: (I also have his camera from WWII and a lot of wild stuff. If I could meet one person who died before I was around it would be him.)

That's incredibly sweet and I'm so happy you have such wonderful heirlooms! Also a good family and borb.

Because I promised, someone here silently ordered more baby starlings.

I know this because I encountered a good 30 of them. And they were ALL MOLTING.

You know what the wailing sounds like. You KNOW.

Several traps were like this, I had to stop taking pictures and start catching birds else I was going to run out of time.

Bonus Towhee, I think this is my favorite picture of the species thus far. Perfectly captures their grace.

Also this grumpy house sparrow was shockingly chill.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Chaosfeather posted:

Several traps were like this, I had to stop taking pictures and start catching birds else I was going to run out of time.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Chaosfeather posted:

Bonus Towhee, I think this is my favorite picture of the species thus far. Perfectly captures their grace.

unhand me at once, knave! i will not stand for this indignity!!!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I love your pictures of bothered birds SO MUCH

it's like the polar opposite of the usual pics in this threads - content, happy birds who are getting up to mischief - and instead it's just so much fury and indignation and I love it so much

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Chaosfeather posted:

how the hell did you get a picture of my internal chatter

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean
Scallop has worked out how the small food bowl doors work and can lift them up about 5cm. She has started doing it to signal to me she wants to come out when I reach in to change the bowls (9 times out of 10 she jumps up on my hand if it it's in there).

I clipped down the doors so I don't have an escape. As much as I love that she is learning how these things work, I have a fear of opening the front door after work and having a bird fly past me without being able to react in time.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Ansith posted:

Scallop has worked out how the small food bowl doors work and can lift them up about 5cm. She has started doing it to signal to me she wants to come out when I reach in to change the bowls (9 times out of 10 she jumps up on my hand if it it's in there).

I clipped down the doors so I don't have an escape. As much as I love that she is learning how these things work, I have a fear of opening the front door after work and having a bird fly past me without being able to react in time.

Crouton and Galbedir very quickly figured out, like Toast before them, that clanging the food doors is a good way to get me to wake up and let them out. In theory Crouton and Galbedir could easily make their escape this way given that there's two of them and I've got video evidence of other pairs of small parrots doing it, but given that they are both Cute But Dumb and have never managed it yet, I can only conclude they don't know how to do it. If the doors get pegged down, all three figured out how to use the breakfast bell instead.

Here's a good gif of a lovebird doing their best trick:
https://i.imgur.com/PAuhx0Q.mp4

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Serra will completely lift her door up, but she doesn't seem to understand the "run under it" part. She normally does it because she wants a seed or treat crumb underneath the door.

Cockatiels.

:derptiel:

Serra also knows how to flip over a small cup to get a treat underneath it. She is somehow both smart (for a cockatiel) and perpetually started by absolutely everything.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Oh my god, Mayo just recently discovered those little latches as well. She only does it on the small carrying cage but she'll open and close them as part of her "job"

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I have a parakeet question -

Blue and Yellow exhibit a behavior I've never seen before. They ignore 90% of their toys in favor of string. If they can get a piece of string, they will just groom the tip of it got literal hours. Because of how much they like it, we have hung multiple pieces of string from the bars at the top of their cage. They spend so much time just endlessly grooming the string. Blue's pupils will even dilate from excitement while he is doing it.

Anyone else ever seen this?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Captain Log posted:

I have a parakeet question -

Blue and Yellow exhibit a behavior I've never seen before. They ignore 90% of their toys in favor of string. If they can get a piece of string, they will just groom the tip of it got literal hours. Because of how much they like it, we have hung multiple pieces of string from the bars at the top of their cage. They spend so much time just endlessly grooming the string. Blue's pupils will even dilate from excitement while he is doing it.

Anyone else ever seen this?

Galbedir is the same. He loves Mop and even likes Scary Broom if it's been asleep long enough. Sits there nibbling and grumbling happily to himself. I know it can be bad for them if they ingest bits of string or rope so I try to discourage it.

Both of them go batty for aglets because you can crack them open like sunflower seeds.

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

The baby budgie, Scamp, is toddling around now.

He can walk. He’s so pretty- his wings are speckled gray instead of black, with shades of blue, violet, yellow and green in his tail.
He can lift his head and perch on things for a little while. He still has the instinct to hide under his mom, but he also hides under me. He thinks an armpit is a good hiding place, bless his heart.
He’s the light of my life in a difficult time. :)

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

what an adorable little fuzzy budge, they grow so fast

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

A real thing that came up in a class this past semester: the main reason so many birds are raised by both parents is because it is nigh impossible for a single parent to provide enough food for chicks that are growing from "tiny naked jellybean" to "ready to learn to fly" over the course of mere weeks. It just takes so much energy. The single parent exceptions tend to be in either extremely food rich habitats or are born cute, fluffy, and ready to feed themselves while running after mom or dad.

That said, I've also seen case studies of chickadee nests where DNA testing shows all the babies are related to one parent, but none are related to both, and it implies not only that mom has a side piece, but dad has a side piece who laid her eggs in his nest before loving off. Birds.

I am a fount of useless information.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

RoboRodent posted:

A real thing that came up in a class this past semester: the main reason so many birds are raised by both parents is because it is nigh impossible for a single parent to provide enough food for chicks that are growing from "tiny naked jellybean" to "ready to learn to fly" over the course of mere weeks. It just takes so much energy. The single parent exceptions tend to be in either extremely food rich habitats or are born cute, fluffy, and ready to feed themselves while running after mom or dad.

That said, I've also seen case studies of chickadee nests where DNA testing shows all the babies are related to one parent, but none are related to both, and it implies not only that mom has a side piece, but dad has a side piece who laid her eggs in his nest before loving off. Birds.

I am a fount of useless information.

The Two-Timing Kestrel video illustrates this well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ7sz69t2OE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

What is this called? I can't find it at Bed Bath & Beyond?