Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

THE MACHO MAN posted:

so I saw this on instagram and it looked fantastic, so I tried it out at home
https://www.instagram.com/p/CAqKGKMFyqG/?igshid=gpxz4b86fopz

Brined and twice fried the pork, melted it with mozz and a little homemade tonkatsu sauce, and served on challah bread with some Japanese curry

I will be laying down for a bit now

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

It's summer y'all. Snap beans, squash and onions sauteed in bacon grease, hoecake, fried green tomato.

Details here in The Southern Food Thread

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

large hands posted:

if you're going to make pizza at high heat, read Jeff Varasanos crazy pizza geocities style website. Ive read it a bunch but now i'm tired of hunting through the wall of text so here are the relevant parts:

Autolyse

Pour all the ingredients into the mixer, except just use 75% of the flour for now. So all of the water, salt, poolish (Video of Poolish), Instant dry Yeast (if used) and 75% of the flour are put into the mixer. Everything should be room temperature or a bit cooler.

Mix on lowest speed for 1-2 minutes or until completely blended. At this stage you should have a mix that is drier than a batter, but wetter than a dough. Closer to batter probably.

Cover and Let it rest for 20 minutes.

Wet Kneading

Start Mixing on Low speed for 8 minutes. 5 minutes into it start adding flour gradually.

After the first 6-8 minutes increase the speed of the mixer slightly.

Let it rest for 15-20 minutes. If you were to do a window pane test before the rest, you might be disappointed. Afterwards it will test well:

Pour out onto a floured surface and portion into balls with a scraper.

put the balls into very lightly oiled containers and rest in the fridge for 1-5 days

e: i use 200g balls for my 12" pies, which is a bit on the thinner side than the NY style that Jeff's weights would give you

I’ve been using this same recipe for a couple of years in a standard oven at 500F, I usually do 150g balls for a personal pizza size.

Resting the portioned dough in the refrigerator is key, don’t skip it! Makes it much easier to form and deal with

I’m surprised someone else took the time to read through the crazy guys webpage and transcribe a usable recipe, I give my copy to everyone I know so they too can make great pizza

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Safety Factor posted:

I burg'd

Lettuce, tomato, onion, mustard, bacon, cheese, and these little sweet pickled chilis since I can't find good jalapeños here. Used 1/2 lb of ground beef to make three smashed patties. Could've used more cheese and a non-grainy mustard (and spicier peppers, I should've used the raw thai chilis I have instead), but this was still a fine burger.

Segue
May 23, 2007

Decided to get rid of some leftovers: kala chana, masala potatoes, black kale, peanut chutney, and pita.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Khatti meethi tinda masala, aka apple gourd cooked with some spices and other stuff.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Cross-posting from the vegan thread because on further consideration I actually do want to toot my own horn, this was great:

How Wonderful! posted:

I don't want to toot my own horn but I think I'm getting good at making pretty-looking tofu:

I made a slight variation of this recipe (we're out of scallions and I forgot about the sesame seeds), my wife made the broccolini.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Looks fantastic to me and I never make veggie meals.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I made a veggie sando for dinner.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

BELT with Cherokee purple ‘mater from my yard

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

BELT with Cherokee purple ‘mater from my yard

Egg is an interesting addition. Looks great.

I made bulgogi! Tasty!

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

How Wonderful! posted:

Cross-posting from the vegan thread because on further consideration I actually do want to toot my own horn, this was great:

Oof. That look awesome and we have tofu in the house for the first time ever but I think I want to start on something simple.

I'm using quarantine as an excuse to cut back on meat a little more but I'm not sure exactly what to do with the tofu. Thought about pad Thai but peanuts are right out because our little one has an allergy.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Quiet Feet posted:

Oof. That look awesome and we have tofu in the house for the first time ever but I think I want to start on something simple.

I'm using quarantine as an excuse to cut back on meat a little more but I'm not sure exactly what to do with the tofu. Thought about pad Thai but peanuts are right out because our little one has an allergy.

I like Chris Morocco's tofu shawarma as a really easy but satisfying and photogenic recipe for people interested in playing around with tofu's texture. I also love his soy maple glazed tofu which I riff on a lot with different sauces and stuff when I just want a quick dinner. You can also make that one slightly healthier by baking the tofu first before basting it.

Another pretty easy and tasty thing to do is set up a quick flour/cornstarch->milk/vegan milk->seasoned panko production line, dredge some tofu chunks or strips in that, bake 'em, and then just toss them with buffalo sauce or bbq or whatever else for pretty satisfying wings, pictured here with some regular-rear end tub of dip in the background:

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

How Wonderful! posted:

I like Chris Morocco's tofu shawarma as a really easy but satisfying and photogenic recipe for people interested in playing around with tofu's texture. I also love his soy maple glazed tofu which I riff on a lot with different sauces and stuff when I just want a quick dinner. You can also make that one slightly healthier by baking the tofu first before basting it.

Another pretty easy and tasty thing to do is set up a quick flour/cornstarch->milk/vegan milk->seasoned panko production line, dredge some tofu chunks or strips in that, bake 'em, and then just toss them with buffalo sauce or bbq or whatever else for pretty satisfying wings, pictured here with some regular-rear end tub of dip in the background:

Maple one sounds right up my alley, thanks!

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Yaki tori in the Ooni:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Quiet Feet posted:

I love tofu! Some of my favorite recipes: bear's paw tofu, home style tofu (alternate recipe), breakfast tofu, salt and pepper tofu, steamed tofu spicy or not or spicy with mushrooms, tofu with black bean sauce (alternate recipe, another alternate), scrambled tofu, tofu soup with dipping sauce, braised tofu with mushrooms (alternate recipe), tofu salad (alternate recipe), fish fragrant tofu, ma po tofu (alternate recipe), kung pao tofu, teriyaki tofu, General Tso's tofu, tofu with avocado, hot and sour tofu... that's just a few. There are so many more!

mystes
May 31, 2006

toplitzin posted:

Use the thrillist recipe for the white sauce.

https://www.thrillist.com/recipe/new-york/halal-white-sauce-thrillist-recipes

The red sauce is usually hot sauce/harissa.
So I actually made this today, and it sort of seems like the recipe forgot to say to add sugar, but once I added some it did taste very close to the Halal Guys sauce.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

mystes posted:

So I actually made this today, and it sort of seems like the recipe forgot to say to add sugar, but once I added some it did taste very close to the Halal Guys sauce.

Sugar is very often the "something missing" in sauces.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Resting Lich Face posted:

Sugar is very often the "something missing" in sauces.

yeah it turns up in tiny bits in a lot of savory things

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yup. A little bit of it is a flavor enhancer like salt or MSG. Valuable lesson I learned during my time of going "why is there SUGAR in this??? no way gently caress off" and making all kinds of food that fell flat.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Dumped tonight

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Steak and potatoes

dinahmoe
Sep 13, 2007

ignore. Photo did not attach.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

I'm kind of pissed off today but I've done my ranting elsewhere and I'm just going to drop falafel here. This is my first ever attempt at making it. Shaping it was awkward. They're bigger than they strictly need to be, but eh. It felt very crumbly and I was afraid it was going to break apart, but thankfully the patties held long enough to fry.

Falafel frying!

Falafel plates!

With some garlic naan and a little salad of spinach, arugula, tomato, cucumber, carrot and tahini sauce. The sauce was also homemade and I wasn't sure how I felt about it at first. It's been a very long time since I've had falafel and wasn't entirely sure how accurate I'd gotten either that or the tahini. All in all it was very tasty. Something about it left me craving fried chicken. I think it's the spices. The recipe I used had a lot more black pepper than I would have expected so it has a little more bite to it than I remember from falafels past. Had to improvise a touch on the spices as well since I ran out of cilantro, making up the difference with our very abundant supply of fresh oregano. I'd love to make this again but that'll have to wait until we get more chickpeas and sesame seeds.

Edit: daughter didnt like the tahini so she had hers with an apple cider vinaigrette. I didnt try any but I'm curious how that holds up. Feels like it would work though I wouldn't automatically trust it because she's an adventerous eater with weird tastes.

Quiet Feet fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 2, 2020

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

toplitzin posted:

Dumped tonight

Goondolances.

Looks wonderful.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Cabbage parathas (flatbreads stuffed with cabbage)

Turmeric rice:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

It's dinner, but breakfast.

Or is it breakfast, but dinner?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Obviously it's brinner.

Some great plates on this page and I am regretting my choice to read this whilst waiting for dinner to cook because now I want all of it.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

toplitzin posted:

It's dinner, but breakfast.

Or is it breakfast, but dinner?

Since this is halfway between dinner and breakfast, it's clearly lunch.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

BA's one skillet steak and spring vegetables and spicy mustard. Delicious and so easy. Will certainly do this again.. maybe I'll add shredded brussels sprouts too it'd be tasty.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/one-skillet-steak-and-spring-veg-with-spicy-mustard

Resting Lich Face fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jun 5, 2020

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Carbonara

I was a bit unhappy with this - there was a kind of sour? coppery/metallic taste on the front of the tongue. Not sure what would cause that.

Burg, Onion Rings, Fries

Many many attempts and I still am not getting my fries exactly right. Once, a million moons ago I did. These tasted great but were a little soggy/oily. Oh well, keep trying.

At least my buns are A++

slothrop fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jun 5, 2020

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Aloo Phulkopir Chorchori

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

slothrop posted:

Many many attempts and I still am not getting my fries exactly right. Once, a million moons ao I did. These tasted great but we're a little soggy/oily. Oh well, keep trying.

Bun looks on point. Fries aren’t all that difficult, if you’ve committed to having a pan of boiling oil in your kitchen, you’ve done the hard part.

Large potatoes, cut evenly into fries. Idahos, or something similar are fine. Key word, evenly. Cut them into a bowl of cold water so they don’t brown.

Bring a large pan of water to the boil, add a few teaspoons of salt and half a teaspoon of baking soda, and parboil the fries in small batches for a minute or so. Drain and let cool on some towel. Small batches, make sure the water is hot when the spuds go in. (acidity is an enemy to the chemical reaction that causes browning, soda mitigates this somewhat)

Get a large pan of neutral oil, peanut for preference and blanch the fries in it. You’re aiming to maintain a temperature of about 260F for about 7 minutes. Small batches. You don’t want them to colour at this point, but cook through gently. Drain them on a wire rack.

Bring the oil temperature up to 360-370 when you’re ready to eat the fries, and cook them again in small batches until they look right. Don’t let the temperature get over 375.

A lot of people are unaware of the thermal lag effect, so although it seems fiddly, cooking small batches and making sure the oil comes back up to temperature for every batch is key.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Torquemada posted:

Bun looks on point. Fries aren’t all that difficult, if you’ve committed to having a pan of boiling oil in your kitchen, you’ve done the hard part.

Large potatoes, cut evenly into fries. Idahos, or something similar are fine. Key word, evenly. Cut them into a bowl of cold water so they don’t brown.

Bring a large pan of water to the boil, add a few teaspoons of salt and half a teaspoon of baking soda, and parboil the fries in small batches for a minute or so. Drain and let cool on some towel. Small batches, make sure the water is hot when the spuds go in. (acidity is an enemy to the chemical reaction that causes browning, soda mitigates this somewhat)

Get a large pan of neutral oil, peanut for preference and blanch the fries in it. You’re aiming to maintain a temperature of about 260F for about 7 minutes. Small batches. You don’t want them to colour at this point, but cook through gently. Drain them on a wire rack.

Bring the oil temperature up to 360-370 when you’re ready to eat the fries, and cook them again in small batches until they look right. Don’t let the temperature get over 375.

A lot of people are unaware of the thermal lag effect, so although it seems fiddly, cooking small batches and making sure the oil comes back up to temperature for every batch is key.

Thanks for the tips, I'll try to apply them next time and report back!

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Do not skimp on the low temp first fry. It is the key despite looking like something you could omit without issue.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Some things I've made the past few weeks.

Bison mapo

Three pepper chicken

Mongolian chicken with miso-glazed veggies

Pad see ew with kale

Sichuan peppercorn tuna

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
I should have chopped the veg and the chicken into finer bits, but I made Nasi Goreng

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
It was a cacio e pepe sort of night.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Onion parathas and cabbage parathas. Some more info in the Indian food thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
kung pao chicken