Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

• Light
  • Light
  • Nature

MonsterEnvy posted:

I like Goremand more. Cause it actually works as a clever translation of his name.
:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I think wound magic is what's dropping Angela's HP. Or that the AI can't dodge. Probably both.

Anyways, you might have noticed the purple shields during boss fights. Simply put, those need to be broken or the boss goes to town on you. As it happened on Dangaard.

Those shields don't exactly have a life bar. They take fixed damage that depends on the attack, so a long combo is good, class strikes level 2+ will destroy them from full health, and magic only does chip damage, no matter the caster or the elemental advantage.

Always prioritize breaking the purple shields.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The ninjas can do a lot of damage if left alone, but they're vulnerable to knockdown so you can keep them stunlocked, so I rarely had too much trouble with them in this version of the game. I had a lot more trouble with enemies in the Earth dungeon.

One thing I didn't notice until embarrassingly late in the game; you can press the X button in the item ring menu to fully heal using the item you have selected, or the Y button to heal until you'd be overhealing if you used another item, and it'll affect all characters. It's good for post-battle top-ups. I'm playing on the Switch version, so it might be different buttons on the Steam version though.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Ye gods, the party AI outright refusing to jump over Dangaard's attacks game me PTSD flashbacks to FFXV's similarly horrible party AI.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Yeah, you're going through healing items stupidly fast, which is exactly why I don't use Wound Magic. Especially since, thanks to the game's reluctance to drop Angela's ultimate helmet for me, I wound up higher level than nearly every enemy in the entire game, and would thus do more damage to myself than the enemies do if I equipped it.

Anyway, Dangaard is rough, true, but he wasn't the one who killed me (though I have loaded a few times to end fights when it became clear I was losing because why bother continuing when the outcome's clear?). I'll say who and how when the video for it is posted.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Yeah, Xan Bie was rough for me too. At least until I showed up with a level 60 team with their second class changes; that kinda takes the challenge out of the Benevodons. That said, it still wasn't the one that managed to kill me.

In other news, I beat the bonus boss today. Being level 80 certainly helped on that front (those seeds really didn't want to give me Angela's helmet). As for rewards... well, I won't spoil it in case Nat wants to fight it, but I've been trying (very unsuccessfully) not to cackle at just how ludicrously overpowered the ability it gave me is.

I also beat the Dragon Lord, but that's not too surprising.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The Magus outfit is very horny

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I feel you need to use Class Strikes more for your allies. There is never a shame in swapping.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

That 90's Battle Bikini a e s t h e t i c. *mwah*

(And, oh, dear, I should not be lusting after the Dark/Whatever Duran's either, I'm old enough to be his mother!)

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Riesz has some outfits just as horny. I'm just glad that Charlotte always wears decent clothes.

At least there's a kind of balance, Duran and Kevin also have some pretty revealing outfits.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Been taking care of some things to get as close to 100% as I can (I missed a couple things) before my next run. One of those things, incidentally, was grinding my team to level 99, because level 80 apparently isn't overpowered enough. Incidentally, Dark-Light Angela is pretty drat good for grinding as long as you can keep her MP up, since she learns an instant death spell.

Also, since I don't have anything I need to use seeds for anymore, I've accumulated a rather large collection of them; I've even capped both Gold and ??? seeds. Similarly, my team has been nagging me to go shopping because there is nothing left to spend money on (I have literally every buyable piece of equipment in the game, and my consumables are capped too) and I am thus a millionaire.

I'll hold off on saying more until it becomes relevant; just figured I should mention that I was about to restart. Question is, should I go with Angela to get the Dragon Lord route out of the way (if I do this, #3 will probably be Hawkeye), or start a different team for variety?

After using Charlotte for an entire playthrough, I'll say that the only character I'm not likely to enjoy is, rather contrarily, Riesz; I always found her boring, and her voice acting in the remake just makes her worse in my eyes.

Of course, Duran's the only character I have no plans on using as a leader in future runs, for obvious reasons. I'll try to get around to playing as everyone at least once, but, as mentioned, I have no expectation of enjoying my Riesz run (or, to a lesser extent, my Hawkeye run, because paired characters).

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Episode 29

Art will be up shortly!

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
On the topic of bloodthirsty Angela: One of her win quotes is "That was EXHILARATING!" so there's some evidence of that actually being true.

Anyway, I kept promising to tell which Benevodon managed to kill me and how, and it's time to deliver: If you don't destroy that moon Dolan summons, it reduces your entire party to single-digit HP. He followed up with an attack that hits the entire arena while I was lying on the ground from that (that Pummel thing that he died before actually using in this video launches a wall-to-wall shockwave that sweeps the arena). Kind of a cheap shot, really; it took me about a day to calm down afterwards, and I've already mentioned how I overcompensated when I started playing again.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
It's weird how some of the difficulty was revamped for this one. Kevin's endgame class techniques like what those werewolves were using were unavoidable and could make your life a living hell, but here, they have a limited AOE range. On the other hand, the bosses are definitely different as opposed to the original and certainly harder, sometimes artificially for the latter, since some of the attacks can definitely be avoided, but the party AI looks straight up godawful here so that makes it the limited AOE range superfluous. By contrast, given Dolan's gimmick for this one, he's absolutely easier here, as opposed to the original where he was straight up one of the harder bosses.

Also tilting my head at some of the gratuitous foreign language localization here (Succube instead of Succubus). Squeenix is sometimes a lot like Working Designs, in that they have technically competent translations that usually outclass the competition, but tend to be pretentious or outright subvert the original meaning. I know Duran's Swordmaster class was rendered as Edelfrei for the Collection translation, and I imagine it's the same here.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

CptWedgie posted:

Anyway, I kept promising to tell which Benevodon managed to kill me and how, and it's time to deliver: If you don't destroy that moon Dolan summons, it reduces your entire party to single-digit HP.

:catstare: I killed him before he ever used that.

Controlling Angela and spamming Lucent Beam+ solves a lot of problems. Both Hawkeye and Angela are so much better when controlled because the AI casts glacially slow otherwise.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Shitenshi posted:

I know Duran's Swordmaster class was rendered as Edelfrei for the Collection translation, and I imagine it's the same here.

Yup, he's an Edelfrei here too.

Kyrosiris posted:

:catstare: I killed him before he ever used that.

Controlling Angela and spamming Lucent Beam+ solves a lot of problems. Both Hawkeye and Angela are so much better when controlled because the AI casts glacially slow otherwise.

I have no idea why, but for some reason it seemed to charge up a lot faster the time it actually worked on me, and I was halfway across the arena at the time so I couldn't attack it until it was already like half-charged (and before anyone says anything about class strikes: Duran had already used his entire gauge, and I can't micromanage well enough to swap characters on the fly). Only explanation I can come up with is the charge-up super-moves charging up faster when the boss is at lower HP.

Incidentally, Dark Angela doesn't learn Lucent Beam at all, so your solution is completely irrelevant to me aside from the fact that I've already beaten the game. That said, her casting habits are bad in other ways, too; aside from how she doesn't cast enough, her choice of spells is sometimes suboptimal. I mean, she's pretty good at targeting weaknesses, but if she's got a guaranteed one-hit-kill spell she should be spamming that on everything it works on, right?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I mean you can sub out LB+ for whatever AoE tier 2 spell you have access to and it should be comparable-ish. One of her dark class 3s gets access to AoE tier 2s, right?

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Kyrosiris posted:

I mean you can sub out LB+ for whatever AoE tier 2 spell you have access to and it should be comparable-ish. One of her dark class 3s gets access to AoE tier 2s, right?

Something else I neglected to mention: I had NOBODY at class 3 at the time. I'd already decided to go Dark-Light for everyone, and I only had Dark-Dark items. Which doesn't completely excuse me, I'm sure, but at least means your "AoE tier 2 spell" thing wasn't a consideration either.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Most bosses with super attacks in the ToM remake charge them faster and/or create more objects you have to destroy in order to stop them from using their attacks.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Especially as their health goes down. I never had a problem with the Dolan fight but I had issues with another instance of this attack.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Folt The Bolt posted:

Most bosses with super attacks in the ToM remake charge them faster and/or create more objects you have to destroy in order to stop them from using their attacks.

That does explain why I had the Crimson Wizard spawn I think 8 to 9 breakables in the final part of my fight with him.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Dolan is charging the attack faster here clearly.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Started my second run. Decided to go with Angela - Duran - Hawkeye for my team. Progress is significantly faster than the first one, for... reasons. Reasons which can wait until Nat finishes the LP.

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.
Been following along with this LP, I ended up with rogue, grand deviner and dragon master... They've really changed class balances in this remake. Dragon master used to be a total non starter as a class but honestly it almost seems better than Fenris knight now (oh but Fenris knight's outfit is way better) thanks to cs bonuses with stat down spells and better stats. Grand deviner is disgustingly good, spamming level 2 spells just destroys everything. Rogue is a good split of melee and trap damage, though I was kind of tempted to play a nomad for the aura buffs.

I've done zero grinding and haven't wiped once, though definitely came close a couple times with Xan Bie who was my first God Beast.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Xan Bie is probably the hardest Benevodon, because he's the one that is the best at actually preventing you from breaking his blue breakables when charging a super attack. I know that speedruns actually kill it first or close to first just because the Benevodons get more hp as you kill more of them, and they want that fight to be over as soon as possible.

They definitely tried to balance out what the classes get better in this version compared to the original, but I'm not sure the balance is necessarily "better." Notably, all Kevin classes and Dark Duran classes get chance to lower defense on crit, and Riesz gets chance to lower magic on crit, which sort of makes all Dark Reisz and dark Hawkeye classes much worse than in the original. Also, there's still not really any reason to want to be Rune Seer for the highest tier of elemental magic, because Ancient is just so much better than every other damage spell in the game. Arguably there's not much reason to be any Angela class but Magus at all, though Grand Diviner has plenty of mana generation which is nice.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
So light spoiler, the Boss after this is going to be the Benevodon of Light which gives us two left!

If you could vote on which of the Ice and Earth Benevedons you'd rather I see first then I would be grateful!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Natural 20 posted:

So light spoiler, the Boss after this is going to be the Benevodon of Light which gives us two left!

If you could vote on which of the Ice and Earth Benevedons you'd rather I see first then I would be grateful!

Earth

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Oh on a note of the ??? Seeds, from what I understand the result of a seed is determined the moment you actually get the seed, and it's the first 6 seeds from dungeon chests will always be the 6 for unique class changes you can use. However, if you get any drops from random monsters, they are actually randomized, which is why some people are seeing duplicates while others are seeing all unique ones.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

Ultima66 posted:

Oh on a note of the ??? Seeds, from what I understand the result of a seed is determined the moment you actually get the seed, and it's the first 6 seeds from dungeon chests will always be the 6 for unique class changes you can use. However, if you get any drops from random monsters, they are actually randomized, which is why some people are seeing duplicates while others are seeing all unique ones.

You also need to get the first six before you do any class changing, otherwise you loose the "no dupes" clause.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

From what I've heard (and this matches my experience at least), the game won't give you dupes of a class change item you have in your inventory until you have one of every item for each character you're using. Class changing Hawkeye and Angela before Riesz was actually kind of shooting yourself in the foot.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Commander Keene posted:

From what I've heard (and this matches my experience at least), the game won't give you dupes of a class change item you have in your inventory until you have one of every item for each character you're using. Class changing Hawkeye and Angela before Riesz was actually kind of shooting yourself in the foot.

This was not correct in any of my four playthroughs so far, so...

They're RNG. It's dumb and it sucks, but all these mystical claims about "oh well if you do exactly this you get no dupes" are the Mew under the truck of TYOOL 2020.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Kyrosiris posted:

This was not correct in any of my four playthroughs so far, so...

They're RNG. It's dumb and it sucks, but all these mystical claims about "oh well if you do exactly this you get no dupes" are the Mew under the truck of TYOOL 2020.

On the other hand, in two playthroughs I got exactly 6 unique class items out of 6 seeds, twice. There has to be some form of rng protection, although without looking at the source code I have no clue how it works.

Best hypothesis I heard is that only the 6 ??? seeds from the 6 dungeon chests get this rng protection.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Spoilers for the next episode.

But that is definitely not true. The only ??? seeds I got were from chests and I got a repeat on Magus.

So unless it's something as crazy as ??? seeds from Boss chests that haven't been used for class changes yet then it's probably just RNG.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Natural 20 posted:

Spoilers for the next episode.

But that is definitely not true. The only ??? seeds I got were from chests and I got a repeat on Magus.

So unless it's something as crazy as ??? seeds from Boss chests that haven't been used for class changes yet then it's probably just RNG.

The chance of getting 6 different items out of 6 seeds is about 1.5%. Twice in a row it's something stupid low like 0.025%. I could be an outlier (random is random and anecdote != data), but the thread in games has other people getting no dupes.

My full hypothesis:
_only the 6 chest seeds have rng protection;
_the protection checks current items and current seeds, but it doesn't check if a character is in a third tier class;

_thus, promoting people before having the three items you want may screw you over.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

I farmed 4 seeds from mobs then grabbed 2 seeds from chests.

Opened all 6 at once and got 1 of each class item.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

akkristor posted:

I farmed 4 seeds from mobs then grabbed 2 seeds from chests.

Opened all 6 at once and got 1 of each class item.

:same: on my first run (albeit with the numbers reversed). Granted, my second isn't far enough for that to be a consideration yet; I just finished Beuca before getting too tired to play, and I haven't had a chance to start it up yet today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.