Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outlaw Mailman
Jul 1, 2007
Two kinds of crazy
That's out of left field, I wasn't even sure if that track still existed. Hopefully it's a placeholder date the fairgrounds can take over, lol yeah right this is NASCAR, we can't have fun things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So Dover Spring date is the rumor right?

Why it can't be one of the lame mile and a halfers...

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 15 days!)

Dover owns Nashville SS, that's why. It's the same way SMI tracks will switch dates all the time.

edit: Dover Downs Motorsports Inc or whatever the gently caress, they own Gateway and Memphis too

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
ah yes, when I hear "superspeedway", I think of a dinky rear end 1.33 mile oval

cool track I guess idk I like races at new/different venues

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

oh Dover Downs sold Memphis and Gateway so they literally just own Dover and Nashville SS. Whatever the point is: gently caress nascar and gently caress dover

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

"Which mothballed track should rise from the dead and return the Cup schedule? North Wilkesboro? Rockingham?"

"Nah, let's go to that lame rear end cookie cutter in Nashville."

"YEAH! Everybody loves Nashville!"

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

CBJSprague24 posted:

"Which mothballed track should rise from the dead and return the Cup schedule? North Wilkesboro? Rockingham?"

"Nah, let's go to that lame rear end cookie cutter in Nashville."

"YEAH! Everybody loves Nashville!"

no no, not the one everybody loves, the lovely one in lebanon that hosted like 3 truck races

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Interesting Moments at Nashville Superspeedway: An Animated History:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKhIybAhEFQ

Peanut President posted:

no no, not the one everybody loves, the lovely one in lebanon that hosted like 3 truck races

"Oh, so not the high-banked short track which still hosted races like last year and probably could be easily made ready?"

"No, the cookie cutter which hasn't held a race in nine years and is concrete for reasons."

Outlaw Mailman posted:

That's out of left field, I wasn't even sure if that track still existed. Hopefully it's a placeholder date the fairgrounds can take over, lol yeah right this is NASCAR, we can't have fun things.

Marcus Smith indicated the Fairgrounds are still in play but it's the dickering over the MLS stadium which has fouled it up. That said, the other track gets a four-year deal, so I'm not getting my hopes up (unless they're still hoping to run like a Wednesday night show there which would be siiiiiiiiiiiick).

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Yeah I couldn't give a gently caress about NASCAR going there and would be much more inclined to watch them race at the fairgrounds, but hey at least it's one racetrack coming back to life, and hopefully paves the way for an Indycar return too.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

does texas still have 2 dates? 1 is far too many for that track.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
Going to Nashville is obviously for cross-promotion with the country music business and not any qualities of the track. Jr has implied as much.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

CBJSprague24 posted:

Interesting Moments at Nashville Superspeedway: An Animated History:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKhIybAhEFQ

That abomination of a PowerPoint slideshow is about as "animated" as the Nashville track is exciting. It's like watching an old Clutch Cargo cartoon, sans the creepy lips and with slightly less racism.

Edit: Here's a better version, if you want to see the only interesting thing to happen at the Nashville Superspeedway at a frame rate that can be measured in frames per second instead of seconds per frame...

dennyk fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 4, 2020

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

dennyk posted:

That abomination of a PowerPoint slideshow is about as "animated" as the Nashville track is exciting. It's like watching an old Clutch Cargo cartoon, sans the creepy lips and with slightly less racism.

Edit: Here's a better version, if you want to see the only interesting thing to happen at the Nashville Superspeedway at a frame rate that can be measured in frames per second instead of seconds per frame...

Man, I remember when that was the only way to watch NASCAR clips on the internet.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
So this is thing:

https://www.destructoid.com/unreleased-days-of-thunder-nes-game-recovered-after-30-years-593051.phtml

A year before Days of Thunder came out on the NES, there was another version of it in development that was nearly complete but never known about until it was recently uncovered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63G9PrLLo_U

Neat!

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

CBJSprague24 posted:

Man, I remember when that was the only way to watch NASCAR clips on the internet.

Ah yes, the *(...buffering...buffering...buffering...)* good ol' days of watching *(...buffering...buffering...buffering...)* 144p RealPlayer highlight *(...buffering...buffering...buffering...)* clips on *(...buffering...buffering...buffering...)* NASCAR.com!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

WindyMan posted:

So this is thing:

https://www.destructoid.com/unreleased-days-of-thunder-nes-game-recovered-after-30-years-593051.phtml

A year before Days of Thunder came out on the NES, there was another version of it in development that was nearly complete but never known about until it was recently uncovered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63G9PrLLo_U

Neat!

This game foretold of the single lug on stock cars.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

CBJSprague24 posted:

This game foretold of the single lug on stock cars.

NASCAR still has a ways to catch up to this guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sypVwLKrFmU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

hunnert car pileup posted:

NASCAR still has a ways to catch up to this guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sypVwLKrFmU

Super Dave gently caress yeah

and Riverside gently caress yeah

Dumb Username
Oct 20, 2012
The best review of Day of Thunder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leQPFLjwgNg

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

dennyk posted:

Ah yes, the *(...buffering...buffering...buffering...)* good ol' days of watching *(...buffering...buffering...buffering...)* 144p RealPlayer highlight *(...buffering...buffering...buffering...)* clips on *(...buffering...buffering...buffering...)* NASCAR.com!

Ah, the halcyon days of 2016 nascar.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Well, this first segment in the return to racing has had some pretty good tracks. I hope everybody enjoys it because, well, here's what's next:

quote:

Pocono Raceway:
Saturday, June 27 at 3:30 p.m. ET (FOX/MRN/SiriusXM)
Sunday, June 28 at 4 p.m. ET (FS1/MRN/SiriusXM)

Indianapolis Motor Speedway:
Sunday, July 5 at 4 p.m. ET (NBC/MRN/SiriusXM)

Kentucky Speedway:
Sunday, July 11 at 2:30 p.m. ET (FS1/PRN/SiriusXM)

Charlotte Motor Speedway (All-Star):
Wednesday July 15 at 8:30 p.m. ET (FS1/PRN/SiriusXM)

Texas Motor Speedway:
Sunday, July 19 at 3 p.m. ET (NBCSN/PRN/SiriusXM)

Kansas Speedway:
Thursday, July 23 at 7:30 p.m. ET (NBCSN/MRN/SiriusXM)

New Hampshire Motor Speedway:
Sunday, Aug. 2 at 3 p.m. ET (NBCSN/PRN/SiriusXM)

I'm glad NASCAR gave up on its Fourth of July tradition in a year in which the race would have landed on the 4th for a Sunday afternoon race that starts at 4 goddamn pm.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jun 6, 2020

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

oof, what a stretch

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Texas in July is hell on earth. What the gently caress are they thinking

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
I'm surprised they are bothering with the All Star race. Seems silly to waste time on a non-points race when who knows what'll happen in the future. Aren't people still predicting an uptick and possibly another quarantine situation this fall?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Peanut President posted:

Texas in July is hell on earth. What the gently caress are they thinking

Arby's

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
they have the meats

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Cool just run the loving worst tracks. Bring back Riverside or burn down every Applebee's, Namaste.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Should run the old riverside layout on current riverside.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

The Croc posted:

Should run the old riverside layout on current riverside.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Nice, the dinger winning on an oval.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

Hell yeah Dinger!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

CBJSprague24 posted:

Well, this first segment in the return to racing has had some pretty good tracks. I hope everybody enjoys it because, well, here's what's next:

I'm glad NASCAR gave up on its Fourth of July tradition in a year in which the race would have landed on the 4th for a Sunday afternoon race that starts at 4 goddamn pm.

drat that's a crazy schedule... Getting all the bad tracks out of the way in case they can have fans at some races in the fall...

But drat, that July 11-23rd stretch is pretty crazy... 4 different tracks in 4 entirely different locations in 12 days... plus these are going to be a lot of hot as gently caress races in a row for the drivers, pit crews and the cars to deal with.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

I actually like Pocono :saddowns:

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Pocono is good in person and dreadful on tv. Especially with stages now turning it into a road race strategy wise.

I wish stages would go away. It’s pretty much eliminated green flag pit stops.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

Ungratek posted:

Pocono is good in person and dreadful on tv. Especially with stages now turning it into a road race strategy wise.

We've had some decent Pocono races in recent history haven't we? Or am I just thinking of all the rain shortened ones that end at like the 350 mile mark and everybody is going for it?

I agree with getting rid of stages. It has all but taken pit strategy out of it. Every stage, if it runs full green, is basically a 1 stop run on either fuel, tires or both. So every team basically goes to the halfway point, or the second the pit window opens, and pits. The only strategy is what the 2 car usually does, run until they can't anymore hoping for a caution. When you know there is a caution coming in 40 laps it just makes everything so much easier.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Ungratek posted:

Better idea: Keep stages for points-paying purposes. Eliminate the known caution, stage break, and restart.

Strategy would become a lot more interesting in the early parts of the race.

And it'd bring back the Gatorade $10k halfway bonus vibe, but at two points during the race.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

WindyMan posted:

Better idea: Keep stages for points-paying purposes. Eliminate the known caution, stage break, and restart.

And it'd bring back the Gatorade $10k halfway bonus vibe, but at two points during the race.

Yeah this would be tight. I think the point bonus makes for a more accurate picture of who's doing well during the season as well

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

WindyMan posted:

This is good but for it to work nascar couldn't go back to phantom debris cautions to get restarts.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Nascar related social media is gonna manage to be like 9 times as toxic as normal after today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

big nipples big life posted:

This is good but for it to work nascar couldn't go back to phantom debris cautions to get restarts.

NASCAR needs restarts now to force close action when everyone is on the same strategy, nearly the same equipment.

If you have different chunks of the field doing different strategies for different reasons at different points of the race, at least up until halfway or so, close action happens more naturally thereby eliminating most of the need for it.