Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Nebrilos posted:

I was thinking a bit about Saitama. Forgive me if these thoughts aren't original. His reason for his training was that he wanted to be "a hero as a hobby". To enable this "hobby," he trained for three years, not taking even a single break, to the extent that he lost all of his hair and his body underwent a number of horrifying changes. I'm not saying that people this dedicated don't exist, such as Olympic athletes, but they make what they are dedicated to their life's work, not just a "hobby". Why is Saitama so obsessed about a "hobby," and why does he consider it a "hobby" and not "his purpose in life" or somesuch?

Were heroism his life's purpose, then there'd be a right way and a wrong way to do it. He'd always strive to be the "best" hero he can, which would mean things like not getting in screaming matches with other heroes, not picking his nose in public, having a winning smile and a cool catch phrase. Saitama's strength comes from his rejection of limitations like those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

RatHat posted:

Aside from the leaders who instantly died they seem to be doing pretty good. They just lack top tier heroes to take on Dragon level threats.

They have metal bat working with them. He's capable of fighting dragon tier.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Saitama taking on the important issues in 128: https://mangadex.org/chapter/912645/1

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

pik_d posted:

Saitama taking on the important issues in 128: https://mangadex.org/chapter/912645/1

I like how a new chapter is coming out every 4 hours

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Whooping Crabs posted:

They were released as a batch of 3, the translation was just catching up.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Whooping Crabs posted:

One puts them out in batches it seems, they get translated over the next day-ish. Last time it was a batch of 4 from One and the translations whenever each one got finished.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Things are really kicking off now. This is great.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I gotta agree with Child Emperor, it really looks like the evil doctor is gearing up to take over the world or something. Blue is totally a robot.

This is also an insane amount of monster attacks they're dealing with. The monster threat increasing was always part of the story, but over a dozen in a few hours, including 5 level Dragon ones...

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

MorningMoon posted:

This is also an insane amount of monster attacks they're dealing with. The monster threat increasing was always part of the story, but over a dozen in a few hours, including 5 level Dragon ones...

Yeah, it sure is interesting how many monsters are suddenly appearing around all these Neo-heroes and cameras. Surely there's nothing shady going on behind the scenes.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Do you think about the person when you name someone "Caped Baldy?!"

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
there was a lot of people talking about their cool new suits that seemed like necessary but boring set up. then tanktop master put on a tight tank top to get stronger and things were good again

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

:lol: Extended Family of Darkness

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Big Leg posted:

there was a lot of people talking about their cool new suits that seemed like necessary but boring set up. then tanktop master put on a tight tank top to get stronger and things were good again

Pretty sure those are the new versions of the suits that Sonic and Saitama busted up waaaay back when. The question is did Drive Knight steal it from Metal Knight or the other way around.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

The junk collector posted:

Pretty sure those are the new versions of the suits that Sonic and Saitama busted up waaaay back when. The question is did Drive Knight steal it from Metal Knight or the other way around.

Those suits are definitely the Organization's work. However, Metal Knight is also highly likely to be opposing the Organization, given the poo poo talking Drive Knight does. Child Emperor thinking the suits are Metal Knight's work I feel is a red herring.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Big Leg posted:

I love that the drawback to the power enhancing tight tanktop is making it hard to breathe, and yet he put it on to fight the chain smoking monster filling the air with toxic gas. This can only end well and will definitely not destroy tanktop master.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Nebrilos posted:

I was thinking a bit about Saitama. Forgive me if these thoughts aren't original. His reason for his training was that he wanted to be "a hero as a hobby". To enable this "hobby," he trained for three years, not taking even a single break, to the extent that he lost all of his hair and his body underwent a number of horrifying changes. I'm not saying that people this dedicated don't exist, such as Olympic athletes, but they make what they are dedicated to their life's work, not just a "hobby". Why is Saitama so obsessed about a "hobby," and why does he consider it a "hobby" and not "his purpose in life" or somesuch?

Harry Darger wrote a gigantic novel and spent his entire life doing it but id say it was a hobby for him.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nebrilos posted:

I like overthinking things and even I think you're way overthinking that. It's not really surprising that some people will put a lot more work into their hobbies than their jobs considering how many people hate their jobs and also a hobby is almost always (or at least it should be) something that you choose that gives you enjoyment.

Also even in the context of the manga Saitama's workout is a joke. Everyone points out it wasn't even particularly tough. Workout enthusiasts exist by the thousands in the real world, a lot of which just take it as a very diligent hobby.

I mean, seriously, how many... people do you know that would consider either their hobby or their work as their "purpose in life"? I mean, I'm obsessed with haircare but I certainly wouldn't call it my purpose in life.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Nebrilos posted:

Calling something "your purpose in life" means taking a great deal of pride and investing one's sense of self in that thing.

Saitama doesn't. He's just a hero as a hobby.

Arguably one could read that as him transcending the idea of taking pride in being a hero, much in the same way he's transcended the idea of strength. Insofar as he's forever The Strongest, so where does he go from here?

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

gnome7 posted:

I love that the drawback to the power enhancing tight tanktop is making it hard to breathe, and yet he put it on to fight the chain smoking monster filling the air with toxic gas. This can only end well and will definitely not destroy tanktop master.

as if TTM can take out a dragon to begin with

(you can do it TTM i believe in the you that believes in the tanktop)

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

bacon flaps posted:

as if TTM can take out a dragon to begin with

(you can do it TTM i believe in the you that believes in the tanktop)

agreed with the parenthetical. also i can't wait to see tanktop master go through like 6 progressively tighter tanktops over a 200 page battle in the redraw 5 years from now.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

gnome7 posted:

Can't breathe in poisonous smoke if you can't breathe at all.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Thread posted:

Onepunch-man by ONE - I may destroy the earth if this day gets any shittier

Kind of unrelated, but does anyone know how ONE, the author's name, is pronounced? I've always wondered. Is it WUN or OH-NE ?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'd be willing to bet that the name of the dude who wrote ONE punch man and ONE hundred mob psycho is just referring to the English word one.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
E: Wrong thread!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
More chapters retconned in the Murata version. Do you think they contribute much to Child Emperor's parting with the Hero Association?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

More chapters retconned in the Murata version. Do you think they contribute much to Child Emperor's parting with the Hero Association?

They almost do the opposite with him having genuine comradery with Zombieman.

But at the very least, we're totally going to have Phoenixman in the doghouse with Rover, Black Sperm, and Manaco.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mraagvpeine posted:

Not really? Child Emperor quite plainly had a lot of concerns with the HA in the webcomic version.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah this is the first change I outright disagree with.
Its not a surprise when Child emperor leaves the HA because hes been shown time and again to be overworked, and has issues with the HA admin

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Yeah, it always made sense to me on the ONE side. Child Emperor is the only S-rank hero who acts like an adult. It's funny because he's a child. Ha ha.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Nebrilos posted:

His workout is like 2 hours a day max, it's a hobby

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Terror Sweat posted:

His workout is like 2 hours a day max, it's a hobby

Does he still have to workout like this to maintain his god-like invincibility, or is it like flicking a switch and now he's locked into this state permanently?

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Bucswabe posted:

Does he still have to workout like this to maintain his god-like invincibility, or is it like flicking a switch and now he's locked into this state permanently?

I mean, it probably only takes 2 seconds to do it at an easy pace every day at this point so I'm sure he doesn't take breaks or use AC still.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

it would be pretty funny if climate control ended up being his kryptonite

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Bucswabe posted:

we don't know if he has to. the rules to Saitamas power are a sublime mystery and knowing them won't improve the comic

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bucswabe posted:

He broke his limiter, which means it's not just a temporary condition.

That said, from his talk in one of the audio dramas, it seems like keeping up his routine makes him even stronger every day.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

I wonder if Saitama could punch Zombieman so hard he couldn't regenerate from it.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

graham cracker posted:

I wonder if Saitama could punch Zombieman so hard he couldn't regenerate from it.

I assume there's a limit to his regeneration.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

graham cracker posted:

Boros could regenerate from being pummeled into basically scattered scraps of tissue, and Saitama had no problems punching him to death.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Wasn’t there a question out to ONE about Saitamas power level and the answer was phrased along the lines of “Saitama would need two punches to destroy the universe. One for the bit in front of him, and then he would need to turn around to finish off the rest.” I feel like I remember reading that somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I remember that as well.