Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your favorite returning character?
Kane
General Carville
Premier Romanov
Jobbo Fett
View Results

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Even back when I first played this mission I remember being suspicious about why they just give you a free MCV at the start. You soon find out why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Broken Box posted:

i can't believe general carville is loving dead

Crazy Ivans can't melt steel Carvilles.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
I can't believe Kane Carville is loving dead.

Dale-Taco
Feb 19, 2009

Nobody here but us trees.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Ahh this mission. Never thought to use engineer loaded IFVs, I always just spammed a ton of Rocketeers from 2-3 Barracks and sent the flock(swarm, murder?) of em out as soon as my money ran out to snipe the Soviet Con. Yards one after the other, before using a combination of the surviving Rocketeers and a mix of Grizzly and Mirage Tanks to finish off any key buildings left. But based on the super short par time Westwood definitely encouraged some short of cheese strategy for this mission.

And count me as someone else who really didn't use Mirage Tanks that often. As said by others, they are actually incredibly powerful and can fry infantry and most vehicles incredibly quickly. Glass armor like almost all Allied units though, but that is to be expected by this point.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Mirage tanks are great but you tend to have an order for 20 Grizzlies queued up by the time they become available.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
Well that intro was as abrupt as Seth getting shot in the head.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Allied 11: Operation: Fallout

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuItR0mIM4g
Operation: Fallout

For reasons known only to Einstein, the Florida Keys has been selected as the site for the construction of the venerable Chronosphere. There's no telling how much devastation could be wrought upon the world if it fell in the wrong hands, and its very existence will be seen as a threat to Soviet rule. We expect that they will deploy nukes against the site of the Chronosphere, and elsewhere in the US, and must put a premature end to their goals!

Florida Keys, Florida, and northern Cuba

Objective: Deploy the Chronosphere and neutralize all Soviet nuclear weapons in Cuba.

Briefing: Einstein has found the perfect place for his Chronosphere. Unfortunately this location is very close to Soviet-controlled Cuba. Build the Chronosphere and clear the area of Soviet nuclear missiles. We are nearly ready for our final attack on Moscow.

Author's note: A rather exciting mission that requires the use of your naval units as well as either air or ground types. Having the Chronosphere helps show off the deep strikes you can do on Soviet infrastructure as well!

Name: Lt. Eva
Aliases: None
Affiliation: Allies
Occupation: Tactical and Communications officer for the Commander
Voiced/Played by: Athena Massey

Lt. Eva is the Commander's tactics and communications officer, providing a vital supporting role in the Commander's control of his forces, and the battlefield.

Dolphin
RANGE: Medium
ARMOR: Light
WEAPON: Sonic-based Weapon
COST: 500

Dolphins are an important naval unit for the Allied forces. Cloaked and invisible to enemy radar, Dolphins attack with a sonar amplification device. They are effective against any Soviet naval units, particularly Giant Squids and Subs.

Author's Note: The only direct counter to Giant Squids, they are necessary to prevent your naval forces from sinking below the surface. Also, while they counter Giant Squids, they are vulnerable to them as well.

Chronosphere
ARMOR: Concrete
COST: 2500
POWER USAGE: 200
PURPOSE: Mass Teleportation Device

Allied research into time travel has developed the Chronosphere, a device that allows units to move instantly across the map. When used, the Chronosphere will move vehicles in a selected wide radius to another point on the map. Additionally, enemy vehicles can be transported with the Chronosphere. Enemy ships can be placed on land or enemy ground vehicles can be dropped in water, destroying them instantly. Like the [REDACTED], when the Chronosphere is built, all players are notified and the shroud above the device is removed.

Author's Note: A lovely superweapon that can destroy any unit out there... if used well enough. There appears to be a limit on how many units can be transported, but it is a very powerful ability nonetheless.

Spy Satellite
ARMOR: Wood
COST: 1500
POWER USAGE: 100
PURPOSE: Reveals the entire map

The Allied army depends on superior information to defeat the Soviet menace. When built and deployed, the Spy Satellite Uplink completely removes the shroud, showing all locations on the battlefield and on the Radar display.

Author's Note: Instantly reveals the entire map upon being built, rather than having to wait for the satellite to be constructed and deployed as seen in RA1.

Ore Purifier
PURPOSE: Increase income gained by collecting ore

The Allies have developed the Ore Purifier as a way to further refine the Ore they mine. While an expensive structure, the Ore Purifier allows you to gain additional credits from every load of Ore your miners return to your Refineries. Over time, the Ore Purifier pays for itself many times over.

Author's Note: The net increase to all income sources is 25%, according to the wiki I use for help. And you can only ever have one at a time

Aftermath:

Faster than Par Time: "Russian commanders fear your command more than whole Allied divisions. If one man can make a difference, you are that man."

Slower than Par Time: "The Chronosphere is built. Thanks to your tireless effort, the Allies are ready for one final push to victory."

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jun 3, 2020

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I laughed at the casual war crime at the start there

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Love that final transmission at the end of the mission. It's perfect.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Allied 11: Operation: Fallout

Spy Satellite
PURPOSE: Increase income gained by collecting ore

This should be Ore Purifier, right?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

HardDiskD posted:

This should be Ore Purifier, right?

It should be, yes!

Thanks!

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

You can get nine units with the Chronosphere, it's a 3x3 square.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Radio Free Kobold posted:

The animation, I believe, is a 4x4 or 5x5 square, always messes with me...

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I forget if you mentioned this but one quirk of the Chronosphere is that infantry in the affected area is instantly killed. It's rare that this is a worthwhile thing to do, of course.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Fangz posted:

I forget if you mentioned this but one quirk of the Chronosphere is that infantry in the affected area is instantly killed. It's rare that this is a worthwhile thing to do, of course.

Yeah I wanted to show it off in the video but it was in a random spot and got fast-forwarded instead.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Chronosphere
ARMOR: Concrete
PURPOSE: Mass Teleportation Device

Allied research into time travel has developed the Chronosphere, a device that allows units to move instantly across the map. When used, the Chronosphere will move vehicles in a selected wide radius to another point on the map. Additionally, enemy vehicles can be transported with the Chronosphere. Enemy ships can be placed on land or enemy ground vehicles can be dropped in water, destroying them instantly. Like the [REDACTED], when the Chronosphere is built, all
players are notified and the shroud above the device is removed.

Author's Note: A lovely superweapon that can destroy any unit out there... if used well enough. There appears to be a limit on how many units can be transported, but it is a very powerful ability nonetheless.

Bit of a spoiler miss there, but it is a lot of fun that the Chronosphere now both works on multiple units and can transport enemy units. It is extremely satisfying to chrono a cluster of harassing Dreadnoughts onto land to defang a major threat. If I recall correctly, they are dropped somewhat airborne and plummet for a moment, too.

Also, the Premier chewing the hell out of the scenery at the end there is wonderful. A Romanov never forgets to consider his legacy!

keseph fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 3, 2020

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

keseph posted:

Bit of a spoiler miss there, but it is a lot of fun that the Chronosphere now both works on multiple units and can transport enemy units. It is extremely satisfying to chrono a cluster of harassing Dreadnoughts onto land to defang a major threat. If I recall correctly, they are dropped somewhat airborne and plummet for a moment, too.

Also, the Premier chewing the hell out of the scenery at the end there is wonderful. A Romanov never forgets to consider his legacy!

And yeah, the fact that its no longer single-unit is such a massive improvement!

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Dolphin
RANGE: Medium
ARMOR: Light
WEAPON: Mirage Tank Cannon
COST: 500
Are you sure about that gun there?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Actually you can get way more by chronosphering loaded transports.

As a terrible RTS turtle this mission really hosed with me for a long time. If you aren't heading straight toward teleporting some tanks over to kill the power you just won't have any time at all.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Groetgaffel posted:

Are you sure about that gun there?

I am putting the blame squarely on these lovely past few days at this point.

Also I forget if they have an actual name for their weapon.

Stay safe out there thread-readers.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I am putting the blame squarely on these lovely past few days at this point.

Also I forget if they have an actual name for their weapon.

Stay safe out there thread-readers.
Don't worry about it man, we love you. :love:

Stay safe out in hellworld everyone.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

That little island with a refinery is the only time I ever buy a SEAL. The Prisms and him are enough to defend, until you need Patriots for the Dreads.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I think you are intended to hit the exposed nuclear reactor with spies to sabotage their power, or at least as an alternative. Also if you can dodge the dogs in their base you can trivialize it further. I usually get a bit overwhelmed as I'm trying to defend all bases from all directions only using towers, it's a terrible idea unless you have half an hour to prepare before the Soviets show up. :v:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
And now see the second reason why the Soviet navy is that much cooler than the Allied one. MIND CONTROLLED GIANT SQUIDS. Whoever came up with that must have been a)drugged up to his ears, b)a genius.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jun 3, 2020

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
And now we have the other half of the unstoppable combo - the Chronosphere and prism tanks. Simply drop nine (or less if you're feeling cocky) prism tanks in the heart of an opponent's base and you can gut all production structures in three shots.

This was considered unbeatable online and fear/anger over it drove pretty much every mod balance decision since, for good or ill.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Loxbourne posted:

And now we have the other half of the unstoppable combo - the Chronosphere and prism tanks. Simply drop nine (or less if you're feeling cocky) prism tanks in the heart of an opponent's base and you can gut all production structures in three shots.

This was considered unbeatable online and fear/anger over it drove pretty much every mod balance decision since, for good or ill.

I kinda wonder if expert players have the same opinion. I mean, it's powerful, but it's also hugely expensive, at 10800 for the prism tanks, and 2500 for the chronosphere, plus power and the battle lab. It's plausible that if players really know what they are doing games will be over before players can amass so much spare resources, or that players will build spare MCVs etc so that there's less to snipe. Of course, ordinary players wouldn't be so effective...

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Plus as we've seen, Prism Tanks are rather fragile and will die to other top-end vehicles quite handily, especially if chrono'd into the middle of an enemy base.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I see two defenses against it. The first is redundancy, if you're done for with a single pinpoint attack then you were weak from the start. The second is just not letting it happen. (I assume you have enough firepower inside your base to neuter those prisonprism tanks before they can destroy more than 2-3 of your buildings, if you're playing at the level where that tactic is being pulled off.)

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Oh boy, this mission. I think it's the toughest opening in the campaign (though opinions may differ). The strategy that worked for me the first time (and consequently the only strategy I've done since) was to immediately abandon everything except the main island, including builing a SEAL explicitly for the purpose of blowing up the SW bridge. This has the bonus of letting your ships respond to attacks from the south far more quickly since they otherwise can't sail under the low bridge. The biggest problem is that you run low on funds rather quickly, since there's only one ore patch left available.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

anilEhilated posted:

And now see the second reason why the Soviet navy is that much cooler than the Allied one. MIND CONTROLLED GIANT SQUIDS. Whoever came up with that must have been a)drugged up to his ears, b)a genius.
Of course, that's in the Red Alert universe. Over here, I'm reliably informed that the Americans have the squid.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Of course, that's in the Red Alert universe. Over here, I'm reliably informed that the Americans have the squid.
Fun fact about that (very cool, everyone go read it) story: the author is a goon.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

nielsm posted:

I see two defenses against it. The first is redundancy, if you're done for with a single pinpoint attack then you were weak from the start. The second is just not letting it happen. (I assume you have enough firepower inside your base to neuter those prisonprism tanks before they can destroy more than 2-3 of your buildings, if you're playing at the level where that tactic is being pulled off.)

You have less time than you'd think from the chronosphere going off - prism tanks en masse will destroy even construction yards in very short order, and of course you drop them right outside the target's conyard. So in the vanilla game at least the conyard is an auto-loss. The attacker then targets your war factory (the only way to build MCVs and now irreplaceable unless you have a second conyard somewhere) and it's a race to see who fires first. Prism tank shots go over walls so it is entirely a damage race between your units and defences, and the attacker's prism tanks. I don't know the exact number of prism tanks that need to survive to take that second shot, but back in the day plenty of people did.

Like all horrible cheese tactics it doesn't have to have a 100% success rate (like the Banshee rushes in TibSun before them, or Protoss cannon rushing in Starcraft 1/2), just be easy to execute, and not require much perceived skill to produce spectacular results. You very rarely saw Soviet players back in the day and if you asked why, you'd get rants about fukkin prism cheese.

I'll pick this up later, when we can discuss the things that are obvious reactions to the outcry against chrono prism drops.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Immediately knew what this was going to be, and it's a highly recommended read

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, mass Prism Tank drop to turn off the power followed by a 2nd one to wipe out the silos was my bread and butter method for this mission, and it is nice how insanely improved the RA2 Chronosphere is vs the RA1 one. Do like the soft timer you are under for this one though, and the early Soviet attacks also don't mess around even on normal from what I remember, you really do need to handle early rushes well or be overwhelmed. Least you have tons of ways to go about the mission and plenty of money for it, provided you keep your two mining bases up and running.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
You might have defended it from the Soviets but there's no way you're keeping that Chronosphere safe from Florida Man.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Not once he figures out that time machine= ex-wife removal.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

They're barking up the wrong tree there, the evidence suggests Mississippi Joe and makeshift meth lab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Turns out all the various Florida Man incidents throughout history have just been one dude abusing the chronosphere.