Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Tenebrais posted:

Very timely, all things considered!

Man, these videos are only five chapters behind the comic now.

Oh Lord I am really far behind watching these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Oh dear. Arthur let slip.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Jesus that's some heavy poo poo you're casually dropping there Kat.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
Can't wait for reddit/goons to start complaining about quartz alternators instead of the implications that Robot labelled Kat an angel.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
quartz alternators don't exist... yet :unsmigghh:

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Is this the first time Kat has actually considered that the robots think of her as a god? The seraphs call her creator, but even that can be hand-waved away pretty easily by the no-nonsense engineer who is creating bodies for them.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
This really sounds like that thought experiment Coyote did with Antimony all the way back about how he placed the moon even though everyone knows he didn't. Something something belief

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Is this the first time Kat has actually considered that the robots think of her as a god? The seraphs call her creator, but even that can be hand-waved away pretty easily by the no-nonsense engineer who is creating bodies for them.

She's a very myopic teenage science nerd. She's probably not given the ethics or ramifications of her actions a single thought other than, "Hey! That would be cool to do!"

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

There Bias Two posted:

She's a very myopic teenage science nerd. She's probably not given the ethics or ramifications of her actions a single thought other than, "Hey! That would be cool to do!"

For sure. I'm not really making a value judgement on Kat's lack of perspective. It makes sense from a character perspective. My impression of her conversation with Arthur is it's a pretty big milestone for her, but it wouldn't seem as big if the process had been more gradual than I remembered, so I asked about it.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Robot called her an angel to her face when they first met, but she was eleven years old and just thought he was being cute.
I'm not sure any of the others have been up-front about how they see her until now.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Paz assistant also called her Angel, 10 years ago

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=756

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

she probably hears it all the time off screen.

e: King also calls her angel https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=643

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
What if the price for magic is to become unable to use science? To transcend laws, you must discard them.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
My read on the pages where she's been called an angel before is she took it as an innocent compliment, like 'a lovely person' kind of angel. I'm guessing the recent conversation with Arthur got a lot more cult-y.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
"Wait, THAT'S what you mean? Oh no."

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Lunar Suite posted:

What if the price for magic is to become unable to use science? To transcend laws, you must discard them.

Follow-up question. Kat would never give up science for magic.

What event forces her to go through with it?

I may have said this (or read it here) before, but I really think the court is engineering a way to create their own God in Kat in order to go toe to toe with Coyote/Loup.

life_source
May 11, 2008

lmfao good loving luck you goddamn assholes kat hates the court these days

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!
phhffft like kat wouldn't consider something as simple as a worldline containing closed timelike curves

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
But all of this doesn't matter, because sending the TicToc back in time is impossible. Let's forget about this and move on.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Donkringel posted:

Follow-up question. Kat would never give up science for magic.

What event forces her to go through with it?

I may have said this (or read it here) before, but I really think the court is engineering a way to create their own God in Kat in order to go toe to toe with Coyote/Loup.

"It is man's attempt to become God" is the precise wording used...

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
The queen thinks all of Britain smells like fresh paint, and Kat thinks robots use angel as a term of endearment the way you might hear other people say "hon" or "pet".

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Return of football head annie :3

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Thats a rather... Forceful denial about time travel.

"Nope. I don't have a time machine. Definitely not. And if I did I certainly wouldn't create paradoxes with it."

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Inglonias posted:

Thats a rather... Forceful denial about time travel.

"Nope. I don't have a time machine. Definitely not. And if I did I certainly wouldn't create paradoxes with it."

"...and if I did create a paradox it's ok because it'd have already happened anyway."

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
"It's impossible" she says, almost petulantly, desperately trying to hang on to her truths. What a world to live in where "I'm not a god" and "time travel is impossible" are false statements.

Also, I really like the composition of the last panel. It's Annie that's getting smaller and smaller in the image to represent the falling, but the way it's blocked out makes it clear that Kat is the one experiencing the sensation of free fall, and the reader is taken along for the ride.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

On a scale of matter translocation to anti-gravity unit made of a thermos and coat hangers, how impossible is time travel, Kat?

life_source
May 11, 2008

Because she has declared it impossible, time travel is now impossible.

Just God things. You might not understand.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Then why did she say “they’re all this same robot” if she doesn’t think time travel is possible?

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Pardot posted:

Then why did she say “they’re all this same robot” if she doesn’t think time travel is possible?

Alternate universe. One where time just isn't quite as far along yet, perhaps, but is otherwise the same.

So, time travel with extra steps.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I can't tell who's joking and who isn't but this is some very obvious moment of Kat being in denial of what is plainly and literally in front of her due to not being to able to cope with it.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Yeah to be clear that face has "in denial" written all over it. Though it's also not head-fully-in-sand denial because she's already said all the tic-tocs are that bird.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

maswastaken posted:

On a scale of matter translocation to anti-gravity unit made of a thermos and coat hangers, how impossible is time travel, Kat?

Who cares? Protein crystals!

Don't worry, Kat. Time is an n-tuple helix and causality isn't a problem. There's another you(s) in another universe(s) who already created a birdbot and sent it across the spiral to save your Annie. If you fail to make a robot and send it across the spiral, you're only letting down an Annie and Kat in a completely different parallel reality.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Mikl posted:

But all of this doesn't matter, because sending the TicToc back in time is impossible. Let's forget about this and move on.

Boy is Kat gonna feel silly for worrying about this when Loup steals her Tic-Toc, duplicates it, and sends them back in time!

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Good on whoever originally suggested that unaltered timeline death-by-bridge Annie was the reason for the 'neither of them should be here' comment from the interpreter. Nailed it exactly.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Yes but what does this mean going forward?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Possibly nothing, it's a solved problem at least in this universe. Annie was probably going to die, and we already know that Kat's tic tocs prevented it. She's still coming to grips with the idea that it's a foregone conclusion, but because it did happen we already know she eventually goes through with it. This caused the events leading up to now unfold differently, but that doesn't really matter as we have no frame of reference for how they'd be different. It'd be interesting to get a glance at what the world would be like without Annie past that point.

edit: rephrased some stuff

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 4, 2020

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

BobTheJanitor posted:

Good on whoever originally suggested that unaltered timeline death-by-bridge Annie was the reason for the 'neither of them should be here' comment from the interpreter. Nailed it exactly.

I think you'll find that was reddit, obviously.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

BrightWing posted:

Yes but what does this mean going forward?

It means that one Annie is back to being the original Annie and this could easily not be a grand hotel problem anymore. As little as two timelines rather than infinite timelines, which would also mean there's a timeline without an Annie.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
We should also keep in mind this is purely Kat's speculation - other theories about neither Annie belonging could still be applicable, we don't know for certain that Kat is correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Kat's basically being asked to give up on her understanding of reality to save her best friend. Or rather, told assertively by the universe that she will.