Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I didn’t get this joke until a few years ago. I remember I saw this in theaters in grade 3 at a friends birthday party. I think my parents bought VHS when Columbia House was a thing and I have the DVD too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I got to see this with Weird Al and Emo Philips on stage providing commentary a few years ago. Tragically the event was hosted by Tig Notaro, who knew nothing about the film and wasted everyone’s time asking them questions that are answered in the Wikipedia article and making GBS threads on the audience for being excited. Emo and Al were good sports about it, at least.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Midjack posted:

making GBS threads on the audience for being excited.

What the hell?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Is this it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c5lMMI5WI0

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

TrixRabbi posted:

Is this it?

Noope! Sorry, had to do it!

lol 2 minutes in and they're both ripping into Victoria Jackson, this is great. In hindsight Al should've gotten someone like E.G. Daily to play Teri, but I guess that would've made people draw comparisons to Pee Wee's Big Adventure.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Look, you just don't know who is going to become a far right conspiracy theorist when a Black man is elected President in 20 years.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Davros1 posted:

What the hell?

Yeah that was what I thought too along with some other things. Never encountered her before or since so maybe that’s her comedy style but it’s a hell of a first impression, especially with two legit funny people up there.

Knight2m
Jul 26, 2002

Touchdown Steelers

TrixRabbi posted:

As for Money for Nothing/Beverly Hillbillies I'm pretty sure the studio demanded he have a song parody somewhere in the film and so that was their solution, which is why it ultimately feels shoehorned in since it's hard to just sort of drop a music video into the middle of a movie that's not a musical. For as wacky as the world of UHF is, it would probably break the mood of the world around it -- dour and downtrodden, strangely hostile and mean, drowning in the kitschiest Gates-of-Heaven-esque Americana schlock -- to just have an in-continuity song and dance number with the cast.

My favorite fun fact about this song is that the only way they would let Al do the parody is if they played on the song.

wikipedia posted:

The music video, which appeared as part of Yankovic's film UHF, is a parody of the "Money for Nothing" music video. The song features Dire Straits members Mark Knopfler on guitar and Guy Fletcher on synthesizer, Knopfler's one condition for allowing the parody.

Here's the clip from the Behind The Music:
Timestamp: 29:18
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwIbW8lFA9E

Knight2m fucked around with this message at 07:34 on May 25, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The BD commentary was fascinating. Al has a brain like a computer and could remember all the addresses where they shot scenes. It's a great story to of how Orion treated him like a king that would save their studio and then quickly stopped returning his calls when it did not, uh, do as well as hoped.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 26, 2020

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

lol at that Behind the Music episode misspelling Krist Novoselic's name.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Dawgstar posted:

The BD commentary was fascinating. Al has a brain like a computer and could remember all the addresses where they shot scenes. It's a great story to of how Orion treated him like a king that would save their studio and then quickly stopped returning his calls when it did not, uh, do as well as hoped.

This! It's one of my favorite commentary tracks for how informative and interesting it is. It's also kind of sad to realize that Al has spent countless sleepless nights agonizing over how he could have made the movie better, but he eventually made peace with it when the movie became a cult classic.

SolarFire2 fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 28, 2020

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I had this on VHS as a small child. Thirty years later I still simply cannot buy tangerines without hearing Michael Richards' voice in my head.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SolarFire2 posted:

This! It's one of my favorite commentary tracks for how informative and interesting it is. It's also kind of sad to realize that Al has spent countless sleepless nights agonizing over how he could have made the movie better, but he eventually made peace with it when the movie became a cult classic.

Al's creative process is as fascinating as it is exacting. There was an interview somebody did at his house and Al let him look at his notes for, like, 'Amish Paradise' and Al would have the lyrics with different words crossed out with potential replacements that he thought might be funnier.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I somehow missed this thread all month, I should venture out of the horror threads more. I love this movie although I haven't seen it in years, I'll try to give it another watch soon.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

SolarFire2 posted:

Apparently he went through something similar with a recent project. Adult Swim asked him to write a movie, bought it, then decided not to make it. He spent YEARS writing it, I think (this is less nuts when you remember he tours extensively and makes albums still). I think they gave him the rights back.

Just started getting serious with someone, might show it to her. I love this movie. I get why praising him is verboten but Michael Richards is great in this. Also weird fact: Fran Drescher basically pretends she wasn't in this, evidently she's not aware this is the closest thing to a great film she's ever been in.They've done anniversary stuff for this and she always refuses to participate.

Also agree about Victoria Jackson, I used to find her charming on SNL but she's pretty generic in this. Her losing her loving mind doesn't help.

Watch Al's interview with Nardwuar.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 3, 2020

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Also weird fact: Fran Drescher basically pretends she wasn't in this
That's loving weird but, uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

evidently she's not aware this is the closest thing to a great film she's ever been in.
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Spinal Tap?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

caligulamprey posted:

That's loving weird but, uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Spinal Tap?

Oh poo poo, I forgot she was in that.

Still though. UHF is hardly something to be ashamed of.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Fran Drescher is a smoke show in UHF.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I always wonder what it would have been like if Joel Hodgson had played Philo, but I guess I can't argue with the obscure cowtown puppet show he went on to make.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Just started getting serious with someone, might show it to her. I love this movie. I get why praising him is verboten but Michael Richards is great in this. Also weird fact: Fran Drescher basically pretends she wasn't in this, evidently she's not aware this is the closest thing to a great film she's ever been in.They've done anniversary stuff for this and she always refuses to participate.

I mean, Michael Richards isn't the most problematic part of this movie, you've got brownface for Gandhi II.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

GoutPatrol posted:

I mean, Michael Richards isn't the most problematic part of this movie, you've got brownface for Gandhi II.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

A gag so good I have to pretend it's not a racist "Engrish" joke, but it is and that's a bummer :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

GoutPatrol posted:

I mean, a lot of folks consider Gandhi I to be brownface.