Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
This is like all these hilariously low population numbers in D&D settings.

Like the giant metropolis of Sharn has something 200 000 people in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Hogwarts is also kinda depicted stupidly huge in the movies for only having a few hundred students, with a layout that doesn't really seem to reflect how the story is written, with a bunch of disconnected building. The marauder's map must be a pain to use on buildings over 10 stories tall.

Like there's room for a whole wizarding university to be there without the children ever meeting the grad students.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
What if the house elves are the grad students?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

MonsieurChoc posted:

This is like all these hilariously low population numbers in D&D settings.

Like the giant metropolis of Sharn has something 200 000 people in it.

200k is really, really big for the vast majority of human history. Paris only reaches 300k at the very end of the middle ages and was 20k around 1000 CE. London never reached 200k in the middle ages, Rome was 200k in in the late 19th century.

Thing with HP is that if you've got like 6000 people, what the gently caress are you doing with like, ministries? You don't even really need formal schools at 6000 people, it'd make more sense to have apprenticeships. Are they just doing that because they want to LARP as muggles? That makes no sense.

e: Maybe like British Magicians are like that joke about the soviet union: two thirds of the people are permanently employed spying on the remaining one third.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Fantasy authors, and frankly people in general, are really bad at estimating how large populations need to be to support various institutions and levels of society so Im not blaming her. She also never said hard numbers as I recall in the books so what ever else shes gurgling out from her bowels is even less relevant.

I think my favorite was the post apocalyptic sci-fi setting where an entire self sufficient agrarian community was capable of maintaining and upgraded fighter jets with a population of like 50 people.

I know I just like complaining about it and it's nostalgic because I complained about it even as a precocious little insufferable teen :v:

Scale is something that's just really hard to gauge in abstracts. I just remember laughing at that specifically though because I went and looked up cities in my home state with 6k populations and was like "lmao the wizarding world in the UK is the size of Madras?????" jesus at least they can gently caress their cousins in Culver :v:

Pick fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jun 2, 2020

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Bartimaeus is a lot better about it because mages few in number on purpose since they're effectively an aristocracy. Anybody with the knowledge how can summon a spirit and gain access to magic, so the mages in that series are much more about controlling availability of information and intentionally obscuring the source of their magic so non-mages are ignorant and easily cowed into servitude. Also unlike Harry Potter which waffles on whether wizards would be in actual danger if muggles found out about their society at large, Bartimaeus states clearly that mages only keep the rest of society underfoot by means of fear and if they ever did rise up at any significant scale mages would be toast.

The books are hugely different in many aspects but Bartimaeus has a way more interesting and nuanced take on "modern British society but with magic" premise.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!

Tulip posted:

200k is really, really big for the vast majority of human history. Paris only reaches 300k at the very end of the middle ages and was 20k around 1000 CE. London never reached 200k in the middle ages, Rome was 200k in in the late 19th century.

Thing with HP is that if you've got like 6000 people, what the gently caress are you doing with like, ministries? You don't even really need formal schools at 6000 people, it'd make more sense to have apprenticeships. Are they just doing that because they want to LARP as muggles? That makes no sense.

e: Maybe like British Magicians are like that joke about the soviet union: two thirds of the people are permanently employed spying on the remaining one third.

large cities go back at least to Uruk, with approximately 100k people. Rome and large cities of its time like Alexandria and Xian easily hit the 500k mark and had populations over a million in some estimates.

that remained the big leagues until the industrial revolution. london was around that size by the early 1800s and exploded to over 6 million by 1900. over 200k was common though, western Europe was a shithole

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Sydin posted:

Bartimaeus is a lot better about it because mages few in number on purpose since they're effectively an aristocracy. Anybody with the knowledge how can summon a spirit and gain access to magic, so the mages in that series are much more about controlling availability of information and intentionally obscuring the source of their magic so non-mages are ignorant and easily cowed into servitude. Also unlike Harry Potter which waffles on whether wizards would be in actual danger if muggles found out about their society at large, Bartimaeus states clearly that mages only keep the rest of society underfoot by means of fear and if they ever did rise up at any significant scale mages would be toast.

The books are hugely different in many aspects but Bartimaeus has a way more interesting and nuanced take on "modern British society but with magic" premise.

I thought those books were very good. almost too good for what they were.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Hogwarts is also kinda depicted stupidly huge in the movies for only having a few hundred students, with a layout that doesn't really seem to reflect how the story is written, with a bunch of disconnected building. The marauder's map must be a pain to use on buildings over 10 stories tall.

Like there's room for a whole wizarding university to be there without the children ever meeting the grad students.

Hogwarts is maybe a touch more grandiose, but:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, when you're actually rooming and boarding several hundred students, on top of staff, and have sports facilities, greenhouses, extensive grounds, and magical creature pens and such, all the space requirements add up. And then there seems to be room left over; Hogwarts DOES seem implied to be oversized, even without getting magical bigger-on-the-inside effects involved, with enough leftover rooms to hide a few plot devices.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, when you're actually rooming and boarding several hundred students, on top of staff, and have sports facilities, greenhouses, extensive grounds, and magical creature pens and such, all the space requirements add up. And then there seems to be room left over; Hogwarts DOES seem implied to be oversized, even without getting magical bigger-on-the-inside effects involved, with enough leftover rooms to hide a few plot devices.

I don't remember if this is fanon or not, but I think the implication is that classes are smaller for Harry and company because of all the murder that was going on.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Tulip posted:

Ravenloft has hilariously low population, something like 6000 for an entire realm.

Sharn is supposed to be this huge magitech metropolis with giant sky-scraper-like towers. 200 000 is huge if you're going for medieval fantasy, but Industrial Revolution-era london had between 1 and 3 million people in it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Hunter Noventa posted:

I don't remember if this is fanon or not, but I think the implication is that classes are smaller for Harry and company because of all the murder that was going on.

It is outright said at some point that a shitload of Hogwarts' non-Muggle-born students know at least one relative who got murdered by Voldemort and his crew, and some entire families were wiped out. Said before, the irony being that Voldemort basically ensured that wizards had to start having kids with muggles or die out from inbreeding.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Ravenloft has hilariously low population, something like 6000 for an entire realm.

Sharn is supposed to be this huge magitech metropolis with giant sky-scraper-like towers. 200 000 is huge if you're going for medieval fantasy, but Industrial Revolution-era london had between 1 and 3 million people in it.

Ravenloft is at least a special case given it's basically patchworked together from places in other planes that got gothic enough.

Should be obvious at this point that RPG writers don't read history books.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

"You're Harry Potter! Everyone knows who you are."

Its loving 6000 people Ron. Everybody personally knows everyone

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It is outright said at some point that a shitload of Hogwarts' non-Muggle-born students know at least one relative who got murdered by Voldemort and his crew, and some entire families were wiped out. Said before, the irony being that Voldemort basically ensured that wizards had to start having kids with muggles or die out from inbreeding.

Ravenloft is at least a special case given it's basically patchworked together from places in other planes that got gothic enough.

Should be obvious at this point that RPG writers don't read history books.

iirc ravenloft also gains population on a regular basis because people wander in from other planes under suitably ominous circumstances

e: also dreadlords tend to come with kingdoms alongside the ineffable torment which consumes their ill-fated souls

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 2, 2020

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

MonsieurChoc posted:

I don't know why I'm defending Eberron I think it's poo poo and that's probably exactly the problem with Eberron cities: they invented trains but didn't invent sewage systems so by 200k people you're just drowning in poo poo.

The biggest cities in Glorantha are like 100,000 but Glorantha isn't also trying to have 21st century style potemkin bureaucracies, it's explicitly bronze age.

Hodgepodge posted:

large cities go back at least to Uruk, with approximately 100k people. Rome and large cities of its time like Alexandria and Xian easily hit the 500k mark and had populations over a million in some estimates.

that remained the big leagues until the industrial revolution. london was around that size by the early 1800s and exploded to over 6 million by 1900. over 200k was common though, western Europe was a shithole

Yeah, point is that 200k is pretty justifiably "fuckin big" pre-modern sewage, though a lot of the time its pretty arbitrary cuz you can expand the borders of a city in comical ways.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The World Quidditch Cup has the talent pool of a county lmao

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Hodgepodge posted:

iirc ravenloft also gains population on a regular basis because people wander in from other planes under suitably ominous circumstances

e: also dreadlords tend to come with kingdoms alongside the ineffable torment which consumes their ill-fated souls
so Sci-Fi Wi-Fi is a part of Ravenloft, then?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Never forget.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

Never forget.

I really liked that this woman thought that JK Rowling had a chance to read her self-published children's books that were only distribited in the Harrisburg PA area and thought to herself "I must steal this! But only the name and the fact that he wears glasses."

Something I like even more is imagining that its true

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

josh04 posted:

Hogwarts is maybe a touch more grandiose, but:

Hogwarts has a fairly larger footprint and goes more than twice as tall.

Eton houses more than 4 times as many students.

Although admittedly it's pretty normal for fantasy castles to be wildly out of scale for what they need to be.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I like how everybody immediately knows Ron's lineage at a glance. I guess the Weasleys are the only red-headed wizards in all of London.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Although admittedly it's pretty normal for fantasy castles to be wildly out of scale for what they need to be.

You're telling me! This is a castle for ANTS!

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Sydin posted:

I like how everybody immediately knows Ron's lineage at a glance. I guess the Weasleys are the only red-headed wizards in all of London.

Their mom makes then all wear matching sweaters with WEASLEY stitched across the chest

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Tulip posted:

I don't know why I'm defending Eberron I think it's poo poo and that's probably exactly the problem with Eberron cities: they invented trains but didn't invent sewage systems so by 200k people you're just drowning in poo poo.

The biggest cities in Glorantha are like 100,000 but Glorantha isn't also trying to have 21st century style potemkin bureaucracies, it's explicitly bronze age.

Yeah, point is that 200k is pretty justifiably "fuckin big" pre-modern sewage, though a lot of the time its pretty arbitrary cuz you can expand the borders of a city in comical ways.

I'm reminded of a D&D campaign where I had the opposite reaction where a rather small town had surprisingly large sewers, and the DM just said the locals had their priorities straight.

Sydin posted:

They aren't just redheads but full on gingers iirc, and the Weasleys are kinda everywhere. I figure most wizards guess any ginger wizard is probably a Weasley and they happen to be right with Ron.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Their mom makes then all wear matching sweaters with WEASLEY stitched across the chest

smart, it's probably so they don't bang any of their own cousins on accident

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Can't believe Rowling wrote Harry to end up with Ginny out of nowhere just so they could all be part of the same literal family when that would have provably just happened in 3 generations anyway.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
To be fair Harry ignoring Ginny despite her obvious crush on him until she grows up, gets over it, and starts dating somebody else at which point Harry is immediately burning red hot with seething jealousy is some of the more on-brand age 15 entitled rich boy writing Rowling did for Harry.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

One of the low-key things I liked about Fred and George was that every Christmas Ron would throw a fit over his embarrassing mom sweater, while the twins just gleefully owned it and endlessly needled Ron over being so uptight.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Barovia is a rural valley. The other domains of Ravenloft have populations more appropriate to their size and development. Hundreds of thousands live in the lich dude's domain, and some of the domains that are just cities have greater populations than Barovia. I'm not sure if any of the numbers are realistic, but we're also talking about the pocket dimension of gothic horror, so realism is not among the setting's concerns.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I really liked that this woman thought that JK Rowling had a chance to read her self-published children's books that were only distribited in the Harrisburg PA area and thought to herself "I must steal this! But only the name and the fact that he wears glasses."

Something I like even more is imagining that its true

Between that and the person who accused the Wachowskis of stealing The Matrix from them it was truly the last gasp of ridiculous claims of plagiarism being lobbied at massively successful media franchises after the fact getting undue amounts of attention before the internet made it effectively impossible.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!

Zetsubou-san posted:

so Sci-Fi Wi-Fi is a part of Ravenloft, then?

technically all of earth was taken by the dark powers early in the reagan administration

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Sleeveless posted:

Between that and the person who accused the Wachowskis of stealing The Matrix from them it was truly the last gasp of ridiculous claims of plagiarism being lobbied at massively successful media franchises after the fact getting undue amounts of attention before the internet made it effectively impossible.

They DID on the other hand steal the idea from me, Al Gore

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Sleeveless posted:

Never forget.

Is Larry pullin' his pants down?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They aren't just redheads but full on gingers iirc, and the Weasleys are kinda everywhere. I figure most wizards guess any ginger wizard is probably a Weasley and they happen to be right with Ron.

"Weasley" is just a slur for red-headed wizards and the Weasley family gave up a few generations ago and changed their names from O'Connor.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

PeterWeller posted:

Barovia is a rural valley. The other domains of Ravenloft have populations more appropriate to their size and development. Hundreds of thousands live in the lich dude's domain, and some of the domains that are just cities have greater populations than Barovia. I'm not sure if any of the numbers are realistic, but we're also talking about the pocket dimension of gothic horror, so realism is not among the setting's concerns.

Look up my (abandoned) Fatal and Friends review of Ravenloft, the numbers are hilarious.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
Larry is too poor to own a belt because his foster parents keep him in a hatch under an access ramp

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Larry was also attacked by thousands of owls after his 11th birthday. Not because he's a wizard, of course.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tulip posted:

The World Quidditch Cup has the talent pool of a county lmao

lol

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Sleeveless posted:

My favorite one of these was the time an old WCW/WWF wrestler named "Maxx Payne" sued Remedy Entertainment, Rockstar Games, 3D Realms and Gathering of Developers shortly after the Max Payne games came out. This guy had wrestled as "Max Payne" in the 80s and under every other possible variation of that name during his career, was billed from Hell's Kitchen and had a "sinister, grungy, Jimi Hendrix-loving heavy metal guitarist" gimmick with "a neo-noir feel" (citation needed, because at least in WCW his gimmick was "fat metalhead goon"). Clearly, Sam Lake was such a big fan of this obscure wrestler (who nobody had heard of in the US, let alone Finland) that he copied his persona wholesale for the Max Payne character. They're practically identical.

Sure, the Hell's Kitchen and neo-noir parts sound a bit like Remedy's Max Payne, but loving come on. The case was settled out of court instead of being immediately dismissed, which is kind of surprising because everyone involved (except maybe Maxx Payne himself) must have known that was a bunch of bullshit. Maybe they just paid him so he'd go away.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jun 3, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Remember when Lavender Brown was played by a black girl up until she got recast because she needed to date Ron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Thanks for reminding me that for like half of book six every other page is "and then Harry and Hermione turned the corner and saw Ron and Lavender making out."

What book was it where Harry tried to catch his crush on the rebound and then stormed out of the date in a fit of rage because she wouldn't stop asking him about her ex getting murdered by Wizard Hitler? Five?