Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Fishy Flip posted:

So I was just about ready to start hardmode and one of the few things I had left to do was build some NPC housing to get my pylon network up. I still had all my NPCs crowded in my main base. Since I'm playing journey mode and have access to unlimited building materials, I decided to actually try and put some effort into my NPC towns. Now it's a week later and I've pretty much done nothing but build stuff. Never even got around to starting hardmode yet. In the past when I've played Terraria I've never really bothered with trying to build anything beyond a pretty basic main base. It's great not having to go farm all the materials you need, you can just get right down to it. Just wanted to share what I came up with. They're nothing spectacular, but I had fun making them and am pretty happy with how they turned out.

I'm playing on a large world, Journey mode (mostly legit, only using duplication for building materials), Classic difficulty.

This post kinda makes me want to play in journey mode. I've never really played through the normal progression mechnics of modern terrarria but I'd love to have the freedom to make some pretty bases with infinite building supplies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Irritated Goat posted:

It's kind of a shame that you can't get certain entire classes of items without going into Master mode. I get it, it should have rewards but I'm a wuss and play on Journey because getting splatted 8 times in 1 night is kind of ruining my fun. Just more of a whine than "game is bad".

I've been pausing with the boss at a sliver of health and cranking the difficulty to Master for the drops (and then right back to Journey... half the time :gibs:). Underwhelming so far, none of the pets fit my aesthetic. Turning on God mode and just sitting inside the boss waving a flail is also an option.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Khanstant posted:

Just noticed that last night by accident, definitely going to need to smooth out my sand-dune ramp because it's really fun to go up and will be even better smooth without me going so fast i clip into the blocks lol.

That first "boost spin" jump you get from triple-balloon item is so drat fun, I sometimes just hop around the surface for no reason. I know there are more movement options to get eventually but I wonder if any of them are as fun as these funny jumps.
You can also hammer platforms to make actual flights of stairs.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Groetgaffel posted:

You can also hammer platforms to make actual flights of stairs.
It's a way to fix them if they don't do it automatically on placement, but normally that happens on its own.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I wish NPCs would drop moving into my bedroom.

President Ark posted:

mods take time and effort to update to new versions

Hes not complaing about that, lol

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

It's a way to fix them if they don't do it automatically on placement, but normally that happens on its own.
Don't you have to have smart cursor turned on for that?
Mine haven't turned into stairs on their own at least, and I tend to have the smart cursor off for most things when building.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Maybe thats why I never discovered stairs despite judicious use of platforms. I only use "smart cursor" (is that the thing when you hold ctrl or whatever to automatically whip out a torch without putting it on your hotbar?) when spelunking to place torch.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Groetgaffel posted:

Don't you have to have smart cursor turned on for that?
Mine haven't turned into stairs on their own at least, and I tend to have the smart cursor off for most things when building.
Checked that right quick and yeah, you're right. I practically never play the game without smart cursor anymore except when it gives me issues with placing objects, so I never noticed that. If you do, though, they'll automatically turn into stairs.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Khanstant posted:

Maybe thats why I never discovered stairs despite judicious use of platforms. I only use "smart cursor" (is that the thing when you hold ctrl or whatever to automatically whip out a torch without putting it on your hotbar?) when spelunking to place torch.

It is yeah. I mostly use for digging tunnels and placing walls, since you just have to point in the general direction you want instead of aiming at individual blocks.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'll give it a shot tonight, I have been really lamenting that the tool upgrades still lock you to a 1x1 block use. Starbound wasn't perfect but it did really good with it's building/mining tools.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Khanstant posted:

I'll give it a shot tonight, I have been really lamenting that the tool upgrades still lock you to a 1x1 block use. Starbound wasn't perfect but it did really good with it's building/mining tools.
You'll be happy to hear that there is a new shovel that can dig 3x3 chunks of soil, in that case. You can make it in the graveyard.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

I did, and I loved it, but pylons and the incentive to build outside of your npc hotel is really fun too

so wait for tmodloader to be updated for 1.4
1.4 was only released like two weeks ago

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Ugh, never mind. Not worth it.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

just to be clear, while tmodloader has been added as an official dlc as a way to have a modded 1.3.5 build installed alongside your 1.4 one it’s worked on exclusively by fans. redigit are not at all involved in the actual developement of the modloader

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Okay, I had always been on board with Journey mode duping, but holy loving penis I have been doing things I never thought I'd ever do. Making lakes for fishing biomes, biome-sculpting sky islands, lining and walling my hellevator. I just built a desert because I had no corrupted one.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Sticky dynamite is my go-to mining 'tool' for a large chunk of the game.

Dareon posted:

Okay, I had always been on board with Journey mode duping, but holy loving penis I have been doing things I never thought I'd ever do. Making lakes for fishing biomes, biome-sculpting sky islands, lining and walling my hellevator. I just built a desert because I had no corrupted one.

Had to deal with that too. Used Climentator to corrupt then uncorrupt a chunk of desert.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Dareon posted:

I hear ya. I lined my hellevator with marble, and bands of gemspark blocks ten tiles apart arranged in a rainbow pattern for maximum :pcgaming: on the way down.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
You don't need much for a 'corrupt desert' for dark mummies. I just put some regular sand over a bit of my corrupt biome touching the grass, waited a bit and then went so it was in the spawn area with a water candle and battle potion. Got the dark shards right quick. They just spawn on corrupt sand regardless of biome type.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

nightwisher posted:

Today's progress on building a custom world:

Further shaping of the overworld terrain and biomes, extensions to the temple, dungeon, desert, marble and granite biomes and a space cleared out to fill in with an underground ocean + river. Pyramids will go in once I rework them a bit, they're boring as is. Still a lot of work to do (cloud biomes and hell mainly) but overall things are coming along well. I'll probably host a server for this map once it's done, after I do some playtesting with a group of friends.

This is super cool and looks like fun. Are you interested in any outside contribution, or is this more a personal project?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Is that a gigantic spider-zone?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
All right, someone let me know what's gonna kill me if I try Moon Lord basically blind. I know he spawns the eyes from his hands, so I shouldn't kill the first-phase parts too far apart. Anything else I need to care about?

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

All right, someone let me know what's gonna kill me if I try Moon Lord basically blind. I know he spawns the eyes from his hands, so I shouldn't kill the first-phase parts too far apart. Anything else I need to care about?

Giant gently caress-off lasers.

Honestly, it’s going to be a fast death if you are in expert and this is your first time.

We used walls or a smallish arena to deal with that before.

He’s a learning experience.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Everything. :catdrugs:

Unless you have a way to cheese it and you plan on actively engaging with it, I would say watch for the big gently caress you laser that sweeps in a big arc from the forehead in the first phase (I think just the first phase?). The closer you are to it, the easier it is to dodge because you don't have to move as far to make the arc.

Or you can watch some videos of the fight, though a lot of them will likely use cheese tactics anyway.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
It used to be that the forehead beam didn't pierce through walls, so you could make yourself a little box and use your Solar Eruption to kill it, after stacking yourself up with all of the +regen and +defense buffs you could get.

Now it goes through walls.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I'm glad there are other people besides me who are so busy building things, they haven't bothered with hardmode yet.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Theres two things. Holding SHIFT makes you automatically use whatever tool is appropriate to what you're clicking on, but doesn't move the target.
Hitting CTRL toggles a mode where it automatically shifts the cursor to whatever target 'makes sense' next given what you're doing - e.g. if you're tunneling sideways it will dug out a 3-block-high tunnel, if you're placing backwall it will fill out the structure you're in but not go outside it, etc.
You can use both at once, and it is very convenient.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Memento posted:

It used to be that the forehead beam didn't pierce through walls, so you could make yourself a little box and use your Solar Eruption to kill it, after stacking yourself up with all of the +regen and +defense buffs you could get.

Now it goes through walls.
Yeah, I saw that 1.4 changed that, which is good because that's real dumb. But I still might try facetanking it more for the laughs than anything...

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
God having that loving shovel was nice when I needed to make a flat patch of ground for people to live in. Though the new Scarab Bombs make Hellivator making SO loving MUCH EASIER. And an unlimited supply of them in Journey Mode is really nice to see. Takes a good couple hundred of them to make an entire hellivator if you're trying to just go straight down...still gotta be extremely careful of the water and lava though, probably make some diving gear to help with things as you go down into the cavern areas.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Kemix posted:

still gotta be extremely careful of the water and lava though, probably make some diving gear to help with things as you go down into the cavern areas.

Use a builder potion while you're doing it, and put a rope down the middle. use the rope to suspend yourself while you throw scarab bombs straight down until whatever fluids are in the way are gone. repeat until you get to the underworld.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

GodFish posted:

Is that a gigantic spider-zone?

No, that’s the desert.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I can't get liquids to work in tEdit - seems like you should just be able to lay them down like any other tile, but they just, I dunno, don't work?

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
why isn't this valid housing

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Corruption background

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Kalas posted:

Sticky dynamite is my go-to mining 'tool' for a large chunk of the game.

Oh yeah, I definitely have spent the majority of my money on bombs and dynamite. Stick is great too. I have a pretty good rythym sometimes of laying dynamite, dropping a bomb, grapple, then bombing some more adding in a dynamite. If i do it right, the bomb goes before dynamite, letting the dynamite get more blocks. It's just fun to try while bombing out big areas.

The Lone Badger posted:

Theres two things. Holding SHIFT makes you automatically use whatever tool is appropriate to what you're clicking on, but doesn't move the target.
Hitting CTRL toggles a mode where it automatically shifts the cursor to whatever target 'makes sense' next given what you're doing - e.g. if you're tunneling sideways it will dug out a 3-block-high tunnel, if you're placing backwall it will fill out the structure you're in but not go outside it, etc.
You can use both at once, and it is very convenient.

Been enjoying this new CTRL toggle, now know i can use em bot hat once so I'm sure this'll be even more fun. I really regret how much time ive spent picking away at little squares with this an option the whole time, lol.

Okay, so weird thing: I just unequipped my obsidian rose to see if i could craft with it or anything... but then the inventory slot itself disappeared.Dunno if related, but my obsidian horseshoe came off somehow too, went into my void bag... not sure when or how, i noticed because i suddenly died from my normal triple hopping escapades. To be fair, I do remember thinking it weird when I had that inventory slot to begin with, IIRC it was brown and showed up one day and i thought i just hadnt noticed it despite already using my vanity slot as gear backlup. Feels like I was randomly nerfed?

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 4, 2020

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Are you on journey mode and adjusting difficulty?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Yeah Master will give you a extra accessory slot that's inactive on lower difficulties but will still show up if you left something in it.

Expert and Master also get an extra slot after you've done Wall of Flesh - same deal becomes inactive on lower difficulty settings /maps.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Khanstant posted:

Oh yeah, I definitely have spent the majority of my money on bombs and dynamite. Stick is great too. I have a pretty good rythym sometimes of laying dynamite, dropping a bomb, grapple, then bombing some more adding in a dynamite. If i do it right, the bomb goes before dynamite, letting the dynamite get more blocks. It's just fun to try while bombing out big areas.

drat, some of your all's protesting techniques are on a completely different level

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Ahh, okay I made a temporary expert mode world to harvest sand a while back must've just stuck around. Might have to do it again and also for snow soon. I wish snowclouds actually generated snow

Estel
May 4, 2010

Memento posted:

I can't get liquids to work in tEdit - seems like you should just be able to lay them down like any other tile, but they just, I dunno, don't work?

The pencil, brush and fill tools have different modes, selecting the liquid mode let's you choose the liquid and add it or remove it like any other tile/wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ambaire posted:

Use a builder potion while you're doing it, and put a rope down the middle. use the rope to suspend yourself while you throw scarab bombs straight down until whatever fluids are in the way are gone. repeat until you get to the underworld.
Alternately, get water walking boots and stand on some water as you throw down infinite dynamite, it's what I like to do. It gets you a ton of obsidian at the same time.