Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

Boston sound so much better after not listening to them for 20 years.

Too much casual exposure completely ruins bands like Boston. I have too much carpenter rock in my work life so I can’t stand them. I wish I could go 20 years, they must sound a hell of a lot better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I absolutely love Boston, but I could definitely go the rest of my life without hearing More Than a Feeling or Peace of Mind again

Foreplay/Longtime is amazing, and I highly recommend this underappreciated gem that was unreleased until their greatest hits in '97

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp6WZ39-obw

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Boston is one of those bands where a couple songs get overplayed so badly it's hard to get past them and enjoy the rest of their output.

Remember No Rain by Blind Melon? That song was, by a fairly wide margin, the most bland and boring track on that album. There's a ton of examples but that one pops into my head immediately.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Even more than a feeling is good when it happens as part of the album (it helps if you don't listen to classic rock radio and hear it twice a day)

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Boston kicks rear end even all the overplayed radio hits.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Kilometers Davis posted:

Boston kicks rear end even all the overplayed radio hits.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Also I relate to the carpenter rock thing Snowy.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'm watching the streamed Crowbar and Clutch show right now and this is honestly one of the weirdest things I've ever watched. Like, they sound good but nothing is loud enough and the whole thing is so...sterile I guess? There's no reaction or anything because there's obviously no crowd.

I'm not sure how many of these I can do because it's got a very uncanny valley feeling, but I guess this is what we'll have to do if we want live music for the foreseeable future.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Shakenbaker posted:

I'm watching the streamed Crowbar and Clutch show right now and this is honestly one of the weirdest things I've ever watched. Like, they sound good but nothing is loud enough and the whole thing is so...sterile I guess? There's no reaction or anything because there's obviously no crowd.

I'm not sure how many of these I can do because it's got a very uncanny valley feeling, but I guess this is what we'll have to do if we want live music for the foreseeable future.

from what I have experienced, live stream concerts are boring as gently caress because they are, as you said, too quiet, too sterile, or too 'we haven't had to set up our own gear for so long we forgot how to make it sound good'

i was pretty pumped for one a few weeks ago from a band i love and they hyped it a ton on their facebook/instagram and then when the time came they played 2 songs, both stripped back, with sound only coming out of the left speaker at maybe 1/4 of volume.

recordings of concerts with crowds from the before-time are still heaps good though. Chunky Shrapnel from King gizzard and the lizard wizard was awesome to watch (my friends and I all streamed it simultaneously and had a group chat going which was kinda fun)

Im probably going to have a sensory overload the first band i get to go see live again :(

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Speaking of boston I unknowingly stayed in a rock and roll themed hotel in boston that had this

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Ingmar terdman posted:

Speaking of boston I unknowingly stayed in a rock and roll themed hotel in boston that had this

What is that? Rungs up the RnR HOF?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Deaths by decade.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Towel rack to heaven

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
The new Valkyrie album is groovy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tr83PAJVxA

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Shakenbaker posted:

Yeah, it's definitely a more muted experience. Kvelertak's concert was pretty good but that clearly had way more money put into it. But it's hard to not feel like you're watching a sound check.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

Deaths by decade.

Really love their optimism that the hotel is gonna be around in its current form until at least the 30s

This album was in my room and I thought it was pretty good, precursor to Upsidedown Cross

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWSr4NlPqEc

Snowy posted:

Towel rack to heaven

hell yeah, I have a picture of me climbing the thing in their zebra print hotel robe but thats an only fans exclusive

I won't bother everyone with all of the other goofy music puns on all the amenities, but some of the old posters and boston memorabilia were interesting. Weird lack of Boston (band) though

e:

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 28, 2020

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

2 second horror be like i saw my daughters murderer...BC I LOOKED IN A MIRROR!!!!!!!!!

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
oh, okay, guess the Boston chat is done? i was hoping that would somehow segue into, like, doom-rear end English folk music or something

anyway, my coworker suggested that our musical theme for today would be songs with names in the title, so for every "Martha, My Dear" or "Roxanne," they got Church of Misery or a grindcore song about like Heinrich Himmler or Vlad the Impaler. it ruled.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

funkybottoms posted:

oh, okay, guess the Boston chat is done? i was hoping that would somehow segue into, like, doom-rear end English folk music or something

anyway, my coworker suggested that our musical theme for today would be songs with names in the title, so for every "Martha, My Dear" or "Roxanne," they got Church of Misery or a grindcore song about like Heinrich Himmler or Vlad the Impaler. it ruled.

Allman Bros King Diamond Melissa double header natch

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

funkybottoms posted:

You could also have had a grindcore band playing doom with Pig Destroyer's Natasha.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

big scary monsters posted:

You could also have had a grindcore band playing doom with Pig Destroyer's Natasha.

Pig Destroyer's song Jennifer would've been better

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

big scary monsters posted:

i played them last week when the theme was animals; i was having too much fun with serial killers and mass murderers as it was

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Wynonas Big Brown Beaver by Primus.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.

Laserface posted:

Wynonas Big Brown Beaver by Primus.

No.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ok, fine

Southbound Pachyderm by Primus.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Thinking of this great song for no reason in particular

https://youtu.be/n3EZI-prm_M

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Henchman of Santa posted:

Deaths by decade.

Thanks. I couldn't really read any of the names initially. I studied it a bit more after your reply.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilslug post nice! The vice article about the singer is pretty sad.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

https://youtu.be/tHy1Bwp9vAE

Grin are pretty sick.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Two Minutes to Late Night at it again ...
truly doing the lord's work in these weird rear end times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wpKP72YE0s

This time covering the Kate Bush stone cold classic "Running up that Hill."

I could see this as a weird/difficult song to cover while trying to cross genres. Here, the vocals (Emma Ruth Rundle nails it) are pretty solid but at times it feels like they're forcing the metal.

Still, if you want to see dude from Mastodon looking old, the bassist from Yob and his pantry, and the drummer from Old Man Gloom kill it then go ahead and click.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 1, 2020

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Billy Butterslax is somehow ageless imo.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Inter Arma just dropped another track from their covers album on streaming services.

https://open.spotify.com/album/4Ij2r35R2dBTFfDfctLqac?si=16dyKWDrRUKCD6lantaMNA

https://music.apple.com/us/album/march-of-the-pigs/1507525103?i=1507525299

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

It's a supremely faithful "March of the Pigs." He skips the "alriiiiiiiiigh..T" at the end, but other than that there's nothing particular that says INTER ARMA covered this song. It's a solid cover, but if I hadn't known who it was going into it I would have assumed any number of random fierce metal acts.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

those 2 new Old Man Gloom records are really good

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

as a NIN fan this is supremely sick.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

those 2 new Old Man Gloom records are really good

IX > VIII. VIII seems more experimental and filler to me. IX has some crushing tracks on it.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

IX > VIII. VIII seems more experimental and filler to me. IX has some crushing tracks on it.

Agreed. Both are good, but IX is better overall. Those last two tracks are one hell of a way to end that album.

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010
Any Morgion love in the thread? I've been obsessed with their albums for the past 2-3 weeks again. Cloaked by Ages, Crowned in Earth is really just a fantastic album by all means.

Also anyone playing doom need a bassist for an online project by chance?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Just a reminder that Bandcamp is waiving their share of the revenue today, with a bunch of artists then donating proceeds to COVID or justice reform causes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
Thou released Blessings of the Highest Order. It's a collection of all their Nirvana covers over the years. Always been a fan of the Nirvana comps they've put together. Milk it cover is aces.

https://open.spotify.com/album/1SRMNzbn0CbHpSSJJN5KpA?si=2P17Jp-BSaqI9a72yZFu9g