Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Jokes? Where did you go jokes? I get enough non jokes for a lifetime literally anywhere else. Come back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea unsurprisingly maxfun's token minority show cares more that the rich lady (who has said tons of lovely anti-black stuff, woops) got her feelings kinda hurt by someone way less powerful than her than they do about actual problems.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
should have replaced this week's TAZ with a friends at the table or something instead

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
vote for joe biden, the guy who literally today said his solution was to tell cops to shoot people in the leg not the chest and who wrote the crime bill that lead to all this overpolicing, because otherwise the weird rich freak who tried to start a twitter fight with a black child may get called kinda a hack.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

maximum fun is almost certainly all neoliberals that are very sincerely voting for joe biden

Blockhouse posted:

should have replaced this week's TAZ with a friends at the table or something instead

i've always had the sense that austin doesn't love the mcelroys but i'm not sure if it's just because of the nick situation before griffin found out

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

inferis posted:

maximum fun is almost certainly all neoliberals that are very sincerely voting for joe biden

i've always had the sense that austin doesn't love the mcelroys but i'm not sure if it's just because of the nick situation before griffin found out

He's shouted out griffin before and I'm pretty sure they did a panel together once

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I can't even make it through the Maxfun ads for Minority Korner without skipping, it sounds dreadful.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Who shot ya I remember being pretty good

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Who shot ya I remember being pretty good

Yea it's a p solid movie podcast. I check it out whenever they're talking about a movie I've seen or am interested in seeing.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

For a second after checking my feed I thought the new MBMBaM episode was titled "Minority Korner" and I was verrrrry concerned

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

AndrewP posted:

For a second after checking my feed I thought the new MBMBaM episode was titled "Minority Korner" and I was verrrrry concerned

McElroy's cancelled after some VERY problematic 'voice work'.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

they should repost glass shark

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

https://twitter.com/McElroyFamily/status/1268235138942545920

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

pre-100 is still the funniest McElroy era, don't @ me

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

inferis posted:

they should repost glass shark

I lay on my deathbed. Barely able to muster the strength to lift my finger to beckon the priest to bring his ear to me.

The last breaths of my life slip past my vocal cords.

"glass shark wasn't racist..."

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

the biggest problem with every post-balance season of taz is that the mcelroys have gotten it into their heads that they need some kind of dramatic overarching plot instead of an excuse to improv the dumbest possible poo poo in a series of bizarro, fantastical locales

let the chips fall where they may for the first dozen episodes and then decide what kind of final confrontation makes sense given everything the players have expressed interest in

e: i absolutely do not give a poo poo about argo keene's mom or whatever because it's always an interruption to the action and never works in facilitation of it

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 3, 2020

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Yeah. I think they really need an actual dungeon master guide them through it.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Rude Tales does that well. There is an overarching plot kinda - the school disappeared. Which is (so far) just a means to go to interesting locales with mostly one-off NPCs for them to be funny with.

I like it because it gives them a purpose but I don't really have to remember anyone except a few people.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I've fell behind on my TAZ but every gaming podcast i've got into has a clear enough arc. Let the players goof about so you start to care about the characters. Then gradually bring in the plot now you care about them.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I think Travis did try to do that by giving them a couple easy early missions to go on. The group doesn't seem all that interested in goofing though, even the players have a very different vibe to early Balance. It's not just a Travis thing.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

the mcelroys saw the response to stolen century/the ending of balance and concluded that people want solo adventures that are weighty and dramatic from the start rather than earning our affection through arcs of just being goofy and developing the characters

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Colonel Whitey posted:

I think Travis did try to do that by giving them a couple easy early missions to go on. The group doesn't seem all that interested in goofing though, even the players have a very different vibe to early Balance. It's not just a Travis thing.

It really does feel that way, doesn't it? But it's not for lack of trying, like that one time Argo proposed serving a subpoena to a cave monster and they all ran with it. There are definitely jokes happening, but the vibe is different in a way I can't quite pin down.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Soup du Jour posted:

the mcelroys saw the response to stolen century/the ending of balance and concluded that people want solo adventures that are weighty and dramatic from the start rather than earning our affection through arcs of just being goofy and developing the characters

But nothing's happening that is weighty and dramatic. Solo, sure, but until this episode there was no attempt to really be dramatic or like...anything. I don't think you can blame the end of Balance for the way Graduation is going.

I also still think the boys shot themselves in the foot by having 2/3rds of the party want nothing to do with the school

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Soup du Jour posted:

i didn't care at all for the stolen century, tbqh. it was better than "the suffering game" but i miss light, goofy TAZ

Fred is on posted:

It really does feel that way, doesn't it? But it's not for lack of trying, like that one time Argo proposed serving a subpoena to a cave monster and they all ran with it. There are definitely jokes happening, but the vibe is different in a way I can't quite pin down.

the subpoena was funny and my only frustration is that Travis decided to go with "the monster is actually nice!" instead of it being a mindless abomination they couldn't talk into submission

Colonel Whitey posted:

i could be misremembering but i thought the early episodes went heavy on the idea that there was a secret conspiracy in the school that obviously was intended to be an overarching narrative

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 3, 2020

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

QuoProQuid posted:

i could be misremembering but i thought the early episodes went heavy on the idea that there was a secret conspiracy in the school that obviously was intended to be an overarching narrative

Yeah kinda but the players had plenty of opportunity to goof around. Not any less than Gerblins or Rockport.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Fred is on posted:

I think having the first arc of Balance be a pre-built tutorial mission helped because they didn’t have to worry about making GBS threads all over Griffin’s hard work in creating this elaborate fantasy campaign. And by the time Rockport hit their characters were already cemented as goofballs and Griffin was able to run with it. Travis built this world and story. If my brother came to me with a video game he made and wanted to play it with me my first instinct would not be to try to clip out of bounds and dick around.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

dirksteadfast posted:

If my brother came to me with a video game he made and wanted to play it with me my first instinct would not be to try to clip out of bounds and dick around.

Either you are an only child or you have a bizarre relationship with your brothers

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Either you are an only child or you have a bizarre relationship with your brothers

Yeah, on that very note I should run a campaign and get my sister to play. She would warp it inside out and burn it alive, most likely. Would be fun!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

QuoProQuid posted:

the subpoena was funny and my only frustration is that Travis decided to go with "the monster is actually nice!" instead of it being a mindless abomination they couldn't talk into submission

The monster he picked was specifically not a mindless abomniation

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

The ads for minority korner make it sound like some sort of generic feel good morning show about celebs but I get that it’s probably the closest thing on max fun to the sort of message they were wanting to send so I respect the gesture

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah that's pretty much exactly what it was

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

QuoProQuid posted:

The early episodes were extremely "here's a school environment, low stakes, let's have some goofs" except they didn't actually goof particularly hard so everyone just complained that it was slow and pointless. I think this arc was actually an explicit reaction to everyone reacting to Amnesty with "too deep/serious too soon," it just doesn't seem to have turned into anything special before it did get swept up into plot. It's really weird.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Organza Quiz posted:

The early episodes were extremely "here's a school environment, low stakes, let's have some goofs" except they didn't actually goof particularly hard so everyone just complained that it was slow and pointless. I think this arc was actually an explicit reaction to everyone reacting to Amnesty with "too deep/serious too soon," it just doesn't seem to have turned into anything special before it did get swept up into plot. It's really weird.

I think one thing that helped the goof potential in Balance is that the arcs were clean-cut and usually had some easily-understood genre basis or premise that could work as a springboard for riffing. "Detective story on a train", "Fantasy Fast and the Furious", "Investigating a town stuck in a one-hour time loop", "A lab with goofy robots and such where something went terribly wrong". The premises in themselves were already pretty fun just on paper, and what the players did within them only elevated the material.

Then you have Amnesty, which I already remember only hazily. You had the... intro arc, the water monster arc, the one with doppelgangers? They met the Mothman and fought a tree, I guess? Then it was a drawn-out endgame?

And then there's Graduation, which has more clearly-defined arcs but the premises aren't entertaining in themselves. "Intervening in some kind of union dispute, I guess, and there's a monster in a mine", "Basic hack & slash themed after a pun Travis came up with while delirious with sleep deprivation after his second child's birth", "Intervening in a conflict between centaurs over a magic apple". And that's about it.

But why couldn't have Mission: Imp Hospital riffed on spy movie tropes, to give a point to the "Mission" part of its title? Give Argo a magic watch with built-in gadgets he'll never use, have Fitzroy need to rappel through a convoluted laser grid, find an excuse for the Fir Bolg to wear a tuxedo. The centaur/apple of discord thing is vaguely inspired by Greek mythology, but why stop there? Why not have a pantheon of bickering dieties be involved, turning people into spiders over minor slights? Have an NPC pitch an infiltration plan involving a giant wooden horse (which the players can then make fun of)? Have an invincible villain whose weak spot is probably their ankle? Those ideas could all be comedy gold in the McElroys' hands, but instead there's... an unhelpful wizard? Centaurs with saturday morning cartoon personalities? A generic forest spirit?

My impression is that they don't just want to be more "serious", they also want to stop using pop culture as a storytelling crutch and instead do their own thing. Unfortunately, their own thing is not nearly as ripe for comedy.

But anyway, the Besties is also on break this week:

https://twitter.com/thebestiespod/status/1268538413633937413

How's that one, for people who gave it a listen?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Amnesty also had clearly defined arcs and a genre basis, and I also don't think every arc has to be a blatant parody of a specific type of story to be funny. If anything that's a good way of making sure you run out of room real quick. "Giving Argo a spy watch" wouldn't have improved anything.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think part of it was that starting with Amnesty, the arcs weren't specifically labeled anymore, which combined with the consistent location and cast, causes them to kinda blend together.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

Amnesty also had clearly defined arcs and a genre basis, and I also don't think every arc has to be a blatant parody of a specific type of story to be funny. If anything that's a good way of making sure you run out of room real quick. "Giving Argo a spy watch" wouldn't have improved anything.

Clint's delight at having a spy watch would have absolutely improved something.

I don't know, I think everyone's got a theory on Why Graduation Doesn't Work and, while I haven't been as down on it as everyone else I also haven't felt the urgent need to listen to any of the past four episodes. My guess is that it's that they fell prey to the thing that a lot of creative people do after a bona fide big hit; they try to replicate something that happened organically, and it turns out to be almost impossible to do. This, more than Amnesty even (and I liked Amnesty a lot, for all that it had some real flaws too), is their troubled second album.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

And overall, they have something around 40-60 minutes every two weeks to issue course correction, so if they are learning/improving, it's always going to seem like it's taking a long time.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Plan Z posted:

And overall, they have something around 40-60 minutes every two weeks to issue course correction, so if they are learning/improving, it's always going to seem like it's taking a long time.

Yeah. It can't be any an easy instant fix because it wasn't a bad creative idea that can just be reversed or rewritten. It is a lack of skill at the medium that will need incremental improvements.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

lmao Counsellor Troi is going off on LMM and it rules

https://twitter.com/Marina_Sirtis/status/1268616519908352003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Tears In A Vial posted:

lmao Counsellor Troi is going off on LMM and it rules

https://twitter.com/Marina_Sirtis/status/1268616519908352003

When you destroy the most beloved EGOT winner of all time so effectively that he deletes the tweet.