Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Pham Nuwen posted:

This sounds pretty much par for the course on any vehicle made after about 2000.

Wow the nazis were so advanced we didn't reach their levels of vehicle engineering in the US until 2000 and later model Chevy and GMC cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Who would win: one Deutsch! panzer vi or one crusty chevy malibu boi

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The word “silver” and the phrase heated modding moment reminded me- wasn’t there a mod, silver something, who got so mad about the continued existence of the (excellent) ask/tell Military History thread that they decided to get themselves banned by posting some insanely gross pictures?

SilverSliver. I remember being around for her getting demodded and permabanned, which also happened to be around the time Aatrek got kicked to the curb if I recall correctly.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Wes Warhammer posted:

SilverSliver. I remember being around for her getting demodded and permabanned, which also happened to be around the time Aatrek got kicked to the curb if I recall correctly.

Yesss, that was the username. That was gonna drive me insane.

IIRC, the chain of events was
1)Gassed the Military History thread because she didn’t like the subject matter, even though it’s a really well written thread with literal PhD’s writing in it.
2)Got called out for that
3)Posted weird bestiality poo poo in either GBS or QCS and got perma’d and demodded.

Is that accurate or is my brain smooshing things together?

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Specifically a girl licking a dog's butthole lol

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

1)Gassed the Military History thread because she didn’t like the subject matter, even though it’s a really well written thread with literal PhD’s writing in it.
3)Posted weird bestiality poo poo in either GBS or QCS and got perma’d and demodded.

Her permaban is ~page 21 on the list of permabans for bestiality, but it links to a fyad thread about brojo where I'm not sure if its a fyad "culture" thread or everyone is just ripping into her for being a tool.

It's kind of a pattern of a mod deciding which relatively normal threads are "wrong content" and/or gassing/probating every poster objecting or taking issue with their opinions later then getting outed as a massive a-hole or burning their account to the ground in a fit of anger.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Speaking of permabans, does anyone happen to know what the ratio of permabans is for mods? It is funny to be checking out an old perma for someone and then find out that the requesting mod was later permad, which seems to happen quite a bit.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Outside of archive.org we don't really have a record of old mods. I can think of 6. Surely there are countless others who were mods in the first 15 years of the site's existence who I simply don't remember.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Outside of archive.org we don't really have a record of old mods. I can think of 6. Surely there are countless others who were mods in the first 15 years of the site's existence who I simply don't remember.

Even as someone who remembers a few high flyers like Aatrek and Hondarider27 the vast majority must be people who took it on, did it for a while, then got bored/frustrated/tired and stepped down. Dr. Eldarion is like the OG but all he does is post about stuff on sale so no one has ever feuded with him in almost 20 years.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwq5K-EK8Pc

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Hey everyone! I don't wanna yell at anyone while I'm all tired and about to lay down for bed, so now I'm rested and ready to type. My guess is that all of you pretty much think I don't spend any time thinking about the kind of probations I hand out, but I really actually really really do. I've been your moderator for about 22 months now, and this entire time I've been working on this post I'm posting right now, sort of like a state of the address or something, or like a supreme court opinion on adtrw. Anyway, onto the meat of the matter, I feel that alot of you are being too hard on Japan, the writing doesn't deserve the constant derision it receives because it's not terrible, it's just mediocre. If you're being too hard on shows for being just medocore then you're sort of going to be driving away our main clientele, which as a moderator is my top priority to protect. I know tokyo ghoul or tomo-chan or franxx or whatever is mediocre to all of you but people coming here from crunchyroll and reddit are not going to enjoy a wall of "It's terrible" if they're here to discuss their new favorite anime or manga. On the point of being too hard on japan, all of you know that japan has been through alot in the past century, and if satoshi kon's work is any indication into the goings on inside japan and specifically the anime industry, then japan was pretty much like a sea of porcupines before the 2011 tsunami. I see such a dramatic change in the soul of anime because of the tsunami and I feel that kill la kill was an embodiement of that change. Love hina was filled with hope and ambition and stayed focused around those themes well into negima, but now anime is so filled with anger, and I think all of you need to relax a little with the negativity towards what is an isolated island nation trying to reach out to the world just because you thought their writing was lackluster. They were just annilihated by the most powerful tsunami we've ever seen and there wasn't a country in the world 1/10th as prepared for tsunamis as japan was, and then a nuclear meltdown followed and it's like an infected wound in the soul of japan. There is hope in anime still, but it's a nation in mourning, and in recovery, so just take it easy. There doesn't need to be a massive ban storm for you guys to get the picture because I know how much smarter all of you are than the rest of the forums and as an aside if you hadn't realized it yet, I'm not going to be flinging insults at anyone, ever, it's not who I want to be.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jun 3, 2020

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Phy posted:

Yeah, Cessna had a whole bunch of those posts in that thread, my favorite are this one-two punch: Nazi uniforms were literally designed to look good on film (but sucked to fight in.)

ahaha the one on the stahlhelm is amazing

Cessna posted:

No, sorry...

Here's how they were bad.

First and foremost, they weren't adjustable. No, really - you had to get one that was the right size for your head, like a hat. They came with 52, 54, 56, 58, 60, or 62 cm liners and corresponding shell sizes. You could not swap a different sized liner into a non-corresponding shell. Think that makes logistics easier?

Helmets were made in multiple stages with multiple mechanical presses. It took multiple individual presses to give the helmet its shape. These are WWI helmets, but the same process was followed in WWII:

There was no real assembly line - a worker would make one press, then put it on a pile. After the pile was high enough the next worker would take the helmets and carry them to the next press. This is confirmed by multiple photos of factories:

The edges were then press rolled by hand. They were also heat-tempered on the front of the helmet. This wasn't done with a huge industrial oven - there are photos of workers grabbing individual helmets with a big steel set of tongs and sticking them in an open furnace. Rivets for ventilation, the liner, and the chin strap were pressed in by hand. They were also spray-painted by hand, not on an assembly line.

After the helmets were painted they were given an individual paper wrapper to make sure the paint wasn't scuffed before it was issued. Think about that for a minute. Here are helmets being wrapped:

Each helmet had two decals (until 1940), again, applied by hand. If you've ever built a model airplane, imagine having to apply thousands of decals all day long:

The liner consisted of five leaf-springs wrapped with a leather liner which was, yes, sewn in by hand. This took a LOT of specialized labor. Here's a photo of a helmet liner. (Not my helmet, but I can take a photo of one of mine if anyone is interested.) You can see the rolled rim pretty well. See that stitching on the seam in the back? Done by hand.

Here's a Fallschirmjager/paratrooper's helmet. See that stitching across the liner? Hand sewn.

In contrast, an American/British/Russian helmet was hot-stamped. This made the helmet in one step and tempered it. Each step after that was automated, done by assembly line. And helmets had adjustable liners, so any soldier could wear them.

By 1942/3 the Germans stopped rolling the edges, dropped the decals, and simplified the manufacturing. Too little, too late.

Lord Garmadon
Jul 17, 2018

The word “silver” and the phrase heated modding moment reminded me- wasn’t there a mod, silver something, who got so mad about the continued existence of the (excellent) ask/tell Military History thread that they decided to get themselves banned by posting some insanely gross pictures?

pentyne posted:

Her permaban is ~page 21 on the list of permabans for bestiality, but it links to a fyad thread about brojo where I'm not sure if its a fyad "culture" thread or everyone is just ripping into her for being a tool.

It's kind of a pattern of a mod deciding which relatively normal threads are "wrong content" and/or gassing/probating every poster objecting or taking issue with their opinions later then getting outed as a massive a-hole or burning their account to the ground in a fit of anger.

I don't think QCS was a subforum yet back then. I don't know about whatever drama there might have been in Ask/Tell or the military history thread, but SilverSliver posted an outfit in one of the fitness or fashion forums, and the outfit looked like someone had sat in a pile of yarn, which made a FYAD poster troll her by saying "it looks like you sat in a pile of yarn", and then she responded to it with a bestiality pic in FYAD.

Sid Vicious posted:

Specifically a girl licking a dog's butthole lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDgOlC7rHrg

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

There was one who was 14 and a mod of BTB I believe? The torrent forum? And got sent a bunch of money to buy a server and ran with it?
Also some underaged mod of D&D or something.
HELLO.JPG, kirtaner maybe? These were all some poo poo I didn't care about when I joined cause I just like the pet forum and car forum.

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

Charles posted:

There was one who was 14 and a mod of BTB I believe? The torrent forum? And got sent a bunch of money to buy a server and ran with it?
Also some underaged mod of D&D or something.
HELLO.JPG, kirtaner maybe? These were all some poo poo I didn't care about when I joined cause I just like the pet forum and car forum.

kirtaner is the one that went on to make the drug *chan, right?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

weed cat posted:

kirtaner is the one that went on to make the drug *chan, right?

saclopedia says 420chan.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

I know the Leper's Colony doesn't go back all the way to the start of the forums, but I assume you could get all the unique usernames based on the requester and approver columns. Obviously that'd include IKs too, and miss anyone who had the buttons but never used them, but it'd be a good start if you were so inclined.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

lol

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
no one was ever able to figure out why matoi ryuko was the mod of byob for a while

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Buttcoin purse posted:

I know the Leper's Colony doesn't go back all the way to the start of the forums, but I assume you could get all the unique usernames based on the requester and approver columns. Obviously that'd include IKs too, and miss anyone who had the buttons but never used them, but it'd be a good start if you were so inclined.
This is a really good solution I should have thought of.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

lol, just lol

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Haven't the ADTRW mods in general been stable and well adjusted human beings? I can't think of a single one that ended up doing something like a Aatrek or Loosechanj, the respective TV and Book forum mods.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

pentyne posted:

Haven't the ADTRW mods in general been stable and well adjusted human beings? I can't think of a single one that ended up doing something like a Aatrek or Loosechanj, the respective TV and Book forum mods.

It’s a goon saga to pretend that anime is 100% pedo poo poo that no one normal would ever ever like a single example of

When of course, that’s Star Trek

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

pentyne posted:

refresh my memory on loosechanj - i cannot imagine drama in a book forum but then again it's the internet so yes i can

The New York Times
Mar 2, 2013

Call
1-800-NYTIMES for FREE home delivery
Is there a Star Trek anime yet?

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

weed cat posted:

refresh my memory on loosechanj - i cannot imagine drama in a book forum but then again it's the internet so yes i can

Something about loosechanj being very weird about being attracted to goons on some sort of facebook-lite for SA. There was a summary called "loosechanj.png" and it took bringing that up to Lowtax to perma them.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

weed cat posted:

There is drama in the book forum all the time, I'm not gonna link any because that's just inviting people to relitigate but it usually is "x" problematic or are you a dumb baby for reading "y" type stuff.

A Bystander posted:

Something about loosechanj being very weird about being attracted to goons on some sort of facebook-lite for SA. There was a summary called "loosechanj.png" and it took bringing that up to Lowtax to perma them.
They didn't get permad for it.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 4, 2020

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Every time someone posts that I find that I had once again forgotten just how revolting it is.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The New York Times posted:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The New York Times posted:

Only in the 70s bro. Watch TAS.

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

Hub Cat posted:

There is drama in the book forum all the time, I'm not gonna link any because that's just inviting people to relitigate but its usually is "x" problematic or are you a dumb baby for reading "y" type stuff.

They didn't get permad for it.

ohhhh yeah I remember this. AYB, awful yearbook. i remember i used to follow a couple on twitter who met there.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Hell he was modded after/during this and stayed a mod until someone finally posted this image in a lowtax thread and he finally demodded and banned him

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
imho there should be a general drama/meltdown thread. optimally pinned

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Ariong posted:

Every time someone posts that I find that I had once again forgotten just how revolting it is.

“Your friend’s arm is hot”, in the middle of all that being a loving creep, made me lol

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

pentyne posted:

page 21 on the list of permabans for bestiality

The New York Times
Mar 2, 2013

Call
1-800-NYTIMES for FREE home delivery

Pick posted:

Only in the 70s bro. Watch TAS.

I didn’t say animated :colbert:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Part of that site was to try and make funny comments and get upvotes, and there were also contests. Don't remember if there was a creep of the year award.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Kurnugia posted:

imho there should be a general drama/meltdown thread. optimally pinned

We used to have pyf probes and bans but it kept getting derailed and closed indefinitely years ago. Basically it was that though.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

UCS Hellmaker posted:

We used to have pyf probes and bans but it kept getting derailed and closed indefinitely years ago. Basically it was that though.

As a frequent flyer for that issue I can confidently say there is no way a drama thread won't be a mod nightmare and probably descend into chaos on a daily basis as people take their poo poo stirring into that thread from everywhere else on the forums.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

pentyne posted:

As a frequent flyer for that issue I can confidently say there is no way a drama thread won't be a mod nightmare and probably descend into chaos on a daily basis as people take their poo poo stirring into that thread from everywhere else on the forums.

just seal it up and watch through the glass walls to see the carnage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

RFC2324 posted:

just seal it up and watch through the glass walls to see the carnage

There's a precedent for letting that happen with LF and CSPAM; it's not great.