Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

KonvexKonkav posted:

I'm not blaming you, but I absolutely hate that any game that has random levels and permadeath is now called a rogue-like, it makes about as much sense as it would make calling Death Stranding a souls-like because it has asynchronous multiplayer and you have to play a bit carefully sometimes. The term should be reserved for games that actually play like the original Rogue like Nethack.

Also, Binding of Isaac sucks. It's looks and plays like a Newgrounds flash game. One of the worst games I've ever played.

those games are called rogue-lite. this is a solved issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

KonvexKonkav posted:

I'm not blaming you, but I absolutely hate that any game that has random levels and permadeath is now called a rogue-like, it makes about as much sense as it would make calling Death Stranding a souls-like because it has asynchronous multiplayer and you have to play a bit carefully sometimes. The term should be reserved for games that actually play like the original Rogue like Nethack.

Also, Binding of Isaac sucks. It's looks and plays like a Newgrounds flash game. One of the worst games I've ever played.

I agree with this whole post. Although I think these games refer to themselves as "roguelites" because their developers know they're just making a quick game with roguelike elements. Binding of Isaac barely even feels like a roguelike, it feels more like Gauntlet to me lol. I think it's the real time aspect of it, feels very arcadey.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I could swear Binding of Isaac literally originally was a Newgrounds Flash game, or at least was made by someone who made them.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Binding of Isaac sucks because it's 9 years old and was one of the first big rogue-lites and the genre has come so far since then. Like why would anyone play that now when games like Dead Cells and Risk of Rain 2 exist?

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

is pepsi ok posted:

Binding of Isaac sucks because it's 9 years old and was one of the first big rogue-lites and the genre has come so far since then. Like why would anyone play that now when games like Dead Cells and Risk of Rain 2 exist?

Because dead cells is a Metroidvania and risk of rain is a first person shooter? Just because they share procedural generation doesn't make them comparable, even nuclear throne and enter the gungeon are pretty different from Isaac

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Risk of Rain is definitely not a FPS, nor is its sequel. It's more roguelike than any other game that you mentioned.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Binding of Issac is 100% my desert island game

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

jokes posted:

Risk of Rain is definitely not a FPS, nor is its sequel. It's more roguelike than any other game that you mentioned.

Risk of Rain 2 pal

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Oh sorry is it in third person?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
pfft the best rogue-lite is Rogue Legacy. it perfected the genre and there was no need to make improvements after that

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Rutibex posted:

pfft the best rogue-lite is Rogue Legacy. it perfected the genre and there was no need to make improvements after that

We don't joke about that

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Risk of Rain is a side-scroller, Risk of Rain 2 is apparently third person.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Difficulty options in games are stupid. Games should have a single balanced path of resistance and I shouldn't really be able to deviate from that.

i'm the opposite, i think games should let you break them mechanically if it pleases you. like yes there's a clear linearly balanced route with a regular amount of challenge but if you want you can feel free to get 200-400% stronger than the game expects you to be because gently caress why not? some players are into that. and from the opposite end you ought to be able to cut a certain amount of corners if you like but no crying when you show up to the final boss with half as much health as you're intended to have, and take twice as much damage as you're intended to receive

and let the player go full star ocean too where they can kill the final boss in one hit by taking damage from him (yes, you read that right)

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I could swear Binding of Isaac literally originally was a Newgrounds Flash game, or at least was made by someone who made them.

you might be thinking of alien something-or-other, which started as a flash game on newgrounds but was later ported to the ps2. it probably did well enough there also because the devs went on to make castle crashers i think?

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jun 3, 2020

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

The original binding of Isaac runs in flash I'm not sure if it was ever hosted on newgrounds but McMillen was super active there and most of his old games like spewer are hosted there

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

The only good rogue-like is Nethack

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Risk of Rain 2 is pretty good and people should buy it.

Engineer is too easy and makes me lazy.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Shibawanko posted:

for example: halo becomes more fun on legendary mode, because while halo is a kind of stupid, bro-ey xbox game, the combat itself is actually well designed and highly dependent on player input and skill. bioshock on the other hand has a hard mode where the bullet sponge enemies just become spongier and harder to hit. this hard mode sucks because bioshock sucks and its combat just requires a player to go through the motions and deal with a certain degree of randomness, factors which only become more severe when you turn up the difficulty dial

there should be an established canon of quality videogames that every schoolchild should play

Halo is definitely more fun on Heroic and Legendary. In Normal it's an easy, mindless slogfest and you can just plow into any battles. On higher difficulties you have to actively be aware of your actions at all times and use cover and other tactics. However, I wouldn't agree that harder modes = usually more fun. It seems to be pretty hit or miss overall. On some games, normal still feels like training wheels mode, on others, normal can get difficult. Ori, for whatever reason, is the only game I've played where I had to drop down to easy mode and still found it challenging.

Also, time is a factor. It takes like three times longer for an average player to beat a Halo level on legendary, for example. "Normal" should be "what presents a reasonable challenge to the average player but won't make them repeat sequences 10 times?"

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Sid Vicious posted:

The original binding of Isaac runs in flash I'm not sure if it was ever hosted on newgrounds but McMillen was super active there and most of his old games like spewer are hosted there

BoI’s original demo was on Newgrounds I think.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Dewgy posted:

BoI’s original demo was on Newgrounds I think.

There you have it

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I guess I hadn't realized that being able to pick out games that are clearly based off Newgrounds Flash really dates me, as does knowledge of Newgrounds generally.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i love roguelikes but i just really dont want to play a gross out game about a monkeycheese fetus

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

The only good rogue-like game is Nethack

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

There are no good games in 2020 that play in an ascii terminal

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

dwarf fortress is a good game and you should play it in ascii like a real man

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Shibawanko posted:

dwarf fortress is a good game and you should play it in ascii like a real man

dwarf fortress has always been very interesting but never a good game

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sodomy Hussein posted:

dwarf fortress has always been very interesting but never a good game

Dwarf Fortress is like Space Station 13. Fun to read about, impossible to play unless it tickles your brain juuuuust right.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Dwarf Fortress is a tool for assistance in making interesting youtube videos or posts. its not a game

Rimworld is a game. maybe the best

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Thing is game publishers these days are terrified that any segment of their audience won't even see the content they put so much money into making, so they try to drag the player to the credits by any means necessary.

More the problem is devs can't form any consensus on what difficulty settings should be. With most AAA games the hard to hardest starting difficulty is the only one that actually takes off the training wheels, while with say, Platinum games, the Normal difficulty starts ramping up HARD later on.

It's a legitimate concern but also a war that is already lost. If achievements existed when Pong was released, we'd find something absurd like only 60% of players ever make it past scoring a single point. If your entire videogame lasted five minutes max, and there was no way to lose, I bet only 2/3rds of them would finish it. I really don't think difficulty has all that much to do with how few game purchasers will ever get into any particular game they buy.

More importantly, the real "difficulty" has so much less to do with the actual game variables and specifics than it just does the basic mode of play. 3D FPS with thumbsticks is hardmode, period. We're obviously all totally groovy and good at it and need things to make it interesting because we've done it so goddamn much across videogames for decades. Hand a rando your kbm or controller for a game like Prey and the problem will never be that the monster had too much health or did too much damage, it will be that the user doesn't have the muscle memory and vg-xp to handle walking, aiming, and camera management at the same time cohesively.

Past that hurdle, sometimes it's also just pointless for a game to be harder. In some games, a enemy can be made harder by pumping up its numbers, but if that jump in difficulty doesn't actually require anything new from the player besides "takes longer/more resource" to kill, it's really just wasting your time. Fail states also can really break immersion, you can get sucked out of a games drama and story if you're dying every other minute to this or that "hard thing." Often these AAA games have no good reason to be much harder, it's just something some players expect and demand an option for so they provide it.

That said: I demand hardmode for Gone Home.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I liked Binding of Isaac for awhile when it came out, it felt like playing Zelda which was a pretty rare experience at the time, even the Nintendo releases in that genre had mostly gone 3D. There were other top-down perspective games but none managed to capture that feeling.

Once you clear Isaac a bunch the gambling mechanics make themselves clear. Those are why the game remained popular and gained so much word-of-mouth marketing, of course people are going to talk about a game that so successfully hits those pleasure buttons.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Dwarf Fortress isn't trying to be a good video game, it's outsider art that happens to be more interesting than most video games. Whoever thinks Rimworld is somehow a Dwarf Fortress substitute is absolutely missing the point.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Rimworld is what most people think dwarf fortress plays like, and that's okay.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Dwarf Fortress is like Space Station 13. Fun to read about, impossible to play unless it tickles your brain juuuuust right.

Same with Eve. I cannot stand playing them, but I love that they exist.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Eve Online is actually a game about substance abuse once you get past the tutorial

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Spelunky is the best rogue like and nothing is even close, that game is perfect.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

It was a huge shame that the FPS spinoff was both trash and a playstation exclusive, because the concept of being a hired thug for an Eve corporation was really cool, and that was around the time I was into battlefield style multiplayer games.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is Rimworld the one where you have a colony that always gets ruined?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

I'm not much of a trophy hunter in games at all, but I really hate that most games seemed to have ditched giving out trophies for playing on the hardest difficulty. it was always sort of satisfying seeing some trophy 90% of people didn't get pop, and now the only motivation to play on hard is your own masochism in most games. it was just fun to have a little way to brag about beating some game on the most ridiculous difficulty.

Overall I'd probably be more into trophies if they involved doing something challenging vs just checking boxes.

I laugh at your fate.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Caesar Saladin posted:

Spelunky is the best rogue like and nothing is even close, that game is perfect.

it has one flaw. its has not been ported to Nintendo Switch

Waltzing Along posted:

Is Rimworld the one where you have a colony that always gets ruined?

yes. you are not supposed to win Rimworld, just experience different and unique kinds of horrific colony failure

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

Rutibex posted:

yes. you are not supposed to win Rimworld, just experience different and unique kinds of horrific colony failure

X.. X-com?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Now that I think about it I never did destroy the rebel fleet in FTL on hard difficulty and only once on normal. But on easy I beat it plenty of times and had no regrets