Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Mister Kingdom posted:

Doug Demuro (yeah, I know) did a video on the panel van version of the HHR recently. How high was GM when they designed that?

The PT cruiser was selling huge numbers, so they stole the designer and made their own. Five years too late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

wallaka posted:

The PT cruiser was selling huge numbers, so they stole the designer and made their own. Five years too late.

Which is a shame, since the HHR is legitimately a better vehicle in nearly every measurable way. It was just the worst of GM huffing someone else’s farts.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Saying the HHR is better than the PT Cruiser is setting a pretty drat low bar. Every time I have to drive one at work it's like driving a pillbox on wheels, and the owners are always lovely customers too.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Yeah, I had an HHR as a rental for a few weeks after I totalled my Mustang, and pillbox or APC is right, it's like playing tank commander. I'm 6'4 and that's the only car that's had a beltline that makes forces my arm into and uncomfortable upward angle if I try to rest it in the window.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Mister Kingdom posted:

Doug Demuro (yeah, I know) did a video on the panel van version of the HHR recently. How high was GM when they designed that?

Not just the panel van, but the HHR SS panel van version. I had heard they made them when they were new, but I didn't believe it; I'd be shocked if any more than a handful of the original 216 survived.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 31, 2020

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
My first impression of that pile of poo poo was PT crapper front end, grafted on to a Jeep Liberty.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

Mister Kingdom posted:

About as high as anyone who would willingly watch a Doug Demuro video.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the HHR answered the question "what if we made the PT cruister, but actually sort of decent"

nobody had asked that question tho

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

antimatt posted:

I'll watch him if he reviews an interesting car. It's not always easy.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I rented one, and when I drove it onto the highway the sound I made was "hhhhrrr" all right

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

antimatt posted:

Spooky, I'm high and just got done watching one of his vids.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

MrYenko posted:

Which is a shame, since the HHR is legitimately a better vehicle in nearly every measurable way. It was just the worst of GM huffing someone else’s farts.

It's better than a PT, but brand new, they were piles of poo poo. Just like the PT. And they were a pain in the dick to work on. I tried to yank the throttle body off of a junkyard HHR when I hosed up the original throttle body on my Ion, and I noped the hell out of that real quick - I'm not even sure how the hell you'd replace the radiator fan without dropping the radiator and condenser out from the bottom. The fan was bad enough on my Ion (still had to come out from the bottom).

The only upside to them is when they land in a junkyard, their transmissions have a shorter final drive than anything else the same transmissions wound up in. Slight upgrade in 0-60 time if you toss one into, say, an Ion or Cavalier. Kinda like how dropping a 00-01 manual gearbox into a 93-99 manual Altima gives it a swift kick in the rear end (learned that one by accident when I wound up with a 01 gearbox for my 99...)

Elviscat posted:

Yeah, I had an HHR as a rental for a few weeks after I totalled my Mustang, and pillbox or APC is right, it's like playing tank commander. I'm 6'4 and that's the only car that's had a beltline that makes forces my arm into and uncomfortable upward angle if I try to rest it in the window.

That's the norm for every Delta platform car (in the US, that's the Cobalt, Saturn Ion, Pontiac G4, G5, and Pursuit, Chevy HHR, Saturn Astra.... the list is too long). My Ion was the same way, though I'm quite a bit shorter.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jun 1, 2020

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

antimatt posted:

Oh come on now, he's not that bad. It's like watching my dad review a car, except we're the same age. I personally prefer RCR though.

Joe Mama fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 2, 2020

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Doug is goofy but in a sort of dumb dad way. I don't mind him but I can definitely see how he could annoy some people.

I've sort of fallen off RCR because he occasionally gets way too up his own rear end and I get incel vibes from Roman.

Also if you watch his POV drives he has a tendency to cut people off in conversation and generally isn't a great listener. Also doesn't rev match.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Spotted this earlier at a stop light, had to grab a picture

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Not sure who the failure is here.

https://i.imgur.com/Wq7aSmE.mp4

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

toplitzin posted:

This has to be some sort of comedy skit.....is it? :ohdear:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

toplitzin posted:

Why the gently caress would you be replacing relatively ok factory hubcaps with those lovely aftermarket ones?

Oh boy removing the wheel nuts while the car is on the ground as well...

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

you can get spinner hubcaps, that's a great reason to upgrade

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

toplitzin posted:

Not the wheel cover.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

LifeSunDeath posted:

you can get spinner hubcaps, that's a great reason to upgrade
I used to see these all the time at my local Wal-Mart but I wanted to get a set to throw on my winter wheels for fun and can't find them anymore.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

wolrah posted:

I used to see these all the time at my local Wal-Mart but I wanted to get a set to throw on my winter wheels for fun and can't find them anymore.

My dad once wanted to get a set of those to put on my mom's car as a prank while she was out of town. Unfortunately she had nice alloy wheels so it kinda fell through.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

toplitzin posted:

If it won’t come off, the obvious answer is always to pull/pry harder, rather than stop and think about why it’s not working.
This is the same style of operation that our current administration applies. And what for them into office in the first place. Don’t think, just double down.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
I've gained a new respect for Ford hubcaps and the amount of abuse they can withstand.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

I've gained a new respect for Ford hubcaps and the amount of abuse they can withstand.

vs Nissan hubcaps, which will explode into shrapnel if you touch them on the wrong day.

I loving hate those "silver" plastic shits anyway, so I took the opportunity to throw them all away and just go with black steel wheels.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

They put all the structural rigidity into the hubcaps, everything else is made of glass.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Also noticed that's a rather stylized steel wheel underneath. Most steelies I've seen look like this:

I'd almost be tempted to keep those covers off and just sand, paint and clearcoat the wheel itself.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

90s Solo Cup posted:

Also noticed that's a rather stylized steel wheel underneath. Most steelies I've seen look like this:

I'd almost be tempted to keep those covers off and just sand, paint and clearcoat the wheel itself.

I think even those basic steel wheels look better than any of those plastic covers.
That's the look I rock on the Saab in the winter with snow tires.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Ah memories of the day when you knew where to avoid a large pothole and a kind home owner would have 5-6 hubcaps on display next to the road for others.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

nadmonk posted:

I think even those basic steel wheels look better than any of those plastic covers.

I rocked basic black steelies on my Peugeot in the winter, I like that look with the tires proud of the wheels. It looks more rough and ready than a set of shiny alloys.

I even had little black center caps to protect the hubs.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

90s Solo Cup posted:

Same here, I've seen a lot of those around on Fusions & thought someone just sprayed the alloy wheels black

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Several of GM's cars have similar 5-spoke steelies. The both look better with the matching hubcap, since you can't see the wheel underneath, for the most part, and when the hubcap inevitably skives off to parts unknown.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

nadmonk posted:

My 86 Crown Vic definitely looked better with the covers (featuring fake wire spokes) off. The Volvo 164 looked great with hubcaps on or off, but I kept them off because I didn't want to lose one on the road.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Darchangel posted:

Several of GM's cars have similar 5-spoke steelies. The both look better with the matching hubcap, since you can't see the wheel underneath, for the most part, and when the hubcap inevitably skives off to parts unknown.

The wife’s old Traverse had them. The illusion was so good I didn’t know they weren’t alloys until she hit a curb and scraped one of them up. I guess because they’re painted instead of being plain plastic and fit really tightly to the steel.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

My 86 Crown Vic definitely looked better with the covers (featuring fake wire spokes) off. The Volvo 164 looked great with hubcaps on or off, but I kept them off because I didn't want to lose one on the road.

Fake wires are rarely an improvement, though some of the '70s and '80s wire covers on luxury vehicles were surprisingly heavy and convincing.

wallaka posted:

The wife’s old Traverse had them. The illusion was so good I didn’t know they weren’t alloys until she hit a curb and scraped one of them up. I guess because they’re painted instead of being plain plastic and fit really tightly to the steel.

I can deal with wheel covers when they're as well-done as that.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

My coworker's Polo GTI is burning oil like a rotary engine. According to the internet that's normal because VW have deemed it so. :gonk:

Poor guy didn't even realize it wasn't normal to top up your oil so often or at all even.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

RillAkBea posted:

My coworker's Polo GTI is burning oil like a rotary engine. According to the internet that's normal because VW have deemed it so. :gonk:

Poor guy didn't even realize it wasn't normal to top up your oil so often or at all even.

I had a 2006 GTI and it would burn oil like crazy. Also if I took hard right turns the oil light would come on. Never had problems with the engine over 10 years, but every time I went in to get an oil change they would tell me it was nearly bone dry.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
On the plus side, you never need to change your oil, because the engine is constantly doing it for you.

Don't do this

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Just like kastein I did that too for the last years of my Saturn. If I've got to add a quart every 1000 miles anyway what's the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

LifeSunDeath posted:

I had a 2006 GTI and it would burn oil like crazy. Also if I took hard right turns the oil light would come on. Never had problems with the engine over 10 years, but every time I went in to get an oil change they would tell me it was nearly bone dry.

Probably the same FSI engine I had in my Passat wagon, I had the same problems. Not an insane amount of oil consumption but I definitely checked it regularly and kept a bottle in the trunk. Going home from work I have an awesome right hand two-lane 270* interstate on-ramp and I regularly got the oil pressure warning if it was low and I went around it hard.