Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

tuyop posted:

Evernote web clipper is awesome.

Thanks, I completely forgot Evernote existed but it's ideal for what I want.

Dick Nipples posted:

It's pricey but I've used DEVONthink for this workflow for years. There are a few others out there but none that have great iOS support from what I recall.

I took a look at this too but it's probably overkill for my needs - seems thorough though. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Any recommendations for a decent scanning app? I need to email some documents in a hurry.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Fruits of the sea posted:

Any recommendations for a decent scanning app? I need to email some documents in a hurry.

readdle’s “scanner pro” is good. there is also a free version called “scanner mini” but idk what it’s missing

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
You can scan in the Notes app now, and it's probably good enough for most purposes. As far as I can tell, though, Notes doesn't let you easily adjust the processing it does on the scans: it's just "Here are the 4 presets (color, b&w, greyscale, original photo) that are perfect for every use case. Enjoy." It looks like some apps are starting to integrate Apple's scanning (Notability's looks and works identically).

I use Scanner Pro out of pure momentum (I think I first bought it on my 4s) and it has a few sliders to let you adjust that processing. I've found that makes it a lot better in cases where you need to scan a lot of handwriting, especially on lined/graph paper.

I haven't tried anything other than those three.

If you're going to scan a lot of things, I've found that the most important thing isn't the app. The most important thing is your lighting and surface:
  • Dark surface for easy contrast; flat paper.
  • Phone/tablet directly above the paper.
  • A bright light source (ideally not too warm) that's not overhead, so your device doesn't cast a shadow
I had to do a lot of scanning last summer. Once I worked out a setup like that, I spent about one tenth of the time on each scan, maybe even less.

I had a goose-neck work lamp that I put a yard or so to the side of where the paper went. It was angled it to shine on the paper but underneath where I held the phone.

This kind of lamp, but imagine lowering the lamp a bit and sliding the paper to the left (and using a darker surface).

I would bet good money that if you can make a similar setup, the Notes app (or anything that uses the default scanner) would work just fine.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Thanks! That's awesome advice.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

hey girl you up posted:

You can scan in the Notes app now, and it's probably good enough for most purposes. As far as I can tell, though, Notes doesn't let you easily adjust the processing it does on the scans: it's just "Here are the 4 presets (color, b&w, greyscale, original photo) that are perfect for every use case. Enjoy." It looks like some apps are starting to integrate Apple's scanning (Notability's looks and works identically).

I use Scanner Pro out of pure momentum (I think I first bought it on my 4s) and it has a few sliders to let you adjust that processing. I've found that makes it a lot better in cases where you need to scan a lot of handwriting, especially on lined/graph paper.

I haven't tried anything other than those three.

If you're going to scan a lot of things, I've found that the most important thing isn't the app. The most important thing is your lighting and surface:
  • Dark surface for easy contrast; flat paper.
  • Phone/tablet directly above the paper.
  • A bright light source (ideally not too warm) that's not overhead, so your device doesn't cast a shadow
I had to do a lot of scanning last summer. Once I worked out a setup like that, I spent about one tenth of the time on each scan, maybe even less.

I had a goose-neck work lamp that I put a yard or so to the side of where the paper went. It was angled it to shine on the paper but underneath where I held the phone.

This kind of lamp, but imagine lowering the lamp a bit and sliding the paper to the left (and using a darker surface).

I would bet good money that if you can make a similar setup, the Notes app (or anything that uses the default scanner) would work just fine.

You would win that bet, I had that exact setup at the office back in the days of yore with dragons and offices.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Office Lens app has a passable scanner with skew correction.

Google Photoscan has a cool mode where you take 4 "photos" (in video mode) to get rid of glare from overhead lights. Works best for scanning glossies, obviously.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Scanner Pro also lets you fax from the app which is a godsend for the one time every 5 years you need to actually send a fax

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

~Coxy posted:

Office Lens app has a passable scanner with skew correction.

Google Photoscan has a cool mode where you take 4 "photos" (in video mode) to get rid of glare from overhead lights. Works best for scanning glossies, obviously.

Adobe Scan works pretty well for me.

The New York Times
Mar 2, 2013

Call
1-800-NYTIMES for FREE home delivery
Is there a way to get Bandcamp links to open in the Bandcamp app? I haven’t had any luck with Opener.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Froist posted:

I'd like a way to save web content for reference later, grouped into different projects and (ideally) saving the content as it is at that time, rather than just a URL where the content could change later. This is basically to minimise keeping browser tabs open that I research, find an answer but don't have time to do at that moment.

Not iOS, but if you’re serious about hanging onto a site/page, httrack is gold standard. Not pretty, though.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I think the premium version of Pocket does this.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Ditto premium Raindrop.io

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Froist posted:

I'd like a way to save web content for reference later, grouped into different projects and (ideally) saving the content as it is at that time, rather than just a URL where the content could change later. This is basically to minimise keeping browser tabs open that I research, find an answer but don't have time to do at that moment.

I'm sure there are a ton of apps/solutions out there for this - e.g. printing to PDF and saving into iBooks would work, but I'm assuming there would be nicer alternatives. I know there's apps like Pocket, but I already use that for longform articles I haven't got around to reading; this is more for saving recipes/tips/todo notes/ideas for various projects I'm working on.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Evernote. Notion. OneNote. Pocket. Diigo (iirc).

Notion does everything that I want it to.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

XBenedict posted:

Also Collected Notes.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

XBenedict posted:

I recorded an example of what the capture looks like. This was an article that I captured in 2014. This is Notion on my iPhone XR.

I believe I originally captured this through Evernote, but they work the same.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Native screenshots in Safari also now extract a fully scrolled PDF of a website. Don’t know when they added that but it kicks rear end.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

tuyop posted:

Native screenshots in Safari also now extract a fully scrolled PDF of a website. Don’t know when they added that but it kicks rear end.

Wait what?

Holy poo poo! When did that happen? Would've saved me so much time a couple of months back.

Violator
May 15, 2003

tuyop posted:

Where is the pdf saved? Not understanding. :(

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Violator posted:

Where is the pdf saved? Not understanding. :(

Take a screenshot and click on it to bring the screenshot editing screen. On the top you can toggle between screen and full-page. Select full page then click done and it’ll give you a prompt to save the PDF to Files. I imagine it defaults to some basic folder in local storage.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Did Apple change the requirement for sign in with apple? Finding some apps I wish had sign in with apple but they just have google and facebook. I thought they were requiring it as of this spring.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Take a screenshot and click on it to bring the screenshot editing screen. On the top you can toggle between screen and full-page. Select full page then click done and it’ll give you a prompt to save the PDF to Files. I imagine it defaults to some basic folder in local storage.

Holy poo poo, that’s terrific. The text is all selectable in the pdf too. Thanks for the info.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
What’s a good photo-based database app with tagging for specific items (e.g. clothes, collectibles)?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I don't mean to be that jerk but how is this different than selecting print to pdf?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Grassy Knowles posted:

I don't mean to be that jerk but how is this different than selecting print to pdf?

Does that not create arbitrary page breaks?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

tuyop posted:

Does that not create arbitrary page breaks?

I guess the phrasing is actually "Export as PDF..." from the file menu but otherwise, no, no page breaks.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Do you realize that you're posting in iOS Apps Megathread: Can HealthKit track my post count?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Holy crap that is amazing!

One long PDF!

I’m not sure when I’d ever use it but drat it’s nifty.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Alec Eiffel posted:

What’s a good photo-based database app with tagging for specific items (e.g. clothes, collectibles)?

Notion could do that.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

hey girl you up posted:

Do you realize that you're posting in iOS Apps Megathread: Can HealthKit track my post count?

I do not recognize that. Carry on

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Grassy Knowles posted:

Fair question. You can crop and annotate/draw prior to saving this way.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
What the hell google, my gmail no longer has dark mode :mad:

Is this some weird psychological experiment.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

priznat posted:

What the hell google, my gmail no longer has dark mode :mad:

Is this some weird psychological experiment.

Happened to me once and a full shutdown/reboot brought it back. YMMV.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

IllegallySober posted:

Nice, that did it thanks!

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

IllegallySober posted:

priznat posted:

Nice, that did it thanks!

Lol @ “just shutdown my phone to fix dark mode in this specific app maintained by one of the largest software companies on the planet”

:gary:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Qwality spelled with a K!

Violator
May 15, 2003

Anyone install the beta? Wondering what the new pull-down filters are like while browsing the Library in Music.

Edit: Saw it, is the same old poo poo when in comes to Sort options in Music.

Violator fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 23, 2020

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Violator posted:

Anyone install the beta? Wondering what the new pull-down filters are like while browsing the Library in Music.
It's just dev beta 1 now, huh? I'll come onboard with the first public beta.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Y'all know any free apps that will;
1. Say something (entered by user)
2. Wait an amount of time (entered by user)
3. Say something different (entered by user)

-----

I want a Yoga App where I can define intervals and positions, but I can't find any that are free. AKA I want to make a unique yoga class.

So anything that can attain the above features would be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
This is the world’s messiest workaround, but you could make some mp3s of someone saying the name of each position, and then silences of different lengths of time (or calm music or whatever) and make a playlist in the music app with them?