Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I only know Drive Angry is the penultimate. Because it’s him shooting out of hell ready to fight again. So the final one has to be the last film he ever does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Wouldn't that mean the Ghost Rider series is the finale?

Nic Cage has been through so many apocalypses trying to find context is like looking for a specific hair in a cat's furball.

We are entering a place where logic only hurts.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Holy moly this looks great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJV9acMsDwM

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Nic Cage has been through so many apocalypses trying to find context is like looking for a specific hair in a cat's furball.

Every time there's an apocalypse in a nic movie it's just a dream.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

ghost rider is not from hell.

he's from the toilet.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
If Chucky the doll tried to attack me I would simply kick him away.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If Jason or Michael was after me I'd just increase my pace to a light jog.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CelticPredator posted:

ghost rider is not from hell.

he's from the toilet.

Where he is pissing fire, and it's awesome.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

feedmyleg posted:

If Jason or Michael was after me I'd just increase my pace to a light jog.

It is well known that Jason can teleport after a 3 round cool-down

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What is the opinion of Troma these days? If I'm not mistaken, I don't think they've put out an actual movie in at least a decade, but I'm talking about that renaissance they had between Tromeo & Juliet (or maybe Sgt. Kabukiman?) and Citizen Toxie. I remember enjoying them in my mid-teens, but I tried watching a few scenes recently and I was almost ashamed of myself. For instance, I had completely forgotten just how horrifically transphobic the ending of Terror Firmer is.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What is the opinion of Troma these days? If I'm not mistaken, I don't think they've put out an actual movie in at least a decade, but I'm talking about that renaissance they had between Tromeo & Juliet (or maybe Sgt. Kabukiman?) and Citizen Toxie. I remember enjoying them in my mid-teens, but I tried watching a few scenes recently and I was almost ashamed of myself. For instance, I had completely forgotten just how horrifically transphobic the ending of Terror Firmer is.

I have yet to see anybody on here really defend Troma. I have a massive amount of respect for the underground, DIY, independent, no rules filmmaking that Troma represents but it is 90% abject trash and not even fun trash.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

WeaponX posted:

I have yet to see anybody on here really defend Troma. I have a massive amount of respect for the underground, DIY, independent, no rules filmmaking that Troma represents but it is 90% abject trash and not even fun trash.

Oh, I wasn't accusing anyone. And yeah, the indy filmmaking part is just about the only aspect I appreciate at this point. And even then, I'm starting to remember watching a couple of their documentaries and Kaufman being an abusive piece of poo poo towards just about everyone and putting employees in danger on a regular basis.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Oh, I wasn't accusing anyone. And yeah, the indy filmmaking part is just about the only aspect I appreciate at this point. And even then, I'm starting to remember watching a couple of their documentaries and Kaufman being an abusive piece of poo poo towards just about everyone and putting employees in danger on a regular basis.

I just meant that I think the opinion around here is pretty low but I could be wrong. A few movies do hit that low budget camp sweet spot.

In a strange way though I can respect that instead of becoming a respected elder-stateman of indie films or just fading away, Troma remains a filthy, lowbrow, poo poo factory well into the 21st century. Very on brand.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I adore Class of Nuke Em High and at least one of the Toxic Avenger movies. I love the punk/outsider spirit and DIY attitudes. I love that they gave voices to the sorts of filmmakers that would otherwise never have opportunities in the industry, especially queer filmmakers. I love Kaufman as a voice (though this is the first time I'm hearing about him being abusive to his crew).

That being said, despite having people recommend Tromeo & Juliet and Poultrygeist to me a dozen times, it's really tough for me to get through their movies that lean hard into the intentionally bad/sloppy aesthetic or go gonzo solely for the sake of pushing the buttons of the square crowd and not because the material dictates it. There's a laziness to much of their output that I can't stand. Plus, the politics of their output feels... uneven at best. And they inspired a generation of toxic edgy anti-PC horror fans in the worst possible way. I've posted about attending a Troma film festival in here before and yiiikes.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jun 4, 2020

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Post your favorite LGBTQ+ horror movies itt. I watched Jennifer's Body last night, for the first time since, what, 2009? I definitely didn't pick up on the homoeroticism between Jennifer and Needy the first time I saw it. But it definitely goes on the list of bisexual movies.

On an unrelated note: I also watched Blacula last night, and I'm ashamed at myself for my preconceptions about it beforehand. I really thought it was going to be a cheap schlocky blaxploitation film that's just cashing in on the "Dracula" name, but it's NOT. It's a fantastic film that at times feels on par with Hammer levels of framing and drama, but with some fantastic musical scenes, wonderful acting by William Marshall, and it's just so drat good. Everybody go watch it.

feedmyleg posted:

I love the punk/outsider spirit and DIY attitudes. I love that they gave voices to the sorts of filmmakers that would otherwise never have opportunities in the industry.

Yeah, this is why I've been really into shot-on-video horror lately. When you find a good one, it's REALLY good and unique. It's just having to wade through 100 boring as poo poo movies to get to it.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

feedmyleg posted:

I love Kaufman as a voice (though this is the first time I'm hearing about him being abusive to his crew).

Terror Firmer and Citizen Toxie DVDs were both released with documentaries chronicling the making of each. You can see Kaufman making script changes on an hourly basis and then screaming at the script girl for not keeping up, coming up with ideas for stunts with no regard to anyone's safety, having random tantrums, hiring friends of his to keep costs down who then gently caress everything up, etc.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

COOL CORN posted:

Post your favorite LGBTQ+ horror movies itt. I watched Jennifer's Body last night, for the first time since, what, 2009? I definitely didn't pick up on the homoeroticism between Jennifer and Needy the first time I saw it. But it definitely goes on the list of bisexual movies.

Wasn't that basically the major plot point in Jennifer's Body? I didn't think you could really miss it.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

COOL CORN posted:

Frankenstein forever

But we need a gay Get Out that isn't messing around with subtlety.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I’m surprised to hear that Troma doesn’t care about safety. In Shudder’s Cursed Films series, they were highlighted in the Twilight Zone episode as being extremely conservative about preventing onset injuries since a lawsuit would completely wipe them out, unlike a large film studio.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

david_a posted:

I’m surprised to hear that Troma doesn’t care about safety. In Shudder’s Cursed Films series, they were highlighted in the Twilight Zone episode as being extremely conservative about preventing onset injuries since a lawsuit would completely wipe them out, unlike a large film studio.

I want to say it's Citizen Toxie that has a car driving through a wall and people end up falling off ladders and poo poo and it's obvious Lloyd didn't care.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

COOL CORN posted:

For something very explicitly gay, Knife+Heart is my favorite. The original The Haunting is my favorite classic film with gay subtext.

and of course NoES 2

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

COOL CORN posted:

Post your favorite LGBTQ+ horror movies itt.

Well, you've got The Hunger, and then you've got *arm waves* everything else.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

COOL CORN posted:

Post your favorite LGBTQ+ horror movies itt

Knife + Heart! To this day the only movie that does neo-giallo well

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Knife + Heart is a real treat. I just wish I could step into that movie and hang out with those characters, even with the killer running around.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

COOL CORN posted:

Does Raw count?

If Raw counts, then Raw.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Wasn't that basically the major plot point in Jennifer's Body? I didn't think you could really miss it.

Well, yes. But 11-years-ago-me just saw it and thought "oh they're just good friends and everybody made fun of them and called them gay!"

I was an oblivious youngster.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I really liked kicking back with this vid. Lots of good recommendations in this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTpmfjUCYUY

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

I'mma go with probably a lesser known LGBTQ horror film which would be Cthulhu 2007.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The LIghthouse is about men wanting to gently caress eachother but also not gay

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Hollismason posted:

I'mma go with probably a lesser known LGBTQ horror film which would be Cthulhu 2007.

I’ve been meaning to watch that since 2007 and failed repeatedly.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Former CineD poster HBomberguy made a pretty good video essay about that movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8u8wZ0WvxI

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

I want to say it's Citizen Toxie that has a car driving through a wall and people end up falling off ladders and poo poo and it's obvious Lloyd didn't care.

That actually sounds like one of the movies they show behind-the-scenes clips of and they planned and rehearsed all of that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I feel like Mary Harron could direct the hell out of a queer version of Get Out. But ideally such a film would actually be made by a queer person, or at the very least written by them.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Surf Nazis Must Die was surprisingly good for Troma

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Troma's modus operandi is punching up at all times.

What was considered Anti PC shifts with the times so a lot of their work changes along those lines. Their only true political stance has been "against the establishment" which I can respect. They've also always been firmly "gently caress Nazis"

The problem with punching up all the time is that inevitably you're going to hit some sour or even bad notes.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Burkion posted:

Troma's modus operandi is punching up at all times.

What was considered Anti PC shifts with the times so a lot of their work changes along those lines. Their only true political stance has been "against the establishment" which I can respect. They've also always been firmly "gently caress Nazis"

The problem with punching up all the time is that inevitably you're going to hit some sour or even bad notes.

It's probably best not to look to juvenile cult movies from the 80's for political guidance or inspiration. Though I guess I do like how on the nose the military industrial complex conjoined twin guys were in Troma's War.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I’m talking about their stuff between ‘94 and ‘01, not the stuff from the 80s.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Coming Soon

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Wasn't Lloyd Kaufman in one of those Cursed Film episodes? I wanna say it was the Twilight Zone episode and it made it seem like he was extremely careful about safety on set and said something like "A movie isn't worth anyone's liife".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

The_Doctor posted:

I’ve been meaning to watch that since 2007 and failed repeatedly.

It's quite good.