Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Fartbox posted:

The game is very good without massive overhaul mods these days

In the very least, I can't quite remember, but I bet SFO makes stuff like beastman and chaos more playable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Kobal2 posted:

Ok so, how does one even Morathi ?
I've restarted this campaign a dozen times tonight and I just don't know how not to get murked in the first 40-60ish turns. Consolidating the starting prov and wiping out the green delfs faction you start at war with is easy enough. After that, however, I have no idea how to proceed.

- Unless I stick to bog standard spears and shards, I go very broke (especially since I need to keep a semi-big army back home to deal with the constant slave revolts)
- going south means getting tag teamed by the tomb kings and cylostra (unless one took out the other, in which case it means getting hip deep in powerful undead). Going east means having to declare two separate wars - a forever war with elves based on the donut and another with one of the bigger non-legendary delf factions , oh and also the TKs will come knocking pretty soon because your southern neighbours basically self-destruct.
- Every neighbouring province is chock full of poo poo climates which means no money and lotsa rebellions short term
- Nobody wants to trade besides the aforementioned self-destructing gits down south. Even my shithead son won't bloody non-aggro me.
- Home revolts are always chaos, and tend to destroy the token "6ish spears, 5 shards" force I keep there that's good 'nuff for any other Delf faction. Seriously, chaos chariots are ridiculous, and of course they all pack an arty gun to boot.
- You get public order penalties for not being chaos corrupt, but your means of chaos corrupting are really limited (1 point per lord, a few more with one capital slot building, and the province command for a whopping +1 that also prevents you from running taxes or public order...)
- also, lol at various random armies just popping up to gently caress with me on top of everything else - empire raiders, then beastmen, then savage orcs... I'm sure there's more after that, but I always die around the time the orcs show up.

So basically I think I'm supposed to not expand at all, sack poo poo and load up on slaves to hopefully build up the home region ? But Delves can't encamp so Morathi's away team gets hopelessly mangled after one or two big fights... Which is bad when you're dealing with tomb kings who can just keep. sending. stacks. or pirates who just conjure stacks out of thin air.

Yeah you wanna buff up your home region, farm rebellions and do morathis quest battles, her items help with the corruption stuff. But idk about that last part - dshards with shields are the best tier 1 archers in the game. Do checkerboard, have morathi focus on debuffing, get a master and witch elf hero to help kill stuff, don't leave your starting province until you can afford to have a black ark stack and/or a basic stack to farm more rebellions while you're out sacking the world.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I finally hunted down the last settlements of Yvresse in my Very Had Grom Vortex campaign and didn't get any achievements. They just say to beat a campaign, not specifying Mortal Empires. So does it need to be, or is it a bug? Did the Markus Vortex campaign allow you to get the achievements for Empire victories?

Edit: Seems to be unintentional and a known issue: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/265950/grom-the-paunch-achievement-bug

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jun 4, 2020

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

So, briefly played around with a WE campaign tonight... and its start is poo poo for reasons even beyond the amber and settlement mechanics. See, Wood Elves don't actually get a real building that provides Untainted (outside the added "Find Undercity" one), and their singular Public Order building is complete garbage (maxes at +3 at T3) - they rely on upgrading the tree to provide those. This is a problem, because they start next to a Skaven settlement that begins the game with a building that causes Skaven corruption in adjacent provinces. You can see where this is going - Public Order starts at a slight negative from the very first turn, and proceeds to nosedive very quickly.

You can of course just eliminate the settlement... except it might take a bit to realize the source, because the province touch point is very small and easy to overlook, along with having no actual entry point anywhere near you - it's Fester Spike, in the mountain region adjacent to the Golden Order's start, incidentally. So basically the campaign requires you to realize this and eliminate it quickly so you can actually do other things without your settlement collapsing due to public order issues, while the game is actively encouraging you with missions and dialogue to go in the complete opposite direction (because Parravon is still the default beginning enemy).

tl;dr: I think Wood Elves were developed to have public order and corruption issues as a balancing factor until they could get their tree construction up and running, but that was before they tossed in sources of Skaven corruption all over the map

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Lord Koth posted:

Skaven Corruption

Is their economy so bad you can't just use the PO nosedive to farm up skills?

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Skaven is pretty funny and get some bonkers abilities.

Reikland had become the world dominator in this game and had like 30+ settlements and was just making GBS threads on the entire world. So I used the sniktch special contract ability and killed Franz, which caused his entire empire to collapse in one round. Reikland is destroyed.

Now the whole world is a thunderdome again

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Neuronyx posted:

In the very least, I can't quite remember, but I bet SFO makes stuff like beastman and chaos more playable.

The Beastmen get a system like the Dwarves 'Oath Gold' or TK 'Canopic Jars' system where you acquire Dark Devotion(?) currency that is spent on unlocking RoRs, temporary buffs, permanent buffs, banners, and Chaos God-flavored units like Slaangors. In theory it's really cool, but post-settlement battle loot options usually make you decide between Dark Devotion and money. For most of the game I was still having to choose money so I wasn't running on fumes, so I didn't unlock very much. Some of the options were pretty bunk or way too expensive, as well.

The foundation is there for something great, so I bet someone could tweak it to be that way.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Kobal2 posted:

Ok so, how does one even Morathi ?
I've restarted this campaign a dozen times tonight and I just don't know how not to get murked in the first 40-60ish turns. Consolidating the starting prov and wiping out the green delfs faction you start at war with is easy enough. After that, however, I have no idea how to proceed.

- Unless I stick to bog standard spears and shards, I go very broke (especially since I need to keep a semi-big army back home to deal with the constant slave revolts)
- going south means getting tag teamed by the tomb kings and cylostra (unless one took out the other, in which case it means getting hip deep in powerful undead). Going east means having to declare two separate wars - a forever war with elves based on the donut and another with one of the bigger non-legendary delf factions , oh and also the TKs will come knocking pretty soon because your southern neighbours basically self-destruct.
- Every neighbouring province is chock full of poo poo climates which means no money and lotsa rebellions short term
- Nobody wants to trade besides the aforementioned self-destructing gits down south. Even my shithead son won't bloody non-aggro me.
- Home revolts are always chaos, and tend to destroy the token "6ish spears, 5 shards" force I keep there that's good 'nuff for any other Delf faction. Seriously, chaos chariots are ridiculous, and of course they all pack an arty gun to boot.
- You get public order penalties for not being chaos corrupt, but your means of chaos corrupting are really limited (1 point per lord, a few more with one capital slot building, and the province command for a whopping +1 that also prevents you from running taxes or public order...)
- also, lol at various random armies just popping up to gently caress with me on top of everything else - empire raiders, then beastmen, then savage orcs... I'm sure there's more after that, but I always die around the time the orcs show up.

So basically I think I'm supposed to not expand at all, sack poo poo and load up on slaves to hopefully build up the home region ? But Delves can't encamp so Morathi's away team gets hopelessly mangled after one or two big fights... Which is bad when you're dealing with tomb kings who can just keep. sending. stacks. or pirates who just conjure stacks out of thin air.

What worked for me is just not go east at all. The green faction you start at war with are weak and you're tempted by that juicy, juicy province of theirs. But it's a trap, all a trap. Take back the settlements in your starting province but DO NOT EVER cross the bridge to theirs, or indeed go further east than Moonshard or whichever the eastmost city in your province is. In my experience Instead beeline south and kill Cylostra ASAP. I dunno how viable that even is on like legendary, but it was fine on Hard at least. Your army will be beat up as gently caress by attrition at that point, but no matter. An extra lord - preferably fire sorc - at your capital will deal with whatever comes that way, should it be needed (they can handle rebellion and green DEs with little to no army, and I send Sabioth to scout the pass to make sure no stinkin TK is coming up to bonk you over the head). Dealing with Cylostra fast is vital because her vamp corruption just ruins your DE pals to the south and their territories. You should be buddying up with them and confederating pretty fast. Green DEs usually get clobbered by Karond Kar if you leave them alone in my experience.

Once Cylostra is out and rebellions and such are put out, which shouldn't take you more than 10 turns, immediately go for the Tomb Kings. In my experience they can't be trusted at all and their starting regions have multiple paths straight into yours and not controlling them is just intolerable. If you moved east to deal with green DE once and for all you are now in trouble because TK are strong to your west, the HE smell blood to the east, and Mazdamundi will usually declare war on you from the south. Bad deal! By skipping the east entirely, in my experience the HE will all ignore you for ages, you don't even necessarily discover Alith Anar (unless he expands your way) much less the donut. And by saving the movement over there, you have more time and forces to take the fight to the TK and wipe them out as fast as possible instead. Now sadly this is pretty slow because TK are kinda worse than regular AI factions in terms of rebuilding armies quickly early-game, but luckily it's all chaff and you should have a fire-sorc army and a fire-sorc hero in your Morathi army - turns out Burning Head is absolutely filthy against armies filled to the brim of almost nothing but spear-skeletons, which is all they'll recruit after your first couple wins! It'll be a bit tedious and longer than you want, and you might lose a few settlements to Mazdamundi at the end despite your best attempts to keep non-aggression going, but it's really pretty easy once they're at the skelly spear spam stage of armybuilding. At that point shore up the chokepoint against Mazdaman, and either take the fight to him or just ignore lizards and go beat up high elves instead.

That said campaigns can go drastically different so you kinda have to play it by ear once Cylostra is done for!

E: Also, make sure you're refusing slaves in your provinces besides the starting one, and prioritize the corruption/PO building pretty high to get PO under control unless you know you're parking an army for a while (which you rarely want to do early on).

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jun 4, 2020

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Fartbox posted:

Skaven is pretty funny and get some bonkers abilities.

Reikland had become the world dominator in this game and had like 30+ settlements and was just making GBS threads on the entire world. So I used the sniktch special contract ability and killed Franz, which caused his entire empire to collapse in one round. Reikland is destroyed.

Now the whole world is a thunderdome again

This is basically my idea to rebalance chaos as an end game. Give up on making them an on-map threat, and just go "Archaon's declared that Reikland is his Target. Do a hard quest battle in X turns, otherwise, the entire faction is wiped out and all their settlements are destroyed.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Is their economy so bad you can't just use the PO nosedive to farm up skills?

Technically I suppose you could, but it really doesn't really gain you anything other than the skills. Because of their amber requirement, it is literally impossible to upgrade your settlement past T3 without going out and conquering stuff - and that's if you disband your starting unit that uses amber (both lords start with one) - so just waiting around and farming skill levels doesn't really let you build up your settlement much while you're doing so. To add onto this, while they do get a 12-slot settlement,their number of buildings is also artificially inflated - like where basically all factions have a forge building for certain advanced units, Wood Elves actually have two, with one being for infantry/cavalry and another for archers (that's also the only thing either does, no boost to local/global recruitment slots, extra chevrons or whatever).

Secondarily, repeatedly fighting Wood Elf rebel armies on the godforsaken Athel Loren maps just seems like a miserable experience. You could just autoresolve them, but just doing nothing but autoing rebels for the first ????? turns really doesn't sound like a great use of time. Bretonnia gets away from it since they've got such an additional public order malus that they actually can fight an army every turn or three during those first 20 turns, but public order degradation from corruption isn't nearly so fast unless it's at absurd levels.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
God I love skaven.

Nothings better than plunging the entire empire into the cool zone

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I started a belegar campaign and holy poo poo do these dwarfs take a beating after playing a lot of empire. I don't know if thunderers do much more damage than handgunners but it feels like when I point my one unit of them at something it suffers terribly, then the little buggers whip out their shields and axes and fight like champions.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Lord Koth posted:

Technically I suppose you could, but it really doesn't really gain you anything other than the skills. Because of their amber requirement, it is literally impossible to upgrade your settlement past T3 without going out and conquering stuff - and that's if you disband your starting unit that uses amber (both lords start with one) - so just waiting around and farming skill levels doesn't really let you build up your settlement much while you're doing so. To add onto this, while they do get a 12-slot settlement,their number of buildings is also artificially inflated - like where basically all factions have a forge building for certain advanced units, Wood Elves actually have two, with one being for infantry/cavalry and another for archers (that's also the only thing either does, no boost to local/global recruitment slots, extra chevrons or whatever).

Never play campaign Wood Elves unless you're doing co-op. Never.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Neuronyx posted:

Playing without SFO doesn't seem... so... bad. Am I just some uncultured pleb for not noticing the game's failures?

SFO mostly introduces a different set of problems imo. There are a few mods I think are worth installing for QoL like Less Blood Less Gore, and Region Trading, but the game works pretty well on its own.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Onmi posted:

This is basically my idea to rebalance chaos as an end game. Give up on making them an on-map threat, and just go "Archaon's declared that Reikland is his Target. Do a hard quest battle in X turns, otherwise, the entire faction is wiped out and all their settlements are destroyed.

ah yes the perfect total war experience

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Lord Koth posted:

Secondarily, repeatedly fighting Wood Elf rebel armies on the godforsaken Athel Loren maps just seems like a miserable experience. You could just autoresolve them, but just doing nothing but autoing rebels for the first ????? turns really doesn't sound like a great use of time. Bretonnia gets away from it since they've got such an additional public order malus that they actually can fight an army every turn or three during those first 20 turns, but public order degradation from corruption isn't nearly so fast unless it's at absurd levels.

Wood elves are one of the old dlc factions and haven't been updated to the new standards yet. They need a lot of love imo. That's why I'm hoping the next patch before TWW3 is a wood elf/Beastmen patch. Their campaigns today are gimmicky and tedious at best

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

SFO is more for when you're burned out on the main game, most of the changes aren't any better or worse but just Different

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Probably because it's not actually written by Games Workshop for the most part as far as I remember, they advised on it and paid the company to make it but yeah.

That and the RPG isn't a war game. It doesn't have to be all about war, it has to be about the ordinary people living in the setting. So you get lots of fun fluff like the Empire and Kislev being officially okay (your in-practice mileage may vary depending on the specific community) with homosexuality with Rhya's blessing, but Bretonnia very much not due to their stricter gender roles (that paradoxically result in a fair number of same-sex marriages because one or both spouses are pretending to be a gender that they're not), or how there's a lot of cultural bleedthrough across cultures.

There's a genuine human-built temple to Grungi in Nuln, because no god in the human pantheon covers mining, engineering, and craftsmanship, so the humans adopted the religious practices of their neighbors. The dwarfs are confused, but if humans are gonna human, there's worse ways to go about it and they're making a sincere effort. Rhya and Isha may or may not be the same goddess, but their portfolio and rites are similar enough that in areas with large human and elf populations living side by side the worship of the two is conflated. The highest halfling religious holiday, Pie Week, has spread throughout the Empire (and even into Kislev and the dwarfs to a lesser extent) as a mainly secular holiday because hey, who doesn't like an excuse to eat lots of pie? Many dwarfen religious holidays centered around beer and brewing have likewise spread into the Empire, on the basis that beer is good and public festivals are good.

One of the more interesting beats to me is how Ulric, the traditional war god of the Empire, is steadily getting displaced by Myrmidia. Ulric is your standard old school war god, big on axes and wolves and winter and rushing headlong into the enemy. Myrmidia is a foreign goddess with the premise that she is Athena if Athena was also Jesus, but her church has been steadily making inroads into the Empire for more than two hundred years on the basis that she's a war goddess who likes winning and a good plan. Ulric's worship is basically in decline and Myrmidia's is rising as the Empire's military becomes more professional and people start to prefer a good plan and a gun to axes and wolves.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
What is the timeline from beta patch to patch patch?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Gamerofthegame posted:

ah yes the perfect total war experience

So far the Total War Experience is the Crisis faction fucks around in Kislev for 20+ turns even when the Order forces there have been wiped out, and you have so much forewarning they're coming that you really have no reason to not be sending Stacks to cut them off at the throat. At least with Quest Battles, you can stop the "auto-resolve multi-stack" issue of trying to make an end game... threatening.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
So I might have been wasted and carried away with the light role playing aspects of the game, but if even if you think the Warden is the weaker half of the DLC; he will always be the spiritual father of the Ulthuan Space Program, breaking the sound barrier at 204 speed.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Cythereal posted:

That and the RPG isn't a war game. It doesn't have to be all about war, it has to be about the ordinary people living in the setting. So you get lots of fun fluff like the Empire and Kislev being officially okay (your in-practice mileage may vary depending on the specific community) with homosexuality with Rhya's blessing, but Bretonnia very much not due to their stricter gender roles (that paradoxically result in a fair number of same-sex marriages because one or both spouses are pretending to be a gender that they're not), or how there's a lot of cultural bleedthrough across cultures.

There's a genuine human-built temple to Grungi in Nuln, because no god in the human pantheon covers mining, engineering, and craftsmanship, so the humans adopted the religious practices of their neighbors. The dwarfs are confused, but if humans are gonna human, there's worse ways to go about it and they're making a sincere effort. Rhya and Isha may or may not be the same goddess, but their portfolio and rites are similar enough that in areas with large human and elf populations living side by side the worship of the two is conflated. The highest halfling religious holiday, Pie Week, has spread throughout the Empire (and even into Kislev and the dwarfs to a lesser extent) as a mainly secular holiday because hey, who doesn't like an excuse to eat lots of pie? Many dwarfen religious holidays centered around beer and brewing have likewise spread into the Empire, on the basis that beer is good and public festivals are good.

One of the more interesting beats to me is how Ulric, the traditional war god of the Empire, is steadily getting displaced by Myrmidia. Ulric is your standard old school war god, big on axes and wolves and winter and rushing headlong into the enemy. Myrmidia is a foreign goddess with the premise that she is Athena if Athena was also Jesus, but her church has been steadily making inroads into the Empire for more than two hundred years on the basis that she's a war goddess who likes winning and a good plan. Ulric's worship is basically in decline and Myrmidia's is rising as the Empire's military becomes more professional and people start to prefer a good plan and a gun to axes and wolves.

I also really like how they made an attempt at recontextualizing the Norscan and Kurgan worship of the Chaos gods. I just pasted the excerpts from the book here a while ago.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jun 4, 2020

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Fundamentally it's because an RPG is asking you to imagine playing as someone rather than just having them as one cool unit in your army, which changes what kind of fluff you emphasize. So there's more detail in certain places, more hooks to personalize, because instead of just 'Those Knights sound cool in a one paragraph description' it's 'imagine actually playing as just one of these people as a unique character'.

The wargaming fluff is just about different things.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Cynic Jester posted:

Never play campaign Wood Elves unless you're doing co-op. Never.

Fartbox posted:

Wood elves are one of the old dlc factions and haven't been updated to the new standards yet. They need a lot of love imo. That's why I'm hoping the next patch before TWW3 is a wood elf/Beastmen patch. Their campaigns today are gimmicky and tedious at best

To be clear, I knew it was bad and hasn't aged well, I just wasn't aware of HOW bad it had gotten even for reasons unrelated to what people typically mention.

I did a campaign of them in TWW1, and haven't touched them since, so it was basically just wanting to play around with the units for a bit.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
It's amazing how well the Warhammer 2 DLC races have aged, considering we haven't had an entirely new race for what seems like years.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Someone printed a Grom mini

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Winklebottom posted:

Oh, gently caress yeah.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
he's objectively cooler than any AoS mini, and I saw this as a somewhat-AoS-liker

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Tbh I feel like the issues with Wood Elves are pretty overstated all in all. They fundamentally work, their units are still strong enough, one out of two Lords is still pretty competitive.

It really doesn't remotely compare to the state of Beastmen. Beastmen are just loving bad. Nothing they do isn't a disaster of design or implementation or both.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

KingKapalone posted:

Should my friend and I do Vortex or ME for co-op? He's only played non WH TW games. I've played one campaign in each WH game.

I've heard your partner can't attack the ritual armies since they're not factions. All the factions aren't doing the ritual for their campaign though right? For co-op we'd have to be the same race I think?

Going to start this co-op soon so want to get some opinions if possible, thanks.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

KingKapalone posted:

Going to start this co-op soon so want to get some opinions if possible, thanks.

Uh, it pretty much Just Depends? It really depends on who you're wanting to play as, based on issues like proximity and layout. The ritual armies are indeed only able to be attacked by the person who started the ritual, but the ritual armies are a comparatively small part of the game tbh.

Like if I was playing Gor-Rok and Tehenhauin I would probably play on Vortex instead of Mortal Empires because in Mortal Empires Lustria is a comparatively much less interesting place for that pair to coop in and you're going to be TOO close to each other's poo poo. In most cases I would just do Mortal Empires but sometimes start positions vary and terrain varies. Lustria and the Southlands get compacted in Mortal Empires, for example.

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.

Winklebottom posted:

Yeah this is excellent, anyone know if those are regular Warhammer minis in the background or more game prints?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Winklebottom posted:

GROM DOES IT AGAIN!

That's seriously great :allears:

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Its hard to tell but I recognize that screaming bell in the back right as a "real" model.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Jihad Joe posted:

Yeah this is excellent, anyone know if those are regular Warhammer minis in the background or more game prints?

There's more here.

https://www.thingiverse.com/EamannG/designs

Carcer posted:

Its hard to tell but I recognize that screaming bell in the back right as a "real" model.

Yeah, seems like he's playing a dangerous game because the bell is pretty much identical to the tabletop one, except for the sculpted effects

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 4, 2020

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Yeah CA based the in game screaming bell directly on the GW model so it would be pretty ambigious, except he says on the page for the bell thats mostly printed with a couple of things (like the chain) seperate.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Those Carnosaurs really makes me wish GW would update the Lizardmen (though the current carnos are alright, the saurus are pretty drat old now). CA nailed the dinos. A pack of feral carnos smashing into skaven lines are some of the most satisfying things in the game

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Winklebottom posted:

Those Carnosaurs really makes me wish GW would update the Lizardmen (though the current carnos are alright, the saurus are pretty drat old now). CA nailed the dinos. A pack of feral carnos smashing into skaven lines are some of the most satisfying things in the game

The current saurus are from when the lizardmen first started looking like they do in TWW, which I mainly remember because my dad gave me the lizardmen vs bretonnia starter kit as a birthday present right before it phased out and all the lizardmen in there are completely different. Skinks had bows.

Which was one of the biggest disappoints of 8th, how none of the lovely old plastics got updated in favour of new dual kits. VC get new skeletons. TK get to keep their old skeletons, which were literally the old Count skeletons but with a sprue of shields, one head, a banner, and a khopesh. And the ancient 90s basic skeletons were all a full head taller than the tomb guard, the dudes riding the constructs, the VC skeletons, the characters, anything else in the roster. In a game where the models looking cool is the only reason you aren't pushing around cardboard tabs instead.

Dark Elves get brand new, properly-scaled plastic models for all their line infantry. High elves got to keep the ancient 90s versions. Except the 8th starter set came with new, proper high elf militia. So it looked terrible to combine the new starter models with anything else you could add to your army.

Basic goblins continued to look like total poo poo models compared to the new night goblins, but at least savage orcs got an update. And got to be the first victims of the "holy poo poo these look better when the GW studio doesn't paint them" effect.

e: my birthday is september 11th and I think I actually got the bret/lizard set for my 9th birthday which was THAT 9/11

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Winklebottom posted:

Seems like a lizardmen model refresh is coming up soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Lord Koth posted:

To be clear, I knew it was bad and hasn't aged well, I just wasn't aware of HOW bad it had gotten even for reasons unrelated to what people typically mention.

I did a campaign of them in TWW1, and haven't touched them since, so it was basically just wanting to play around with the units for a bit.

It's really not THAT bad. Even the economic issues have workarounds. It's kind of like Skaven food issues - yeah, if you build your poo poo all wrong you're going to constantly have problems. But if you recognize that this will be a problem and work toward a resolution from the beginning, it isn't a big deal.

Also, if you run Mixu's expanded legendary lord mod, the faction leaders of the other Athel Loren get some unique abilities and stuff. Their roster hasn't been updated, but they've always had strong units, just limited variety.