Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Dabir posted:

And when are you gonna press both buttons on the same side at the same time? Holding shield plus pressing parry, maybe.

Someone never had the joy of using R1+R2+R3+L1+L2+L3 in Armored Core!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Post poste posted:

So you'd agree that having to do that regularly would be awful?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Post poste posted:

If I had to do that I'd expect the game to do some seriously impressive poo poo in response.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Dabir posted:

So you'd agree that having to do that regularly would be awful?

Very yes. Because all the other combinations were also in use, so you'd regularly throw your gun, spin awkwardly, etc.
It was amazingly poorly designed.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Necrothatcher posted:

If I had to do that I'd expect the game to do some seriously impressive poo poo in response.

Seems like what you'd press to do one of those anime, hundred-missile launches.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Necrothatcher posted:

It unlocks your mech's reactors limiter giving you nigh unlimited energy for flying around and shooting energy weapons for a short period of time, then you are completely helpless for the equivalent of an eternity because if you didnt win, youre dead.

Wait actually no thats not it.
It drops off all extension parts, so you can do a cool anime armor purge

Rigged Death Trap has a new favorite as of 15:57 on Jun 3, 2020

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I think it's time we all admit that the only reason we're so worked up is because we don't have access to the best buttons anymore

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

RandomFerret posted:

I think it's time we all admit that the only reason we're so worked up is because we don't have access to the best buttons anymore

We don't talk about Ouya.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Oh yeah?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

OUYA

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

i always think of a sassy german

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RandomFerret posted:

I love how the tolerances on that controller were so bad that buttons getting stuck under the faceplate wasn’t uncommon.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

the stradivarius of controllers

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Zereth posted:

the stradivarius of controllers

Stadiavarius

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:eyepop:

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxVty14Mi8Y

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Is it a Ubisoft game? I'm not able to watch the video but the thumbnail alone makes me think it is. It's gotta be an Ubi

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It's either Mudrunner or Snowrunner

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Truck That Wouldn't Calm Down

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Clang is a harsh mistress.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Snowrunner has a lot of odd glitches. Like rapidly cloning objects until your server/computer crashes.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

tried playing those spintires games and goddamn, it's like pure distilled frustration: the driving game.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

LifeSunDeath posted:

tried playing those spintires games and goddamn, it's like pure distilled frustration: the driving game.

Spintires is best with friends, and when you're all role-playing drunken Soviet-era truck drivers. Also when you are all as drunk as you imagine Soviet-era truck drivers in rural Russia could be.

I played it once while sober and alone and it was one of the most unpleasant and boring gaming experiences I've had.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

it sounds much more fun than many other simulator games, but i am definitely damning with faint praise

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I can only assume that wild physics like that is a result of the limited calculations the computer can make with regards to kinetic energy and energy transfer. At some point it isn’t coded to transfer any/enough/all energy from on thing to the other (like the ground or tree) on top of the fact that there isn’t an energy loss equation built in so then the physics calculations become an echo chamber and maybe become exponentially worse until a 20 ton truck flops around like a feather and bounces off of trees.

No?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

okay now explain the burbling noises

and this:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Are the noises the game simulating something in the engine sloshing around?

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

dialhforhero posted:

I can only assume that wild physics like that is a result of the limited calculations the computer can make with regards to kinetic energy and energy transfer. At some point it isn’t coded to transfer any/enough/all energy from on thing to the other (like the ground or tree) on top of the fact that there isn’t an energy loss equation built in so then the physics calculations become an echo chamber and maybe become exponentially worse until a 20 ton truck flops around like a feather and bounces off of trees.

No?

Nah, generally physics system freak outs like that are due to models clipping into one another. The collision system attempts to separate them by imparting force in a direction to one of the objects. This force is then applied but the objects don't separate because they're still connected or the collision system models another collision, which reduces the force on one, imparting it to the other object so now they're moving together.

Next time physics calculations are done the same thing happens and you end up getting huge phantom forces that make the physics object go batshit crazy like that.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

DelphiAegis posted:

Nah, generally physics system freak outs like that are due to models clipping into one another. The collision system attempts to separate them by imparting force in a direction to one of the objects. This force is then applied but the objects don't separate because they're still connected or the collision system models another collision, which reduces the force on one, imparting it to the other object so now they're moving together.

Next time physics calculations are done the same thing happens and you end up getting huge phantom forces that make the physics object go batshit crazy like that.
And then it's going fast enough to clip into something else and then WHOOPS and it applies more force and keeps poo poo going.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

first we need to talk about parallel universes

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

first we need to talk about parallel universes

Yep. I forgot about how unity engine games accurately calculate the standard model, but don't take into account the 8th dimension, so some weird collision can happen as it works it's way up the fields and super symmetry isn't maintained.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
How many half presses of the A button does that take?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

DelphiAegis posted:

Another thing that can cause problems is when two things are connected by a joint but they also intersect each other. The physics system will attempt to push one of the objects out so they aren't colliding, but the movement of that object imparts force on the object it's connected to, oftentimes retaining the collision.

This clip is an example of intentional abuse of similar physics glitches. The player (PJ DiCesare, a fairly well-known speedrunner and breaker of games) made a "vehicle" that's a loop of four components connected by flexible joints. It has no motive force -- no engines, sails, etc., but after being allowed to exist for a bit, it builds up a feedback loop between its components and starts to spin like mad. He uses this to complete a "long jump" challenge where you have to move the protagonist as far as possible -- not end-to-end, but total movement even if it backtracks. He just jumps off the end of the skijump and vibrates for awhile.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I’m late for controller chat, but the real mystery is why the PS controller has a pink color for the square button rather than yellow, which would make more sense next to the other colors and also make the buttons match the original PS1 logo’s color scheme, which was RGBY.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

My favourite Beatles song, Controller RGBY.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://kotaku.com/sims-4-update-introduces-burning-piss-1843912547

:piss:

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Does Kotaku have some kind of obsession with finding the most inappropriate header images for their articles or something because jeez

e: To add more content to my post, as funny as that particular bug is, the patch also breaks the game in various ways for people, a bunch of popular mods need updating and the patch has apparently ruined people's saves and caused other serious issues. EA rushed this one out after already delaying it by a day and it's such a loving joke for a company that's been making Sims games for over 20 years now. They should've delayed the expansion pack this patch was for to avoid this exact scenario, but of course profits are more important so gently caress it, we'll take the bad rep and hopefully game news sites will just meme about burning piss instead of actually calling us out.

Ruflux has a new favorite as of 15:12 on Jun 5, 2020

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Ruflux posted:

Does Kotaku have some kind of obsession with finding the most inappropriate header images for their articles or something because jeez

e: To add more content to my post, as funny as that particular bug is, the patch also breaks the game in various ways for people, a bunch of popular mods need updating and the patch has apparently ruined people's saves and caused other serious issues. EA rushed this one out after already delaying it by a day and it's such a loving joke for a company that's been making Sims games for over 20 years now. They should've delayed the expansion pack this patch was for to avoid this exact scenario, but of course profits are more important so gently caress it, we'll take the bad rep and hopefully game news sites will just meme about burning piss instead of actually calling us out.

There was about a month where fruit above the base quality would just disappear from your inventory because the game wouldn’t correctly fill out fruit quality when you loaded. It looked fine, but as soon as you loaded a second time, it would be gone. The workaround was to move every stack of fruit from one type of inventory to another and back every time you loaded or switched maps. It made farming miserable for a while, and farming is one of the best ways to make money.

It also affected death flowers, which are essential in keeping sims alive and bringing dead sims back, and also can control a sim’s age. If you have Seasons, you only get 1-2 death flowers per plant per day, so it could take ages to build up a supply of them.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

dialhforhero posted:

No?
I always kind of assumed that they just calculate everything through momentum, but thinking about it, I really have no idea how much fidelity goes into modern physics engines. Anyone here familiar enough with the subject who could tell me how much of that kind of thing they usually even bother keeping track of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Cardiovorax posted:

I always kind of assumed that they just calculate everything through momentum, but thinking about it, I really have no idea how much fidelity goes into modern physics engines. Anyone here familiar enough with the subject who could tell me how much of that kind of thing they usually even bother keeping track of?

Amateur game developer here. Most 3D games these days use "rigid bodies" for their physics simulations. Each one has mass and velocity, a shape (which may or may not accurately reflect the visuals; the shape typically is composed of one or more convex shapes like boxes, capsules, and spheres), and perhaps attributes like bounce elasticity (how much energy is lost in a collision) and friction and so on. When two rigid bodies intersect, the game will calculate the energy of the collision based on their velocities, masses, and the degree of intersection, and then attempt to force the two apart again. However, there isn't necessarily any effort made to ensure that the energy in a system is conserved -- that expulsion force can cause there to be more energy in the system than there was before the collision. If it also then doesn't actually succeed in removing the intersection between the two rigid bodies (perhaps because it removed the intersection in one area but added a different intersection in another area), then on the following frame even more energy is added to attempt to remove the collision...

You have to also couple this with the fact that the physics engine is expensive to run, so it doesn't usually update every frame. A 60FPS game might only have a 30FPS or 20FPS physics engine; the frames without physics updates draw things at their predicted locations based on their velocities and how much time has passed since the last update. But the less frequently the physics engine runs, and the faster things can move, the more they can get embedded in each other before the physics engine has a chance to notice and try to expel them.

Videogame physics works best with slow-moving objects, and the faster things go, the more likely they are to need to cheat somehow. Bullets are not physics objects, for example. Even in games that simulate projectile travel time, ballistic drop, etc. they're much too fast for the physics engine to reliably detect when they hit something.