Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

ded posted:

I talked to my daughter about the protests. Told her if she wants to go to talk to me first so that I can help her prepare for it. The last thing I want to see is her lose an eye because of some over eager shithead popping off less leathal munitions in her face.

Give her a hug from an internet rando.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I can’t PM, but would you mind e-mail? Finland seems like a really cool country.

Sure, at nuhapumppu (at) gmail.com

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
I'm an American expat living in Japan, and reading this thread (and seeing this stuff all over the internet) has me both furious and feeling powerless. I'm not a veteran, but I've always liked the insight this thread has had on current events, so I've been following it on and off pretty much ever since GIP became a thing.

If I were living in the states, I would have been out there protesting from the very first day, and I wouldn't stop until I got arrested. But I'm living in a country thousands of miles away, and despite wanting to do something with all of my soul, I feel like there's nothing I can do but repost links from here and spam :acab: in discord servers all day long, and it's eating away at me.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I think the honest displays of solidarity count for something, even if they don't seem like much. Gaining an ally, even one thousands of miles away, is valuable and important.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Spoggerific posted:

If I were living in the states, I would have been out there protesting from the very first day, and I wouldn't stop until I got arrested. But I'm living in a country thousands of miles away, and despite wanting to do something with all of my soul, I feel like there's nothing I can do but repost links from here and spam :acab: in discord servers all day long, and it's eating away at me.

Hey man, I feel the exact same way, it's incredibly frustrating being stuck on the sidelines while such important poo poo plays out. I don't have any advice, but I feel ya :glomp:

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Donate.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I can’t PM, but would you mind e-mail? Finland seems like a really cool country.

I have some Finnish friends and compared to the UK where I am from, it is a very good country to live in with excellent infrastructure. I think the taxes are high, but it all adds up to a better standard of living and good education system.

Apparently, the language is very difficult to learn though.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Sad King Billy posted:

Apparently, the language is very difficult to learn though.

This is true, it's not really related to any other. But especially in the capital area and bigger cities you can get by on English alone. IT jobs in particular tend to have very international crews and a very low treshold for hiring people who don't speak Finnish. Also, since Swedish is the second official language and easier to learn if you know English beforehand you might get along easier with that. All sorts of official documents etc have to be provided in Swedish if requested and some parts of the country have a Swedish speaking majority.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Spoggerific posted:

I'm an American expat living in Japan, and reading this thread (and seeing this stuff all over the internet) has me both furious and feeling powerless. I'm not a veteran, but I've always liked the insight this thread has had on current events, so I've been following it on and off pretty much ever since GIP became a thing.

https://i-d.vice.com/en_uk/article/wxqdnw/how-to-support-blm-protests-if-you-have-no-money

Also if you're internet saavy, hit up your local social media that you're misery watching and shut down sock puppets and threats of violence.

Genuinely helps. They've been actually sitting down misinformation from some of these guys, like Identity Europa.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Spoggerific posted:

Seems like The Discourse has hit Japan too so maybe you can lend a more nuanced American viewpoint on things in a way they can understand

https://twitter.com/avril24th/status/1267402211778113536?s=19

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

as i understand it there were demonstrations in Tokyo too, after the police killed a Kurdish guy. probably a lot of people have heard about those.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Neat

https://twitter.com/BizarreLazar/status/1267570556880076801

Guy made a twitter account that just posts the words of Trump tweets, it was quickly suspended.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Nah, he’s just continuing to tweet about how much he’s done for black people. He won’t freak out about Mattis or the active duty drawdown until he watches how Fox and Friends cover it.

Trump must be REALLY mad this morning because he’s fired off dozens of retweets from people like Charlie Kirk and several of his own.

Also, the regime is continuing to block off more and more parts of downtown DC:

https://twitter.com/betsy_klein/status/1268491075343319041

When I went by the protests yesterday, this was about as close as you could get to the White House before running into a wall of federal riot cops wearing sterilized uniforms and not identifying which agency they work for.

Really cool and normal country we are now.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

Eej posted:

Seems like The Discourse has hit Japan too so maybe you can lend a more nuanced American viewpoint on things in a way they can understand

https://twitter.com/avril24th/status/1267402211778113536?s=19

I speak Japanese, so that is something I could do, actually.

Thank you for the link. That's a very good tweet, and most of the replies are very compassionate, unlike the hard right-wing stuff I normally see on Japanese twitter/news article comments.

Doc Hawkins posted:

as i understand it there were demonstrations in Tokyo too, after the police killed a Kurdish guy. probably a lot of people have heard about those.

He wasn't killed; he was "just" roughed up by the cops for no real reason during a traffic stop. Here's a tweet from a Japanese newspaper showing footage of the incident, along with footage of a protest that happened on the 30th. There's going to be another one (sorry for the reddit link) on Saturday this month. Unfortunately, I'm worried that taking part in any kind of demonstration as a foreigner may get me arrested, or have my visa revoked. The right to protest is not guaranteed to non-citizens living in Japan. I'm married and trying to start a family, and being kicked out back to the US is a high price to pay. If things keep going the way they're going, though, I'll be getting to the point where I'd be willing to risk that.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

All this poo poo is enough to turn my conservative republican family members against the police, when not even 3 mo. ago they would never have said a word against cops.

And like, I know that a lot of other people with a similar profile are reflexively doing the opposite, but still all this poo poo is that hosed up...

Ataxerxes posted:

Earlier someone was asking about Europe and what it would take to live there. If Finland is within your range of options please PM me.

And stay safe, US goons.

This is an interesting idea - my cousin has dual membership in another country and has gone from never considering it to "holy hell going to move there with my family (mixed race) asap - but I've always been interested in how/why people migrate worldwide. This open to lurkers?

Also how is this being covered in Finland? I imagine with horror?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

LingcodKilla posted:

I’m torn up watching these kids getting treated this way for just protesting. God if my kids were old enough to protest and anything happened...

I had wanted to be a cop at one point to protect the community. I put my self through police academy and graduated. Never did get hired. My timing was poor (2007) and had a person in my background package badmouth me behind my back because I wouldn’t help him cheat on his wife with another cadet.

It was for the best now. I could never deal with this.

:same:

Didn't go through an academy or anything, but was seriously exploring getting hired by either the NYPD or LAPD (had a girlfriend who was going to move to either city at the time for her dancing career, lol) so I could eventually become a detective.

Between finally deciding that I wanted none of that and not contracting with the Army, I feel like I've dodged a lot of loving bullets in my career choices. Today I'm judging history entries from high school students for a national program, next week I'll go back to reviewing old manuscripts and then abstracting them. Quite glad that even when my job gets dull, I don't have any problems falling asleep at night cause of my work and that I'm not gonna feel ashamed telling people what I do/did for a living years from now.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Also, the regime is continuing to block off more and more parts of downtown DC:

https://twitter.com/betsy_klein/status/1268491075343319041

Could they completely enclose the WH in a Faraday cage so he can't tweet?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Sleng Teng posted:

All this poo poo is enough to turn my conservative republican family members against the police, when not even 3 mo. ago they would never have said a word against cops.

I think you may (or may not) be surprised at how many hee haw types got their heads thumped by lovely cops for backtalk and the like. Not exactly what you would call fonts of progressivism but there's a definite distrust and dislike of cops among the less well to do. Granted, I doubt they'll actually vote dem so I'm not actually sure what the point I'm trying to make is

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Finland has the highest coffee consumption per capita, sounds pretty good.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
This is reform and not status quo? No wonder good cops are bad cops.

https://twitter.com/abc7/status/1268387894713962497?s=21

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Sleng Teng posted:

My favorite observation is that protestors demanded that the police cut the racism and treat everyone equally. So, the police obliged, and now they attack absolutely everyone.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

I thought this was posted here already, but I couldn't find it when looking for it...

LA cops doing a drive-by on teens standing on a sidewalk

https://twitter.com/i/status/1268014113105555456

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

I think you may (or may not) be surprised at how many hee haw types got their heads thumped by lovely cops for backtalk and the like. Not exactly what you would call fonts of progressivism but there's a definite distrust and dislike of cops among the less well to do. Granted, I doubt they'll actually vote dem so I'm not actually sure what the point I'm trying to make is

Yeah I'm not really surprised - rural folk in my area doesn't have a historically great relationship with government/law enforcement. if anything I feel like recent conservative culture war poo poo (last 50 years??) w/r/t police is more of a deviation from that. not sure I have a point either though!

facialimpediment posted:

My favorite observation is that protestors demanded that the police cut the racism and treat everyone equally. So, the police obliged, and now they attack absolutely everyone.

"favorite"

real leopard - face moment for a lot of people I imagine.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Finland has the highest coffee consumption per capita, sounds pretty good.

Stock rising in my eyes by the minute

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Sleng Teng posted:

Stock rising in my eyes by the minute

If Finnish coffee is anything like the coffee I had in the other parts of Scandinavia, uh, that's not a great thing. It is -- to steal a phrase from Bill Clinton -- very tasteful coffee, and that's about the most diplomatic way to put it.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSxNP-1VpjE

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Hey, handful of Colorado Springs guys, avoid Academy and Fountain (US 24) all day if you can. Some morons got creamed by a semi there this morning and it's gonna take all day to clean up/investigate.

Also 10pm curfew in the Springs until monday.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

The Church of Success

"Prosperity gospel" already exists, and is exactly as gross as it sounds.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

GoGoGadget posted:

I thought this was posted here already, but I couldn't find it when looking for it...

I don’t imagine this is gonna go over so well. They are really trying to provoke a response.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

poo poo like that is why I have no faith in "reforms" for the NYPD, LAPD or Chicago PD. Too much history. Too much institutional culture.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Hey guys it’s the middle of the day let’s go light up some kids on the corner. Nothing bad or out of context or even context will come of this yeee-hah.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

LingcodKilla posted:

Hey guys it’s the middle of the day let’s go light up some kids on the corner. Nothing bad or out of context or even context will come of this yeee-hah.

It won't make it on the big news channels and they know it. Any reprisal will be seen as an unprovoked attack

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

GoGoGadget posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PScmRiaZhwk

Murcor
Dec 1, 2007

It's a hell of a thing
I post like never but always love reading this forums take on things. I guess i am now because i am just in awe how fast poo poo has spiraled out of control. Can you believe i actually used to defend Trump in arguments with family? I am ashamed i ever assumed the best of any action this man has taken, and doubly ashamed how naive i was. I swallowed the narrative and until this week i believed it
The response across the entire board in the leadership in this nation has been beyond wrong.
Thanks 2020, please be a better president Biden.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

LingcodKilla posted:

Pretty much at this point, the Police are so focused on escalating the violent, they don't understand that the videos are not favorable to them and will likely only further the protests.

But violence is all they know how to do.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Murcor posted:

Based on the actions of Senator and Vice President Biden he supports this and will continue to support this.

Occupy was Obama. Ferguson was Obama.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Murcor posted:

I post like never but always love reading this forums take on things. I guess i am now because i am just in awe how fast poo poo has spiraled out of control. Can you believe i actually used to defend Trump in arguments with family? I am ashamed i ever assumed the best of any action this man has taken, and doubly ashamed how naive i was. I swallowed the narrative and until this week i believed it
The response across the entire board in the leadership in this nation has been beyond wrong.

welcome 2 da :coolzone:

COINCEL PRO
Mar 18, 2019

Murcor posted:

I hope there are many like you.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

hobbesmaster posted:

Based on the actions of Senator and Vice President Biden he supports this and will continue to support this.

Occupy was Obama. Ferguson was Obama.

Yes, Obama's AG vastly increased DoJ use of consent decrees against local police departments, civil rights investigations, and saw the first actual reduction of the federal prison population.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
:nms:
Cops shoot kid in the head with a rubber bullet and he starts seizing.
Medics ask cops for immediate medical transport.
Cops tell them to bring him to them.
Cops shoot them at point plank with rubber bullets as they carry his body forward.

https://twitter.com/porchlandrea/status/1268382748747669505?s=21

https://twitter.com/doreenrenee/status/1267547979562602497?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Murcor posted:

Bernie was our best chance and the democratic party hosed us out of him again.

Just take in the chaos and vote out all your local conservatives at the state/county/city level. The bulk of incumbents are complicit in this poo poo, and realistically, any change you see will be on those levels, not federal.

Trump and McConnell have loaded all the courts in favor of conservatives and it's going to take decades to fix that disaster alone.