Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Don't forget registration for the 2021 Masters Tickets lottery opens today!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

mattfl posted:

Don't forget registration for the 2021 Masters Tickets lottery opens today!

Thanks for the heads up! Hopefully I get selected this year, would love to check it off the ol' bucket list.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Hopefully this works - I didn't have a lot of time between meetings to get this taped so if it the videos suck I'll reshoot:

https://imgur.com/a/DREzzt5

So for a full length golf course I hover between 95-105 - been playing golf seriously for ~16 months or so, first played when I was 32 (I'm 34 now). My misses are mostly to the left or, if they're really bad, I leave a big rear end divot behind the ball and it goes maybe 40 yards. Nothing too bad to the right, fortunately. I feel like my power sucks, my driver only goes ~230-240 yards carry, 4 wood is about 210, hybrid 200, 4 iron ~185 and so on.

Mostly my chipping is absolute hot garbage and my putting varies wildly from day to do, but one thing at a time. I think my swing is borderline broken and I need to fix it.

As always, any constructive criticism is greatly appreciated! I'm probably the worst golfer here so I'll happily take any feedback at this point.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Kirios posted:

Hopefully this works - I didn't have a lot of time between meetings to get this taped so if it the videos suck I'll reshoot:

So for a full length golf course I hover between 95-105 - been playing golf seriously for ~16 months or so, first played when I was 32 (I'm 34 now). My misses are mostly to the left or, if they're really bad, I leave a big rear end divot behind the ball and it goes maybe 40 yards. Nothing too bad to the right, fortunately. I feel like my power sucks, my driver only goes ~230-240 yards carry, 4 wood is about 210, hybrid 200, 4 iron ~185 and so on.

Mostly my chipping is absolute hot garbage and my putting varies wildly from day to do, but one thing at a time. I think my swing is borderline broken and I need to fix it.

As always, any constructive criticism is greatly appreciated! I'm probably the worst golfer here so I'll happily take any feedback at this point.

You didn't really video the important parts of your swing. Get more video on you instead of the ball/mat/net so we can see what your swing is actually doing.

Also, don't golf in sliders, you need a good stable base when you swing, sliders do not make a good stable base, hell you'd be better off bare foot :)

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Hahaha, touche, I was trying to rush it as much as possible for you guys.

Alright, thanks Matt, I'll reupload a video or two later today with more of me in the shot.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Kirios posted:

Try keeping your right arm tucked tight to your side until the club is somewhat more than parallel. After that, you can move it away from your body. On the downswing, try to get it tucked back in on the way down. I think that'll help with your out-to-in action.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

ElGroucho posted:

Try keeping your right arm tucked tight to your side until the club is somewhat more than parallel. After that, you can move it away from your body. On the downswing, try to get it tucked back in on the way down. I think that'll help with your out-to-in action.

Hmm, I certainly see the "right arm tucked" comment a lot on golf forums. I didn't realize mine flailed around so much.

Here's a hopefully better video. I was able to get a pretty awful swing (the first one) and the second one, where I hit the ball pretty well.

https://imgur.com/UPi0ms7

Kirios fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 1, 2020

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kirios posted:

Hmm, I certainly the "right arm tucked" comment a lot on golf forums. I didn't realize mine flailed around so much.

Here's a hopefully better video. I was able to get a pretty awful swing (the first one) and the second one, where I hit the ball pretty well.

Yeah, stick a towel underneath both arms and take some practice swings; the towel can drop off the rear armpit once the club gets hinged in your hand, but the "forward" part of the towel should stay in throughout the downswing.

There's other poo poo to work on, but take one pill at a time.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
You have the same issues I had a couple years ago where you don't set your wrists early enough in the backswing and you don't rotate your pelvis much at all so your pressure isnt getting to where it needs to be at certain points in the swing. I'd recommend either an online lesson with somebody like Monte scheinblum/Dan Carraher or getting Monte's efficient swing video series. He also has a free short game video series for free on his website if you want to give that a shot before committing to anything further. You should also try to get your camera up higher and off the ground so it's directly behind you and directly in front of you for seeing the swing from behind and face on.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kirios posted:

Hmm, I certainly see the "right arm tucked" comment a lot on golf forums. I didn't realize mine flailed around so much.

Since you've only been playing for 2 years, I'd like to see you build a better swing than simply trying to bandage things because even at address, we have serious fundamentals we need to work on.

-Your posture is not setting you up for success: You don't have enough knee flex or hip bend, and your shoulders and neck are completely tensed up. It's a cliche but pretend like you're a shortstop preparing to field a ground ball and take a more athletic position.
-Your grip is causing a lot of problems: While a 10 finger grip isn't necessarily a problem, it's causing you to swing the club like you're chopping wood. I would prefer to see you with at least an overlapping grip and interlocking would be even better. In either case, you need to weaken your right hand (rotate it counter-clockwise).
-You're learning to hit the ball off a sidehill lie: With the hitting mat, the ball is way above your feet. If you're going to work on your swing, do it with a flat lie. Find a different part of your lawn, even if it's not in the shade.

I don't want to get into your swing just yet since we need to work on address first, but referring to my comment about you swinging the club like you're chopping wood, you take it too far outside which leads to, among other things, the comment from ElGroucho about your right elbow. Make tons of practice swings on the plane of a baseball swing to get more of the feeling of swinging around your body.

One thing is that you have a pretty good action through the ball, so if we can get you into a better starting position, you'll be able to take advantage of that speed.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Kirios posted:

So for a full length golf course I hover between 95-105

well, I can personally attest that you are not the worst golfer here

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
I've become so jaded, playing golf with strangers. I hit a ball I think is OB, say I'm hitting a provisional, they look at me like I'm crazy. "Just drop it on the fairway!" And they have the loving gall to tell me they scored a par or a bogey after I just saw them take 2 mulligans.

I even had one dude get upset that I wasn't going to take a breakfast ball, because he "always plays a two ball scramble with himself, and that's how you get better". No motherfucker, you play a two ball worst-ball with yourself, then maybe you'll get better.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I can't actually remember the last time I played with strangers and paid attention to their scores unless they made an impressive birdie or up and down from trouble. Most people don't 100% know the rules and most people are horrible golfers in general, so ignoring what they do and playing your own game is the key to single golfer enlightenment and enjoyment. If Joe Keepshisheaddown wants to say he broke 90 in some meaningless Muni golf round then good for him.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I try hard to keep an honest game regardless of my playing partners, but I will absolutely take a breakfast ball and not even feel bad about it.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
People can play however they want, but I always get dudes who are like, "What'd you get? A double? I made par!"

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
I can't recall any instance of a stranger I've played with ever telling me what they made on a hole or asking what I made, unless it's a "hey was that a birdie? nice" kind of exchange.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Texas is full of these fuckheads

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Group on Monday had a back 9 bet going (I do not care what bingo bango bongo is). One guy actually gets an honest birdie, and says, "I had a birdie and I don't think I cheated at all!"

They basically could hit tee shots over and over until one was in play, and they were lying one. On the first hole, they had 6 tee shots between them (1, 2, and 3, respectively) and the dude who hit three tee shots never had one in play. Dropped in the fairway and hit his ball in the water for 4 lost balls on the first hole. Absolutely only my business when it affected pace of play.

The best player in that group confided in me that he was "working on his iron swing" but it was screwing up his drives. He was legitimately a bad golfer. After a "birdie" on his second tee shot on a par 3, he gestured for me to go ahead on the next tee, "I don't care about who goes first just because I had a birdie." To my par. And I went first every hole because I drove there, selected a club and walked to the box before they were ever out of their carts.

Genuinely nice guys, having fun and in no way pretending their scores were meaningful outside their own comp. A little slow, not good with where they parked carts, didn't take extra clubs and stuff, but they were in the norm on that.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I might suck, but at least I will suck quickly.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The Maestro posted:

I might suck, but at least I will suck quickly.

This is me. When I was first playing I was absolutely awful (~120-130 score on 18) so I learned to play very quickly so I wasn't pissing everyone off around me. It probably doesn't help my game now, but I look at the yardage, select my club, and hit.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

Since you've only been playing for 2 years, I'd like to see you build a better swing than simply trying to bandage things because even at address, we have serious fundamentals we need to work on.

-Your posture is not setting you up for success: You don't have enough knee flex or hip bend, and your shoulders and neck are completely tensed up. It's a cliche but pretend like you're a shortstop preparing to field a ground ball and take a more athletic position.
-Your grip is causing a lot of problems: While a 10 finger grip isn't necessarily a problem, it's causing you to swing the club like you're chopping wood. I would prefer to see you with at least an overlapping grip and interlocking would be even better. In either case, you need to weaken your right hand (rotate it counter-clockwise).
-You're learning to hit the ball off a sidehill lie: With the hitting mat, the ball is way above your feet. If you're going to work on your swing, do it with a flat lie. Find a different part of your lawn, even if it's not in the shade.

I don't want to get into your swing just yet since we need to work on address first, but referring to my comment about you swinging the club like you're chopping wood, you take it too far outside which leads to, among other things, the comment from ElGroucho about your right elbow. Make tons of practice swings on the plane of a baseball swing to get more of the feeling of swinging around your body.

One thing is that you have a pretty good action through the ball, so if we can get you into a better starting position, you'll be able to take advantage of that speed.

Thanks Josh (And everyone else that commented!) - I think I can easily focus on trying to move from a baseball grip to more of an overlapping grip (Interlocking may be a little too much right now, overlapping doesn't seem too much different from what I'm doing now) and taking more of an approach that I'm fielding a grounder.

If it makes anyone feel better, to get the distance that I am I'm swing as hard as I can. A lot of my problems probably stems from playing baseball all the way through college, I guess.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I’ve been hooking drives pretty badly the last week or so, but when I showed up to my course this afternoon before my league I played a few holes and really focused on the feeling of keeping my arms closer to my body (ie the towel under each armpit drill) and was striping it. I shot 3 under par for 9 holes and drove a 340 hole that’s a bit downhill and was a bit down wind which I’ve done plenty of times before but usually not until later in the year when the fairways are rock hard. Every single full swing started right where I wanted but my distance control on wedges was a touch off, but I was still hitting greens. Tomorrow night is the high money skins league and I’m feeling really good about it.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Suprfli6 posted:

I’ve been hooking drives pretty badly the last week or so, but when I showed up to my course this afternoon before my league I played a few holes and really focused on the feeling of keeping my arms closer to my body (ie the towel under each armpit drill) and was striping it. I shot 3 under par for 9 holes and drove a 340 hole that’s a bit downhill and was a bit down wind which I’ve done plenty of times before but usually not until later in the year when the fairways are rock hard. Every single full swing started right where I wanted but my distance control on wedges was a touch off, but I was still hitting greens. Tomorrow night is the high money skins league and I’m feeling really good about it.

Nice dude, let us know how it goes

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Suprfli6 posted:

Talk to me. I had a nice score.monday in spite of pulling or hooking every shot with the driver.

What are you doing on the range for this? I can only manage straight if I dial back to no more than 80% normal swing speed.

Edit. On 9 now. The towel thought and action has straightened me out.

Edit2. Ok, best driving day in a year. Long, straight, controlled. Couldn't hit an approach to save my life. Hit too far a couple of times leaving awkward distances.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 4, 2020

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kirios posted:

If it makes anyone feel better, to get the distance that I am I'm swing as hard as I can. A lot of my problems probably stems from playing baseball all the way through college, I guess.

It's easy to get into that mentality, I played golf alongside hockey and lacrosse so that gently caress IT SWING AWAY habit is hard to break.

I'd remind you as I've had to remind myself almost constantly that you almost never have to swing hard. Today's clubs are so drat good about having big sweet spots that as long as you're getting clean and flush contact, you're gonna get all the distance you realistically need. There are definitely times you can gas up and fire away on some huge par 5, but pulling back on power in order to put it right where you want it is going to pay off far better in the long run. There's a reason you hear almost every pro say "let the club do the work".

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

The lottery to not win Masters tickets for 2021 is open.

Let's see if I can keep my decade long streak of not being selected alive.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

The lottery to not win Masters tickets for 2021 is open.

Let's see if I can keep my decade long streak of not being selected alive.

best worst of luck to you :cheers:

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Only had two birdies in the skins league last night and I doubt either will hold up. My course aerated the greens on May 10 and they are still not even close to healed up which is extremely annoying. For some reason they weren’t watering the greens during this whole process which seems like a poor decision. So I had a few more really good looks at birdie but it’s like putting on a plinko board and totally random.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
how do I start golfing

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

John Romero posted:

how do I start golfing

Have a friend who golfs? Borrow their second set (we all have second sets). Go with that friend on a weekday or weekend afternoon to hit balls at the range.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

torgeaux posted:

Have a friend who golfs? Borrow their second set (we all have second sets). Go with that friend on a weekday or weekend afternoon to hit balls at the range.

Heh, yeah, second sets. I've given away several "second" sets to friends who have just started playing and I still have about three second sets.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

John Romero posted:

how do I start golfing

get a pile of money

dump lighter fluid on it

strike match

throw match

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Also start training yourself to say “gently caress” after every shot.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
The smart answer is “don’t” but I love this dumb game too much to completely warn you off.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

I feel like golf can actually be a very cheap/economical hobby if you want it to be, as long as you don’t live in a super high cost area. My course in upstate NY has a $700 annual membership and when I was new to the sport and just walked 9/18 holes by myself in the evenings it ended up costing me a few dollars for 2-4 hours of playing. Equipment can also be found super cheap on the internet if you buy clubs that are more than a year old (but still new or almost new). Second hand equipment, some sort of membership or taking advantage of GolfNow hot deals, plus a lesson or two can get you up and running without having to spend crazy amounts of time or money and let you see if it’s something you want to stick with long term.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
the best choice is to not start at all

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Shrapnig posted:

Heh, yeah, second sets. I've given away several "second" sets to friends who have just started playing and I still have about three second sets.

I started on my dad's second set, and took his castoffs a couple of times, now he takes mine.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Get lessons. If you don't and just go out there on your own with no idea what you are doing it's going to be super frustrating.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

mattfl posted:

Get lessons. If you don't and just go out there on your own with no idea what you are doing it's going to be super frustrating.

This is the best investment anybody starting out can make. Learn good fundamentals that will last you a lifetime and your swing will be a lot easier to unfuck should you develop an acute case of the Hilary Swanks in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Thirding lessons. Getting them now are going to make life a ton better for you.