Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

So do people think there will be enough interest in Shadow Empire to merit it's own thread or shall we just do the usual and fit it in here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Saros posted:

So do people think there will be enough interest in Shadow Empire to merit it's own thread or shall we just do the usual and fit it in here.

I think there will definitely be enough interest at launch, and having a separate thread will help us avoid clogging up this thread with a lot of “okay wait, how do I do [thing]” posts.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think this might depend on how it's handled. Dominions has managed to build enough of a fan base to sustain a thread.

Shadow Empire is Dominions meets Advanced Tactics Gold in the Post-Apocalypse. Pitch it like that, and have a core of people talking heavily about multiplayer tactics and there will be enough to sustain a thread. It's all about the multiplayer and building a community around that though. If you don't do that then it'll be a flash in the pan like RTW2. When was the last time anyone posted about RTW2?

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

Alchenar posted:

When was the last time anyone posted about RTW2?

Clearly RTW2 needs a new, more insane copy-protection scheme to generate some fresh buzz.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Alchenar posted:

I think this might depend on how it's handled. Dominions has managed to build enough of a fan base to sustain a thread.

Shadow Empire is Dominions meets Advanced Tactics Gold in the Post-Apocalypse. Pitch it like that, and have a core of people talking heavily about multiplayer tactics and there will be enough to sustain a thread. It's all about the multiplayer and building a community around that though. If you don't do that then it'll be a flash in the pan like RTW2. When was the last time anyone posted about RTW2?

I think having an RtW2 thread at release was good, since it let people still talk about other games in this thread. I think right when SE releases (in, what, hours?) there will be a flood of interest and questions, and having a dedicated place for that will be good.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

I'll draft up an OP now. SE should be out at any time.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Saros posted:

I'll draft up an OP now. SE should be out at any time.

Yeah, I think we're supposed to expect it within the next 2-3 hours.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

It's out, £34.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
So it is! Not on Steam yet though.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Pirate Radar posted:

So it is! Not on Steam yet though.

Apparently not till 'later in 2020'.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Drone posted:

So I bought CMO back when the new version was released and never really did much with it until today, when I spent nearly my entire day with the game and quite enjoying it.

Any good, relatively new community scenarios that stand out for anyone as being high quality (in terms of scenario design and scripting)? Specifically looking for stuff that isn't your normal NATO vs. Soviet flavor.

‘Under african skies’ is a neat scenario.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

OP draft, anyone got feedback?

Shadow Empire: George Miller's Alpha Centauri posted:

Shadow Empire is the latest release from one man studio VR Games. Previously known for innovative hex & counter wargames like the Decisive Campaigns series said one man band has turned out a unique take on the 4X and wargaming genre's that can only be described as a mashup of Alpha Centauri, a turn based wargame in some sort of freaky Crusader Kings/Frank Herbert's Dune crossover universe. Alternatively it has a similar feel to Dominions in MP with the same extreme diversity in potential playstyles.

Confused yet? Basically like the title says the theme is Alpha Centauri and Mad Max had a baby and that baby was a really good strategy/4X game.

I'll level with you, this isn't the prettiest game in existence, a lot of your time will be spent staring at a screens like these vvv and the graphics are (intentionally-ish) extremely 90's-tastic.

The core gameplay loop wil be familiar to fans of Civilization/Alpha Centauri, you start with a city in a post apocalyptic wasteland and have to explore, expand and conquer your way to world domination. The twist is that it is also a proper wargame so things logistics, supplies, morale, unit experience are all modeled in high detail. There is another layer with leader management reminiscent of parts of Crusader Kings or VR designs previous title Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8XAh8Wii4k

But if you are still here and haven't been scared off Shadow Empire is an excellent game with a lot of replayability due to the procedural nature of how all the content is generated. Everything from the planet you are contesting to the weapons, tanks, equipment, alien flora/fauna, enemies is different for every game.

Those of us who have followed the game development over in the Grognard thread are hoping there will be an ongoing MP scene like dominions has generated.

:perfect:

FAQ

How much does it cost? - £34 or probably fifty American buckaroo's.
Steam? - Not yet, the game will apparently have an exclusive period on the Matrix Games store before being available on steam. Matrix will provide steam keys to everyone who purchased it when it does go to steam.
Is the AI any good? - Yes it actually is, while no AI ever compete with a human player tactically in a game as complex as this it will put up a very convincing fight and it's not uncommon to lose games to agressive AI.
Is there multiplayer? - Yes there is PBEM (play by email) multiplayer in IgoUgo format. The game really shines in MP.
Where are my planes/boats/water worlds?! - Coming in a post release patch or DLC.
Is there an editor? - No, one may be released at a later date.

Useful links

Goon Grognard games discord - Use to find MP and just chat about grog games.
Get the game HERE
Official Forums
Manual in pdf format

LP's and Tutorials

Youtuber DasTactics has a good tutorial series.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGB6RkFB7ZmPoXDAaR8FbM3xujwMsDgEv

I have a screenshot based LP running here.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3922608

Grey Hunter, SA's very own strategy games maniac has a series of Beta previews.
https://www.youtube.com/user/greyhunterlp
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3920062 - Grey Hunter SSLP

[e] Oh my GOD that Matrix promo video is awful.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I think somebody said VR Designs isn't actually just Victor anymore, he has others working with him--maybe to do the graphics stuff?

Also, Matrix bills from London, right? I just tried to buy it and my bank didn't like that so now I have to review recent transactions and say if they're legit.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

He seems to be back to a one man band with a contractor for the music.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
Its $40 in the US, but otherwise the OP looks good.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Did two of you try to buy it at once? The site's lagging like mad for me.

e: Since I just got it yesterday I checked and you can't use the 25% anniversary discount and the 25% beta discount together. Wasn't expecting it to work, though. One discount at a time!

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jun 4, 2020

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Did two of you try to buy it at once? The site's lagging like mad for me.

Same here. If only there was some sort of well-established infrastructure, backed by a hefty CDN, for handling the sale and distribution of computer game software. Oh, wait...

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Bummer, usually the Anniversary discount stacks with other discounts.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

ZekeNY posted:

Same here. If only there was some sort of well-established infrastructure, backed by a hefty CDN, for handling the sale and distribution of computer game software. Oh, wait...

Looking forward to ZekeNY Wargaming Publisher stepping into the void :) :) :)

:)

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

SE thread is up
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3926377

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

Saros posted:

Bummer, usually the Anniversary discount stacks with other discounts.

It stacks with sale discounts, not with discounts that are connected to a code. Only one code applies, but it would stack with for instance a summer sale, when the price listed in the store itself is lowered.

I also encountered a slow shop site. I hope this means good opening sales for Vic.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Drone posted:

Looking forward to ZekeNY Wargaming Publisher stepping into the void :) :) :)

:)

Just DM me your credit card and bank account details, and you'll be all set!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ZekeNY posted:

Just DM me your credit card and bank account details, and you'll be all set!

DM? Pfft, too complex.

Just post them under spoiler tags.

e: also it's too late for this to be a snappy comeback but I own a tiny bit of Frontier Developments who are now making a Warhammer game, so I guess I technically do have a more successful wargame studio

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 4, 2020

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

The Matrix store can be annoying sometimes but I mean come on, it's no Battlefront.

I think the forums should be the bigger priority. Like spam protection has come a long way you shouldn't need to ban people without x number of posts from posting images or like, nuking my post attempts because some busted algorithm thinks "1965-1991" is an attempt to post a phone number. It just feels like something out of the early 2000s and is in dire need of an upgrade.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 4, 2020

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Uh of course you mean send a money order via self-addressed-stamped-envelope to receive the game burnt on CD-R on my garage.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
What's the 25% anniversary discount?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Every year after you made your account/first bought something with Matrix they send you a discount code on the anniversary of you joining, it's more each year. Mine is up to a scandalous 35% discount after ten freaking years.

[e] plz post in the shadow empire thread its getting lonely in there and about to fall off the first page.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

lol at the MAKE YOUR OWN GAME THEN response to complaining about a objectively lovely store gently caress off

As someone who has made games, I also think the Matrix site is awful. Although it could be worse, it could be the RTW dev's site.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I just had to reset my password to log into the Matrix site and lol, they don't allow special characters in their passwords.

21st century, folks.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
lol do you guys even buy games from slitherine/matrix? Their games go on sale all the time and you manage all your games/steam codes from a single account page designed specifically for that purpose.

I’ve bought a ton of games from them and have never emailed anyone for anything. If their storefront is some weird mystery to you, how the gently caress do you manage to tie your shoes, let alone figure out how to play a grog game lol

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I can use it, therefore it's not bad.

I can't get the loving thing to take a credit card payment to save my life, so I always have to just use Paypal

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
My games used to constantly disappear off my account so that is need to contact support to get them to re add them. They eventually sent me a bunch of press links to games so I didn't need to use my account to download them.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Squiggle posted:

I can use it, therefore it's not bad.

i'm an idiot whose brain is taxed by memoir '44 and i've bought a couple dozen games from them on a variety of platforms with absolutely no proplems, so I'm diagnosing a bad case of PEBCAK, yeah

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Always a treasure.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Be nice guys we are all friends here.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Saros posted:

Be nice guys we are all friends here.

Aw yeah that's the stuff

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Squiggle posted:

Always a treasure.

aw c'mon man, it's not like that. you have to admit it's kind of funny that a group of people who pride themselves on enjoying spreadsheet games like WITP can be flummoxed by a website. in the spirit of Saros' post above, i really do apologize for my tone. take care.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
well what if the trucks are armored smart guy

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Re: Shadow empire

The Donut posted:

There's a discount code 'Wargamer20' - saw this on the Steam Discussion page for the game, save 20%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

In the grim darkness of the far future there is only people getting NATO symbols wrong