Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Are any of Paul Verhoeven's movies worth watching outside of the classic trilogy of Robocop, Total Recall, and Starship Troopers?
Hollow Man is his only bad movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Hollow Man is gross but otherwise OK

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

pospysyl posted:

What are some good pastoral movies, that is, movies about life on a farm or about farming? Babe or Days of Heaven are good examples.
Some that I've seen recently that I'd recommend are Hidden Life, Rams, and Biggest Little Farm.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Any good whodunit movies lately? Serial killer, maybe some courthouse thriller? I'm thinking along the lines of Bone Collector, Seven, Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Gone Girl (not exactly the same but something like that could work); preferably more detectivey than gorey, not looking for a slasher flick.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Edmond Dantes posted:

Any good whodunit movies lately? Serial killer, maybe some courthouse thriller? I'm thinking along the lines of Bone Collector, Seven, Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Gone Girl (not exactly the same but something like that could work); preferably more detectivey than gorey, not looking for a slasher flick.

Have you seen Knives Out?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
What, Hollow Man is great

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

regulargonzalez posted:

Have you seen Knives Out?

I've actually been meaning to (love Rian Johnson's stuff) and completely forgot it existed, so thanks for the reminder. :v:

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Edmond Dantes posted:

Mindhunter is worth checking out in spite of not being a movie. I haven't seen Motherless Brooklyn or Under the Silver Lake but they seem detective-y. There was also the Murder on the Orient Express remake a couple years ago.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

pospysyl posted:

What are some good pastoral movies, that is, movies about life on a farm or about farming? Babe or Days of Heaven are good examples.

What’s The Matter With Kansas?

Son in Law

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I just watched Priest on Netflix which I really enjoyed for the setting, costumes and world building. The movie itself wasn't great but I enjoyed the ride. Any similar movies with strong unique settings/worlds with an interesting visual style? I quite enjoyed Equilibrium as well if that helps. The inclusion of minor occult/horror was kinda cool but not necessary. Daybreakers might be similar to what I'm after.

Any suggestions?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I finally watched Fear and Loathing after years of meaning too and it was great

What film about a wild drug trip should I watch next?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Through a Scanner Darkly comes to mind :D

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

fenix down posted:

Through a Scanner Darkly comes to mind :D

I have never heard of this movie but it looks incredible and also side bonus is based on a PKDick story, I'll have to give that a watch

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

There's also Midsomer, which is a trippy drug fueled film but in a v different tone than Fear and Loathing

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Into the Void

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Altered States is a classic, though most of the special effects have *really* not aged well
Beyond the Black Rainbow is polarizing, but I'm a huge fan

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Pretty sure you meant Enter the Void

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Telebite posted:

Pretty sure you meant Enter the Void

Whoops. Yeah that one

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I've never seen any of the Roger Moore Bond movies, except for one scene I think from Octopussy where he holds two women underwater in a pool literally just by placing a hand on top of each of their heads. Are any of them better than that or is this kind of nonsense the general vibe of 70s/80s Bond?

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
the best bond movies for me are the trashiest ones: You only live twice and Live and let die. I enjoyed them as a kid and i enjoy them now. high budget exploitation cinema at its finest.

octopussy has a lovely plot and its a very boring bond, no interesting characters, meh setpieces. i dont think anyone likes this one.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I've never seen any of the Roger Moore Bond movies, except for one scene I think from Octopussy where he holds two women underwater in a pool literally just by placing a hand on top of each of their heads. Are any of them better than that or is this kind of nonsense the general vibe of 70s/80s Bond?

Moore starts off well, with Live and Let Die (though it's really weird seeing what is effectively a Bond-branded blaxploitation movie), then falls off a cliff with The Man with the Golden Gun. The Spy Who Loved Me is very good, though, but everything after that in the Moore era ranges from bad (Moonraker) to terrible (A View to a Kill is unwatchable, though it has a killer theme song).

The two Dalton movies from the '80s are essential watching, though.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Goldeneye is the only Bond film I've wanted to watch more than once

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
ive watched you only live twice more times than any other movie not just among bond movies

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

For Your Eyes Only was notable for pulling back on the camp that was part and parcel of the Roger Moore years.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I asked this in the TV thread some time ago looking for episodes of shows that fit this description, but I'd also like some recommendations for movies:

What are some good movies where the day is saved thanks to the power of song? The music itself must be key to the victory, so it can't just be a distraction or a song that they happen to be singing while saving the day. Also, it's cheating to name a movie about winning a music competition because of course the day would be saved thanks to music in a film like that. One good example would be Coco. Technically, Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey culminates in a music competition, but I consider that a good answer because their music literally saves the world, well outside the context of winning their contest.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, especially the Katayanagi Twins. Though most of the victories are based on Scott growing as a person, but it's definitely a mix.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Argue posted:

I asked this in the TV thread some time ago looking for episodes of shows that fit this description, but I'd also like some recommendations for movies:

What are some good movies where the day is saved thanks to the power of song? The music itself must be key to the victory, so it can't just be a distraction or a song that they happen to be singing while saving the day. Also, it's cheating to name a movie about winning a music competition because of course the day would be saved thanks to music in a film like that. One good example would be Coco. Technically, Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey culminates in a music competition, but I consider that a good answer because their music literally saves the world, well outside the context of winning their contest.

Tenacious D - The Pick of Destiny

/close thread

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Yellow Submarine, Captain EO, Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, Mars Attacks, Back to the Future. And maybe Masters of the Universe.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Say Anything, if we're being generous

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Action Jacktion posted:

Back to the Future

That's the power of LOVE, actually.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The power of Love, Actually is its ability to make my eyes hurt from rolling so much.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Rock & Rule is the movie you're looking for.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Deathgasm
Knights of Badassdom

Trollipop
Apr 10, 2007

hippin and hoppin
Strange Encounters of the Third Kind

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Action Jacktion posted:

Yellow Submarine, Captain EO, Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, Mars Attacks, Back to the Future. And maybe Masters of the Universe.

Bah, I was going to post Mars Attacks! (you left out the crucial exclamation mark, so I get the point).

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

My friends are on a murder mystery kick, and I could use some recommendations because I don't know of a ton off the top of my head. We've done Clue, Knives Out, Murder Mystery (which was more enjoyable than I ever expected it could be), the most recent BBC adaptation of And Then There Were None (which I guess isn't a movie, but whatever).

Any others we should check out? Someone suggested Murder By Death but I remember Sellers's character being... uh... problematic the last time I saw it a few years ago. I think they're leaning more on the Clue/Knives Out end of murder mysteries, but I'd take any recs that sort of fit.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

My friends are on a murder mystery kick, and I could use some recommendations because I don't know of a ton off the top of my head. We've done Clue, Knives Out, Murder Mystery (which was more enjoyable than I ever expected it could be), the most recent BBC adaptation of And Then There Were None (which I guess isn't a movie, but whatever).

Any others we should check out? Someone suggested Murder By Death but I remember Sellers's character being... uh... problematic the last time I saw it a few years ago. I think they're leaning more on the Clue/Knives Out end of murder mysteries, but I'd take any recs that sort of fit.

Just watched and loved Deathtrap, highly recommend.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Not a mystery, but Kind Hearts and Coronets has a lot of shared DNA with those films. And you get to see Alec Guinness be really fun and wacky.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

MockingQuantum posted:

The Blind Melody AKA Andhadhun was good. Really feels like a modern Hitchock film set in India.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnNcjFpILQA

Zogo fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

What are some movies where there's a faintly alluded to c-plot brewing for most of the runtime that suddenly explodes into view at the film's conclusion? The best example of this I can think of is Gangs of New York where the interpersonal rivalries are suddenly engulfed by this massive anti-draft riot that's been just under the surface until it reaches a boiling point. Joker is very similar in this regard. Once upon a time in Hollywood is another recent example. Many Cohen brothers movies are like this, although it's often several c-plots that are being juggled until they come to a head.