Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

And those monologues rarely had anything to do with the plot, or the scene, or anything

Some were actually good but then after like 5 minutes of talk I would go "yeah but... why are they even talking about that? what was that scene even about again?"

It was a bout a way to fill 5 minutes of time with minimal budget expenditure.

It the budget issues were really that bad, it makes sense why they kept reusing the New Gods secret base set as well as the Funeral Home set, basically throughout the entire second season whereas Season 1 was loaded with a variety of elaborate sets (and probably why there were issues in the first place)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Last week we finished our quick binge of Travelers, which was a fun cross between Quantum Leap and Person of Interest. Last night we finished Happy Endings, which we had been slowly savoring since March as a palate cleanser after watching heavier or more disappointing stuff. I'm very sad that both are over and that we'll never get to spend more time with Alex Kerkovich.

Happy Endings was a great show. Ended way before its time. Adam Pally said on Hollywood Handbook that basically they had a new head of the network who came in and torpedoed the show. Wanted his own programs, never gave it a chance.

An Ounce Of Gold posted:

We are in season 3 of Schitt's Creek because of this thread. I thought it was going to be middle of the road stuff going in, but I'm throwing this up into my top tier of shows so far. The character humor kills me. The entire cast really is in their characters. It's nice to see that.

As a sidenote, I also agree with people that liked AshvED. That show was great all the way through. It's just a fun ride.

Schitt's Creek also rules. Went in with no expectations and ended up loving it. Both the kids were great. Agree the Chris Elliot was not great. Not really a fan.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Happy Endings was a great show. Ended way before its time.

My wife and I watched the whole run and we were struggling to finish the 3rd season. For us it was never great, but enjoyable enough for at least 2 seasons.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Watched season 4 of Rick and Morty. Meh. It touches on very little that I found interesting in the past series. It hasn't declined in overall quality or drastically changed its formula or anything; I just expected it to... delve a little deeper, I suppose. As it is, I found it too bogged down with self awareness and less provocative than before.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Rick and Morty achieved self-awareness in half the time it took Archer.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

clown shoes posted:

Rick and Morty achieved self-awareness in half the time it took Archer.

They all achieve self-awareness down here.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I finished Mr Robot and I'm not sure how I feel about the show. I initially watched s1 when it aired and hated the twist. So I skipped s2-4 when they aired and only watched them now. I was into s2 and s3 and then s4 I kept zoning out. Even the final 3 episodes had trouble keeping me interested.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

phosdex posted:

I finished Mr Robot and I'm not sure how I feel about the show. I initially watched s1 when it aired and hated the twist. So I skipped s2-4 when they aired and only watched them now. I was into s2 and s3 and then s4 I kept zoning out. Even the final 3 episodes had trouble keeping me interested.

Same here, the twist was so annoying it turned me off the series completely. Do they get better?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Same here, the twist was so annoying it turned me off the series completely. Do they get better?

Unless I've misunderstood the end, no it doesn't get better.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

phosdex posted:

My opinion:

-S1: a really amazing season of TV, even if the twist is very predictable

-S2: kinda meh: main plot barely progresses, unnecessary twist just for the sake of it. but it does have its good moments

-S3: very good again, almost as good as S1

-S4: Im not sure. I also had trouble keeping myself interested and actually slept on some episodes. Maybe I need to watch it again

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

phosdex posted:

Unless I've misunderstood the end, no it doesn't get better.

Bummer, I really wanted to like it.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I am almost finished with a show called Devils that is only out in Italy and France so far on Sky Atlantic. It got picked up by CW in the US and will be coming out this fall. DO NOT SLEEP ON THIS SHOW. I am incredibly surprised CW picked it up as it's nothing like their typical program. It's a financial thriller and feels like something I would expect to see on HBO. Really loving good. Highly recommend you all check it out. It's got Patrick Dempsey from Grey's Anatomy as the main bad guy, although there really aren't any good guys.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Schitt's Creek update. I don't love it as much as I did before. I still like the show for all the reasons I liked s1 and 2, but the character of Patrick is killing me. The person they hired to be the main love interest has zero charisma and he cannot act. He has two expressions that he uses for the entire emotional spectrum, and his vocal range for emoting is on par with a talented boulder. We are half way through the final season and I feel like he just drags down any and all fun in almost every scene he is in. He also has ruined the fun of David for me. The way David plays off of his friend Stevie is great. They have amazing on screen chemistry. Then Patrick comes along and he is just a dud. He's a reactor, not an actor. He has no mannerisms, nothing that makes him unique, no character...

Huge misstep by casting. He's so bad I wonder if the production company was trying to push this guy's Q score up by hiring him for some reason. There's zero chance that the guy auditioned and everyone thought that he nailed it. I won't believe it.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

On S6 now. It wasn't that bad. Yeah, it's not as good after Glover and others left, but even past-its-prime community is still pretty good.

So far apart from the S4 puppet ep, I've found the S6 hackers/racist comedian one to be kinda weirdly incomprehensible. Seemed like some very specific Harmon twitter beef that I'm not brokebrained enough to understand.

Season 5's entire existence is justified by Schrab as Cobra Commander.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Brockmire is silly and filthy and season 4 is off the loving rails with the entire end of the world climate/virus/riots stuff. :stonk:

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-reviews/brockmire-season-4-review-966245/

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 7, 2020

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Keyser_Soze posted:

Brockmire is silly and filthy and season 4 is off the loving rails with the entire end of the world climate/virus/riots stuff. :stonk:

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-reviews/brockmire-season-4-review-966245/

Just started and this is surprisingly good. Definitely going to watch the entire run.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Just finished Moonbeam City and I don't get what the bad reception was all about. Sure, the pilot was weak, but after that, it was pretty much awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsroqqvp2cc

It also has a very topical episode where the cops gently caress off to a convention, and the ghetto turns into a utopia in their absence. Sadly, Comedy Central is too cowardly to put that up on youtube.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 8, 2020

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I finished the 2nd season of True Detective and it was not good. The crime is convoluted. The 3 detectives are angsty and unlikeable. The acting was mostly terrible and average at best. The last half-hour of the final episode felt like it took 3 hours. I couldn't wait for it to be over.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Keyser_Soze posted:

Brockmire is silly and filthy and season 4 is off the loving rails with the entire end of the world climate/virus/riots stuff.

It is pretty enjoyable! Brief, dry wit, sometimes narrowly escaping monotony and cringe, fairly entertaining throughout. Definitely watching the whole thing.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Meatgrinder posted:

It is pretty enjoyable! Brief, dry wit, sometimes narrowly escaping monotony and cringe, fairly entertaining throughout. Definitely watching the whole thing.

"The Detour" is another one like that and moves really fast.

S2 of True Detective is only memorable for the Colin Farrell solo party scene. S3 is better though!

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I finished the first season of Mythic Quest: Raven's Banquet, an Apple... plus? tv? comedy series about a video game studio. Its created by Meagan Ganz (one of the best staff writers on Community) and two of the guys from Always Sunny In Philadelphia. It's a good show that starts out trying to be heavy on comedy and gets more into the drama aspects as the season goes on. Episode 5 in particular hardly has any laughs, and focuses on a game studio that used to occupy the same studio space before going awry due to lack of commitment to its creative direction.

A lot of best interactions in the show are between Ian Grimm, the creative director, and his head programmer Poppy Li. It's nice to see an asian in a starring role, especially since Community made their only asian character a complete joke and I don't think Always Sunny has any asian characters. She's probably the best character, but other favorites include Danny Pudi playing a comically greedy marketing guy, and David Hornsby as the well meaning executive producer who gets walked all over by the egomaniacs around the office.

It's not a perfect season but its one of the strongest comedies i've come across lately, even if it does take some liberties with the terminology and mechanics of games, and what role people have (like why a programmer would be animating something.)

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Never finished Boardwalk Empire. So I am starting over from the beginning. Can't exactly remember where I got to....or what all happened. But it's worth it. Good as I remember it being.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Keyser_Soze posted:

S2 of True Detective is only memorable for the Colin Farrell solo party scene. S3 is better though!

Ok, that scene was good. I am starting S3 tonight.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Never finished Boardwalk Empire. So I am starting over from the beginning. Can't exactly remember where I got to....or what all happened. But it's worth it. Good as I remember it being.

I just finished it, for the first time. Amazing stuff, already became one of my favorites

Last season felt a bit rushed and is my least favorite of then all, but still good

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

I just finished Outer Banks in Netflix. It was fine. Writing could be better, but for an adventure show it hit the spot.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
I finished S3 of The Sinner and I really wish I hadn't. Kinda promising enough to keep you watching until you're too invested to abandon ship, but then it slowly dawns on you that it's 8 hours of narrow bro psychodrama that milks the same one or two themes for more or less the entire show. Ultimately I only have myself to blame for subjecting myself to it as long as I did.

I'm thinking back to S1 and in retrospect it was really well-done and intricately crafted. The plot was rich and the Biel character was sympathetic enough that the show achieved its main aim, which I guess is to blur the line between sin and humanity. In the case of this season, the "sinner" is pretty much 100% reprehensible and there's no real reason to care for him, nor does the emotional connection between him and Ambrose ever feel convincing (this is partially because Bill Pullman is just a bad actor), and since those two take up about 99% of the screen time between them they really needed to stick the landing with their dynamic more than they did.

Vernacular fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jun 12, 2020

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I watched all season 1 of Fleabag in 2 days and it’s good! Season 2 started strong but then it became too easy to predict what the character would do to mess things up and propel things along so I don’t think I’ll finish it. Very well acted though.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Ccs posted:

I watched all season 1 of Fleabag in 2 days and it’s good! Season 2 started strong but then it became too easy to predict what the character would do to mess things up and propel things along so I don’t think I’ll finish it. Very well acted though.

I didn't really watch Fleabag for surprise plot twists I guess, but I thought S2 was really good and ended extremely well, to the extent that I hope they never do a season 3.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ccs posted:

hot priest though

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Ccs posted:

Finish it, it has a great ending.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The ending almost makes it worth going through both seasons. If you're enjoying it even a little bit I'd suggest finishing it off.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'm rewatching Oz and it's as good as I remember it being. Highly entertaining. I heard it compared to NipTuck which is pretty accurate and all the Wire and Sopranos actors on it are always entertaining to see.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Rewatching Deadwood since I never caught the movie/finale last year, shits great, there’s so many familiar faces of now more famous people that pop up in small parts.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

mcmagic posted:

I'm rewatching Oz and it's as good as I remember it being. Highly entertaining. I heard it compared to NipTuck which is pretty accurate and all the Wire and Sopranos actors on it are always entertaining to see.
Oz loving rules.
I had completely forgotten the Maxim photo shoot of death row inmates and the drug they take that makes you age overnight LOL

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Just finished a rewatch of Human Target and man did they really gently caress up a good show. I think it might the worst season 1 to season 2 drop of shows I've ever watched. They just ruined everything.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I'm rewatching Dark in anticipation of Season 3 and man, I can't think of any other show that rewards rewatching as much as Dark does. The first time you're sorting out this intricate puzzle, and the second time you get to see how well it was constructed.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Digital Jedi posted:

Just finished a rewatch of Human Target and man did they really gently caress up a good show. I think it might the worst season 1 to season 2 drop of shows I've ever watched. They just ruined everything.

Yep. S1 was fun though.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Digital Jedi posted:

My dad loved Human Target and still talks about it. Unfortunately Season 2 was never released on DVD, although he asks me about it every time we speak.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Just got the Netflix notification that Marcella's new season is out. The previous season ended pretty terribly and was pretty bad overall. But I'm tempted to see how they write their way out of this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

*SHAKING FIST* PPUUUUUUUCCCCCIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!