Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Now, I don't think I've ever posted in this forum, so I'm ready to be torn to shreds over my terrible mainstream music opinions, so don't hold back.

I ask this question, because as I was Wikipedia diving, I came across the Mainstream Rock Chart.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mainstream_Rock_(chart)

quote:

Mainstream Rock is a music chart in Billboard magazine that ranks the most-played songs on mainstream rock radio stations in the United States, a category that combines the formats of active rock and heritage rock. The chart was launched in March 1981, as Rock Albums and Top Tracks, after which the name changed first to Top Rock Tracks, then to Album Rock Tracks, and finally to its present title in 1996.
I was rather surprised at what I saw in the list of top performers, some were expected, some pleasant surprises, others were missing entirely. For example, I was shocked that Guns & Roses is not on any of these lists.

Artists with the most number one songs
Artists with the most cumulative weeks at number one
Artists with the most top 10 songs

I love Shinedown, but I would never have expected them to top list 1 and 3 and come in second for 2. Probably simply an artifact of the lack of competition in the 21st century American rock scene.

Who would you say is the best English language Rock Band to put out a new album since 1981?

Now, you can name a pre-1981 band as your answer if they published a new album after that date. If you find the Rolling Stones "Tattoo You" album of 1981 is so incredible that it eclipses the work of every post 1981 band, go ahead and name them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I have literally never heard of "Shinedown" or "Volbeat" in my entire life and I'm convinced this is an alien pranking me right now

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
I guess it depends on how you want to define "best". If you go by charts you're essentially trying to democratize the process, but this is problematic (e.g. listeners don't exactly have a say in what they hear on the radio...it's more complicated than that and there's often a LOT of money involved, so it's not really as democratic as it seems). If you go by critical opinions you will probably not be hearing anything about "Shinedown" (who the gently caress?) or Nickelback, despite these bands (probably) topping charts left and right. But by deferring to experts you're putting a lot of faith in a field that has a low barrier to entry and very little intellectual rigor (this is a good thing). Lastly, you can interpret "best" as "my personal favorite" and then answer it in whatever way makes you happy.

It's Sleater-Kinney, hands down BTW.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Well if the year 1981 is included then the answer is Siouxsie and the Banshees since Juju came out in June '81 and that's the best album ever. :colbert:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

The Walrus posted:

I have literally never heard of "Shinedown" or "Volbeat" in my entire life and I'm convinced this is an alien pranking me right now

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

The answer is Phish

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
The answer is Cardiacs. Just listen to Dirty Boy if you don't believe me. I still don't understand that song, but my God, I love it.

I just love it.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

The Walrus posted:

Volbeat is a Pokémon, hth

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL

Molestationary Store posted:

Well if the year 1981 is included then the answer is Siouxsie and the Banshees since Juju came out in June '81 and that's the best album ever. :colbert:

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Whichever band produced the most pure revenue for their record label.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Pixies

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

LargeHadron posted:

I guess it depends on how you want to define "best". If you go by charts you're essentially trying to democratize the process, but this is problematic (e.g. listeners don't exactly have a say in what they hear on the radio...it's more complicated than that and there's often a LOT of money involved, so it's not really as democratic as it seems). If you go by critical opinions you will probably not be hearing anything about "Shinedown" (who the gently caress?) or Nickelback, despite these bands (probably) topping charts left and right. But by deferring to experts you're putting a lot of faith in a field that has a low barrier to entry and very little intellectual rigor (this is a good thing). Lastly, you can interpret "best" as "my personal favorite" and then answer it in whatever way makes you happy.

If putting a lot of faith into "experts" with a low barrier to entry and very little intellectual rigor is a good thing, then why not trust the opinions of the masses? There's an even lower barrier to entry there and no intellectual rigor.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

The answer is secretly Ween.

Tell yer friends.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

why's it have to be an English language band anyways

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
the Brian Jonestown Massacre

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

A human heart posted:

why's it have to be an English language band anyways

Because everyone wants to get their digs on the Buena Vista Social Club

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Actually, the way the thread title was phrased made me realize: the title of the thread is asking people would consider the best band, starting in 1981. This doesn't mean rock bands formed on or after 1981, just what people since 1981 have considered the best rock band.

So my answer is the Beatles.

e: Anthologies 1, 2, and 3 contain previously unreleased material, so they should count as new albums. Especially 1 & 2 for featuring new songs.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 24, 2020

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Edward Mass posted:

Actually, the way the thread title was phrased made me realize: the title of the thread is asking people would consider the best band, starting in 1981. This doesn't mean rock bands formed on or after 1981, just what people since 1981 have considered the best rock band.

So my answer is the Beatles.

e: Anthologies 1, 2, and 3 contain previously unreleased material, so they should count as new albums. Especially 1 & 2 for featuring new songs.

That's cheating, obviously there are tons of bands pre 1981 that would crush all post '81 competition, let alone the Beatles.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The criteria's a little weird because you could absolutely say Led Zeppelin since Coda came out in '82, but no reasonable person would consider them a modern or post-'81 rock band.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
This is just a dumb thing to ask in the first place. Asking "who is the best rock band?" is like saying "who is the best author?". Far too broad and full of holes, as the thread so far has indicated.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I am still learning A B A A B AA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGRjQ7WOmq8

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

R.E.M.

They formed in 1980, but their first single, Radio Free Europe, was released in '81, first EP, Chronic Town, in '82, and first LP, Murmur, in '83.

Rolling Stone magazine named Murmur the best album of 1983, beating Michael Jackson's Thriller, The Police's Synchronicity, and U2's War.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The Replacements or New Order or Swans

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

empty baggie posted:

R.E.M.

They formed in 1980, but their first single, Radio Free Europe, was released in '81, first EP, Chronic Town, in '82, and first LP, Murmur, in '83.

Rolling Stone magazine named Murmur the best album of 1983, beating Michael Jackson's Thriller, The Police's Synchronicity, and U2's War.

I think you could make the case for R.E.M most definitely. Some people will dismiss them as Dad Rock mainly due to their latter output but that's unfair I think.

I think they might be a little too weird during that 80s run to be embraced as a 'Rock' band, but genre is nebulous anyway.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

20 Blunts posted:

the Brian Jonestown Massacre

Correct

Black Sabas
Apr 29, 2015

Killing Joke

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's obviously Spiritualized anyway. Anyone who's seen them live knows this

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

DrVenkman posted:

I think you could make the case for R.E.M most definitely. Some people will dismiss them as Dad Rock mainly due to their latter output but that's unfair I think.

I think they might be a little too weird during that 80s run to be embraced as a 'Rock' band, but genre is nebulous anyway.

I’d say that this is mostly a fair assessment as their first three albums were definitely college rock fodder, but I’d say by 1986 when R.E.M. released Life’s Rich Pageant, the band was firmly into rock territory, and that album and the next, Document, should be considered two of the best rock albums of the 80’s. With 1989’s Green, the band evolved into more of a pop sound, but was still a solid album, and lead into 1991’s release Out of Time, which was a major change in sound and brought them back to their college rock/alternative roots, but also saw them solidly hit the mainstream. A better argument could be made that R.E.M. were the definitive 90’s alternative band, but I still say that, considering the theme of this thread, and taking into account the bands entire library, you will not find a more consistent, successful, and meaningful band since 1981.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Murmur was always one of my least favorites. They were my favorite band at a certain extremely 90s high school point in my life and Michael Stipe is at least half the reason I'm queer, but I really only listened to Fables, LRP, And especially Document.

Document fuckin whips rear end. I still listen to it a lot.

Green had a few of their best and worst songs, Out of time was even more wildly inconsistent, automatic was great, monster was VERY great, new adventures in hi fi is probably my second favorite to Document. Everything after that is pretty bad tho

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

empty baggie posted:

I’d say that this is mostly a fair assessment as their first three albums were definitely college rock fodder, but I’d say by 1986 when R.E.M. released Life’s Rich Pageant, the band was firmly into rock territory, and that album and the next, Document, should be considered two of the best rock albums of the 80’s. With 1989’s Green, the band evolved into more of a pop sound, but was still a solid album, and lead into 1991’s release Out of Time, which was a major change in sound and brought them back to their college rock/alternative roots, but also saw them solidly hit the mainstream. A better argument could be made that R.E.M. were the definitive 90’s alternative band, but I still say that, considering the theme of this thread, and taking into account the bands entire library, you will not find a more consistent, successful, and meaningful band since 1981.

I think if you are going by this metric it's U2.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
U2 had far too many outright bad albums and their absolute best, Zooropa, is considered a footnote even by fans of the band

Which is honestly nuts because it's brilliant.

Edit: also, wow I'm dumb because just now, after 27 years, I'm realizing that Zooropa is a play on Europa

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

this thread is obviously ridiculous but what does being the best have to do with commercial success? lots of great bands weren't very commercially successful.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Lots of people equate greatness with record sales. It’s why my sister-in-law thinks Ed Sheeran is amazing.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Minto Took posted:

Lots of people equate greatness with record sales. It’s why my sister-in-law thinks Ed Sheeran is amazing.

Ed Sheeran is pretty good yeah

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

my bony fealty posted:

Ed Sheeran is pretty good yeah

Sorry for your bad opinion.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Shape of You is a great pop song and you can't change my mind

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

It's a misogynist song if that's what you mean.

e: His sound is a terrible Bight Eyes and Bright Eyes are garbage.

Back on topic, reiterating my vote for Pixies.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Bright Eyes is good too, Pixies are prolly a good bet for the thread topic tho yeah (and got their own misogyny problem lol)

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

What did the Kims have to say?

Bagboy and U Mass are bad taste parodies.

Also, were you taking rock lyrics at face value?

Full Collapse fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

my bony fealty posted:

Shape of You is a great pop song and you can't change my mind

Shape of You is just an inferior Sing