Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

loquacius posted:

I've never actually used any of Chihaya's readings, didn't realize this one was so busted. Thanks guys :tipshat:

Yeah her stuff can be massively useful. Affinity is good, Money is GREAT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

ChaosArgate posted:

Its less that it gets you more money, but doing the instakill with Chihaya's money fortune is waaaaaaaay faster than getting into a battle, doing the knock downs and then shaking your enemies down for cash. Also I'm not sure that quick cash trick is still feasible in Royal, they changed how status ailments work in Royal so they don't last as long.

They did make the confusion trick unviable, but they added so many other money making options that it would be overshadowed anyway. On top of just giving you 150K yen just to start with. Even if you are fusing and summoning like a madman, you should still be able to get more than enough cash to get whatever you want.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

A problem with the money strategy in my particular case is that in basegame (meaning not Royal), insta-kill doesn't give money or EXP, so I'm stuck grinding regular Mementos fights, but the money reading is definitely helping (in conjunction with having found like three Orlovs so far today).

The upside is that the confusion trick WOULD work, if I had any open requests right now, which I don't, whee

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

SweetBro posted:

The problem is that the Persona games tend to reuse personality types a lot so if you feel like the characters are boring and stale it's probably because you've already met half of them in P4 or P3.

I also think that once you understand how Persona works, it becomes a less enjoyable game. Like once you realize that you have to select a response that a character would like so that you can cost-effectively progress their confidant to get everyone maxed to 10 before the game ends RATHER than selecting the hilarious one that you want, those scenes to lose a lot of their magic.

The long intro is supposed to be a tutorial as to how all these secondary and tertiary gameplay loops work, but if you already know how they work they just come off as tedious framing narrative.

These are some good points. I'm not following a guide so I probably won't max everyone out this time through but like, for me part of the initial draw of the Persona games was to be like, a social sim game sandwiched between dungeon crawling. Peeling back the curtain and revealing that, actually, there's an optimal path and if you want to max out your social links you pretty much have to manipulate conversations rather than role play a particular kind of main character is a pretty massive turn off.

For all of it's massive massive faults, I think Dragon Age 2 actually had a really cool system where you could still get bonuses from party members even if they hated you because you could either go down the friendly/romance paths or go down the rival path.

I guess my ideal version of a Persona-like game wouldn't allow you to min max everyone's social link but offer different bonuses/party compositions depending on who you bond with throughout the game. Maybe so and so won't go down into the last dungeon with you because they just don't like you very much and you haven't been able to convince them it's worth doing, so you have to choose a different party member to go in their place. I dunno, something like that.

There's definitely something to the idea that Persona is a bit more enjoyable if it's still maintaining the illusion of role play. The music/art/characters I still find great though which is why I think when it comes down to it the dancing games are probably my favorite way to experience Persona.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
I def agree that P5 is a game that's carried pretty hard by it's aesthetic inspite of its pretty underwhelming mechanics. I think one of the best improvements that can be made to the game is so that Confidant Increase cut scenes didn't take up a time block. Instead they would automatically trigger whenever you had sufficient affinity with the relevant confidants. In the same note, the options you pick during those cut-scenes wouldn't affect their affinity. That way you would have actual reasons to go and hang out with people, as well as doing some of the side-activities early (like going to the Jazz Club). With a variety bonus if you go/do/gift something to a character that you haven't done before.

It would feel more organic to reward a player catering to a character's general preferences rather than just trying to figure out what they want to hear in the moment. Additionally it would encourage exploration of the overworld as you would be looking for new gifts to maintain that variety bonus.

Like it felt super loving weird when I was trying to level up Futaba's Confidant, and she wanted to hang out at my place. But I told her to gently caress off, because her confidant was already ready to level up, and that wasn't an effective use of my time.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

SweetBro posted:

I def agree that P5 is a game that's carried pretty hard by it's aesthetic inspite of its pretty underwhelming mechanics. I think one of the best improvements that can be made to the game is so that Confidant Increase cut scenes didn't take up a time block. Instead they would automatically trigger whenever you had sufficient affinity with the relevant confidants. In the same note, the options you pick during those cut-scenes wouldn't affect their affinity. That way you would have actual reasons to go and hang out with people, as well as doing some of the side-activities early (like going to the Jazz Club). With a variety bonus if you go/do/gift something to a character that you haven't done before.

It would feel more organic to reward a player catering to a character's general preferences rather than just trying to figure out what they want to hear in the moment. Additionally it would encourage exploration of the overworld as you would be looking for new gifts to maintain that variety bonus.

Like it felt super loving weird when I was trying to level up Futaba's Confidant, and she wanted to hang out at my place. But I told her to gently caress off, because her confidant was already ready to level up, and that wasn't an effective use of my time.

You know, I think they did have the system set up to work like that in Devil Survivor 2.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
My great gaming achievement this year was to beat okumura on normal difficulty. I was stubborn and would not raise the difficulty to merciless. No cheating and raising the game to a harder difficulty.

Hardest bossfight in the persona series.The trick is use to potions that lower all enemy defense and having good luck that the robots won’t run away when their health goes below half.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

SweetBro posted:

Sorry Ryuji, but this date ends in a 7 so I'm going to work.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

That full week at the start of Futaba’s palace where everyone decided they wanted to be social all day instead of doing our jobs confused and annoyed me so much. We have more important things to do than read magazines and watch art DVDs for 12 hours today, Ryuji and Yusuke!

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Never do Futaba's palace until there's like 3-4 days left so you don't condemn her to a one month coma

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I don't know. I could use a 1 month coma now and then.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

arisu posted:

Never do Futaba's palace until there's like 3-4 days left so you don't condemn her to a one month coma

One month coma beats another month of guilt induced hallucinations.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Captain Walker posted:

Hello I just needed everyone to be aware that while you're driving the catmobile in Mementos, sliding or tapping on touchpad has a unique and amazing function

What does it do? (for those of us who don't have the game)

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Item Getter posted:

What does it do? (for those of us who don't have the game)

In addition to activating the new Showtime attacks in combat, the pad responds differently to swipe and touch inputs in different situations. The one I discovered by accident is just a fun cosmetic thing: while riding the Catmobile, sliding your finger over the pad causes Morgana to purr, and pressing it makes him yowl like honking the horn

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
What the gently caress is up with the lovely trick questions in P5's class sections? The ones in P3 made way more sense and didn't have multiple answers that could be considered correct to make you look up a guide.

Oh ffs they had how much time to work on Royal and they didn't replace the Mementos music? That suuuuuuucks.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 5, 2020

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You can just hit the touchpad to find the correct class answers. The mementos music changes per block.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Gaius Marius posted:

You can just hit the touchpad to find the correct class answers. The mementos music changes per block.

That's good to know. It's annoying to be technically correct but not get the knowledge point. But different music in different blocks or no, the 1st block is abysmal.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I was upset at the Momentos music at first, but the first block is tiny and then other block songs are pretty good.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I was upset at the Momentos music at first, but the first block is tiny and then other block songs are pretty good.

Thanks. It wasn't going to stop me from playing or anything but drat what a misfire in a game with such an otherwise stellar soundtrack.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

DrNutt posted:

What the gently caress is up with the lovely trick questions in P5's class sections? The ones in P3 made way more sense and didn't have multiple answers that could be considered correct to make you look up a guide.

:confused: I don't recall any trick questions or ones with multiple correct answers.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

AlternateNu posted:

:confused: I don't recall any trick questions or ones with multiple correct answers.

there's too many to dig through, but I especially recall the phrasing being bad in some of the questions Morgana tries to lead you through in two parts

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Gunned through the first couple palaces and am both awed by how much easier they've made them (since they're the two biggest roadblocks early on) and then lamenting every time they added something else for me to spend time on.

So quick questions I guess:

-Is it easier or harder to max out everybody? I'm assuming it's easier since you get more time, but you've got two new links, so I don't know how much wriggle room you have.

-Does throwing darts give any SL points or is it just for improving Baton Passes? Haven't actually tried it past the forced one.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I believe they do give s link points, and you should play darts and max out Baton Pass ranks wherever possible. Baton Pass is waaaay more fun to use this time around.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

ApplesandOranges posted:

Gunned through the first couple palaces and am both awed by how much easier they've made them (since they're the two biggest roadblocks early on) and then lamenting every time they added something else for me to spend time on.

So quick questions I guess:

-Is it easier or harder to max out everybody? I'm assuming it's easier since you get more time, but you've got two new links, so I don't know how much wriggle room you have.

-Does throwing darts give any SL points or is it just for improving Baton Passes? Haven't actually tried it past the forced one.

1) easier, especially if you go in knowing to wrangle a bunch of the 7-7.5 requests to do in mementos at once to save time. You need to get the new male confidant to 9 before 11/18, and the new female one to 5 before ... I think January? It's pretty hard to miss doing either of these if you keep on top of it, both are available fairly early, but don't forget about summer break for the male one, since you won't see him then.

2) It gives a whiff of social link points, but you'd be best served to not do it for that. If you get points during darts such that your partner would be able to end the game in round 4, and then pick whatever their correct dialogue option is (just look it up), they'll go from 1-3 instead of from 1-2. Then, when you can do it again with a new person right after (getting whatever points you want in darts is pretty easy) and the person who wants to play isn't someone who you've already finished this with, you can get 2 people from 1-3 in one afternoon with only some light save scumming--I think I only did darts like 4-5 times and that was with me being wasteful in winter.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The guys cracking the game and translating the unused scenes have put out a few more:
A scene with all the adult confidants chatting each other up. (And Lala-chan getting her groove on.)
Yusuke's mother's death.
A series of cutscenes from the last palace which seem to show additional video from the palace ruler's past.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

AlternateNu posted:

The guys cracking the game and translating the unused scenes have put out a few more:
A scene with all the adult confidants chatting each other up. (And Lala-chan getting her groove on.)
Yusuke's mother's death.
A series of cutscenes from the last palace which seem to show additional video from the palace ruler's past.

It isn't just yusuke's mom's death, it's a series of scenes that show the cause of the palace ruler's distortion; their original sin and how they came to excuse it away. Apparently all of the palace rulers have them, and they were intended to be shown when you pick up a will seed.

e: here's kamoshida's

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Huh, interesting. It's kinda neat to get some additional backstory for all the palace rulers, and it appears that was also the bones for the flashback scenes you actually do get in the final palace.

That said I do see why they were cut. Kamoshida's backstory is somewhat interesting, but honestly as an audience we don't need to see it because it has no bearing on the stakes. Learning his backstory isn't going to change anything in the way that say, learning Maruki's does. So I'm fine with them being a neat little cut content easter egg.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

Sydin posted:

Huh, interesting. It's kinda neat to get some additional backstory for all the palace rulers, and it appears that was also the bones for the flashback scenes you actually do get in the final palace.

That said I do see why they were cut. Kamoshida's backstory is somewhat interesting, but honestly as an audience we don't need to see it because it has no bearing on the stakes. Learning his backstory isn't going to change anything in the way that say, learning Maruki's does. So I'm fine with them being a neat little cut content easter egg.

While I agree that we don't need to know the stakes for them specifically, I think including them could have been useful for what the game pushes in the end; that the system itself is corrupt and ultimately ends up creating these people as well, that was the entire point of Mementos, and what made Akechi even remotely possible to sympathize with after all.
It definitely wouldn't have worked well with the pacing of the palaces though, even if they're thematically relevant.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah that's fair, although I do agree they would break the hell out of pacing. Madarame's also has the issue where him letting Yusuke's mom die in front of him instead of helping is the big reveal before you fight him, but gets spoiled by his will seed scenes.

That said Madarame's is interesting since it recontextualizes his decision as not so much him wanting money, but rather jealousy over Yusuke's mom's talent and painting, when he himself had spent his life trying to achieve that level but was held back by his own lack of talent.. I also like how each scene has a brief moment where we see a version of events where the rule followed their conscious and did the right thing. Like, there was a clear crystallizing moment where things could have gone differently and redeemed them, but instead they gave into their desires and solidified their palace.

These are all clearly unfinished since there's lots of placeholder models and missing animations, but I do hope these exist for the other rulers as well. Shido and Futaba's in particular would be really interesting.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Its really dope that Atlus' extended homage to Lupin III led anime studios to realize that theres still an audience for him and resurrecting his anime from the dead.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Hours of grinding (and some Treasure Traps) later, I have managed to fuse Satanael, and he is loving metal as hell, but

I think I might have hosed up his skill inheritance a little bit, most notably by forgetting to give him Spell Master, which in turn makes it kind of unsustainable to cast his 54-SP spells ever under any circumstances

Is there a way to "redo" fusing him to give him different skills from his constituent parts that doesn't involve me saving up another $infinity to resummon all of the required personas to fuse into him and then pay Igor another high-level-fusion bribe to mix them all together again?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

loquacius posted:

Hours of grinding (and some Treasure Traps) later, I have managed to fuse Satanael, and he is loving metal as hell, but

I think I might have hosed up his skill inheritance a little bit, most notably by forgetting to give him Spell Master, which in turn makes it kind of unsustainable to cast his 54-SP spells ever under any circumstances

Is there a way to "redo" fusing him to give him different skills from his constituent parts that doesn't involve me saving up another $infinity to resummon all of the required personas to fuse into him and then pay Igor another high-level-fusion bribe to mix them all together again?

Sacrificing a Persona into another can confer skills from the one being sacrificed into the base.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

ChaosArgate posted:

Sacrificing a Persona into another can confer skills from the one being sacrificed into the base.

Isn't this RNG-dependent, though? Like, I'd have to keep sacrificing Ishtar into Satanael over and over until Spell Master happened to be the one skill that got passed on?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

loquacius posted:

Isn't this RNG-dependent, though? Like, I'd have to keep sacrificing Ishtar into Satanael over and over until Spell Master happened to be the one skill that got passed on?

It is, but you can save in the Velvet Room right before you do it and save yourself however much cash it would cost to resummon Ishtar.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

loquacius posted:

I have a related question - some of the guides say he has a unique skill called Seven Sins Shell or something, but my version only has a top-end gun skill it shares with some other personas - Riot Gun I think. I got him to max level. Did I mess up the fusion or something, or is that a localization thing?

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Ultiville posted:

I have a related question - some of the guides say he has a unique skill called Seven Sins Shell or something, but my version only has a top-end gun skill it shares with some other personas - Riot Gun I think. I got him to max level. Did I mess up the fusion or something, or is that a localization thing?

it's the name of the story skill you use to end the fight in the second to last palace, so they're probably pulling it from that, since it's probably technically the same thing, if I had to guess

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

loquacius posted:

I’m pretty sure sataneal has victory cry, you shouldn’t have to worry about sp ever.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Ultiville posted:

Sadly, Sinful Shell is plot only. There is technically a placeholder for it in the game’s code, but it only exists to make that one scene possible. Hacking it into actual use results in a spell that does 1 damage.

Sydin posted:

Yeah that's fair, although I do agree they would break the hell out of pacing. Madarame's also has the issue where him letting Yusuke's mom die in front of him instead of helping is the big reveal before you fight him, but gets spoiled by his will seed scenes.

That said Madarame's is interesting since it recontextualizes his decision as not so much him wanting money, but rather jealousy over Yusuke's mom's talent and painting, when he himself had spent his life trying to achieve that level but was held back by his own lack of talent.. I also like how each scene has a brief moment where we see a version of events where the rule followed their conscious and did the right thing. Like, there was a clear crystallizing moment where things could have gone differently and redeemed them, but instead they gave into their desires and solidified their palace.

These are all clearly unfinished since there's lots of placeholder models and missing animations, but I do hope these exist for the other rulers as well. Shido and Futaba's in particular would be really interesting.

I wouldn’t mind seeing a few more of these. Honestly, even voice only versions of the scenes would be nice to hear after grabbing the Will Seeds. It would also help hammer home that the things embody the various self delusions necessary to expand the twisted mindsets the Palaces represent.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

A talking coyote posted:

I’m pretty sure sataneal has victory cry, you shouldn’t have to worry about sp ever.

On the one hand yes, on the other hand I wanna use him as a boss buster too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

P5 Royal is on sale on PSN right now, ends on 6/18.