Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I’m not sure what I thought As Good As It Gets was about but good lord is that movie hosed up. Helen Hunt deserved a better career

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Lurdiak posted:

There's really not that many jokes in it. There's a few comedically absurd lines, there's the batcard, there's a few funny visuals, but for the most part it's just dumb, not comedic. And no one seems to understand what the tone of their performance should be, least of all George Clooney, who is straight up asleep.

Arnold understood.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I wish post-Coen Clooney had a shot at the role. He could've crushed it.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

I wish post-Coen Clooney had a shot at the role. He could've crushed it.

“I’m the drat Bat-erfamilias!”

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Coffee And Pie posted:

How much time is supposed to have passed between the Maitlands dying and the Deetz moving in?

I always assumed it was a pretty short time, but considering the attitudes and style now I’m wondering if they were supposed to be from the 50s.

It can't have been a number of decades because the Maitlands' decorator gives Lydia the attic key.

Grendels Dad posted:

Arnold understood.

He was in Commando, of course he got it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

CPL593H posted:

It can't have been a number of decades because the Maitlands' decorator gives Lydia the attic key.

Yeah, it was just a few weeks. The only significant time jump in the film is when we see them arrive back into their home post-rennovation. The realtor is the obvious link between pre and post death, but you can also look at the cars from when they're alive.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I think this means I’m due to rewatch Beetlejuice.

pospysyl posted:

Batman and Robin's script is very funny, and intentionally so, but the actual movie is ugly as sin. None of the props or sets have any substance to them, the neon lighting isn't actually colorful, just garish, and outside of Thurman and Schwarzenegger the acting is lifeless.

Ugliness works much better in Howard's Grinch, which is about feeling miserable during the holidays. The poor lighting is evocative of seasonal affective disorder and the cramped sets evoke the feeling of being stuck in crowded parties all the time. The holiday props aren't enticing or comforting. Everyone looks miserable and tired, which is exactly right. What's bad about the movie is that it's way too horny.

Where does the Cat in the Hat play into this?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Grendels Dad posted:

Arnold understood.

Possibly. Uma Thurman definitely did. Alicia Silverstone? Chris O'Donell? Any given extra? They were loving lost. I blame that on the director.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I forget, does the movie keep the song where the judge cums while whipping himself and peeping on Johanna?

Nah there's just the one shot of Rickman looking through the keyhole.

I forget if they kept that in when I saw a stage production of it, I think the song was in but I don't remember how exactly the scene played.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Honestly I get the impression Tim Burton isn't sexless, he's just less horny than almost every other artistic director.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, it was just a few weeks. The only significant time jump in the film is when we see them arrive back into their home post-rennovation. The realtor is the obvious link between pre and post death, but you can also look at the cars from when they're alive.

I was going to make note of the cars but I was also thinking that Edward Scissorhands is full of deliberate anachronisms so I figured Jane was a more reliable indicator.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Gripweed posted:

If he wasn't allowed to flesh out the dwarfs, he should've turned in a treatment that fleshed out the giant spider. A solid hour of flashbacks explaining the giant spider's backstory, lots of time with the giant spider's giant family, a love interest, a nemesis, just tons of giant spider content.

The game Middle-Earth: Shadow of War fleshed out Shelob and it turns out that makes her look like Milla Jovovich.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Twitter locked me out of my account for "possibly being a bot" after I retweeted some BLM stuff and now it's asking for my phone number to "confirm I'm a real person".

Very subtle and convincing.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Twitter locked me out of my account for "possibly being a bot" after I retweeted some BLM stuff and now it's asking for my phone number to "confirm I'm a real person".

Very subtle and convincing.

It's one big campaign to discover who is the President of Antifa.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CPL593H posted:

At least I was able to tell that one cop he looks like Toxic Avenger before getting got.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

CPL593H posted:

It's me.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
There were probably a lot of steps toward this decision to mail bananas to nurses and I want an oral history of it

https://twitter.com/FarzEdraki/status/1268316973189836800

A company that owns an old folks home also mailed a friend of mine who works there a "care package", but at least it had like, chocolate in it

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jun 4, 2020

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hey everyone, our friend Timby needs help yet again. This time the loving bank screwed him over and hit him with an unwanted automatic transaction and overdraft fees and is completely refusing to help him reverse it even though it's well within their power to do so. So if you can donate to his paypal at tbrechlin@gmail.com, you would be doing a very unlucky man a solid. During times of crisis like this, it's more important than ever to protect the little guy from heartless corporate entities.

If you donate, let me know in a post or a PM, and I'll add your contribution to the total:

Timby's considering selling some of his prized possessions if he can't come up with this money soon, and ebay's being a dick about letting him list anything right now.

E: We already have another donation:

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jun 4, 2020

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Lurdiak posted:

Hey everyone, our friend Timby needs help yet again. This time the loving bank screwed him over and hit him with an unwanted automatic transaction and overdraft fees and is completely refusing to help him reverse it even though it's well within their power to do so. So if you can donate to his paypal at tbrechlin@gmail.com, you would be doing a very unlucky man a solid. During times of crisis like this, it's more important than ever to protect the little guy from heartless corporate entities.

If you donate, let me know in a post or a PM, and I'll add your contribution to the total:

Timby's considering selling some of his prized possessions if he can't come up with this money soon, and ebay's being a dick about letting him list anything right now.

I’d rather donate to pay for a lawyer to sue his loving bank. Assholes

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Mierenneuker posted:

The game Middle-Earth: Shadow of War fleshed out Shelob and it turns out that makes her look like Milla Jovovich.

That should've been in the movie

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

If they're going to adapt any sci-fi or fantasy franchise into movies, the default should be that it's gonna star Milla Jovovich. If they came up with a different better idea, sure go ahead, but Milla Jovovich should be the go-to option.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

Plus the boring rear end characters, or lack thereof. I know that Jackson has said that the studio wouldn't allow him to focus on fleshing out the dwarves as characters, but as soon as you hear that edict how do you not use every ounce of your clout to push back or quit?
My mind is blown! Do you have a source for that?

Splint Chesthair posted:

“I’m the drat Bat-erfamilias!”
Fantastic.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

fenix down posted:

My mind is blown! Do you have a source for that?

I think I first heard about it in the Lindsay Ellis videos, but I've seen it elsewhere too.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

We're making swift progress. Let's do this, goons!

therattle posted:

I'd rather donate to pay for a lawyer to sue his loving bank. Assholes

Yeah it's monstrous. I honestly think that corporations increase their bastardness during times like covid/these protests because they know people won't have the emotional energy to fight them off, and no one in the media's gonna pay attention. In the aftermath of every big crisis in the last 20 years (and I'm sure beyond) you have all these stories of corps descending on the most vulnerable in our society like vultures, instead of showing an iota of compassion like you might expect.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I'm surprised that no one mentioned this (which admittedly isn't really all that shocking):

https://news.avclub.com/amc-theatres-now-has-substantial-doubt-that-it-can-st-1843883594

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Disney's next acquisition target, just gotta let AMC bleed a little more than scoop them up on the cheap.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Looking good. Remember, that's @tbrechlin@gmail.com to give via paypal.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

We busted past that in record time! Thanks a lot everyone, and if you have some spare extra dollars Timby could still probably use them, things were tight for him even before his bank hosed him over.

E:

More! More dollars for the Tim-man!

E:2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9Vmx8BcmdY

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 4, 2020

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Coming Soon

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
YessssssSSS

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
David Lynch is pretty cool

quote:

David Lynch has been posting weather report videos every day to his official YouTube page since May 11, but he spruced up the set for his June 3 installment with a Black Lives Matter sign placed behind him. Lynch’s handmade sign also included the following phrase: “Peace. Justice. No Fear.” The sign debuted amid this week’s global protests over the death of George Floyd. Ever one of Lynch’s daily weather videos have run around 40 seconds, but his latest ran 90 seconds and ended with the sign in focus and Lynch offscreen.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

NIIIIIIIIIIIIICCCCCEEEEEEEE

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

My body is ready.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Here's 25 minutes of Orson Welles and Peter O'Toole chatting about Shakespeare's Hamlet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smMa38CZCSU

Hopefully this means a spire will pierce through whoever rear end in a top hat caused this.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/Jee_vuh/status/1268589156143431682?s=20

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Egbert Souse posted:

Here's 25 minutes of Orson Welles and Peter O'Toole chatting about Shakespeare's Hamlet

gently caress this is great but how cruel to hear Peter O'Toole go "ok here's all the types of ghosts" and then have it cut off right after the first one.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I have no suggestions as to what films should be shown.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Actually, you know what? Cotton Comes to Harlem is not at all a "z-grade" or "so bad it's good" movie. It's genuinely great.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

:O

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Egbert Souse posted:

This is really good stuff. I especially dug the comparison of Laertes and Hamlet with Fortinbras.