Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Group texts always seem to be a bit buggy, anyone else find that?

I sometimes have to switch numbers/people out of work texts, but it never goes quite as smoothly. For example, guy on the team has a work phone now so we need to change over to that, but if I delete his number and add the new one to his card, when I form the new group my phone still thinks 'ah this is the same people as the previous group' and just sends the message to the old number. I'm guessing deleting his card entirely and rebuilding would work, but it should be smarter than that.

Have also had similar issues when a work phone is transferred from one person to another, and it gets alll kinds of confused. Shouldn't be as difficult as it is!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Finally got those AirPods Pro after some issues with Amazon. drat they're nice. I've never had headphones with ANC and it's like some voodoo black magic poo poo.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

Group texts always seem to be a bit buggy, anyone else find that?

I sometimes have to switch numbers/people out of work texts, but it never goes quite as smoothly. For example, guy on the team has a work phone now so we need to change over to that, but if I delete his number and add the new one to his card, when I form the new group my phone still thinks 'ah this is the same people as the previous group' and just sends the message to the old number. I'm guessing deleting his card entirely and rebuilding would work, but it should be smarter than that.

Have also had similar issues when a work phone is transferred from one person to another, and it gets alll kinds of confused. Shouldn't be as difficult as it is!

if i search for a contact i wanna add to an imessage chain, i'm presented with any numbers i have for them and can choose one, i'm surprised that doesn't happen in that instance.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

sleepwalkers posted:

if i search for a contact i wanna add to an imessage chain, i'm presented with any numbers i have for them and can choose one, i'm surprised that doesn't happen in that instance.

That’s the crazy thing, it does give the prompt and I choose the new number but it still does this reasoning of ‘oh all these names exist in a conversation already’ and override it. Same when the old number is removed entirely.

This is a Group MMS because 2 people have android phones, but it being funny with numbers also happens in the iMessage chat too. I hate the videos in Group MMS so much, they’re back to mid 90s postage stamp sizes. When we move to WhatsApp it will be easier at least.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I’m suddenly seeing more ads, which is quite irritating. Am I the only one? It usually happens an blog type sites like Macrumors etc where I get some sort of pop up like ads in my innocent face.

I’m using Crystal, Firefox Focus and 1Blocker. I probably got all three one time to make sure that everything was stopped but, alas, that is no longer the case.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I just spent a couple of minutes scrolling around the site and didn't see any adds. I'm using Safari + AdBlock Pro.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I have 1blocker and just checked macrumors. I don't see ads.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

macrumors looks fine to me too but i have noticed that their sister site “toucharcade” is somehow able to get around 1blocker. possibly related?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Either the ads are being served from the same domain as the site, or there's something you're using injecting ads.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Thanks for the feedback. Something fishy is going on for sure and I don’t like it one bit.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Xabi posted:

I’m suddenly seeing more ads, which is quite irritating. Am I the only one? It usually happens an blog type sites like Macrumors etc where I get some sort of pop up like ads in my innocent face.

I’m using Crystal, Firefox Focus and 1Blocker. I probably got all three one time to make sure that everything was stopped but, alas, that is no longer the case.

Have you made sure their filter lists are up to date? Background app permissions allowed for 'em so they can do that?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Yes, for all of them.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I’m eligible for an iPhone upgrade today through Apple’s upgrade program. I’ve got an XS now and am thinking I should just go for the 11 Pro. I like the super wide camera.

Is there any reason to hold off, other than new phones in the fall? Any ‘game changing’ stuff on the horizon?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

frogbs posted:

I’m eligible for an iPhone upgrade today through Apple’s upgrade program. I’ve got an XS now and am thinking I should just go for the 11 Pro. I like the super wide camera.

Is there any reason to hold off, other than new phones in the fall? Any ‘game changing’ stuff on the horizon?

The scuttlebutt is that the new phones will be delayed a bit due to COVID19. If you can wait 5 months or so, sure, wait. Otherwise what's out now is fine.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

New phones will have a new form factor, apparently have a smaller notch.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

frogbs posted:

I’d just wait for the new ones.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Jose Oquendo posted:

The scuttlebutt is that the new phones will be delayed a bit due to COVID19. If you can wait 5 months or so, sure, wait. Otherwise what's out now is fine.

Thanks!

I tried to find this on apple’s site, but it wasn’t clear. Will they send me the new phone first before I have to send back my current phone, or do I have to send my current phone first?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

frogbs posted:

Thanks!

I tried to find this on apple’s site, but it wasn’t clear. Will they send me the new phone first before I have to send back my current phone, or do I have to send my current phone first?

They send you the new phone first, along with a return kit for your old one. You don't need to return the box or anything else, just the phone.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

frogbs posted:

An entire G!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Xabi posted:

Thanks for the feedback. Something fishy is going on for sure and I don’t like it one bit.

Does it do it on both WiFi and mobile? Do you have a VPN app installed by chance?

e: If yes to vpn, it might be injecting ads. Try getting rid of it. If it only happens for WiFi or for specific WiFi, go to Settings app, WiFi name, the “i” button, and configure DNS. Delete whatever is there and add 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 .

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jun 7, 2020

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

Does it do it on both WiFi and mobile? Do you have a VPN app installed by chance?

e: If yes to vpn, it might be injecting ads. Try getting rid of it. If it only happens for WiFi or for specific WiFi, go to Settings app, WiFi name, the “i” button, and configure DNS. Delete whatever is there and add 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 .
It happens on both WiFi and mobile and deleting VPN didn’t solve it. I also tried deleting a couple of apps I’d installed lately but that didn’t fix it either. The strange thing is that it’s only happening on the phone, not the iPad.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Wow, iPhones are big pieces of poo poo!

I have an iPhone 7 here with 128GB storage. All I want to do is just use the default recording app to record a day of video as an offline security camera.

- Updated to iOS 13, went into the camera settings and picked 1080p at 30fps, High Efficiency format (which is supposed to br HEVC)

- Recorded a 60 second video, which shows up in Windows when viewing the DCIM folder as a 121 MB .mov file. VLC claims it is h.264 and not h.265 for some reason. File is still huge even for h.264; that's less than 24 hours when recording calculators tell me 1080p30 HEVC should get like 7 days on 128GB of storage.

- Set it to 720p30 and recorded another 60 second video, this one is 81 MB... that doesn't even make sense.

- Figured maybe there's some kind of conversion going on with the file viewer I'm using, to I tried to download iCloud. iCloud is only offered in the loving Microsoft Store for some reason, and the install fails no matter how many times I restart the PC. If anyone has a mirror for the old iCloud windows desktop app, please let me know.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

There are apps that will do that. I’m not sure why anyone would expect the default app to be able to do that.

You could probably do a time lapse though.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

MarcusSA posted:

There are apps that will do that. I’m not sure why anyone would expect the default app to be able to do that.

You could probably do a time lapse though.

You're not sure why I would expect the default video app to record a video?

or you're not sure why I'm expecting the default app to save in HEVC codec when it is set to HEVC codec in the settings...

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

He probably means you wanting to use the phone as a security camera, as opposed to the specific issue you’re running into.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

He probably means you wanting to use the phone as a security camera, as opposed to the specific issue you’re running into.

Yeah this. They have apps that will do this.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
That sounds to me like the setting that re-encodes the video (and still images that are saved in HEIC) when accessed from in the digital camera mode for maximum compatibility.
Try turning that off.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

- Recorded a 60 second video, which shows up in Windows when viewing the DCIM folder as a 121 MB .mov file. VLC claims it is h.264 and not h.265 for some reason. File is still huge even for h.264; that's less than 24 hours when recording calculators tell me 1080p30 HEVC should get like 7 days on 128GB of storage.

1080p30fps h264 = 16mbit source
1080p30 h265 = 8.5? 10.1? mbit

(100gigabytes / 16 megabit) seconds in hours = 13.8 hours

(100gigabytes / 8.5 megabit) seconds in hours = 26.1 hours

(100gigabytes / 10.1 megabit) seconds in hours = 22 hours

Don't know why you expected 7 days, that's ridiculous, you should know better.

Yes, it converts from HEVC to a most-compatible format when you export it to a device that doesn't support it. You'll have to move the HEVC file directly. You can connect with USB.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jun 8, 2020

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

~Coxy posted:

That sounds to me like the setting that re-encodes the video (and still images that are saved in HEIC) when accessed from in the digital camera mode for maximum compatibility.
Try turning that off.

If you're talking about "Settings -> Camera -> Formats" then it has been on "High Efficiency" instead of "Most Compatible" this whole time.

I found an app called "4K Recorder" that properly records in HEVC, but the file can't be saved to a PC until it is first "saved to camera roll" which can't be done if the file is more than half the size of the phone's storage.

Is there a windows app that will let me browse all the actual saved files on the phone, so I can get to the original HEVC file that the 4K Recorder app created?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

If you're talking about "Settings -> Camera -> Formats"

Settings -> Photos -> Transfer to Mac or PC

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Pivo posted:

Settings -> Photos -> Transfer to Mac or PC

Ah OK, that worked to let me drag files to windows as HEVC. Very intuitive to put the video in Photos settings. Thanks!

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

Ah OK, that worked to let me drag files to windows as HEVC. Very intuitive to put the video in Photos settings. Thanks!

You're the fuckwit using a phone as a security camera so let's not get into what's intuitive.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I'd buy an Apple GoPro.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'm guessing the idea was to repurpose an otherwise unused old device, which I can't fault

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Rinkles posted:

I'm guessing the idea was to repurpose an otherwise unused old device, which I can't fault

Yes, I am serving papers on a trespasser who won't get off my property so I just need a camera on the entrance for a couple days in case he starts poo poo with the constable or trashes the place on the way out etc.

I'm just astounded at how unbelievably bad the process is, compared to my Android which is "push button, get .mp4 hevc file.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

The Photos app is how you would normally interact with photos or videos taken on the phone which is why it's there.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I had a buddy who was a dev and got roped into doing some iOS work and he was always complaining about things not working when the reality was he just hadn't read the documentation; things didn't work identically to Android dev & Windows dev tools so he approached every problem with "this is loving stupid Apple is stupid" rather than "maybe I hadn't read enough about this"

I mean, Apple dev tools are unintuitive and can often be buggy, but if you complain about everything by default then your complaints have no merit

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Yes, I am serving papers on a trespasser who won't get off my property so I just need a camera on the entrance for a couple days in case he starts poo poo with the constable or trashes the place on the way out etc.

I'm just astounded at how unbelievably bad the process is, compared to my Android which is "push button, get .mp4 hevc file.

So use your Android.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I am trying to get this screw into my table and this piece of poo poo hammer isn't doing it right!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

So use your Android.

Gonna guess they’re using their android as their actual phone, and the old unused iPhone with a lot of internal storage that was in a drawer as the security cam