Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

i'm pooping a lot in lockdown, not sure if its stress or diet... or both

or too much irn bru making my insides basically a tube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

starting this week I've been put on furlough till July
sorry guys, it's my fault the sunny weather's over. can't have that during my funemployment

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Ministers taking the decision on pubs etc on July 4th. Gonna go ahead and assume they will say go for it, keep the tables apart, set limits on customers etc.

I wont bother going in until winter at the earliest, the prospect of queuing outside for an hour while I wait for a table to finish up, only to be rushed into finishing my pint by the barman does not sound appealing at all.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

el dingo posted:

Ministers taking the decision on pubs etc on July 4th. Gonna go ahead and assume they will say go for it, keep the tables apart, set limits on customers etc.

I wont bother going in until winter at the earliest, the prospect of queuing outside for an hour while I wait for a table to finish up, only to be rushed into finishing my pint by the barman does not sound appealing at all.

Boycott Wetherspoons and other chains, support your local independent pubs (if there are any near you.)

As soon as pubs are allowed to open, small independent ones are going to close if they don't get as much custom as is safely possible :(

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jun 5, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Cerv posted:

starting this week I've been put on furlough till July
sorry guys, it's my fault the sunny weather's over. can't have that during my funemployment

I've had to borrow more money off family because due to how loving useless one of the companies involved in my employment are I missed the cut off for Mays furlough pay and will have gone 6 weeks before I get money on Friday and even then it's only for 3 of the 6 weeks

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

el dingo posted:

some of the pubs around me are doing the 'sell beer for takeaway only' thing which has resulted most days in 30/40 people perching on fences and leaning against walls and generally using the street outside the pub as an impromptu beer garden

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Ninja is supreme and you have double-crossed it!
Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer
My pub is currently in discussions as to what we're going to do to reopen and what the logistics would be. There's only three of us working there so we'll likely have 1-2 people working and probably open a bit later in the afternoon maybe? We can reasonably fit maybe 16 tables of 6 outside while keeping to minimum distances. If we do it by table booking only it's going to be very difficult for most of our older internetless customers to find out about this unless they come by and see the sandwich board and it's going to be difficult to make people leave because someone else has the table booked, which isn't really in the spirit of pub. But if we do just FCFS it's going to alienate a lot of regulars who turn up and expect us to have space for them because they've been coming to the pub most nights for the past 10+ years but find it's full of students who live next door to the pub.

Odds are we'll just split the difference and have tables bookable if you're ordering a meal and FCFS if you're just going to be drinking.

And also if the weather's poo poo we only have canopy space for like maybe 12 people maximum so ????

And yeah takeaway pints probably because we're right next to a park.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Jose posted:

I've had to borrow more money off family because due to how loving useless one of the companies involved in my employment are I missed the cut off for Mays furlough pay and will have gone 6 weeks before I get money on Friday and even then it's only for 3 of the 6 weeks

poo poo that's awful :(
why are HR depts always so bad at everything

O.N.E
Jun 4, 2020

Dell_Zincht posted:

Boycott Wetherspoons and other chains, support your local independent pubs (if there are any near you.)

As soon as pubs are allowed to open, small independent ones are going to close if they don't get as much custom as is safely possible :(

I can't see many smaller pubs making it TBQH. First and foremost there are many who will not be able to operate "socially distanced" at all. Amongst those who can, 20/25 people seated who require table service wont be putting much over the bar in comparison to the potential hundred or so mingling customers who were there in "the before time". So... You have the same rates/outgoings, very likely a higher staff budget to allow for table service and a considerably smaller take. This in an industry that was already struggling.

I recall a rule of thumb about the viability of opening a bar on a particular day/evening/whatever being that you had to realistically capable of lifting three times the staff's wages to be looking at being capable of breaking even... More to actually make money.

Unless something moves very quickly, non-chain hospitality in this country will probably die of Covid19. It was already vulnerable.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Cerv posted:

poo poo that's awful :(
why are HR depts always so bad at everything

HR's job is to minimise the amount of money they pay employees. Notice I didn't say "legally minimise".

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I think the lockdown's finally getting to me, I only found out it was Friday today just now when I asked my boss if I could take some annual leave tomorrow...

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Edit: I misread last post.

My week is

Bin day
Recycling day
Monday? :confused:
Ru Pauls Drag Race day (Saturday morning for us)
Sainsbury's delivery day (Thursday or Friday?)
???
Do weeks still have Tuesdays.?
and my favorite, "Was that yesterday?" "No it was two weeks ago" exchanges between me and my gf.

Galewolf fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jun 5, 2020

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

All pubs should stay closed forever imo

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

A lot of the once-independent pubs near me got bought out by a handful of local entrepreneurs over the past few years.

They've had to raise prices, cram as many people in as possible and bring in minimum-wage staff to replace the old hands who were on better wages. Even then, they were just about paying back the loans they took out to buy out the pubs in the first place. I can't see them coming out of this unscathed.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Also if you can find it, Irn-Bru 1901 comes in glass bottles and is the original full-sugar recipe from before the sugar tax came in.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

StabMasterArson posted:

All pubs should stay closed forever imo

Mods?

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

I'm pretty sure the pubs and bars belonging to groups and investors be okay-ish along with open air places like Mercato Metropolitano or Flat Iron Square as the can technically cram more people outside but my favorite dungeonesque bars are hosed.

I expect lots of EDM venues to close as well because their literally gimmick is cramming people yakked out of their brains into dark basements.

Speaking of, no Glasto this year so we don't get to laugh at people paying hundreds of pounds to get rained on and roll in the mud.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

This year was Rage Against the Machine reunion tour and I was bummed that it would get cancelled but apparently the August section including Reading is still slated to happen. That might be an interesting place to get the roni.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

it's not going to happen sorry. but the longer they put off announcing that, the longer they don't have to issue any refunds.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Socially Distanced Moshpit is my band's name

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

Socially Distanced Moshpit is my band's name

Smosh pistance

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Yeh I've had king krule punted into next year and who knows with kurt vile. Sucks yo

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

90s anti-rave plod could only dream of such a future as this.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

anyone taken part in any of the protests? i'm scared i got the roni now but it was probably worth it

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Cerv posted:

it's not going to happen sorry. but the longer they put off announcing that, the longer they don't have to issue any refunds.

I expected much so, still, hope is one hell of a drug. :smith:

Their free concert in 2010 in Finsbury Park happened because a married couple nominated "Killing in the name of" for No.1 Christmas song because they hated Simon Cowell produced songs dominating lists. Things escalated into RATM getting back together and basically being declared pariahs for the audacity to have a free concert in London (Zak mentions that how surprised he was because how many old friendships and bridges they had to burn because they wanted to have a free concert).

The clips from the concert look and sound baller as gently caress:

Opening "Testify": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm7ych5qH14

Killing in the Name of: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8XiUrpn6u4

O.N.E
Jun 4, 2020

BMX Ninja posted:

A lot of the once-independent pubs near me got bought out by a handful of local entrepreneurs over the past few years.

They've had to raise prices, cram as many people in as possible and bring in minimum-wage staff to replace the old hands who were on better wages. Even then, they were just about paying back the loans they took out to buy out the pubs in the first place. I can't see them coming out of this unscathed.

Most NI pubs are still "independent" though. We don't have the chain pubs they do across the water, Wetherspoons being the obvious exception.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Cerv posted:

Most definitely isn’t. This is my industry. Losing Glastonbury is also a huge blow to many other sectors, it’s all fun sniping at it out of envy or misunderstandings but the impact to a huge swaths of our country’s escapism outlets will be felt for many years to come.

That little bit more anger at work, the little bit more disconnected feeling from your personal projects.

Everyone’s got a vice of some kind, and that’s important to have to release the pressure of daily bullshit. Don’t hate on others just because their preference doesn’t vibe with yours, or we all end up as curtain twitching closet Tories.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Galewolf posted:

I expected much so, still, hope is one hell of a drug. :smith:

Their free concert in 2010 in Finsbury Park happened because a married couple nominated "Killing in the name of" for No.1 Christmas song because they hated Simon Cowell produced songs dominating lists. Things escalated into RATM getting back together and basically being declared pariahs for the audacity to have a free concert in London (Zak mentions that how surprised he was because how many old friendships and bridges they had to burn because they wanted to have a free concert).

The clips from the concert look and sound baller as gently caress:

Opening "Testify": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm7ych5qH14

Killing in the Name of: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8XiUrpn6u4

I was there for that, good day.

Police didn't let us leave for ages afterwards, though.

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

Neurophonic posted:

Most definitely isn’t. This is my industry. Losing Glastonbury is also a huge blow to many other sectors, it’s all fun sniping at it out of envy or misunderstandings but the impact to a huge swaths of our country’s escapism outlets will be felt for many years to come.

That little bit more anger at work, the little bit more disconnected feeling from your personal projects.

Everyone’s got a vice of some kind, and that’s important to have to release the pressure of daily bullshit. Don’t hate on others just because their preference doesn’t vibe with yours, or we all end up as curtain twitching closet Tories.

LOL there’s plenty of tories at Glastonbury every year

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Captain Splendid posted:

I was there for that, good day.

Police didn't let us leave for ages afterwards, though.

I'm legit envious of you because that looks like one of those "I was there" moments. I can't even imagine a concert like that happening and people not going mental in the current situation.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Bored? Lonely?

We're jacking off together on Jackbox (lots of fun games) on Discord

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3733476&pagenumber=1889&perpage=40#post505459623

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Neurophonic posted:

Enjoying the twitching closet isn't limited by political outlook.

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Ninja is supreme and you have double-crossed it!
Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-52939446

"Mr Seely said he and his girlfriend met the man for a work-related discussion and ate "half a sausage", but did not enter the house or have a drink."

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

:chloe:

This is the UK lockdown thread, have a bit of pride :colbert:

Its just regular dance music over here :britain:

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

I legit thought "ate half a sausage" was an euphemism for group sex before the twitter embed loaded properly and now I'm disappointed that it's not anything of that sort.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Skarsnik posted:

:chloe:

This is the UK lockdown thread, have a bit of pride :colbert:

Its just regular dance music over here :britain:

That's one more question I'll be failing on my citizenship exam after the difference between chips and crisps :negative:

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

“Half a sausage” is approximately 0.5 more in sausage terms of an excuse than Dom Cummings came up with, they’re getting better.

Next time “I had one slice of pavlova and then went home”

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

i've done the needful

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

How poo poo were these sausages that they couldn't finish a whole one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

perhaps they were simply very large