Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ednamamame posted:

To be fair to Zira's death, that was down to cutting to hide the fact that she actually killed herself there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoctlRyGdf8

It's such a shame Lion King 2 was at the very start of the DVD craze. Imagine if it had the same animation quality as the goddamn Timon and Pumbaa movie!

Still kinda crazy that while The Lion King 2 ripped Romeo and Juliet, the Timon and Pumbaa movie is in turn Rozencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead.

Also there's technically been two spin-off cartoons to The Lion King.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ungulateman posted:

treasure planet bombed because it was expensive to make and so disney didn't bother advertising it and let it die, paving the way to killing off all future 2d animation forever, as part of their plan

It's also not that good.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

paradoxGentleman posted:

The thing is, though, Hercules isn't really trying to be faithful to Greek mythology. I'd go as far as to say that that and Hunchback needed some degree of sanitation before being peddled to kids. I doubt the average ten years old would have survived unscarred from watching the protagonist he's been cheering for kill his own wife and children.

Yeah it's really easy to see why they didn't go with the "real" story, and it's not like that stuff is all 100% consistent anyway.

Lindsay Ellis did a good analysis of it, as usual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KznZcK7ksf4

I agree that the tone is really inconsistent and the main character is super dull. (Basically the same problem Superman often has, which they obviously also borrowed really heavily from.) And interestingly, apparently it was made as sort of an obligation to support the team's real passion project at the time which was... Treasure Planet.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Ednamamame posted:

To be fair to Zira's death, that was down to cutting to hide the fact that she actually killed herself there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoctlRyGdf8

It's such a shame Lion King 2 was at the very start of the DVD craze. Imagine if it had the same animation quality as the goddamn Timon and Pumbaa movie!

lol that fuckin owns, Zira's great.

EDIT: Oh wow the cut Nuka's last words is also pretty brutal.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Sir Lemming posted:

Yeah it's really easy to see why they didn't go with the "real" story, and it's not like that stuff is all 100% consistent anyway.

I agree that the tone is really inconsistent and the main character is super dull. (Basically the same problem Superman often has, which they obviously also borrowed really heavily from.) And interestingly, apparently it was made as sort of an obligation to support the team's real passion project at the time which was... Treasure Planet.

Bless my soul, Lindsay's on a roll...

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

The scene makes much more sense once you realize Zira killed herself, but you can see why Disney axed that idea.

Honestly, I'm still shocked they showed Clayton accidentally hanging himself in Tarzan.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Alhazred posted:

It's also not that good.

I dunno, worse things then Treasure Planet have been super successful. Also, way better things then treasure planet have bombed.

I'm not sure what I'm trying to say here, I guess that it's hard to predict what the public will latch on to.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Treasure Planet looked ugly as hell to me as a kid so I skipped it and I hold my taste to be universal

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I would say that there is a lot about it that is visually appealing, but not the main character. Also, frankly the main character looks like he's from a different movie, it's very jarring.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sir Lemming posted:

The tv series Hercules was a lot better than it should've been iirc. Or I might just be mixing it up quality wise with Aladdin's cartoon which was a blast.

The 90's were a golden age for Disney cartoons, and probably one of the weirdest but still fine ones was the Mighty Ducks cartoon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYwlXRVWCCI

Such a silly-rear end idea but it was pretty fun anyways.

PUCKWORLD, the planet shaped like a celestial hockey puck

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pick posted:

I would say that there is a lot about it that is visually appealing, but not the main character. Also, frankly the main character looks like he's from a different movie, it's very jarring.

Seems like a bit of a problem with a lot of movies that an imaginative setting and aesthetic is shackled to the most generic possible White Male Lead.

Another way Lilo and Stitch broke from the mould, come to think of it.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Captain Invictus posted:

The tv series Hercules was a lot better than it should've been iirc. Or I might just be mixing it up quality wise with Aladdin's cartoon which was a blast.

The Aladdin cartoon was a lot of fun and it’s a shame it isn’t up on Disney+. As a D&D nerd from a very young age, the series was like Al-Qadim come to life (that was their Vaguely Arabia Sword and Sandals campaign setting).

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Seems like a bit of a problem with a lot of movies that an imaginative setting and aesthetic is shackled to the most generic possible White Male Lead.

Another way Lilo and Stitch broke from the mould, come to think of it.

I think the idea is that you need an everyman to react to the weirdness going on and act as an audience surrogate. I am pretty sure that it's a dumb idea though. Give me 100% weirdness 110% of the time please and thank you.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

paradoxGentleman posted:

I think the idea is that you need an everyman to react to the weirdness going on and act as an audience surrogate.
I think that's why a lot of people have trouble with Primer. You never feel like you have an "in" to the story

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Honestly, even in the book and 90% of adaptations Jim Hawkins is the least interesting character since he's the viewpoint character that helps you get into the setting - you can see this issue with other 'viewpoint characters' like Final Fantasy's Vaan, that they end up being uninteresting or even obnoxious to the audience.

Having him be a rebellious teenager in trouble with the law instead of a modest, if impulsive kid is probably the biggest change.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 1, 2020

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I actually wasn't talking about him from a writing standpoint, I meant visually, the animation style.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Okay, yeah I give you that. He's really not that interesting visually either, though I did remember some girls having a crush on him, but pre-teen/teenage girls don't always have good taste (I want to kick my younger self for liking Miroku)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Vaan was literally a last minute addition when Squeenix's suits didn't want a female-led Final Fantasy iirc.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I’ll never watch Spies in Disguise but I’ve seen enough commercials to know that there is some sort of tearful hug between Will Smith bird and Peter Parker and some other pigeons and then Will Smith bird lays an egg so I have to ask is this addressed at any point why he’s laying an egg

Or was it a poop joke

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Vaan was literally a last minute addition when Squeenix's suits didn't want a female-led Final Fantasy iirc.

That is completely wrong Vann was added early in development when they decided to add a viewpoint character, also X-2 exists.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I’ll never watch Spies in Disguise but I’ve seen enough commercials to know that there is some sort of tearful hug between Will Smith bird and Peter Parker and some other pigeons and then Will Smith bird lays an egg so I have to ask is this addressed at any point why he’s laying an egg

Or was it a poop joke

Peter Parker hosed the bird.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Or was it a poop joke

That's actually foreshadowing believe it or not - The reason the initial antidotes fail is that the kid assumes it's a male bird so the potion is put together wrong - the egg part makes him realise that it's specifically his female pidgeon who's DNA Will Smith's has turned into so he's able to make the right antidote after that. So yes, Will doesn't turn into the pidgeon version of Will Smith, he turns into a specific, female pidgeon who was established prior. He just happened to be ovulating I guess.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Or was it a poop joke

Hard as it might be to believe, that's actually an extremely important plot point.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

Not gonna lie, I want to watch it now more because of those spoilers than any commercial or trailer

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I dunno, worse things then Treasure Planet have been super successful. Also, way better things then treasure planet have bombed.

I'm not sure what I'm trying to say here, I guess that it's hard to predict what the public will latch on to.

It's the title.

"Treasure Planet" is an awful title. Like, imagine you walk into a theatre and say "yeah, two tickets for Treasure Planet. I want to see the treasure planet".

The interesting/intriguing part of "Treasure Island" is the island. You're picturing this mysterious island - and, with a treasure hidden there, it must be very remote and dangerous. No kid is specifically interested in the 'treasure' part; the pile of gold coins is the appealing fantasy for adults. Y'know, people with financial burdens like rent or whatever. For kids, it's: "we're going on an adventure!"

When you have a Treasure Planet, you're immediately setting up some fairly effortless interstellar travel, which is also a pretty boring concept. It's the part in a given Star Wars that they largely skip over because nobody gives a poo poo. Moreover, the title makes the planet itself sound like it's made of treasure, like some kind of sparkling candyland. So we're promised a boring trip to a sparkly place, so we can pay our taxes. I imagine it's like going to church.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 2, 2020

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Planet Island

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

That's just making me think Mario Galaxy

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's the title.

"Treasure Planet" is an awful title. Like, imagine you walk into a theatre and say "yeah, two tickets for Treasure Planet. I want to see the treasure planet".

This is low effort, especially by your standards. All sorts of movies have boring or weird names and do fine.

quote:

When you have a Treasure Planet, you're immediately setting up some fairly effortless interstellar travel, which is also pretty a pretty boring concept. It's the part in a given Star Wars that they largely skip over because nobody gives a poo poo. Moreover, the title makes the planet itself sound like it's made of treasure, like some kind of sparkling candyland. So we're promised a boring trip to a sparkly place, so we can pay our taxes. I imagine it's like going to church.

I'm curious how you figure the title does this in a way that Treasure Island doesn't set up some fairly effortless sea travel.

Anyway, my read is that Treasure Planet failed financially because it tried to target a demographic that Disney had historically had problems with (boys, especially those in the dreaded tween years*) and it just...wasn't a good enough movie to break through that inertia. Like, we can all agree on that, right? It's definitely not bad, it probably deserves more praise than it gets, but its just not one of the studio's strongest outings.

*Disney's pushing of Stitch, who can be read as an "i'm a rebel, but in a cute way", a sort of the platonic, highly marketable version of a tween boy, can be seen as an artifact of this. And right around the same time period!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

So you're saying that Experiment 626 is Justin Beiber?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Pick posted:

Planet Island

In the history of really good titles: Forbidden Planet

Boxman posted:

This is low effort, especially by your standards. All sorts of movies have boring or weird names and do fine.
What, like The Good Dinosaur?

Never underestimate the power of an evocative title. Check this out:

Space Pirates

Give someone a choice between "Treasure Island" and "Space Pirates", and they're going to go with the latter every time.

Why? Think of the title as a two-word story or poem. "Space Pirates" evokes a bustling space economy that includes very organized space crime, so you're already getting a pretty good sense of the setting and its socioeconomic/political situation. It's also telling us that we're getting a specific focus on the astronaut gangsters doing spaceship combat. You might start speculating about what a Space Pirate would do, and what they might look like.

The dangers of sea travel are very different from the dangers of space travel, after all. Sea travel is crashing waves, maybe some kind of sea monster depending on how fantastical we get. Star Trek's warping is basically just accelerating in a straight line for several weeks, because we're talking incomprehensible speeds and distances where the typical asteroid belt or meteor shower plot device is just a blip on the radar. So where does the drama come from? I don't know, maybe the Space Pirates?

Meanwhile, if someone hearing about Treasure Planet understands the title as a reference to the Treasure Island book... well, doesn't the idea of "Treasure Island in space" degrade both concepts to some extent? You're both saying that this stupid old book needed some spicing up with a wacky high concept, while simultaneously announcing that your sci-fi story's going to be very traditional, comfortable and familiar.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I ordered The Secret of NIMH on bluray from the UK :3

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
So Pokemon Co. just released a Golden Age of Animation style short (Disney, Looney Toons, Fleisher, Tom and Jerry, et al). Not a 100% perfect in style, but more faithful that I would have imagined. The only thing that bugs me is having Zuruggu Scraggy as the lead, with how limited his design is in both expression and action (having to hold up his pants almost the entire time). But still, really neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u909_O6CqYc

But of course, the only thing that will be discussed for the next 2 pages is the moment at 2:50.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SomeJazzyRat posted:

So Pokemon Co. just released a Golden Age of Animation style short (Disney, Looney Toons, Fleisher, Tom and Jerry, et al). Not a 100% perfect in style, but more faithful that I would have imagined. The only thing that bugs me is having Zuruggu Scraggy as the lead, with how limited his design is in both expression and action (having to hold up his pants almost the entire time). But still, really neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u909_O6CqYc

But of course, the only thing that will be discussed for the next 2 pages is the moment at 2:50.
that's pretty cute.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

In the history of really good titles: Forbidden Planet
What, like The Good Dinosaur?

Never underestimate the power of an evocative title. Check this out:

Space Pirates

Give someone a choice between "Treasure Island" and "Space Pirates", and they're going to go with the latter every time.

Why? Think of the title as a two-word story or poem. "Space Pirates" evokes a bustling space economy that includes very organized space crime, so you're already getting a pretty good sense of the setting and its socioeconomic/political situation. It's also telling us that we're getting a specific focus on the astronaut gangsters doing spaceship combat. You might start speculating about what a Space Pirate would do, and what they might look like.

The dangers of sea travel are very different from the dangers of space travel, after all. Sea travel is crashing waves, maybe some kind of sea monster depending on how fantastical we get. Star Trek's warping is basically just accelerating in a straight line for several weeks, because we're talking incomprehensible speeds and distances where the typical asteroid belt or meteor shower plot device is just a blip on the radar. So where does the drama come from? I don't know, maybe the Space Pirates?

Meanwhile, if someone hearing about Treasure Planet understands the title as a reference to the Treasure Island book... well, doesn't the idea of "Treasure Island in space" degrade both concepts to some extent? You're both saying that this stupid old book needed some spicing up with a wacky high concept, while simultaneously announcing that your sci-fi story's going to be very traditional, comfortable and familiar.

No, you're so close but not quite there. The perfect title for Treasure Planet isn't Space Pirates, it's Star Pirates. Don't get me wrong, Space is good, but Star is even more evocative of action and excitement in the collective American subconscious. Star Wars, Star Trek, Hell we use the word star as a synonym for "important person you should pay attention to because they're so great at whatever it is they do". Star Pirates not only tells potential viewers that the pirates are adventuring through space, but also implies that these are are pirates of the highest quality. These are the kind of pirates you should be excited to see because drat are these some fantastic loving pirates having amazing adventures in space.

Star Pirates, boom, that's what it should have been. I mean it's not a foolproof plan, movie still could have bombed for other reasons, but say both "Treasure Planet" and "Star Pirates" out loud and see which one gets you more excited.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The perfect title can actually be derived from the full title of Treasure Island when it was originally serialised: "Treasure Island or the mutiny of the Hispaniola"

I contend that Treasure Planet should have been called Mutiny of the Hisspaniola (hiss because the captain is a cat lady)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

'Forbidden' is just a really good word. You can put that in front of anything to make a kickass title.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Hedrigall posted:

The perfect title can actually be derived from the full title of Treasure Island when it was originally serialised: "Treasure Island or the mutiny of the Hispaniola"

I contend that Treasure Planet should have been called Mutiny of the Hisspaniola (hiss because the captain is a cat lady)

Meowtiny of the Hisspaniola

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Ghost Leviathan posted:

'Forbidden' is just a really good word. You can put that in front of anything to make a kickass title.

Forbidden Fantasia sounds like a porno

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Forbidden Fun and Fancy Free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Meowtiny of the Hisspaniola