Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
No HDMI 2.1 sources can be tested right now. RTings is very clear about that in their CX review:

"According to the TV's specs, it supports 4k @ 120Hz with proper chroma 4:4:4, but it only works with HDMI 2.1 sources, which we can't test at the moment. We'll retest this when we have an HDMI 2.1 source. However, we were able to get it to 4k @ 120Hz with chroma 4:2:0."

The CX supports 4:2:0 subsampling, which effectively compresses the signal such that it fits under regular HDMI 2.0 headroom. So RTings is able to say "we tested this resolution at this frame rate" on the CX. The C9 does not support 4:2:0, so they can't test it.

Get what I'm saying here? No one is testing HDMI 2.1 capabilities here, they are testing the basic functionality of the TV using compressed data rates that the C9 doesn't support. It's basically a technicality because very few, if any people are trying to run a super-compressed 4K/120 signal in the first place. Better to just run 4K/60 at full fat until real HDMI 2.1 is here.

I maintain the same position I always have:

1) The C9 is at worst equivalent and at best superior to the CX (though I would argue superior, not just in price but in increased brightness and less buggy software, of course YMMV depending on your priorities)

2) There is absolutely no way for consumer-level testing of HDMI 2.1 right now, so both sets are equal in that regard. However I'll go out on a limb and say that we have no reason to suspect LG is lying, so... if you think they are, then fair enough I guess but it's not something I'm going to engage in personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

American McGay posted:

99% of people in this thread would be absolutely floored by a B9. The amount of fencesitting that happens here when you could be enjoying a great TV is sad.
For a while I was really thinking "well I can get a 55" C9 for xxxx so..." but aside from the processor, the B9 seemed just as good.

Now that I have it sitting at home, I don't really care about the processor! It's great! I know CelPhones have taught us that New = Better but the B9 is a real, real good screen.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

What would be a good TV around 40 inches with above average picture? I have a Toshiba 43 inch Amazon 4k I bought a few prime days ago. But the picture quality on it has never felt too great to me. I don't care much about price just something that looks good.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Not sure if I missed a reccomendation link in the OP but, what do gunes suggest for something around 500$~? Feature wise I am looking for smart/roku, plus maybe having HDMI 2.1, or display port as well for future gamin on whatever next gen crap comes out.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

dentist toy box posted:

What would be a good TV around 40 inches with above average picture? I have a Toshiba 43 inch Amazon 4k I bought a few prime days ago. But the picture quality on it has never felt too great to me. I don't care much about price just something that looks good.

I think at that size you're not going to find too much variance. Higher quality production is dedicated to larger panels. Someone else might have more specific recommendations.

Fat_Cow posted:

Not sure if I missed a reccomendation link in the OP but, what do gunes suggest for something around 500$~? Feature wise I am looking for smart/roku, plus maybe having HDMI 2.1, or display port as well for future gamin on whatever next gen crap comes out.

Size? Country?

If you're in the US, at that price point you're probably looking at the TCL 6-series, which is the thread's generic go-to for that budget. It's not the best LCD, but it's where you start to hit diminishing returns for funbux spent.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Boxman posted:

I think at that size you're not going to find too much variance. Higher quality production is dedicated to larger panels. Someone else might have more specific recommendations.

Size? Country?

If you're in the US, at that price point you're probably looking at the TCL 6-series, which is the thread's generic go-to for that budget. It's not the best LCD, but it's where you start to hit diminishing returns for funbux spent.

Yeah US. So this one https://www.amazon.com/TCL-4K-Smart-LED-65S425/dp/B07JKL2K5T?th=1 ?
What would be the next "step up" if I wanted to throw more funbucks around?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

6-series TCL is a good TV. I have recommended it to 3 people in my immediate life and they all love it.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Fat_Cow posted:

Yeah US. So this one https://www.amazon.com/TCL-4K-Smart-LED-65S425/dp/B07JKL2K5T?th=1 ?
What would be the next "step up" if I wanted to throw more funbucks around?

That's the 4-series, which is a significant downgrade. The 6-series at currently 65" runs $750 from Amazon, so it would be stretching your budget a bit already. It can be had for cheaper if you keep an eye out; I got mine on black friday for $600.

As for more steps up, I stopped researching once I realized consensus is on that for sweet spot. I'll defer to someone else in the thread. :)

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Arcsech posted:

I did this, except my plasma was (I think) one of the last models Panasonic made, purchased in 2013. Upgraded to a C9 early this year.

loving do it if you have the cash. It's not even a question. Every single aspect of this TV is way better than the old one. Hell, I might prefer this TV over going to the theater (tho I haven't had the chance to compare as I haven't been to the theater since I got it, because quarantine).

Hell, even my 65" Sony x900f has kinda ruined the theatre experience for me, it just looks so much better.

Recycled Karma
Jul 16, 2004
Grimey Drawer
I'm having a TV upgrade dilemma.

I was all ready to pull the trigger on a 65" LG C9 as an upgrade from a Panasonic ST60. I had planned to upgrade my receiver at the same time. However, there aren't any receivers on the market yet that pass the HDMI 2.1 stuff I care about (VRR, ALLM). I don't want to upgrade the receiver twice.

My current receiver a Yamaha RX-V477. I use the receiver as my HDMI switch. It will will pass 4k but not HDR. Because of the way the cables are run through the wall, it's not feasible to use the TV and run the audio back through ARC (or eARC).

Is it silly to upgrade the TV now knowing that I won't be able to really take advantage of it until I get a new receiver?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
How many input sources do you have? You can use optical or ARC to route audio through the receiver without using it as an HDMI switch.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Recycled Karma posted:

Is it silly to upgrade the TV now knowing that I won't be able to really take advantage of it until I get a new receiver?

Even if you can't get HDR through the receiver and all your devices have to go through it, you could ALSO set it up for ARC (I have a soundbar that is ARC most of the time, but also passes through my Switch) and get HDR with content from the built-in apps in the TV.

Recycled Karma
Jul 16, 2004
Grimey Drawer

American McGay posted:

How many input sources do you have? You can use optical or ARC to route audio through the receiver without using it as an HDMI switch.

5, though only 3 are used regularly (Switch, PS4, Roku). I already have an optical cable running back from the TV for OTA.

It looks like the apps on the TV would cover most of the channels we use on the Roku. The only things missing are the cable channel Go apps.

I could get away with hooking the PS4 and the receiver to the TV and use the apps for when someone cares enough for 4k HDR (likely only me). It's only one extra cable that way.

It's all controlled by a Harmony remote, so switching inputs and sources should be super easy.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I got off my rear end and both simplified and updated the OP.

Man, I was such a goober 7 years ago...

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Thanks, good job. Could you possibly include a quick caveat for non USA based goons that the advice applies to the USA mostly and that for example TCL panels sold in Europe are not as good value because they don’t include the same features (local dimming) etc that makes them the automatic budget recommendation? Maybe suggest that Europeans post itt for advice because we don’t have the same options as you do.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Sure, thanks.

Is HDTVTest.co.uk still the go-to site for europe?
You know... Brexit and all that.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 6, 2020

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Unfortunately that looks like a dead site and honestly I've not found an alternative to rtings that is anywhere near as comprehensive or aimed at people who want actual data and not generic "it looks good" style reviews.

Rtings covers all the major brands available worldwide so (with the point that the model names and numbers sometimes annoyingly don't match and you have to go hunting) it's still a useful resource for most, just when you get to the budget end most of the options aren't relevant if you're not in the US. So I don't know if there's any other sites worth linking in the OP.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
What's deal with a price difference like this for the same model TV LG C9, is it a trick?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I'm guessing it's one of those places that will take your money, not have that model in stock, never will, and try to talk you into buying a different model.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

UFOTacoMan posted:

What's deal with a price difference like this for the same model TV LG C9, is it a trick?

Probably very used/cosmetic damage?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://www.scampulse.com/silverstarav-reviews

https://bestbinaryoptionswatch.com/silverstarav-reviews/

https://www.scamadviser.com/check-website/silverstarav.com

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I'm guessing it's one of those places that will take your money, not have that model in stock, never will, and try to talk you into buying a different model.

beep by grandpa posted:

Probably very used/cosmetic damage?

:tipshat:

thanks!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

UFOTacoMan posted:

If you want a "deal" on the 9 series OLEDs, Best Buy was pretty aggressively clearing out their floor and open box stock to prep for the X's.

Buy a warranty plan and hope for the best. The other retailers will call you up to try and convince you to get the "12-bit US Panel much better" at like $3200" and may or may not deliver if you press for the deal price.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

If it sounds way too good to be true, 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999% of the time it is

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
eBay listings from sellers called something like AtlanticTech are usually legit and used by big box stores to liquidate stock.

Website listings from websites called something like JoesTVDeals.com are always scams.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Wouldn’t the feedback ratings for sellers be a good indicator, or are those no longer trustworthy?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
With eBay it's pretty easy to tell how reputable a seller is yeah, but with these scam websites it's a bit tricky because you can also find this page when searching about SilverstarAV.

https://www.shopperapproved.com/reviews/Silverstarav.com

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Josh Lyman posted:

Wouldn’t the feedback ratings for sellers be a good indicator, or are those no longer trustworthy?

Outside of eBay, but some sites use a scam where on checkout they require you to give a 5* review on a third party site. You can tell because the reviews are always full of things like “fast and easy process” “great prices” and most importantly “can’t wait to receive my TV”. Yeah, that TV ain’t coming and you’ve just contributed to the problem.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My TV stand saga has taken steps backward. I’m definitely not sticking with the War of the Worlds metal stand because that puts me $400 all in which is more than I want to spend and absolutely unacceptable for something I don’t 100% like.

In terms of pursuing the super long console look, this is without the metal stand. Although these 2x IKEA Hemnes won’t work because there’s no spot for my center speaker underneath, I still think it’s appealing:

I wanted to see what my setup would be like with a single stand and the glass end tables I put my speakers on have me thinking. A super long glass console is probably not possible since basically all glass TV stands and coffee tables aren’t shaped to put them side by side, but a single TV stand could work. The issue of course is that while the speakers may look cool on glass stands, the center speaker and A/V receiver may defeat the effect of a center glass stand. Importantly, the TV looks bigger on a solo stand vs long console.

In the likely event I go with wood or metal, I don’t think black will work. Even though the couch and drapes will be replaced (maybe coffee table too) and I’ll likely get a dark blue rug, I think it might just be too much black relative to the light hardwood floor and walls. It’s basically equivalent to a black leather couch—a visual black hole in your room:

Part of me thinks I should go for a medium colored wood stand plus speaker stands for $200-225 all in and be done with it. A medium colored long console would also work I guess but that puts me back in the $350-400 range and we have the problem of the TV looking smaller.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jun 7, 2020

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I don’t like glass because it gets dusty as gently caress.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Time to revisit wall mounting?

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

The TV looking smaller is a problem? :raise:

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Josh Lyman posted:

My TV stand saga has taken steps backward. I’m definitely not sticking with the War of the Worlds metal stand because that puts me $400 all in which is more than I want to spend and absolutely unacceptable for something I don’t 100% like.

In terms of pursuing the super long console look, this is without the metal stand. Although these 2x IKEA Hemnes won’t work because there’s no spot for my center speaker underneath, I still think it’s appealing:

I wanted to see what my setup would be like with a single stand and the glass end tables I put my speakers on have me thinking. A super long glass console is probably not possible since basically all glass TV stands and coffee tables aren’t shaped to put them side by side, but a single TV stand could work. The issue of course is that while the speakers may look cool on glass stands, the center speaker and A/V receiver may defeat the effect of a center glass stand. Importantly, the TV looks bigger on a solo stand vs long console.

In the likely event I go with wood or metal, I don’t think black will work. Even though the couch and drapes will be replaced (maybe coffee table too) and I’ll likely get a dark blue rug, I think it might just be too much black relative to the light hardwood floor and walls. It’s basically equivalent to a black leather couch—a visual black hole in your room:

Part of me thinks I should go for a medium colored wood stand plus speaker stands for $200-225 all in and be done with it. A medium colored long console would also work I guess but that puts me back in the $350-400 range and we have the problem of the TV looking smaller.

I am not a design expert but I think part of the problem is that dumb window behind your tv. Somebody else pointed it out, and they're right. Can you flip your TV and couch location? Are all the outlets on the window wall?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I wanna see your cat(s)

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
That setup is screamin' for a 77 incher babyyy

e: what is this, a TV for ants

Taima fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jun 7, 2020

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a 65" C9 but I've become aware that my Denon AVR 1613 isn't gonna be robust enough to fully support the 4K HDR. Some quick googling points me to Sony STR DH590 for an adequate replacement. I'm currently running a 5.1 setup, so at the bare minimum I'll need a receiver that supports as such.
Will that Sony suffice or should I look elsewhere?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You guys know you don't have to run video through your receiver right?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I somewhat enjoyed the cleanliness of not having a bunch of input cables going to the TV and keeping them tucked away in the console, but I see your point. I'll probably move forward with the C9 and only use the receiver for audio and not input switching and see if I can work with that.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

TheWevel posted:

I am not a design expert but I think part of the problem is that dumb window behind your tv. Somebody else pointed it out, and they're right. Can you flip your TV and couch location? Are all the outlets on the window wall?
The main problem with flipping the TV and couch is the TV wall is what you see from the rest of the apartment including the entryway and kitchen. That helps in terms of listening to music when I’m cooking or doing dishes or laundry, but it’s not the biggest deal in the world. This is the couch wall:

beep by grandpa posted:

I wanna see your cat(s)
Here’s my girl cat helping to assemble the Hemnes:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I do think it would look a lot better against that plain wall, although just taking it off those tripod legs is also an improvement.

Also, do your cats poo poo in that space age looking cryo pod next to the sofa?