Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Well I finished it, that's probably the worst storytelling I've ever actually sat through. And how many times per war level do I need to see Mads Mikkelsen do the army cool guy point thing

Game part of the game ruled though and the setting was really well done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

wyoak posted:

Well I finished it, that's probably the worst storytelling I've ever actually sat through. And how many times per war level do I need to see Mads Mikkelsen do the army cool guy point thing

Game part of the game ruled though and the setting was really well done

Uh, you need to see that every time because Mads Mikkelsen was cool and good. :colbert:

The storytelling is typical Kojima stuff, you either love it or hate it. I can't fault you for disliking it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Lobok posted:

Once that last fight was over I thought about the whole game and I was like "did I just play a weird take on Link's Awakening?"

-the big ol' whale
-beach/beaches
-imaginary people
-player's quest bringing about the end of the world

Also, the remake came out last year.

HOLY poo poo

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

On second thought, if the name hadn't been taken I suppose Sam could also have been named Link!

And if I'm gonna really reach for similarities both have clear references to Mario games.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Bridge Links To The Past

night slime
May 14, 2014
If you start a new LA save file and name it Sam BB's theme starts playing

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

was just watching Alien Covenant and huh.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
https://www.rollingstone.com/cultur...forever-204868/

:hai:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

That article owns.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Necrothatcher posted:

That article owns.

It's always fun reading one of these from him because you can tell the hammy, ad nauseum symbology that is all over MGS and DS aren't just an act, he really sees that poo poo everywhere in real life too.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

was just watching Alien Covenant and huh.

The Marines in Aliens had lights like that mounted to their armor now that I think of it.

Is Covenant worth a watch in your opinion?

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

madeintaipei posted:

The Marines in Aliens had lights like that mounted to their armor now that I think of it.

its loving terrible garbage

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

I liked the costuming in Alien: Covenant. Its like if you got North Face to design space gear

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

slow_twitch posted:

its loving terrible garbage

I watched Prometheus in theaters, that wouldn't stop me.

FATHER!

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

madeintaipei posted:

I liked it better than Prometheus. Granted that's a pretty low bar...

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch
If you got time to watch every insipid Marvel film and flavor-of-the-month Netflix-exclusive you can make time to watch Ridley Scott's silly space adventure starring Kenny Powers and Young Magneto.

It's fine.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It’s actually real bad.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

I've been collecting all of the memory chips and I'm really into how the collectables in this game aren't necessarily more bits of lore or world-class building, it's just Hideo Kojima's blog about stuff he thinks is cool.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I just got this game with a new PS4 Pro and I am really liking it. I’m slowly making my way through this old thread to see what answers and fun posts I can find. It’s a great game.

I have one big question though, I just got to the end of chapter 2/beginning of chapter 3 where mama warns you about leaving on the ship. I then looked up on the internet which missions I should be doing, and I am a bit confused. I have done all of the missions that felt like “main missions”, ie the ones that got me here, but I know at several places (distro center, etc) in the chapter 2 area there’s still a few “missions for Sam” at each place that have you go back and forth between the three main places. Some results on google say that all of these are main missions. I honestly thought they were skippable side missions. Do I need to complete all of those main deliveries before leaving? What do I get for doing that? I don’t really understand yet what the rewards for being so liked are.

As my first game on the ps4 pro after having an Xbox one x for a while, this poo poo is just gorgeous. I don’t know if other games on ps4 look like this too but it’s really uncanny sometimes.

Anyways thanks for the help.

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747
You can stick around and keep doing deliveries or come back for them later, I don't remember being locked out of anything by progressing the story

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You'll be able to come back but not for quite some time. She and Tutorial Hardman mean just what they say in this instance, if you have any active orders they will be canceled (and considered to be failed) when you leave, so finish those up before you head out.

Orders For Sam are the game's plot missions, almost anything under that header will progress the game and eventually needs to be done, save a few tiny tutorial ones. For example there's one about testing out the blood grenades that you CAN skip but you really probably shouldn't. Any Order For Sam wherein you're headed to connect another facility will progress the game's story so don't do those if you want to put it off for whatever reason.

Standard Orders are infinitely repeatable and come in all shapes and sizes, letting you rank up the connection level stars for each facility. Doing so gets you schematics for better versions of your current gear, or sometimes new gear, along with lore logs and holograms for customizing the structures you build.

There's no urgent need to get a facility to 5 stars as soon as you connect it but you should keep it in mind in case you're gonna pass by one on the way to another delivery.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jun 5, 2020

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Personally if you're going to bother five-starring the Eastern region, I recommend coming back later after you finish unlocking all of your structure options. Ziplines make that area so much easier, you can skip right past any bottlenecks stuffed with BTs.

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Zonko_T.M. posted:

I've been collecting all of the memory chips and I'm really into how the collectables in this game aren't necessarily more bits of lore or world-class building, it's just Hideo Kojima's blog about stuff he thinks is cool.

It's awesome, I listened to all the albums and have been working my way through all the movies that are mentioned (at least the ones I haven't already seen). On a side note, Nicolas Winding Refn directed/wrote a ton of my favourite movies, including the Pusher series, Bronson and Drive.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Covenant is fine for schlock. The worst part about it is that it probably set back Danny McBrides non comedy acting career.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
Covenant is a good sequel to Prometheus, but shits the bed in the last half-hour when they remember, "Oh poo poo, we've got Alien in the title and haven't had any proper aliens." Michael Fassbender at least manages to give good performances and Covenant has the benefit of double the Fass!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Covenant is alright once they get to Michael Fassbender's haunted mansion.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Just wondering if there’s a way to know how many people are playing the game actively? I am in chapter 3 and just built a road. I see a lot of roads and ladders, and urine mushrooms around. I wonder if this stuff is like months old, (this would be sad) or all recent and signs of current players? I really hope there’s a bunch of active players. The social aspects are so amazing, and must’ve just been mind blowing when the game first came out and a highway probably popped up overnight. Seems like the highway in area 2 only goes to about as far as the elderly guy.

How long do roads last after you build them? They have that effect of decomposing, but there’s no indication of how long they last until they need to be rebuilt?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Blind Rasputin posted:

Just wondering if there’s a way to know how many people are playing the game actively? I am in chapter 3 and just built a road. I see a lot of roads and ladders, and urine mushrooms around. I wonder if this stuff is like months old, (this would be sad) or all recent and signs of current players? I really hope there’s a bunch of active players. The social aspects are so amazing, and must’ve just been mind blowing when the game first came out and a highway probably popped up overnight. Seems like the highway in area 2 only goes to about as far as the elderly guy.

How long do roads last after you build them? They have that effect of decomposing, but there’s no indication of how long they last until they need to be rebuilt?

Roads are practically indestructible. You can check the damage of a given segment at its autopaver but you won’t need to unless you’re playing the game every day for a year.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Oh wow. So you build if/it’s built then it will be there for your entire play through? I just got the impression from the auto pavers being at like 70% full commonly that the road must wear out, and the paver needs topping off to bring it back. Don’t ask me to explain how such a mechanic would work in real life.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If you go to your private room, using the Terminal you can see your "Bridge Links". That'll show you every player connected to your server clump whose structures can appear in your game world. As you level up your Porter Rank by doing deliveries, more people will appear on that list and thus more structures. Stuff like cairns and pee mushrooms and dirt paths are independant of that and are from totally random players I think, as are roads which pull from some massive unknown pool of resources. Some of the stuff you're seeing is from months and months ago, the server clusters keep track of everything a player has built unless they delete their main profile date save (separate from gameplay save files).

edit: And yeah, roads DO decay but it's so slow that I've never seen it happen even after completing all 500 of the game's optional orders just to chillax. Not even close. Normal structures decay much faster though, some of my earlier structures were ashes by the end of my first playthrough.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jun 6, 2020

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Once you complete a road segment, the game will show you messages that other players are contributing supplies to repair them, I assume when those players are adding materials to build their own roads. I'm in the post game wrapping up an attempt at platinum and haven't had any issues with the roads I've built. The last one I checked was at like 80% damage, and it's in a later area that doesn't get much support. By the time you reach the mountains the roads are a lot more work because A) you have to connect one of the preppers who takes forever to join and his network chunk covers 3 or 4 paver, unless you want to fill all of the pavers 100% by yourself, B) there are like five segments you need to fill to cross one large but very flat meadow that is very easy to just drive through and C) all of those segments past the northern incinerator are way more expensive than the other road sections.

I do worry about my ziplines wearing out a lot. I usually carry an extra PCC just in case I ever come across one that's totally worn out, but the truth is the worst I've ever found one was at 50%. I have found other people's structures worn completely out, which was neat. Not sure why their stuff wore down but mine is still ok? I guess it depends on how much timefall that area is coded for.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
This is perhaps a silly question, but: Two of the unlockable structure holograms are a raccoon and a goose. Are they... used anywhere? Has anyone actually seen the real raccoon or goose ingame? There are birds off in the distance flying around some structures like the busted up buildings near Capital Knot City, but they're not the goose if you zoom in with photo mode.

edit: Found the raccoon just by looking it up, sometimes the Spiritualist has a pet raccoon hanging out with her. You can unlock a hologram of it by itself from her for some reason.

Also for the record, there is a reason to actually use the animal holograms, it makes your BB laugh and you get Likes from it when you use the structure :unsmith:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jun 7, 2020

night slime
May 14, 2014
Maybe it's because BB is a silly goose.

https://horizonzerodawn.fandom.com/wiki/Goose This was the only thing I could think of, maybe.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My god.

It does appear to be the same goose model. A connected universe, and the threads are geese. Thanks Decima!

night slime
May 14, 2014
Pretty cool I guessed it. I played Horizon Zero Dawn for a little bit but never remembered any geese, just thought that maybe because of the other holograms it might be from there. I googled and all I found was this one Reddit post asking and a bunch of stuff about Untitled Goose Game awards.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I'm enjoying this game but i kinda wish there was no story and they just dumped all the resources in to the gameplay and world cause i'm really enjoying doing deliveries and find the cutscenes get in the way.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I mean you can sort of have that if you just speedrun the story mode and then do everything else afterwards.

I might be in the minority on this one but I wish there was more time and gadgetry spent on your time on foot, mt climbing and hiking. Like I would not be at all sad if the entire first half of the game was more "local" and had no vehicles involved and THEN expanded into highways/vehicles/ziplines.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 10, 2020

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I mean you can sort of have that if you just speedrun the story mode and then do everything else afterwards.

I might be in the minority on this one but I wish there was more time and gadgetry spent on your time on foot, mt climbing and hiking. Like I would not be at all sad if the entire first half of the game was more "local" and had no vehicles involved and THEN expanded into highways/vehicles/ziplines.

Yeah I think it could have introduced the exoskeletons and hover carriers first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'm doing an "offline" playthrough at the moment, it's basically that. Much more walking.